Maps

pkdmslf

Feb 26, 2015
Aridzona
Detector(s) used
El Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a link to the Superstition Search And Rescue website. They have some nice topo maps with hiking trails throughout the Superstitions. Good reference material for those who have not had the opportunity to go into the mountains themselves.

Please post maps that you are willing to share related to the LDM and Superstition Mountains.

Would be interesting to see some topo maps overlaid or in addition to some GE imagery. Especially older maps.

Superstition Search And Rescue - Area Maps

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Many of the questions you and other newcomers ask have already been answered many times over in this forum.

If only you'd spend a little time reading through the threads in the archives, you'll find your answers and much more.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not a "newcomer" to the LDM history, just to this forum. I just wrote a thought. If I have a question, I will post it in the appropriate section/s.

Where's your map/s?

Did not mean to imply you were a newcomer to the game, just this forum.

No offense, but the link to the SAR website has been given only around a dozen times so far (to use as an example).

The maps that I have no problem sharing or revealing, have already been posted many times over.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Many of the questions you and other newcomers ask have already been answered many times over in this forum.

If only you'd spend a little time reading through the threads in the archives, you'll find your answers and much more.

That's a good point, but with 300 threads and 30,000 posts in the Lost Dutchman category alone to sort through, it's quite a daunting task for most interested newcomers. Sometimes it's much easier to ask questions. Also, with all the coffee-clatch social media-like bantering and off-topic ranting and flaming here, it makes things doubly daunting to find stuff.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those SARS maps are awesome! I've used them for years and love em.

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did not mean to imply you were a newcomer to the game, just this forum.
No offense, but the link to the SAR website has been given only around a dozen times so far (to use as an example).
The maps that I have no problem sharing or revealing, have already been posted many times over.

Amen to that deducer.. Yes much information is here. Yes it is impossible for the casual TNer to sort through thousands of pages. Searching for a map or image. I have tried to keep up with SPANISH Treasure signs & symbols. Not only a continuous search, so many duplicates are scattered here and there I "need" a database. Database referencving images, maps, locations, photos and links to other sites it is extraordinarily difficult to sort out manually. Clue..

As for LDM and the bozos on the cable network, I and most members of TN probably know more than they do. About signs.. warnings throughout the canyons. Fun to watch but too amateurish for real hunters. Yes a certain carved or painted symbol may be important. Without detailed context of the surrounding areas, previous markers, next sign and pictures of every one, they risk their lives as well as people watching. What they describe as difficult country looks more like a day hike to a typical ghost town.

It is also illegal in Colorado anyway, to kill rattlers just for grins. WTF..

Back to stuff people want to see save and print.. what do you forum guys suggest? You understand where all the archived stuff is. Give us a clue how retrieve it?
BB

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a good point, but with 300 threads and 30,000 posts in the Lost Dutchman category alone to sort through, it's quite a daunting task for most interested newcomers.

Amen to that deducer.. Yes much information is here. Yes it is impossible for the casual TNer to sort through thousands of pages.

Not easy, yes; but not impossible. I have done that with not just TNET, but two other forums as well.

One benefit of researching the archives is you get different points of views and opinions on any given thing, such as Bark's notes, for example. Ideas, or clues that you, yourself, would have never thought of. And those ideas or thoughts are the culmination of that person's many years of legwork and research, so you are getting the benefit of that as well.

In fact, it was the best thing I ever did.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I went through my old notes and came across a post from the "other" LDM site. The author goes by the name of "Aurum". From his post:
<< With Jake everything came down to money or a trade off and I wanted to know so I told him right out,the word was indian, Apache, and it
meant literally, the Sun's metal or, yellow metal.>>

A map of the Military Trail through the SWA would be something worth posting.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I went through my old notes and came across a post from the "other" LDM site. The author goes by the name of "Aurum". From his post:
<< With Jake everything came down to money or a trade off and I wanted to know so I told him right out,the word was indian, Apache, and it
meant literally, the Sun's metal or, yellow metal
.>>

pkdmslf,

What was the Apache word?

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I have no experience with the Apache language. I was reading through some old posts that I saved and I came across the post by "Aurum". It was relate to the Haywood map and the "Indian Word". I guessed it was Peshkitzo. I could be wrong. Also it was Crazy Jake's interpretation according to the post.

pkdmslf,

Well......Aurum should know. I know a little Western and Jicarilla Apache. Neither seem to have the "p" sound in their speech. They substitute a "B" for the "P" in Apache. Abaachii.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
pkdmslf,

Well......Aurum should know. I know a little Western and Jicarilla Apache. Neither seem to have the "p" sound in their speech. They substitute a "B" for the "P" in Apache. Abaachii.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
Is he an Apache? I would like to learn the meaning of Peshkitzo and the history of the two maps.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Is he an Apache? I would like to learn the meaning of Peshkitzo and the history of the two maps.

Hal,

Mr. Roberts is not an Apache.

As I stated, I don't believe the Apache had any words that begin with a "P". If you are going to research the word, start with besh (metal) instead of pesh.......try besh lltsog (yellow) or besh leetsoh (also yellow). Matthew could probably give you a better answer, but he is no longer on the forum, as far as I know.

Good luck,

Joe

AuTSaurus

Feb 22, 2007
So. Ca.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Goldbug2, Fisher CZ, White's Goldmaster, Vallon
Hmmm...

"Peshkitzo" ....... "Besh leetsoh" ??? Sounds, the same to me...

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal,

Mr. Roberts is not an Apache.

As I stated, I don't believe the Apache had any words that begin with a "P". If you are going to research the word, start with besh (metal) instead of pesh.......try besh lltsog (yellow) or besh leetsoh (also yellow). Matthew could probably give you a better answer, but he is no longer on the forum, as far as I know.

Good luck,

Joe
Thanks for the advice! I have a few hours looking into Peshkitzo. If we were in Afghanistan that word might make some sense but alas...

I would like to get your advice on the origins of the two maps. At first look they are similar but there are actually a few important differences. Do we know their origin? Did Johnny K draw them both?

As you know it was the Haywood story that got me interested in the SWA and by chance, my placement of the stones seems to reinforce his story. Just a theory but I do believe that his mine is recorded on the stones.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice! I have a few hours looking into Peshkitzo. If we were in Afghanistan that word might make some sense but alas...

I would like to get your advice on the origins of the two maps. At first look they are similar but there are actually a few important differences. Do we know their origin? Did Johnny K draw them both?

As you know it was the Haywood story that got me interested in the SWA and by chance, my placement of the stones seems to reinforce his story. Just a theory but I do believe that his mine is recorded on the stones.

It means "Only alone Fish" I assume it's talking about a symbol.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread