What do you think these say?

Matt27

Mar 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and girls. Im a new member to this website and thought that I may be able to post some pictures from my hike into the mountains today. I saw some interesting markings and possibly symbols. Wondering what you guys make out of the pictures or what you see in the symbols. Ill will reserve my thoughts til after a few people post just so I don't persuade someone into my thoughts.

If you could possibly tell me what these symbols mean or what the date means to you if anything.

Do they seem real? 20150322_084325.jpg 20150322_084433.jpg 20150322_084437.jpg 20150322_085841.jpg

Just label them picture 1,2,3,4 left to right. Picture 2 is meant to be seen up and down with the B? at the top. The last 2 are the same image just taken from different angles

Any help would be great.
Matt

WILTON

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What mountains? Were these close together or spread out along a trail?

OP
OP
M

Matt27

Mar 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys. its in the superstition mountains. west of tortilla flats. picture 1 is at the entrance to a cave. the other symbols are on a large boulder about 10 feet away from picture 1 just inside the cave. The boulder itself is about 10'x10' by 6' tall

R

RMG1976

Those are pretty neat looking. Would have loved to see those in person.

Im sure one of these guys here can figure it out.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
+1 was carved by someone trying to mislead Dutch hunters. The other one was probably a tourist or drunk/stoned teenager.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and girls. Im a new member to this website and thought that I may be able to post some pictures from my hike into the mountains today. I saw some interesting markings and possibly symbols. Wondering what you guys make out of the pictures or what you see in the symbols. Ill will reserve my thoughts til after a few people post just so I don't persuade someone into my thoughts.

If you could possibly tell me what these symbols mean or what the date means to you if anything.

Do they seem real? View attachment 1135042

Just label them picture 1,2,3,4 left to right. Picture 2 is meant to be seen up and down with the B? at the top. The last 2 are the same image just taken from different angles

Any help would be great.
Matt

1783 May be a distance possibly? Look for a shadow cross to the right.

Or it simply means "Jesuit Mission, 1783 Cross Arrow Lane, 77777

The other stuff is from the feared but admired Indian Tribe the Yankee Doodles.

Actually I would metal detect 1783 feet away.

That's 1783 Spanish Feet if were Indian feet it would be Apache standard feet which means you will come to a cliff jump and yell "Geronimo".

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

Do they seem real? View attachment 1135039 View attachment 1135040 View attachment 1135041 View attachment 1135042

Any help would be great.
Matt

Matt
When you make these type of discoveries always try (if possible) to take a close up of the marks at the highest resolution possible. As close as you can get - macro even better.

What they say is pointless until you know approximately when they were made which, is sometimes possible.

B
o
o
t
y

Treasure-15th century

B
O
o
T
Y

Bottom - 1928

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Matt27

Mar 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thank you for everyone who posted.

I really appreciate the tips Hal. Hopefully we can date some items left in this cave. I will try and take clearer pictures on the highest resolution. I appreciate that tip.

We thought it said the same. 1783 with a cross. We also think it says booty. The other image we have no idea. maybe a guy trapped under a rock. I believe that this boulder may have been a booby trap. Especially by its positioning.

The writing was enscribed using pieces of ash from a very old piece of burned timber. We are trying to date the burn marks and see how old they are. There is also 2 Maxwell house coffee tins up there that are now empty. Trying to get somebody to date those cans from a few pictures. Maybe it will lead us to how long ago someone was up in this cave.

Again I appreciate all the comments. Including the very witty ones.

Matt

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Ok thank you for everyone who posted.

I really appreciate the tips Hal. Hopefully we can date some items left in this cave. I will try and take clearer pictures on the highest resolution. I appreciate that tip.

We thought it said the same. 1783 with a cross. We also think it says booty. The other image we have no idea. maybe a guy trapped under a rock. I believe that this boulder may have been a booby trap. Especially by its positioning.

The writing was enscribed using pieces of ash from a very old piece of burned timber. We are trying to date the burn marks and see how old they are. There is also 2 Maxwell house coffee tins up there that are now empty. Trying to get somebody to date those cans from a few pictures. Maybe it will lead us to how long ago someone was up in this cave.

Again I appreciate all the comments. Including the very witty ones.

Matt

Don't ignore the dot besides the letter B .

Good Luck and let us know how you make out!
PS....buy a cheap black light for your next trip and shoot a few using only it for light.

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now this is strange but in the Travis Marlowe article in Life Magazine I just posted he calls people that steal his sites for digging 'Booty Snatchers" just like written on the rock face.

Tidbit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread