Video - Journey to the Bat Cave

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello RG1976

Thank you for the film both Clips.:thumbsup: I enjoyed them both, it provokes a lot points.....

Your clip highlighted the manipulation of a new breed film makers that have crept into documentary production these days. As for me it answers at lot of questions how Documentary makers can really butcher at story. I notice there has been a flood of documentary makers contacting Tnet in last few years all hyped about making treasure documentaries. But sadly they are producing very poor quality programs lacking Substance. For them the treasure was quick buck from the networks rather than quality.

Sadly this I feel in time, many of these cheap and nasty so called reality docs will having detrimental affects on people who do real research. Just as the cheap and nasty books written by authors on treasure in 1930's for a quick buck did to treasure researchers.

Denigrating the topic to the point where all legends treasure legends becomes seen as the Provence of the lunatic fringe. Thus frightening away serious interest by archeologists, historians and serious researchers thus losing a crucial research component in a phenomenon that has been part of our history for thousands of years.

Crow

My thoughts exactly.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work, really enjoyed the video, great commentary as well.

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will say that the cave you found was very possibly made by the hand of man simply because no water staining was visible on its roof that would have allowed for it to form as a natural cave.
Not a chance it's man made. Remember... that area was highly volcanic several millions of years ago. You're going to have pockets/caves etc here and there where the lava cooled or flowed over/under various other stata or formations. In addition to that, add in some major flooding and water movement and that's how you get your divots, caves, and huge boulders out in the middle of nowhere. Like I said, trying to figure out mother nature and her quirky ways are what spawned many a career.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm talking about the smaller cave he found while hiking up, NOT the bat cave. I'll stick by my opinion on that cave.

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm talking about the smaller cave he found while hiking up, NOT the bat cave. I'll stick by my opinion on that cave.
My bad, I thought you were referring to the bat cave. The little pocket cave/mine was man made. Obviously somebody saw something that was worth digging for. I would be curious to know what the country rock was and if there was a mineralized vein of some sort.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was a great video all around, nice recovery on the slide.....

talus and broken rocks always got my shins when climbing queen creek and apache lake stuff.

its sharp as a razor and brittle

liked the rock formations and walls, waterstreaks and the massive overhangs are nice to monkey around on

you should get into rock climbing

Klems

Jul 12, 2012
San Diego, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great video Ryan, I would most definitely rather watch this than anything made by a production company. You tell it how it is and leave out all the drama. Please do keep making more, I'm interested in what else you may find!

-Kevin

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ryan,

I'm honored you took extra time with the cable. That's neat. Thank you very much.

Lisarez66

Dec 5, 2014
EastCoast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher
GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait, throwing a rock into tall grass, checking for rattlesnakes. There has to be a better way. Really does it work?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Ryan, enjoy your videos, was wondering about this rock, maybe you
have a better high def img, you can get off your phone, it looks like
carving,head looking rock in background, prob graffiti someones int.
the rock in the foreground looks like an animal stained/painted
@ about 12:32 in your vid
rock sup1.png
closer
rock sup 2.png

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Wait, throwing a rock into tall grass, checking for rattlesnakes. There has to be a better way. Really does it work?

use your walking stick and rattle the bushes in front of you as you walk...just remember rattlers dont always rattle

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I never go hiking without a walking stick. However in regards to your question. If a snake is in there and if the rock hits any where near it the snake is startled and should rattle. However I have seen Mojave Greens strike with out making a sound, so it could go either way some snakes are just meaner then others.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I never go hiking without a walking stick. However in regards to your question. If a snake is in there and if the rock hits any where near it the snake is startled and should rattle. However I have seen Mojave Greens strike with out making a sound, so it could go either way some snakes are just meaner then others.

yep....i've seen a few mean aggressive snakes but a walking stick and a pair of snake guards will make you pretty snake proof

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I walk with a telescopic carbon-fiber walking stick and like to whack the bushes ahead of me before I put my foot in there.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Guano is not a mineral.

I'm no expert on mining claims but I did a quick google check and found the following excerpt from an internet document.

Mineral Information Service
State of California Division of Mines
Volume 13 No. 4 - April 1960
Mining Claims under Public Law 167

"To gain legal right to a bat guano deposit, a location notice must be filed with the county recorder (of the county wherein the deposit lies) in the normal manner for locating any mineral deposit on public land."

It just seems that an interested party might be able to find who built the ladder and when the ladder was built and how long the claim was in operation.

I suspect it is a lot easier and more fun to just speculate.:)

Garry

Last edited:
OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq & Vaquero

Leupold BX-3 Mojave & RX1200i Rangefinder
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no expert on mining claims but I did a quick google check and found the following excerpt from an internet document.

Mineral Information Service
State of California Division of Mines
Volume 13 No. 4 - April 1960
Mining Claims under Public Law 167

"To gain legal right to a bat guano deposit, a location notice must be filed with the county recorder (of the county wherein the deposit lies) in the normal manner for locating any mineral deposit on public land."

It just seems that an interested party might be able to find who built the ladder and when the ladder was built and how long the claim was in operation.

I suspect it is a lot easier and more fun to just speculate.:)

Garry

I nominate @Hal Croves He loves doing that type of stuff

OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq & Vaquero

Leupold BX-3 Mojave & RX1200i Rangefinder
Primary Interest:
Other

I thankfully cannot tell you if it works or not, because I have yet to see any snakes on any of my adventures *knock on wood*

The only thing I can confirm is that when you throw the rocks in the grass - the lizards run out pretty quick - so I imagine a snake would make it self known as well.

I haven't ever used a walking stick before - but see a lot of people that do. Perhaps I should look into it!

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The Pacific Guano company was pretty active in Arizona, I believe. Might be worth researching to see if they contracted with anyone working out of the Supes.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't ever used a walking stick before - but see a lot of people that do. Perhaps I should look into it!

Highly recommended, especially a collapsible carbon-fiber or aluminum one. It has multiple uses- for checking out holes, turning things over, and poking bushes. I've also found it useful for navigating very steep terrain; it's almost like a third leg.

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even though you may still have to file a notice of location, guano is not a locatable mineral like gold is, and thus any claims are not patentable. It is a leasable product (phosphate) in which you pay royalties to the county, state, and feds. With gold you pay no royalties. That's the difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread