Video - Journey to the Bat Cave

Rick4570

Jun 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, Minelab 800 Equinox, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again a well done documentary Ryan. I can only say that you have more balls than some here going out there all alone and doing this video. thanks again for sharing with all of us here. can't wait for another video...
Rick

OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq & Vaquero

Leupold BX-3 Mojave & RX1200i Rangefinder
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again a well done documentary Ryan. I can only say that you have more balls than some here going out there all alone and doing this video. thanks again for sharing with all of us here. can't wait for another video...
Rick

Thank you, Rick!! I appreciate that!!

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello RG1976

Thank you for the film both Clips.:thumbsup: I enjoyed them both, it provokes a lot points.....

Your clip highlighted the manipulation of a new breed film makers that have crept into documentary production these days. As for me it answers at lot of questions how Documentary makers can really butcher at story. I notice there has been a flood of documentary makers contacting Tnet in last few years all hyped about making treasure documentaries. But sadly they are producing very poor quality programs lacking Substance. For them the treasure was quick buck from the networks rather than quality.

Sadly this I feel in time, many of these cheap and nasty so called reality docs will having detrimental affects on people who do real research. Just as the cheap and nasty books written by authors on treasure in 1930's for a quick buck did to treasure researchers.

Denigrating the topic to the point where all legends treasure legends becomes seen as the Provence of the lunatic fringe. Thus frightening away serious interest by archeologists, historians and serious researchers thus losing a crucial research component in a phenomenon that has been part of our history for thousands of years.

Crow

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At 5:49 look at that big heart top right about 1 oclock position.
Even the sides around the bottom look like they where man made.
That is some serious gouges there.
Hearts hearts every where.
Thanks for the video.

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks.
Do all of us tnetters stay up so late, or just us arizoners.
Some time I need to tag a long.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great video Ryan. And I can only imagine the journey this must have been for you. Thanks for taking us along (without the blood, sweat, and bruises).

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Your clip highlighted the manipulation of a new breed film makers that have crept into documentary production these days. As for me it answers at lot of questions how Documentary makers can really butcher at story. I notice there has been a flood of documentary makers contacting Tnet in last few years all hyped about making treasure documentaries. But sadly they are producing very poor quality programs lacking Substance. For them the treasure was quick buck from the networks rather than quality.

Sadly this I feel in time, many of these cheap and nasty so called reality docs will having detrimental affects on people who do real research. Just as the cheap and nasty books written by authors on treasure in 1930's for a quick buck did to treasure researchers.

Crow,

Couldn't have said it better. Except those aren't really documentary filmmakers in the true sense of the word, just low quality "reality show" content producers.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hello RG1976

Thank you for the film both Clips.:thumbsup: I enjoyed them both, it provokes a lot points.....

Denigrating the topic to the point where all legends treasure legends becomes seen as the Provence of the lunatic fringe. Thus frightening away serious interest by archeologists, historians and serious researchers thus losing a crucial research component in a phenomenon that has been part of our history for thousands of years.

Crow
I think that you described the problem perfectly.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryan,

Enjoyed the video. Thanks for all your effort in producing it.

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice video. You captured the beauty and the ruggedness of the SWA perfectly. Just a couple things. Who ever told you to throw a rock to check for snakes is full of it. Unless you bonk a snake right on top of the head with it, you're not going rouse them. Best protection for snakes is wearing gaiters and watching where you place your hands. You did good on realizing the need for massive quantities of water. Too many people venture out only carrying a bottle or two of water with them, and somehow think that will last them all day long. The minute I saw Frank and his crew carrying a little bottle of water (no Camelbacks ) with them, and were supposedly hiking deep into the hills, I immediately knew the show was a fake! They were probably no more than a couple hundred yards from their trucks at any one time. Keep those videos coming, as I enjoy seeing what's on that side of town. You also really need to study up on your geology. There's all kinds of geological data and mining reports available for the SWA and surrounding areas. Know your geology and that will lead you to what little mines there are/were in that area. Maybe next trip out you'll find some pocket diggings and can show that in your videos. Good luck.... :thumbsup:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Video and tour!

I like the fact you pointed out the Janus stone faces on your way in!

In the show we saw from a distance Wayne's partner climb that ladder all the way up your saying you don't think he did that?
I love the country your in up there and I loved it when I hiked those rugged killer mountains myself.

I think I'll have to get up there sometime soon and see it again!

Good Work Ryan!

Keep it up!

OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq & Vaquero

Leupold BX-3 Mojave & RX1200i Rangefinder
Primary Interest:
Other
@ BVI Hunter Thank you - I am glad you enjoyed the video. Its a tremendous amount of work putting these together. It takes nearly as long to produce it on the computer as it does to hike the entire canyon. The episode in the series is 6, where you can see how the production company made their version of the cave. As Ive mentioned quite a few times prior to posting the video yesterday, I never had the intention of climbing the ladder into the cave. My guess is the ladder is 200-300 feet tall - and going into places like that alone - it just wouldn't be a smart decision on my part. Further - I explained in the video that I had met someone that I refer to as the "Bee-Keeper" that had been up there quite a bit. I showed him video of the series that I played on my phone, and he just started laughing.

The section on this website where I made that post is here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost-dutchman-s-mine/447362-new-show-dutchman-102.html#post4442446

@Old Thank you! I hope that you were able to get a better understanding of the cable system for the bat guano. I was doing that part of the video for you!

@azblackbird Yes - I do need to learn geology. I am still VERY new to all of this. One month ago, I wouldn't have ever though i'd be this far involved. If you have any clues / tips for me on geology, or books you recommend, please let me know!

@Bill Riley Janus stone faces? I had no idea I was even doing that! lol Do I believe that one of the guys from the series climbed the ladder, yes absolutely! We saw it happen on the series and it wasn't some CGI effect or something. What I don't believe, as well as many others here & the "bee-keeper" is that the footage shown inside the "Jesuit Cross Cave" was shot inside the "bat cave" but somewhere else entirely. You and I should get together and make a video sometime - but don't be mad at me if I don't see what you do! Im still learning and trying to keep an open mind.

@crow thanks for the great viewpoint on reality television. Im sure the last thing on the producers mind would be someone like me coming behind them just days after the series aired to fact check them. I'll be curious to see what they do for season 2 now and if they try to be more secretive to try and ensure I can't make more videos. There are too many informed folks here on TNet that email me locations where the series was shot. If it wasn't for their help, I wouldn't have been able to make these videos at all.

The rest of the videos that I have planned have nothing to do with the series, but investigating more into Jesuit / Peralta / Dutchman Lore. We are coming up on summer here any day, so that will def. be a big blockade from me adventuring out however. With it being Easter today, unsure I will have the time to produce the video "Adventures into the Superstition Wilderness Area". The next places I would like to visit are Black Top Mesa & hieroglyphic Canyon. If anyone has any suggestions (that don't involve a tent or camping) I'd love to hear.

Still amazed that @roadrunner caught the heart in the top of that slot canyon wall in my video. Here is a closer screen grab from the video. To me, there is no way that is a natural formation. Its too perfect.

Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 9.20.56 AM.png

Last edited:

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@azblackbird Yes - I do need to learn geology. I am still VERY new to all of this. One month ago, I wouldn't have ever though i'd be this far involved. If you have any clues / tips for me on geology, or books you recommend, please let me know!
Your best bet is pull up all the USGS reports on what areas are of interest to you. The geology of AZ can change drastically from a few hundred feet to the next few hundred feet. Most mining districts here in AZ have their own geological uniqueness depending on what the prevalent minerals you are seeking. I still have a lot to learn myself.

Regarding the "heart"... mother nature works in mysterious ways. You'll discover that the more you get out and about. Here's a few examples that I always enjoyed...

Lower-Antelope-Canyon-9039.jpg double-arch-in-arches-national-park.jpg mexican-hat-rock-formation.jpg

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this video! You did another great job on this!

The only comment I has is to not fall prey to the same mindset so many do when they see rocks that they think are formed by the hand of man. I honestly didn't see a single rock that had been carved or created by man to obtain its current shape. Mother Nature has the ability to create all kinds of shapes that we tend to find familiar forms with. That includes pyramid shapes, rocks with faces, and rocks that look like animals. The black square you found was a naturally forming mineral inclusion in the stone.

Again GREAT JOB! Keep up the excellent work!

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say that the cave you found was very possibly made by the hand of man, simply because no water staining was visible on its roof that would have allowed for it to form as a natural cave. And instead you see many large rock chips on the floor with sharp edges. Having found many caves high in the Rockies, both natural and man made, I usually find that large rock chips with sharp edges indicate the hand of man being involved, while large grain silt on the floor without any large rock chips usually indicate a cave formed through natural forces.

As well, I would speak with Gollum about the idea the Jesuits were active in this area. He is the expert on them and I would defer to his opinions on that front. I'm also not aware that any "confederates" were in this area, but as always I may be wrong about that. Can anyone point to any proof confederates were involved in removing guano from the bat cave? I would be interested in learning if I am right or wrong about that.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Ryan,

Enjoyed the Video!

Does anyone know whether you would need to file a mining claim to mine for guano? I guess I would have said yes if the miners were establishing a permanent claim that they were going to be working a significant amount of time.

What's the difference in mining for guano or gold? :)

Garry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions