Legend of the Stone Maps

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I posted this......elsewhere tonight:

For some time now, I have had my doubts that the Stone Maps would lead anyone to a treasure or viable mine. That's not to say that the locations marked on the maps have never led to anything of importance, perhaps after the fact.

As more information has come out concerning the stones themselves, including Travis carving them, I have wondered how he could have made such accurate maps without spending years in the range. Not only are the maps topographically (for the most part) accurate, but the stories and legends of the Superstition Mountains are woven into them.

The most likely scenario here, is that Travis was sold a map, not stone, and he found a number of clues that convinced him it was a true waybill. One of the people he met around the mountains had to be the author. After following the map and finding many of the symbols and markers right where the map showed them, and yet no treasure.

His supposed area of search was away from the area he actually searched, as he still felt something might be there. He came to realize that a book and some dramatic forms of the map's were his path to some measure of wealth. They would finance his real area of interest. He never found a buyer or completed his book before his death. It was his wife who finally found a "sucker".

Just one man's theory.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo.

I am surprised that you posted that cactusjumper. You have proof that another group of people were following a similar if not the same set of stones, in the same area, years before Travis became involved. So, before any objective person could possibly come to the conclusion that Travis carved the stone maps, that person would have to first explain the fact that another man, with connections to the Tumlinson clan, was using a set of stone maps to find treasure, in the same general area, about the time that Travis was sevenish. That's a big nut to have dangling in the wind.

The question is, are they the same stones? Answer that first and the question of Travis carving the stones will be obvious.

You have been unusually quiet on that article. No significance in your opinion?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me that Pegleg Tumlinson may have been his map source. Travis may have created many of the symbols and markers himself during his "searching" in the mountains. He may well have been a simple grifter.

Been saying that for some time now, since Dobie wrote about Pegleg Tumlinson's search for treasure and his collection of old documents that he used.
It would make sense that Travis used one of those documents to find the stones. That he did indeed find the original stones, in 1949, rather than carving them himself, is backed by a growing pile of evidence. The additional revelation exposed by the latest video, in that many other members of the Tumlinson family had also left their carvings on that chimney, should give those with imagination a seed from which to generate further discussion along alternate avenues.
Might be right up your alley, so to speak.

Regards:SH.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Been saying that for some time now, since Dobie wrote about Pegleg Tumlinson's search for treasure and his collection of old documents that he used.
It would make sense that Travis used one of those documents to find the stones. That he did indeed find the original stones, in 1949, rather than carving them himself, is backed by a growing pile of evidence. The additional revelation exposed by the latest video, in that many other members of the Tumlinson family had also left their carvings on that chimney, should give those with imagination a seed from which to generate further discussion along alternate avenues.

How would John Jackson Tumlinson have acquired an authentic stone treasure map?
I mean what part of his life would have exposed him to the opportunity?

Remember, Bell Tumlinson came to Maricopa about the same year that Augustus went public with his stone maps and plea for help.
Years later, in the mid30's, Bell filed on several claims in the Vulture Dis(?). Fair to say that Bell had some luck but, just how much is anyone's guess.
Point being, Bell's father or, even grandfather, Peter, would make an equally decent candidate.

So, where did Peg Leg find an authentic treasure map?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I am surprised that you posted that cactusjumper. You have proof that another group of people were following a similar if not the same set of stones, in the same area, years before Travis became involved. So, before any objective person could possibly come to the conclusion that Travis carved the stone maps, that person would have to first explain the fact that another man, with connections to the Tumlinson clan, was using a set of stone maps to find treasure, in the same general area, about the time that Travis was sevenish. That's a big nut to have dangling in the wind.

The question is, are they the same stones? Answer that first and the question of Travis carving the stones will be obvious.

You have been unusually quiet on that article. No significance in your opinion?

Hal,

I don't recall that anyone searched the same area with a stone map. Can you refresh my memory?

Thanks,

Joe

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would John Jackson Tumlinson have acquired an authentic stone treasure map?
I mean what part of his life would have exposed him to the opportunity?

Remember, Bell Tumlinson came to Maricopa about the same year that Augustus went public with his stone maps and plea for help.
Years later, in the mid30's, Bell filed on several claims in the Vulture Dis(?). Fair to say that Bell had some luck but, just how much is anyone's guess.
Point being, Bell's father or, even grandfather, Peter, would make an equally decent candidate.

So, where did Peg Leg find an authentic treasure map?

Where did I say anything about Pegleg having "an authentic stone treasure map" Hal ?
In " Coronado's Children" JF Dobie wrote that Pegleg had a collection of old Spanish documents and charts....that's all.

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Where did I say anything about Pegleg having "an authentic stone treasure map" Hal ?
In " Coronado's Children" FJ Dobie said he had a collection of old spanish documents....that's all.

And I am asking, where would someone like John Jackson obtain an authentic stone treasure map?
I was not challenging the fact that he had them. I am asking you to theorize how they would have come to him.

A disillusioned secessionist rebel, a farmer and possible land surveyor, a hog thief, a convict, a suspected murderer... where would this type of man obtain a set of stone treasure maps or, even a parchment treasure map?

Sounds like the type of man that would just take whatever he wanted if it were valuable enough to him.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no fact involved, when it comes to Pegleg having any kind of "stone" maps. No historical reference, no family lore....nada.
On the other hand though, the list of attributes you ascribe to the man suggests many connections by which he could have amassed a collection of parchments.
Some through looting during the civil war perhaps.
Any number of those, or copies of same, could have been passed down to relatives and decedents who were or later became interested in "treasure" hunting.
With so many masons in the extended family, some may have even transcribed the various maps onto stone slabs for durability or even decorative purposes.
You should have a look at the other carvings on that chimney. Maybe Augustus left his name there as well, before leaving Texas on his own treasure hunt in Arizona.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Notwithstanding the "growing pile", it seems just as likely Travis may have used one of Gramp's " charts" (heaven knows where he got it) not to find but to create the stones. Yeah, Travis may have admired the old chimney and figured it would be an easy scam to produce a carved treasure map. What a concept.

My alley is littered with broken down rust buckets at the moment - perhaps you can run with the alternate script.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To begin with no one makes maps to maps in my honest opinion. The fact that Peg-leg Tumlinson was a treasure hunter, and found to be related to Travis just creates assumptions that fail to make a definite connection that treasure maps were left to Travis. Travis, or his wife would of had Peg-leg's maps, but they never mentioned anything, and Travis's wife never tried to sell any of those maps because there weren't any. In his manuscript Travis would have credited Peg-leg, but he didn't. Just my "dos centavos".

Homar

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Too much coffee makes me ask if it has been raised that each destination could have it's own heart stone? Portability great distance a better chance than hauling all the stones.
Using same trail maps starting at a jumping off point (where cached) allowing copies to be made by each group heading out without knowing all sites locations, only their own?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notwithstanding the "growing pile", it seems just as likely Travis may have used one of Gramp's " charts" (heaven knows where he got it) not to find but to create the stones. Yeah, Travis may have admired the old chimney and figured it would be an easy scam to produce a carved treasure map. What a concept.

My alley is littered with broken down rust buckets at the moment - perhaps you can run with the alternate script.

Run with it ?
Nah....you're doing a good job so far with the chimney now part of Travis' "scam".
Who knows how many miles might be left in that old clunker yet.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy,

Why are you trying? I learned a long time ago that arguing with SDCFIA, Joe, and some others about the legitimacy of the Stone Maps is like beating your head against a wall. HAHAHA I just let them keep pounding away. The more people believe they are fakes, the less number of people wandering the mountains looking for their solution.

Mike

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Buddy,

Why are you trying? I learned a long time ago that arguing with SDCFIA, Joe, and some others about the legitimacy of the Stone Maps is like beating your head against a wall. HAHAHA I just let them keep pounding away. The more people believe they are fakes, the less number of people wandering the mountains looking for their solution.

Mike

Mike,

Hope all is well with you.

As I recall, when you first got started on these stone maps, I was one of the first guys you asked for advise. Funny how smart you have gotten over the years, and how much dumber I have gotten. Is your other job a rocket scientist with NASA?:dontknow::laughing7:

Take care,

Joe

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Buddy,

Mike

Wandering and wandering, looking and looking. Looking for ... uh, what is it you guys are looking for?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy,

Mike

I gotta agree with ya Mike....especially the last part. And I do see them wandering about out there whenever I decide to take a break from the real stuff.
But sometimes I just can't resist the temptation to throw an extra big stick out in front of the other guys, just to see what they do with it.
It's almost as much fun as gluing a ten dollar bill to the floor.

Best:Wayne

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Run with it ?
Nah....you're doing a good job so far with the chimney now part of Travis' "scam".
Who knows how many miles might be left in that old clunker yet.

You're crediting me with much more interest in these stones than I have. I'm more interested in the players and the back story than the rocks themselves. I'll remain in the peanut gallery watching the movies. When you're in the hills, remember to tie on sturdy footwear and take plenty of water.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wandering and wandering, looking and looking. Looking for ... uh, what is it you guys are looking for?

Boxes and boxes and bags and old barrels full of neat stuff .
And oh yea ! A better understanding of how this whole thing got to be so complicated over time.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Boxes and boxes and bags and old barrels full of neat stuff .
And oh yea ! A better understanding of how this whole thing got to be so complicated over time.

Well, you are a stalwart and I admire your tenacity. Seriously, good luck - I hope I live long enough to eat my words.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread