Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snipped quote........
wrmickel1;But what old is trying to connect is highly improbabilities which would work great in one of Cages movies. Wrmickel1[/QUOTE said:
Say What? I'm trying to disconnect this particular train of thought, LOL.

There are holes in this conspiracy theory larger than Texas. I'm just pointing out a few of the less controversial ones. I think all of this has NOTHING to do with anything. Its just wrong on so many levels.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright, I fixed it
Wrmickel1. Keep up the good work old, Cause this ring around the anus and a stop at dingle berry patch for supper is leaving a bad taste for me two.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright, I fixed it
Wrmickel1. Keep up the good work old, Cause this ring around the anus and a stop at dingle berry patch for supper is leaving a bad taste for me two.

man thats crude and harsh, folks are just trying to fig it out ya know, sometimes
it takes going down wrong paths

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
old, no i cant put pegleg in N.O., just close per link and no i dont
think the Albert Pike trail is it, but i did like the spy company info
@ the link i posted, ya and might be looking in wrong dir for pegleg
info acquiring the skin map/s, but ya know TT didnt find a possible
treasure from the map/s so if it could still be out there, sometimes
it pays to look at everything
ive been looking here too for info on the
MAJOR'S CONFEDERATE CAVALRY BRIGADE
Civil War Original Records Search | eHISTORY

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
man thats crude and harsh, folks are just trying to fig it out ya know, sometimes
it takes going down wrong paths

CW, wrong paths lead to being born again, So another unfounded twist to separate from fact and shi ola, like trying to separate one white maggot from a bowl of white rice. Are you sure you got it. Are you ready for the taste test. I don't think so! its off the wall thinking from the plant blindbowman.

Wrmickel1

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey CW, Thanks for the message and the link. I enjoy reading such histories. Keep em coming. I also appreciate all the hard work Victor put into tracking Peg Leg's family connections. I just don't think the conclusions help in solving the source of the maps and the stones. Others may and that's perfectly okay. I don't want us to get too comfortable with that theory and accept it as fact. Its just a theory as so many others we have.

The Masonic/KGC conspiracy just doesn't work for me. Peg Leg is not a good fit on either front. For him to have been a master mason would have required a special dispensation. Don't think that happened. Of course, that's speculation on my part, but not without good reason.

Its just as possible that Peg Leg won the maps in a poker game from an hombre who he didn't even know a name. We may never know the source. Its fun to speculate, but its just speculation.

What is more telling to me is where did Travis search and what did he search for. Where did his maps point him? Was it multiple sites or just a primary site. Was it caches or mines or both? If its caches, I believe they are long gone. If mines, I believe one of the original three remains untouched. Total speculation on my part.

I have my ideas and so far, I'm encouraged in my preliminary hunch. Still waiting for the other shoe to fall, but haven't heard that yet.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lynda

Caches ? Yes , but not Peraltas .
Disconnect this the Peraltas from been the authors of the stone maps ? I give a bigger percentage to YES .
Why I believe they have not caches ? Again this damn logic .

Story.jpg

The confession of Cristobal Peralta to Salazar at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...n/ruth/clark/Salazar Survey by Clay Worst.pdf
Why to work the mines if they had caches ? What more simple to get gold bars and go ?

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lynda

Caches ? Yes , but not Peraltas .
Disconnect this the Peraltas from been the authors of the stone maps ? I give a bigger percentage to YES .
Why I believe they have not caches ? Again this damn logic .

View attachment 1200781

The confession of Cristobal Peralta to Salazar at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...n/ruth/clark/Salazar Survey by Clay Worst.pdf
Why to work the mines if they had caches ? What more simple to get gold bars and go ?

That's a cool post Markmar.......thanks for that history.

What could be the fact at hand is that they were originally mining there, and had used one of the mines as a vault where they stored the excess plate after refinement, in preparation for transport to another part of Mexico. Then it was sent back to Spain.

They could have made the one last trip to the mines to extract the remaining plate and ore left behind in the preparation for their last trip.

Who knows as this is an old subject and could merely have been to close the entrances to these mines.

The KGC/Confederate plotters could have then found out around that time that there were an enormous amount of gold, moved in for the theft of the mines after the civil war, and left the stones after murdering their men to cover up the existence of the mines.

My information shows the creation of these stones was closer to the 1890's. Still fairly modern then, and they had the tools that could carve them at their disposal so the thoery fits that Peg Leg Tumlinson was part of the scouting and gold hunting parties, had knowleddge or was involved with these mines and passed the map to the place they buried the stones at to his family.

Somehow they were told to hold onto them, and wait for a time, and Tumlinson went and retrieved them, in the 1950's.

It is a long time that they have been lost, and there were numerous players that knew about these maps, stones, and/or the location of these specific mines.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eldo

I believe , if " Peg leg " Tumlinson was involved and knew about these mines , for sure he would pass the location to his family . And from what we have read , his family never decrypted the stone maps .

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me see. Pegleg had the ground map and apparently was unable to make it pay. Then the next generation of Tumlinsons got the map and couldn't make it pay. Then Travis got the map and couldn't make it pay. Then Travis carved incomplete stone maps and was writing a book/screenplay in order to try to make it pay. Now Ryan and Frank paid the fourth generation Tumlinsons to get the map - I guess they're following through with the book/movie idea. See anything at all troublesome with this history? Perhaps the map is not genuine? Maybe some good stuff on it but nothing to match expectations.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Let me see. Pegleg had the ground map and apparently was unable to make it pay. Then the next generation of Tumlinsons got the map and couldn't make it pay. Then Travis got the map and couldn't make it pay. Then Travis carved incomplete stone maps and was writing a book/screenplay in order to try to make it pay. Now Ryan and Frank paid the fourth generation Tumlinsons to get the map - I guess they're following through with the book/movie idea. See anything at all troublesome with this history? Perhaps the map is not genuine? Maybe some good stuff on it but nothing to match expectations.

Troublesome?
I see a map that has kept its secrets, nothing more.
The problem is that without a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, there really is no "story". Its great history, and there is drama and conflict but, there is no resolution.

No resolution and the story, it's success, will be hamstrung by a limited audience. Obviously a discovery made following the map would change everything.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hey CW, Thanks for the message and the link. I enjoy reading such histories. Keep em coming. I also appreciate all the hard work Victor put into tracking Peg Leg's family connections. I just don't think the conclusions help in solving the source of the maps and the stones. Others may and that's perfectly okay. I don't want us to get too comfortable with that theory and accept it as fact. Its just a theory as so many others we have.

The Masonic/KGC conspiracy just doesn't work for me. Peg Leg is not a good fit on either front. For him to have been a master mason would have required a special dispensation. Don't think that happened. Of course, that's speculation on my part, but not without good reason.

Its just as possible that Peg Leg won the maps in a poker game from an hombre who he didn't even know a name. We may never know the source. Its fun to speculate, but its just speculation.

What is more telling to me is where did Travis search and what did he search for. Where did his maps point him? Was it multiple sites or just a primary site. Was it caches or mines or both? If its caches, I believe they are long gone. If mines, I believe one of the original three remains untouched. Total speculation on my part.

I have my ideas and so far, I'm encouraged in my preliminary hunch. Still waiting for the other shoe to fall, but haven't heard that yet.

Thank you Lynda. I just want to be clear that I am not drawing any conclusions about the maps origins as there is still way too much uncertainty and historical data to be collected.

If the Peralta map dates to 1847, it is as old as John Jackson Tumlinson himself. So, our timeline for collecting and comparing information is 1847-1920. Its a scatter-gun effect, trying to net everything possibly related then placing it on the timeline for comparison. Its time consuming and sometimes pointless but something closer to historical fact comes from it. I hope.

I recently had a conversation with a Peralta family member that may be related to this story. With a little luck, we may soon have a decent family tree to study and to work from but, IMO, the story begins in Spanish New Orleans. Because that's where the Peraltas, this branch of the Peraltas, settled and eventually spread out from. One thing that stood out in our conversation was that he used the word "explorers" to describe the first generation of Peraltas in North America. His Peraltas, including a Miguel.

Peg Leg was a controversial person, a criminal and possibly a murderer. I don't see an important Mexican treasure map finding its way to him as a gift. But his father, uncles, and cousins, they represented the law, had masonic ties, some with officials in Mexico. The Peraltas who remained in New Orleans in the 1860's were southern sympathizers and MAY even have been slave owners. MAY have. If there is a Peralta/Tumlinson "Masonic" connection, it wouldn't have been Peg-Leg. IMO.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Did someone delete Mike's post mentioning Russell M. Magnaghi and his criticism of Herbert Eugene Bolton?:dontknow: I do have one of Bolton's books that Magnaghi Edited and wrote The Preface and Introduction for. Magnaghi speaks very highly of Bolton there.

Joe Ribaudo

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,

You seem to be laboring under a delusion of some kind that I was trying to put down H.E. Bolton. Also that I had ever mentioned anybody by the name of "Magnaghi". What I said was that Bolton very much disagreed with his mentor (Frederick J Turner). Turner had a theory called "Frontier Thesis" (which I happen to give a good bit of credence to), that Bolton disagreed with. What I also said was that in strict translations, I don't have any problem with anything he has done (that I have found). The only issue I have with Bolton is that he is more on the politically correct side of historical opinion.

Also, since you seem to think Bolton is the do-all-end-all of history, maybe you should look into his involvement with "Drake's Plate of Brass" which he authenticated, which was later found to be a forgery.

Mike

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently had a conversation with a Peralta family member that may be related to this story. With a little luck, we may soon have a decent family tree to study and to work from but, IMO, the story begins in Spanish New Orleans. Because that's where the Peraltas, this branch of the Peraltas, settled and eventually spread out from. One thing that stood out in our conversation was that he used the word "explorers" to describe the first generation of Peraltas in North America. His Peraltas, including a Miguel.

I believe the first Peralta in North America was Don Pedro de Peralta, governor of New Mexico and founder of Santa Fe in 1610. Peraltas were not that common in New Mexico's early days. The only Miguel I've found was a soldier who, along with his brother Andres and their father Pedro, was killed during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. In 1850, it was thought that only one man named Peralta lived in New Mexico at the time.
History of the Town of Peralta, NM

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
Who was the peralta that owned the store in Phoenix in the late 1800s that blew his brains out in Nogales after gambling all his money away?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Who was the peralta that owned the store in Phoenix in the late 1800s that blew his brains out in Nogales after gambling all his money away?

hooch,

M. (Miguel) L. Peralta, originally had an adobe home in Wickenburg and operated a retail general store. He called himself M.L. Peralta. The store was very successful, and it's said he opened another in Phoenix, and ran the Phoenix post office. To get the better story, read "Tales of the Superstitions" by Robert Blair.

Helen Corbin has some information in "The Bible.....", but her source may be questionable.:dontknow:

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I believe the first Peralta in North America was Don Pedro de Peralta, governor of New Mexico and founder of Santa Fe in 1610. Peraltas were not that common in New Mexico's early days. The only Miguel I've found was a soldier who, along with his brother Andres and their father Pedro, was killed during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. In 1850, it was thought that only one man named Peralta lived in New Mexico at the time.
History of the Town of Peralta, NM

The Peralta that I am writing about was a fanatically loyal Spanish solider who was stationed in Havana and there married Maria de los Dolores y Formayer in 1787. After the marriage, he and his wife are transferred to Spanish New Orleans where they remained and had three children. These three would be generation one (born in North America).

As far as Peraltas in New Mexico circa 1850, it may surprise you learn that there were 17 soldiers named Peralta who fought for the North during the War of 1861-65. Look at where they served.

Peralta , Cacimiro
Battle Unit Name:1st Battalion, Arizona Infantry
Side:Union

Peralta , Jose
Battle Unit Name:1st Regiment, New Mexico Infantry (New)
Alternate Name:Jose/Peralto

1st Regiment, New Mexico Infantry (New)

Overview: Organized at October 1, 1863. Attached to Department of New Mexico and on garrison duty by detachments at Forts Union, Solden, Craig, Bowie, Cummings, McRae, Goodwin and other points in that Department during entire term of service. (Co. "K" at Fort Lyon, Colo., September, 1864, to February, 1865.) Expedition from Fort Craig, N.M., to Fort Goodwin, Ariz., May 16 to August 2, 1864 (Co. "I"). Expedition to Pinal Mountains July 18-August 17, 1864 (Detachment Co. "I"). Expedition to Pinal Creek August 1-5, 1864. Expedition from Fort Craig to Fort Goodwin, Ariz., October 1-November 27, 1864. Mustered out November 7, 1866.

Peralta , Juan

Peralta , Pedro

Alternate Name:Pedro/Peralto

Peralta , Juan
Battle Unit Name:2nd Regiment, New Mexico Infantry

2nd Regiment, New Mexico Infantry

Overview: Ordered at Santa Fe, N.M., July and August, 1861. Attached to Dept. of Mexico. Duty at Fort Craig, N.M., till February, 1862. Action at Valverde, N.M., February 21, 1862. Pursuit of Confederate forces April 13-22. Action at Peralta April 15, and at Socorro April 25. Duty in Central, Northern and Santa Fe Districts till May. Consolidated with 1st New Mexico Infantry to form 1st New Mexico Cavalry May 31, 1862.

Peralta , Juan Augustin

Peralta , Jose Ygnacio
Alternate Name:Ignacio/Peralta

Peralta , Tomas

Alternate Name:Tomas/Peralto

Peralta , Crispin

Peralta , Felipe

Peralta , Jose

Battle Unit Name:3rd Regiment, New Mexico Mounted Infantry

3rd Regiment, New Mexico Mounted Infantry

Overview: Organized at Fort Union and Albuquerque, N.M., August 30-October 10, 1861. Duty at Fort Union till February, 1862. Action at Valverde, N.M., February 21. Pursuit of Confederate forces April 13-22. Duty in Central, Northern and Santa Fe Districts till May. Mustered out May 31, 1862.

Peralta , Fernando

Battle Unit Name:Gonzales' Independent Company, New Mexico Militia

Gonzales' Independent Company, New Mexico Militia

Overview: Organized at Fort Craig, N.M., November 23, 1861, for the defense of New Mexico. Mustered out February 28, 1862.

Peralta , Jose Miguel

Battle Unit Name:Perea's Battalion, New Mexico Militia Infantry

Perea's Battalion, New Mexico Militia Infantry

Overview: Organized at large November and December, 1861, for the defense of New Mexico. Mustered out February 28, 1862.

Peralta , Juan

Battle Unit Name:Perea's Battalion, New Mexico Militia Infantry

Peralta , Cornelio

Battle Unit Name:Tafolla's Independent Company, New Mexico Militia (3 months, 1861-62)

Tafolla's Independent Company, New Mexico Militia (3 months, 1861-62)
Overview: Organized at Fort Craig, N.M., November 20, 1861, for the defense of New Mexico. Mustered out February 28, 1862.

Peralta , Juan Jose

Battle Unit Name:Tafolla's Independent Company, New Mexico Militia (3 months, 1861-62)

Peralta , Rumalda

And fighting for the South:

Peralta , John
Battle Unit Name:7th Battalion, Louisiana Infantry
Side:Confederacy

"Peralta, John,Sergt. Co. A, 7th Battn. La. Inf. En. April 22, 1861, New Orleans, La. Present on Rolls to Dec., 1861"

http://www.youngsanders.org/pnames.pdf

7th Battalion, Louisiana Infantry
Overview: 7th Infantry Battalion [also called St.Paul's Foot Rifles] was organized before the war and entered Confederate service during the summer of 1861. The men were from New Orleans and Iberville and Jefferson parishes. Originally a six-company battalion, Companies C and D were sent to Virginia and the other four served in the Trans-Mississippi Department. The two companies in Virginia fought at Williamsburg and Seven Pines, then merged into the 15th Louisiana Infantry Regiment. The four serving in the West disbanded during August, 1862. It was commanded by acting Majors McGavock Goodwyn and Henry St. Paul.

Peralta , A. T.

Battle Unit Name:Pointe Coupee Artillery, Louisiana

Alternate Name:Francis E./Peralta

Peralta , Francis E.

Battle Unit Name:Pointe Coupee Artillery, Louisiana

"Per
alta, Francis E.,Pvt. Pointe Coupee Arty. La. En. Sept. 9, 1861, Columbus, Ky. Present on Rolls to Dec., 1861. Roll March and April, 1864, Present. Roll dated Aug. 31, 1864, Absent, wounded at Resaca, now in Hospl. since May 14, 1864. On Roll of Prisoners of War, Paroled at Merldian, Miss., May 11, 1865. Res. Baton Rouge, La"

http://www.youngsanders.org/pnames.pdf

Pointe Coupee Artillery, Louisiana

Overview: Pointe Coupee Artillery Battalion was organized in November, 1861 with three companies. Its members were recruited in Pointe Coupee, West Baton Rouge, and Concordia parishes. Captain R.A. Stewart's Company fought at Belmont, then the battalion was captured at Island No. 10 in April, 1862. Exchanged at Grenada, Mississippi, it contained 165 officers and men in June. Later it was assigned to the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana, and during the siege of Vicksburg it lost 4 killed and 5 wounded. After it was exchanged again, the battalion was consolidated into one company. It then joined the Army of Tennessee and was active in the Atlanta, Tennessee, and North Carolina Campaigns. With less than 25 men it surrendered on April 26, 1865. Captains Alcide Bouanchaud, W.A. Davidson, and Alexander Chust were in command.

Conclusions:

Up to 17 Peralta men from New Mexico and perhaps one from Arizona, joined Union forces in their effort to stop Sibley from taking the territory.

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
At your service Mike Crumpeled foil replica

View attachment 1201087

Don Jose,

The brass "Drake" plate fooled a number of scholars for many years. Bolton had been fascinated by the history of Drake's brass plate, and had urged his students to be on the lookout for it when out in the forests.

It was something that was completely out of Bolton's wheelhouse and he should have listened to those who were screaming "fake".

If that mistake negates the man's body of work, over many years, I would say, show me a man who makes no mistakes and I will show you a man who makes no decisions.

Take care,

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread