Video 5 - Explorations at Herman Petrashs Cabin

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Video 5 - Explorations at Herman Petrash's Cabin

As you become friends with some of the local legends you are told and shown things. If your lucky you get a photo or document. You can share that but not the source or the circumstances. It's up to them to post that information if they so desire. As always there will be those who are happy for any information. There will also be those who become outraged that They can't have access to the whole story. But you see it's a question of honor. You need to take that into consideration when a photo or story is posted without a lot of background information. You always have the option of making your own friends and gathering what is passed onto you. It's just how things work in the Dutch Hunter community.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq & Vaquero

Leupold BX-3 Mojave & RX1200i Rangefinder
Primary Interest:
Other
so whats up with the ore shown in the beginning of the video? whos picture is it?

Pretty awesome piece - isn't it? I took the photo - so that part is "mine" but the ore isn't. It belongs to a friend that has spent a lot of "boots on the ground" time out prospecting.

I offered to trade him for the shoe heel - but he wouldn't do it! Jerk! ;)

I'll post a high def picture of it later today.

OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
As promised - here you go.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 11.03.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 11.03.26 AM.png
    632.2 KB · Views: 98

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
As promised - here you go.

Very nice! It looks identical to the stuff being high-graded from a big vug at the ten-hundred level of the Idarado Mine in CO in 1974. It was my very first shift on the job and I went home with about 1/4 of a Skippy peanut butter jar's worth of small golden remnants. The shifter, Louie, and the old-timers got some fabulous big chunks. I thought, "Man, this job is OK!" Here's another specimen from the Big I:

idarado.jpg

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
great vid Ryan, Frank is a great addition, geeezz Frank that reality show
should give you more speaking parts :laughing7:
really a great vid keep em coming

OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Going to Herman's place was fun, but you cant go more than 6 inches without finding a piece of his house...which was made out of a collection of long but skinny metal sheets - tires on the roof to hold things together - nails EVERYWHERE.

We got pretty lucky to find the shoe heel - considering the environment we were working in.

If Herman was alive today - I think he would have been on an episode of Hoarder's

And yes - Frank is incredible in front of the camera and a real trooper for digging around out there in the heat. I get the easy part - standing still.

Often times I told him to just stop - so I could bring him something to drink - get him a towel for his face.....but he wouldn't listen to me. Dig dig dig....

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ryan,

Sometimes I get so caught up in the conversation I forget the most important part.

THANK YOU.

Thank you for the fabulous videos and narration. Thank you for taking the time to go to the places and film what I can not see. Thank you for making it real.

What you are doing is a great service to this community. I can only imagine the hours and hours of your time, and now Franks time, that goes into these. I am delighted you have a sponsor. I hope your work sells hundred for the MD company.

Lynda

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.........The specially mean ones just stay real quiet and flick a cholla on to the back of your leg as you pass by.
Then, while your busy getting it off......WHAM.
I still have flashbacks and nightmares !!

Regards:SH.

Jackalope.jpg

Hi Wayne, This Jack is for you. I'm still giggling.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee, thanks Linda.
That look still gives me shivers......

But you asked a question awhile back.
That being as to why a heart-shaped pocket was carved into one of the stones.
The answer to that question may actually be quite simple, in that there exists somewhere out there, a perfect original of that hole, into which the complete heart stone (both pieces) will fit like a glove.

Last edited:

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee, thanks Linda.
That look still gives me shivers......

But you asked a question awhile back.
That being as to why a heart-shaped pocket was carved into one of the stones.
The answer to that question may actually be quite simple, in that that there exists somewhere out there, a perfect original of that hole, into which the complete heart stone (both pieces) will fit like a glove.

Yes both pieces

Oso

May 26, 2015
Foothills of Supes
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ryan and Frank, thanks for spending your “free” time to do these videos. While a few here like to pick them (and you) apart, I appreciate the time and effort. Please keep ‘em coming.

Oso

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Thanks OSO. When you have some success in life there will always be those who are jealous. They have failed at some point in their lives.
You get to see new things in the videos. Places not visited by many. If it inspire just one winner like you it's worth it.
As I always say. Get busy living or get busy dying.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Thanks OSO. When you have some success in life there will always be those who are jealous. They have failed at some point in their lives.
You get to see new things in the videos. Places not visited by many. If it inspire just one winner like you it's worth it.

Frank,

I'm doing my best.

Nice work,

Joe

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank that digging tool, is awesome, did you buy and modify it
or it came that way, ive been doing the earth magnet thing for
a few yrs, gets the ferrous out quick
great vids guys, thanks for doing them, as the other poster said,
thank you doesnt get said enough

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Good advice.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Frank that digging tool, is awesome, did you buy and modify it
or it came that way, ive been doing the earth magnet thing for
a few yrs, gets the ferrous out quick
great vids guys, thanks for doing them, as the other poster said,
thank you doesnt get said enough

The pick is a Hermitt pick made by my friend Bunk up in Prescott. Lifetime guarantee. You can do some digging with those.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

Old habits die hard.

: (

https://youtu.be/B4Km5OKZlp0

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread