Video 6 - On Tumlinsons Trail : The Peralta Stone Maps

Validity of the stones

• Travis found the stones and had nothing to do with their creation. They are real.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Travis hoaxed the entire thing. They are fake

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Travis carved the maps - but they are based off of real information.

Votes: 14 34.1%

• Total voters

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq & Vaquero

Leupold BX-3 Mojave & RX1200i Rangefinder
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Everyone,

Frank and I put a considerable amount of research into this video - we want to send special thanks to the Superstition Mountain Museum, my buddy from GC, Gregory E. Davis, Tesoro & Leupold for all their help in getting this video completed.

The Stone Maps are arguably one of the most important pieces of Superstition history.

Are they a treasure map or a hoax - or perhaps both?

Here is the link - if you enjoy what Frank and I are doing - then please subscribe and share the video with your friends.

-Ryan

P.S. make sure to vote on the poll.

As of 11:15 on Monday the 22nd, we have 22 people that believe that Travis carved the stone maps, and 8 that believe he found them as legend says.

(Video Removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Just wow! Need to absorb all of this. Amazing Job Ryan!!! Lots of information to digest. Bravo!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again Ryan, WELL DONE! This is deserving of its own show on a national scale! The amount of work you put into this is amazing, and its hard to argue with your conclusion or your methods. I'm sure many people who want to come to different conclusions will be disagreeing with you here, but the case you make is hard to refute. Many convince themselves of things in the treasure hunting world that sound good because they want to think they have a chance to find a treasure and become wealthy, which is exactly the kind of mark that con men like Tumlinson depend on to cash in on their hoaxes. Con men are not concerned with ethics or morals, they just want to make money off of the hopes and dreams of people who are desperate to believe.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryan and Frank,

This is National level film and research. I am in awe of your abilities on many levels. If A & E or Discovery, etc. doesn't pick this up they are missing the boat.

Thank you, thank you. Great job. Well worth the wait.

I have much I'd like to post. But; alas, I have to make a living so...........off to work I go. Will be back. Hope to join the discussion later.

Lynda

Oso

May 26, 2015
Foothills of Supes
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool. Once again, thanks for the time and effort you put into these videos. Thought provoking for sure; I can hardly wait to see the conversations this one will generate.

Keep up the good work,

Oso

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to over use the word but WOW..........nice job Ryan and Frank. Great presentation and investigation. Love the part where you took the time to point out the discrepancies between the maps. The theory about a machine being used to make the cravings could very well be true, for one thing I always thought the horse carving just seemed to perfectly done as compared to the use of block lettering instead of longhand script or to how the witch is craved.

Great job, well done if I had more then two thumps they would be up as well and I can't wait to see what you all found in the folder Frank is holding at the end.

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video Ryan. well presented and I like your music selection. as to whether or not the stones are the same stones featured in old photographs, I respectfully disagree. When paying attention to the subtle imperfections in the stones themselves, there are many similarities. Recreating carved symbols and words would be far easier than the recreation of the subtle contours and imperfections. I have found carvings myself in the field and have had to photograph at many angles in order to see the full image. Thin lines tend to get washed out. The bumper stones were reported to have been hosed off. This could have an impact on weather or not certain features would pop out.

Great video Ryan

Thank you for sharing

Jon

Last edited:
OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone - it makes me happy to know folks enjoy what Frank and I spent so much time creating. Would be a lot of fun if A&E, Discovery - etc contacted us - I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I, like all of us, hope that this video does create some good convo.

Let's start with what Captain 1965 said.

I believe he is stating that the trail map comparison I did - he doesn't agree with it . That's okay!

There is quite a bit missing from the trail maps - do you feel that with the stones being sprayed with a hose (never heard that before) would hide some lines and not others? How would that be possible?

As to your saying that the maps would need to be photographed from many angles - I agree. That is why I used similar angles in my comparison / side by sides - to make things fair.

I'm hoping you can expand on this. I'm curious to know! Do you believe all 21 points that I pointed out between both trail maps were missing because of the "supposed" hose that may or may not have sprayed them off?

What did you think of the comparisons between the Witch / Horse stone? Do you agree / disagree that those don't match?

Not that it really matters - we know for certain that replica's were made. Having a replica of a map doesn't make or break the story - its just more circumstantial evidence.

The bottom line is the manuscript....and the writing on that.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Nicely done video, and food for thought. Ryan, a point you made that struck me as significant was the block lettering style carved into the "Peralta" stones. I suppose one could argue that it's an easier font to carve into stone. Maybe, but when you examine the 17th and 18th century Spanish carved messages at El Morro National Monument, the alphabet used by all of them, without exception, uses both upper and lower case letters in a serif-appearing style similar to pen and ink documents of the era. If the Peralta rocks contained nothing but simple blocky, straight line symbology, you might then excuse the simple text style, but the stones are filled with complex curvy carvings, indicating the carver was fairly skilled. That being the case, it emphasizes the discconnect between the Peralta stone text and the text style in use during the period the stones were supposedly created.

OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great point!! You're right. Further disconnect.

Keep the convo going!

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is quite a bit missing from the trail maps - do you feel that with the stones being sprayed with a hose (never heard that before) would hide some lines and not others? How would that possible?

When I found carvings in the field, I was told to try applying water to stone to see if carvings would pop out. When I applied the water the carvings virtually vanished. I then had to wait for the water to evaporate before photographing it further. I found these carvings at dawn. After the sun came out shining directly on the stone it was hard to see the carving with the naked eye. Lightning does play a very important role and water does have a big impact. I AM impartial to the authenticity of the stones in the museum. this is just my opinion.

I will try to be more thorough later when I'm at my computer. right now I'm doing this from my phone and is very difficult.

Great topic
Jon

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done video, and food for thought. Ryan, a point you made that struck me as significant was the block lettering style carved into the "Peralta" stones. I suppose one could argue that it's an easier font to carve into stone. Maybe, but when you examine the 17th and 18th century Spanish carved messages at El Morro National Monument, the alphabet used by all of them, without exception, uses both upper and lower case letters in a serif-appearing style similar to pen and ink documents of the era. If the Peralta rocks contained nothing but simple blocky, straight line symbology, you might then excuse the simple text style, but the stones are filled with complex curvy carvings, indicating the carver was fairly skilled. That being the case, it emphasizes the discconnect between the Peralta stone text and the text style in use during the period the stones were supposedly created.

Thank you sdcfia that's what I was trying to point out.

Absurd-Ginger

Jun 3, 2015
Gilbert
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Brillant show mates. You made it very easy to understand the history and the facts that match reality when it comes to the stone maps. Keep up the great work guys

TailGunner

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a technique similar to facial recognition software, you should be able to overlay and compare the pictures line for line.

Just my thoughts.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Half way through excellent vid. and have to go...

Carving of letters does not appear similar between horse and witch stones.

Interrupted half way through while trying to find a hat.
Still have not found their use documented as suspected in America.
IMG_0098.JPG

OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
It's all here...

Attachments

• TumlinsonManuscript.jpg
    TumlinsonManuscript.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 231

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many GREAT points and comparisons Ryan.
I have a a little bit of time to digest everything you presented and I am just astounded on many different levels of the Legend.
The representation of the script used on the stones in comparison to the script that was commonly used at the time is a BIG eye opener, now add to it the mis-spellings and the biggest topper the representation of Kings and Majesties in Spain. Well that really did it for me! BAM ! Ryan AKA "Truthseeker" prevailed.
Now add in the side by side comparisons of the carvings v photos.
Understanding that photography then and photography today are polar opposites in quality, I can negate some small imperfections, but the Hat? The Knife? Way to big to refute. Then the Harry letter....hmmmm. Sounds like a buddy was trying to draw attention to his friend in a scheme to get some fast cash...just my opinion. It reeks of a bad plot!
Finally, the good ol Peg Leg entrance into the story! I was pretty convinced at the script, then the compelling evidence of the side by side stone comparisons made me see how the truth if you seek it (Ryan) can be revealed!
I sure do hope that the History Channel or Discovery etc. takes note of your talent and dedication to these matters.
Thank you for bringing the Peralta Stones within my view and putting together overwhelming evidence beyond a doubt that the stones were made for the all mighty $!
Before I forget....what's in the book Frank??????
Bravo Gentlemen!!!!!
Tina

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a large collection of research, a small contribution....

Both Navajo and Moqui medicine men wore "tall pointed sombreros"
The Moqui version also had a red band.
This is a DeGrazia painting, one of several paintings and charcoal sketches he did of Navajo Medicine Men.
It is called "Navajo Night Chant"

View attachment DeGrazia Navajo Night Chant.bmp

The question is.....Where did "they get the idea" for a pointed sombrero/holy man connection ?

I do not believe it was from a "witch".

OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
From a large collection of research, a small contribution....

Both Navajo and Moqui medicine men wore "tall pointed sombreros"
The Moqui version also had a red band.
This is a DeGrazia painting, one of several paintings and charcoal sketches he did of Navajo Medicine Men.
It is called "Navajo Night Chant"

View attachment 1176576

The question is.....Where did "they get the idea" for a pointed sombrero/holy man connection ?

I do not believe it was from a "witch".

Thanks for posting this SH! Is there anyone - anywhere else - outside of DeGrazia - that will show that style hat?

As I'm sure you're aware - some folks will tell us that DeGrazia had a hand in the maps creation.

Were the medicine men depicted also known to wear Christian crosses or practice Christianity?

Regardless - that painting is a beautiful piece of art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread