Stone foundation some state was Mission

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
The old photo is from the Davis collection along with a map of the location. Same site.
You thinking of the 7 gold bar site. Were you sniffing through the Burbridge file while at Greg's?

I never sniff and tell. Anyway, could be as easy as matching the ridge-lines with your other photographs.
I think its two different locations.

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a few Jesuit long john buttons. Some one hit that spot with a backhoe. They dug about 6 foot below floor level.

Long johns, heh? I would have thought those friars might have been in the 'habit' of wearing some kind of pantaloon under those cassocks. :)

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish we had more photos from before it was dug up, but it looks more like a fairly typical Hohokam room block site.
Small rooms and passages and low stacked stone construction. Doesn't look like any room big enough for a small chapel, let alone a church.
Large scatterings of Hohokam plainware shards, as well as petroglyphs throughout that entire area also point in that direction, IMO.

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long johns, heh? I would have thought those friars might have been in the 'habit' of wearing some kind of pantaloon under those cassocks. :)

Hal, you have your stories crossed. Burbridge found 7 gold bars at second water spring in the superstition mountains. It was Milton rose that claimed he found something in four peaks

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal, you have your stories crossed. Burbridge found 7 gold bars at second water spring in the superstition mountains. It was Milton rose that claimed he found something in four peaks

Simple question.
Where was that picture taken?
If it was taken off Peralta Road, then show me the matching camera view, the corresponding ridge line?

Its not possible because that picture of Burbridge was taken north of the Salt River.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Wish we had more photos from before it was dug up, but it looks more like a fairly typical Hohokam room block site.
Small rooms and passages and low stacked stone construction. Doesn't look like any room big enough for a small chapel, let alone a church.
Large scatterings of Hohokam plainware shards, as well as petroglyphs throughout that entire area also point in that direction, IMO.

You are describing the Burbridge photograph. Where is all that nice Hohokam block in Franks photograph?
Just up and walked away?
Obviously, no.
Its two different locations.

I would still ask Tom.

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple question.
Where was that picture taken?
If it was taken off Peralta Road, then show me the matching camera view, the corresponding ridge line?

Its not possible because that picture of Burbridge was taken north of the Salt River.

Where did you get that info from? Did someone tell you JB found a treasure in four peaks?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
The Pious Fund

"The missions founded by the Pious Fund were named after saints, martyrs, and notable Christian characters, rather than the living donors.

Padre Salvatierra and Padre Kino were very good business men. They accumulated a vast sum of money for investment in this Pious Fund to establish missions. They made good investments and were able to collect an average of five percent interest throughout the long period during which the fund was used. Practically all of the lower Jesuit missions in Lower California, Sonora, and Arizona were established out of this trust fund. The fund was honestly and efficiently administered by the Jesuits up to the time of their expulsion in 1767, after which it was also efficiently administered by the Franciscans who succeeded the Jesuits. This sizable Pious Fund had a history. It was still intact in 1822 when Mexico gained her independence. The dictator Santa Ana borrowed a portion of it with evident design."

AZR 1933

Might be worth finding the correct location.

For anyone interested in the history of the Pious Fund, I would suggest you find a copy of: "Exposition Addressed to the Chamber of Deputies of the Congress of the Union.Concerning the Regulation and Administration of the Pious Fund". Translated and Edited by Herbert Ingram Priestley.

The original was written in Spanish by Carlos Carrillo.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is cut block at that foundation.

When I saw the early picture with the small, stacked rock rooms I thought the same as Hiker, Native American.
But Frank's right, that one piece shows something else.
The Hohokam polished, flaked, and ground stone, but did they work stone like that in Frank's picture?

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Joe there were several. One cut at a angle like a pitched roof support ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458798013.337594.jpg

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any "cut" stone in the Burbridge photo. Or tooling marks on the example in Frank's own photo.
That kind of worked stone would suggest a far different type of construction, rather than the misc. rubble stone we see in the photo. Natural cleaving can leave flat surfaces at differing angles as well. The Hohokam and Salado lived in and built many structures in the Tonto Basin/ Four peaks area, as well as the QC/ Gold Canyon area.
Shouldn't be any problem for someone to drive out to the Burns Ranch and get a photo with a matching background (skyline).

Last edited:

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ErnieP...

Just to note that carbon dating anything less than 500 years old is very inaccurate, so for wood another method is in use, dendrochronology, that in some cases can pinpoint the exact year...interesting stuff..

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hesitate to ask the old Sarge to do all that counting, he'd likely have to remove a boot or two.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I don't see any "cut" stone in the Burbridge photo. Or tooling marks on the example in Frank's own photo.
That kind of worked stone would suggest a far different type of construction, rather than the misc. rubble stone we see in the photo. Natural cleaving can leave flat surfaces at differing angles as well. The Hohokam and Salado lived in and built many structures in the Tonto Basin/ Four peaks area, as well as the QC/ Gold Canyon area.
Shouldn't be any problem for someone to drive out to the Burns Ranch and get a photo with a matching background (skyline).

Cut stone? Lets keep things straight. The stacked stone in the Burbridge photo is just that, stacked stone block. No one mentioned cut stone at that site. The "cut" sample is Frank's discovery from the Peralta Road site. Two very different locations.

Yes, it should be easy enough to confirm.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only expert Free Mason's can cut stone and leave no discernible tool marks. It's an ancient form of natural setting. You hammer with a wooden tool and split the stone on it's natural grain. Using harder stone chisels than the host rock you're cutting. According to the Treasure of Tumacacori map it was called "Antiquing".

I have some examples if you would like to see.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Only expert Free Mason's can cut stone and leave no discernible tool marks. It's an ancient form of natural setting. You hammer with a wooden tool and split the stone on it's natural grain. Using harder stone chisels than the host rock you're cutting. According to the Treasure of Tumacacori map it was called "Antiquing".

I have some examples if you would like to see.

Please do.
And a cleaved stone is not a cut stone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread