New Book

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Just got back from Cuba, and I too, have just finished Glover's book.

My immediate reaction is that Dr. Glover is to be congratulated for putting together quite a comprehensive tome concerning the legends, stories, and myths associated with the Superstitions. What makes it exceedingly valuable is the tremendous amount of level-headed and diligent research that went into each subject covered in the book. Dr. Glover doesn't have an agenda, and doesn't manipulate or distort anything. He asks very good questions and lets you make your own decisions. That approach alone makes his book very valuable. This seminal work should be, and I daresay will be, the bible for any serious dutch hunter. If you only buy one book concerning the LDM, this book, without question, is it. It's worth every penny.

The biggest benefits it offer, IMO, is showing how many of the tales have become convoluted, mixed up, and conflated with other tales, becoming a mish-mash so to speak (apropos of oral traditions). One then gets the idea of just how much there is to really sort through.

The other important thing that a hopefully sensible reader will take away from all this is the realization that you can pretty much make clues fit anything you find in the Superstitions. Without very specific directions (most DH'ers didn't have any), even the most experienced DH could be standing right on top of the LDM and not know it.

As I've mentioned before, the only reason you see a visible mine (or signs of one) is because it has been played out. Any miner(s) with half a sense would have taken extreme care to disguise a producing mine, very well, especially in that for many of them, mining was seasonal. And then there is the nature factor- nature does a great job of adding to the disguise, especially when it has time.

That being said, this book is a real wealth of information, both old and new. I was able to take away quite a bit of new information from it. A few questions were satisfactorily answered for me- for example, Ruth's demise being an act of murder; new information from the book has made that pretty much a conclusion.

I hope to see subsequent editions with new information added and editing corrections made.

My signed copy is already dog-eared, with a Cuban Pesos bill as an alternate bookmark:

View attachment 1260475

Great review and now my next purchase.
Welcome home.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got back from Cuba, and I too, have just finished Glover's book.
<cut>
As I've mentioned before, the only reason you see a visible mine (or signs of one) is because it has been played out. Any miner(s) with half a sense would have taken extreme care to disguise a producing mine, very well, especially in that for many of them, mining was seasonal. And then there is the nature factor- nature does a great job of adding to the disguise, especially when it has time.

That being said, this book is a real wealth of information, both old and new. I was able to take away quite a bit of new information from it. A few questions were satisfactorily answered for me- for example, Ruth's demise being an act of murder; new information from the book has made that pretty much a conclusion.

I hope to see subsequent editions with new information added and editing corrections made.

My signed copy is already dog-eared, with a Cuban Pesos bill as an alternate bookmark:

I agree that small mining operations were typically camouflaged when operations were suspended. I don't believe that these miners went to any extremes, particularly if they intended to resume work in the reasonably near future. Reports of Apaches killing miners and thoroughly obscuring their mines indicate a more permanent solution, and such an effort could be attributed to Waltz and his alleged mine - if one believed the LDM story, that is.

Now - how was Cuba? I'm trying to break through the hype and decide if the island deserves to be on a destination list. What do you think, having now been there?

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that small mining operations were typically camouflaged when operations were suspended. I don't believe that these miners went to any extremes, particularly if they intended to resume work in the reasonably near future. Reports of Apaches killing miners and thoroughly obscuring their mines indicate a more permanent solution, and such an effort could be attributed to Waltz and his alleged mine - if one believed the LDM story, that is.

Now - how was Cuba? I'm trying to break through the hype and decide if the island deserves to be on a destination list. What do you think, having now been there?

As this is a thread about Glover's new book, I don't want to hijack it so I'll keep it short.

Cuba was an experience unlike any other I've ever had. It is an exotic cocktail of beauty and squalor, of maddening inefficiency and undying hospitality. It is the place 1959 came to stay and never really left, courtesy of the spectacular failure that is the communist experiment, crumbling to the ground along with the colonial buildings in Old Havana. Time stands still, caught between the police state constantly celebrating the revolution as if it happened yesterday, and the seething, soulful passion of a people longing to modernize. Romance lurks at every sultry corner under the hot tropical breeze, and flowers in spite of the watchful eyes of the police spies. The sunsets on the Malecon are like no other.

And go, you should. It will be a great, but not easy experience. You will have better luck finding the LDM than a nice, hot shower as Cuba is still a third world country. Be sure to bring face wipes, hand sanitizers, and toilet paper. Drink only bottled water, and eat only where you must pay in convertible pesos, not the Peso Cubano.

Some pictures:

12549069_10154438208286258_1443033405333725839_n.jpg 12565355_10154438208351258_4033150657630634875_n.jpg 12510335_10154438208826258_735287386584857420_n.jpg

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
As this is a thread about Glover's new book, I don't want to hijack it so I'll keep it short.

Yes, let's move on. Thanks for your concise report - it dovetails closely with two or three others I've gotten lately. Maybe in the future.

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, let's move on. Thanks for your concise report - it dovetails closely with two or three others I've gotten lately. Maybe in the future.

Happy to. You'll have to let me know how your itinerary turns out too, especially Malta. A trip to the Greek Isles is on my agenda as well.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy to. You'll have to let me know how your itinerary turns out too, especially Malta. A trip to the Greek Isles is on my agenda as well.

You won't be disappointed. Choosing will be the only problem.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Gentlemen,

At the Rendezvous I was asked about my new book, when it would be out and what is it going to be on. I very much appreciate the interest and support. Finally the proofs have arrived and the book should be out in a few weeks. The title is “Treasure Tales of the Superstitions”.

It is a collection of the various tales, stories and accounts from Simon Novinger to the Two Soldiers to Indian stories to much lesser known ones. The format is to tell the tales, and if there is more than one version to compare the different accounts and then compare the accounts to the known history.--included are brief biographical accounts on the participants where possible.

There is a chapter on clues listed by source, e.g., Bicknell, Bark, etc., there are maps of: clues, reputed sightings of Waltz, lost mine/treasure maps, etc. The clues chapter has about 350 clues. Some are variations of other clues, some well known, some not. The last section of the book is Twice Told Tales, which is a fictional account of the first 24 hrs. of Len and I in the mountains discussing the mine. Included in this part are accounts from other Dutch Hunters that I have known, such as Al Reser, Gerry Hamrick and Bob Crandall – the accounts from these friends include not just Dutch Hunting, but also some of their encounters with others and different adventures, such as Bob Crandall’s encounter with Howard Hughes.

I appreciate the patience and the help that has been so generously offered by so many including, but by no means limited to Jack Carlson, Greg Davis, Shelly at Guidon, Bob Corbin, Tom Kollenborn, to the historical societies from Baltimore, MD to Texas (state and Castroville), to colleagues in Weaverville, CA. to angels at the National Archives, the Arizona State Archives, the California State Archives, and on and on. The amount of work that people I have never met have done to help is mind boggling, such as the woman at the New Jersey State archives who helped track do the record of Jim Bark’s birth. The record was poorly written and it had be written over, but she persisted and was able to untangle it all.

Once I know a release date I will post.

I thank you for your interest

Thomas Glover

Thomas969,
I ordered your new book last week and look forward to spending time with it. Thank you for the effort and I wish you strong and continued sales.
I am hoping that you have time to write something short about the photograph that has been attributed to Julia, specifically, who located it, and how we know with certainty that it is Julia? Just to be clear, I am not asking the name responsible for leaving it to us, just who rediscovered it and how it was determined to be her. Any help/insight you can offer would be much appreciate as would be your time.

Thank you again.

Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
All,

This was my review written for Amazon.com:

[Dr. Glovers latest book is a welcome addition to his two earlier publications concerning the Lost Dutchman Mine, and the legends and lore of the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. His chapter "Twice Told Tales" is like a "Ride Through Time....", so to speak, and gives us a personal, fictional account of a 24-hour trip into the Superstition Mountains with his good friend and partner Len Killen, who passed away Dec. 5, 2014. They discuss many aspects of the various legends and stories attached to that beautiful yet dangerous range.

No Dutch Hunter or fan of the legends surrounding the Lost Dutchman Mine should be without this latest edition.

Joe Ribaudo
Founder of the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous]

The book is very well written with few exceptions. If you read, and I understand some of you don't, :dontknow: you should have this book in your collection. It does contain some new facts and stories.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

cactusjumper,
Just in time before the snowstorm hits us. So much more than I had expected and I don't mind the glitch one bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread