Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mag only finds ferrous metal objects (iron, steel, etc). It won't see gold or silver, but it can find hinges, locks, guns, anything made of iron or steel. It will hit on something the size of a garbage can at about 12-15 feet depending on the ground conditions.

Mike

According to my dad (I have the paperwork & the lie detector test the state made him take for a trove permit)
over 2 tons gold in sacks & gold bars stacked 20 feet down at the location I revisited.
Estimated over $300 million at $20 per ounce then. A person they knew was taking a bar out every now & then to survive, then he died.
I read nothing about any iron or other metals in the shaft.

still a cool device tho!!

I blacked out his attorneys name as he is still in business & I don't want him bothered.

View attachment 1264859

View attachment 1264861

View attachment 1264862

newspaper ad:
View attachment 1264863

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple 808 like this one would do the trick. I have one I bought years ago. Just say the word and you can borrow it anytime you want Carrol.

It goes down about the same as a Mag at 15 foot but does caves and voids too.

View attachment 1264896

According to my dad (I have the paperwork & the lie detector test the state made him take for a trove permit)
over 2 tons gold in sacks & gold bars stacked 20 feet down at the location I revisited.
Estimated over $300 million at $20 per ounce then. A person they knew was taking a bar out every now & then to survive, then he died.

I blacked out his attorneys name as he is still in business & I don't want him bothered.

View attachment 1264859

View attachment 1264861

View attachment 1264862

newspaper ad:
View attachment 1264863

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1264859

View attachment 1264861

View attachment 1264862

newspaper ad:
View attachment 1264863

THAT is why I have the two-box Fisher Gemini. It will find a car sized metal (any metal) object at about twenty feet. A garbage can sized object at about 12 feet.

Mike

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I prefer my Jones mod 2000 with a 25" coil. Tried 2 box units and don't like them. One of the problems with them is your standing between the coils. Unless your detecting naked it affects the signal.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bll, you can set that up to detector for an 8 Real coin @ severa inches. Also' The original 3-D was even better, but it was manual set up. All 3 machines have a rebalancing push button. Darn good machines, can dffereniate between ferrous and non ferous materie, and detect voids..

I used mine to find that mule train of 8 -Reales..

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, SDC, but the answer is to empty your pocket of metal, geenerally a belt buckle willl not trigger them, unless yuu are wearing one like the wrestling championship.. Incidentally your's is an excellent machine also. The problem with a 25 iinch coil of that type, is that it cannot be used in brush, or heay weed growth

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer my Jones mod 2000 with a 25" coil. Tried 2 box units and don't like them. One of the problems with them is your standing between the coils. Unless your detecting naked it affects the signal.

Frank,

That SD2000 will only punch down about three feet max (remember, I have one too), maybe about a foot more with a 25 inch coil. The two-box will see something the size of a car at about 20 feet deep. The SD doesn't come close. A two-box can also find voids (caves/mines/tunnels), while the SD cannot.

Mike

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple 808 like this one would do the trick. I have one I bought years ago. Just say the word and you can borrow it anytime you want Carrol.

It goes down about the same as a Mag at 15 foot but does caves and voids too.

View attachment 1264896

Bill that's very generous!
Does it have sound or a scope with a waveform? or?
If I hold it over the spot & it rings off like crazy, I'd be looking for a shovel!! or hell i'd use my hands!!!

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think I can walk around state park nude carrying an unusual looking contraption!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll carry it nude, well, except for my "snake" guards :thumbsup:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll carry it nude, well, except for my "snake" guards :thumbsup:

Sounds like the start of a bad gay joke;

"So, this guy walks into a bar wearing nothing but snake chaps........................"

Frank,

As much as I have used two-box detectors, I have never had any issues with them hitting on things I was carrying.

Mike

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Mike every piece of equipment has its place. I've used 2 box units. Just don't care for them. With a single big coil unit I can find both small and large targets. I only use a 25" coil if I have a spot that may have a large deep target. Even then I don't care to dig to China at my old age. I've been there and don't care for the food. Plus at your size you need to dig a hole a few feet wider than I do.

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrol. You won't be walking but riding your backhoe. You will need it for that 15 foot hole

sgt the hole is already there, just got to remove the top, then a rope would come in handy....
I've taken ropes down pitch black shafts before (just don't go to the bottom, snakes).

I could hand up the bars, then you can test your locators over the bars?

If they're gold, take pictures & throw them back in the hole & apply for a treasure trove permit?

OMG that's funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who is ever going to throw gold bars back in a hole???

Last edited:

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sgt the hole is already there, just got to remove the top, then a rope would come in handy....
I've taken ropes down pitch black shafts before (just don't go to the bottom, snakes).

I could hand up the bars, then you can test your locators over the bars?

If they're gold, take pictures & throw them back in the hole & apply for a treasure trove permit?

OMG that's funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who is ever going to throw gold bars back in a hole???

Carrol, I would be glad to help you uncover the hole and see what is down there. Sounds like it might be a great adventure

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's get Mikey to do it.

That's it!!.................we'll send Mike in the shaft with the locator & we'll take the pictures while he hands up the gold bars!!

I'm sure he'll trust us to be there when he's done hauling up the gold?

Park rangers coming by saying " why is there a big, bulging type man in a mine shaft? "

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill that's very generous!
Does it have sound or a scope with a waveform? or?
If I hold it over the spot & it rings off like crazy, I'd be looking for a shovel!! or hell i'd use my hands!!!

Your welcome Carrol. The unit only has a meter on it. And I've found nothing with it so far. It does however do a good job of locating septic tank access covers. That is if your into locating that sort of $#it. I'm sure if it was a covered shaft or pit the machine would sing like a bird. If you ever need to borrow I'll bring it up to AJ for you.
You can keep it for a while I never use it down here. I think it takes 8 D cell's. It's modified for rough terrain with copper ground wires running the length of the antenna's. I did this for balance purposes. It would lose balance every time up accidently bumped a cactus or tree. If you had to balance it every few feet you could balance your target right off the scale so I added the 14 gauge wires for a better ground than the aluminum antenna shafts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread