boatcapt

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2012
NW Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 60's while in boot camp - I had a case of "M-1 thumb" man did that hurt and never forgot to get my thumb outta the way while closing the bolt!!

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
somehiker said: .454 is also a sure thing when it comes to lighting up a stubborn campfire.....
View attachment 1280326
Also functions as as a flare gun at night as well as lets your neighbors know your exact position. Since I hate snakes, it would be my "Snake gun" of choice.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
somehiker said: .454 is also a sure thing when it comes to lighting up a stubborn campfire.....
View attachment 1280326
Also functions as as a flare gun at night as well as lets your neighbors know your exact position. Since I hate snakes, it would be my "Snake gun" of choice.

Even if you miss the sucker, he's bbq'd.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought Casull was the cartridge.
Didn't know they made the hardware as well, Joe.

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
Marius,

Haven't played those games. I was fortunate enough to be issued a Garand in Vietnam. It was the only one I saw over there.

Take care,

Joe

You do realize that the "new" Springfield Armory isn't the same as the "old" Springfield that made good rifles back in the day right?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
You do realize that the "new" Springfield Armory isn't the same as the "old" Springfield that made good rifles back in the day right?

Wayne,

You are correct! Dick Casull developed the .454 wildcat load and was a partner in developing Freedom Arms in Freedom, Wyo. where the developed the Freedom Arms .454 casull. I believe that to be the finest/tightest hand gun ever produced. Mine was scoped and I could hit a pie plate at 300 yards with it.

Take care,

Joe

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatacha got against snakes, Simon ? You'd be kinda onry yrself if you had to crawl around on yout belly.

True, and I have occasionally crawled on my belly, but snakes can be sneaky and I skipped school the day they taught how to be sneaky so they are one up on me.
I have lived a "sheltered" life, ha ha.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sorry there is a real difference between a National Park and a National Forest Wilderness area. Nation Park, Don't get off the trail. National Forest Wilderness area, foot, mules, and horses. No motorized equipment. Some also have posted no Bicycles in Wilderness areas. In a National Forest you can file a claim, if you wanted to, or just do "recreational prospecting" only going down one foot, unless they changed the laws again. For Recreational Prospecting there is no bond to be posted.
In the State of Arizona the first claim marker must be a rock pile 3 feet high with a map of the claim inside, or a 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch with it being 4 feet above the ground with the map of the claim posted on it(We used 6 foot 2x2's for walking sticks in case we wanted to file a claim). You then file your claim at the County seat for $5. But until you have Discovery anyone can file over you if they have Discovery. That was the law in 1980 when my brother and I stopped at the B of Mines in Tucson. We also got a copy of the filing rules at that time.
I think my Sister-in-law may still have the booklet, as my brother passed away back in 2005. Recap
If you are in the park area, be very careful of where you walk(Stay on the trail). If in the National Forest, go anywhere you want on foot in the Wilderness areas, it belongs to all US Citizens.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread