jacob waltz jack swilling and others signiture on old letter to az territory govener

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
View attachment 12717 Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-55-59.png Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-56-09.png 43[/ATTACH]

more to come.......

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-55-29.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-55-29.png
    557.3 KB · Views: 247
OP
OP
DanB

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Soon I will have these transcribed....in formal letter format....in these letters they ask for help dealing with Indians near black canyon city az.....db

OP
OP
DanB

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Here's a close up of the signature lists from the petition...... Jacob waltz the lost dutchman...is on here..... as soon as I can finish transcribing the writing in the letters I will post it for all to read.....db

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
great info. Would love to read them.
Dont remember where,but there where a fe wpeople i believe from the pioneer diaries of Waltz coming donw cental, or center ave from the North with his mule or mules, or horses.

TEGlover

Jan 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The letter is actually a petition to the governor for prtection from Indians. It is one of two Waltz is known to have signed. As I recall, this is the first one and has no date, but based on the second petition it likely dates to circa late 1863. It is in my first book. It will be good to see a more legible petition ... Sometimes the old handwriting is a bit challenging.

Thomas

OP
OP
DanB

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Here is the kicker the writing matches his signature on other documents that are posted for all to see. ...kirkland is also on there......goodwin was in office for 1 year.....easy to id the year......

OP
OP
DanB

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
I believe jacob was his gold out of the Valencia mine...... one of the few lines that actually have popcorn gold...... based on what other people talk about on the shear zone where the material would come from that mine matches..... the state has a lot of information on it that they grouped into other files to bury...... somebody does not want to rewrite history...... the Valencia mine can no longer be operated because it lies within the eavesmount of the ADOT I 17 and the gas pipeline....... state blocked access making it hard to prove it's actually it but the state Knows.......

OP
OP
DanB

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
From the Valencia mine there is easy access to the Peralta trail it's within 2 days....... follow Table Mesa Road East pass carefree drop into the Verde River cross Fort McDowell back over Fish Creek and into the superstition...... there's also a string of Indian ruins that follow the same path each one a days walk from water

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a transcript of what I can see of the letter. I could guess at portions of what is cut off but left it blank. There are a few words I couldn't make out. Perhaps others will be able to decipher them.

Lynda

To his Excellency John N Goodwin, Governor of Arizona
We the undersigned Citizens of Randolph District would respectfully submit the following statement to your consideration and would ask that if deemed advisable, you take immediately such steps in the premises as will render us some protection from the Indians who surround us.

The District which we occupy comprises that portion of the Haciamp Creek between the rise of said creek and the Long Canon a distance of Eleven (11) miles and in all of said distance there is abundance of water for sluicing purposes during the entire year with a good supply of timber (end page 1) …(start page 2) skirting the banks of the stream and a _____________ growth of grass over the ext________ valley and surrounding foot hills. There have recently been very rich deposits of gold discovered _______ almost all the bars of said creek ----------and extensive preparations are ____________ being made to carry on active ___________pporations, besides many claims which are opened, and paying largely. We are in an isolated District being twenty miles from Indian Gulch the nearest point which we can obtain supplies. We are compelled to keep the animals necessary to pack into the District ____ such supplies. This District combines probably more advan____________any other portion of the Ter(ritory?) and will be one of the last point(s) abandoned as the mines are R____________and the facilities for working them. (end page 2)
(Start page 3) Yet within the last three days the Indians have made such hostile demonstrations and so many miners are leaving the adjacent Districts that we have some cause of apprehension for the safety of ____________ and the small remnant of stock left. Within the last ten days the Indians have visited and robbed every camp on the Creek and last night appeared in sufficient force to make a formidable attack. We are unable to procure for money arms and ammunition adequate to defend ____________ and we would ask that you station a small force of troops in our vicinity or issue us a sufficient quantity of arms and ammunition to enable us to protect ourselves and your Petitioners, as in duty bound, will ever pray and C___________

(followed by signatures)

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if they got the help that they asked for? I think I read somewhere that they didn't.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was a little boy, I would ride the old Swilling trail that leads from (now) the north end of Lake Pleasant, up into the Bradshaws along Cow Creek up to the Crown King trail. The old timers up there back in the 1960s, used to tell stories of finding highgrading caches of ore just off the trail, taken from various gold mines.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the kicker the writing matches his signature on other documents that are posted for all to see. ...kirkland is also on there......goodwin was in office for 1 year.....easy to id the year......

i was looking at the signature you posted with some of the signatures
on the docs posted on pgs 7-8-9, over on the olber thread.
your posted doc with JW signature, doesnt look like the signatures on those
docs in that thread, if i can get some time an access to other immigration and
naturalization records with other Jacob Waltz signatures, id like to compare
and see if i can find a match to your posted signature of JW. or has this
already been done and i shouldnt waste time on it

pg 7-8-9
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/l...28-olber-manifest-other-fables-fantasy-7.html

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i was looking at the signature you posted with some of the signatures
on the docs posted on pgs 7-8-9, over on the olber thread.
your posted doc with JW signature, doesnt look like the signatures on those
docs in that thread, if i can get some time an access to other immigration and
naturalization records with other Jacob Waltz signatures, id like to compare
and see if i can find a match to your posted signature of JW. or has this
already been done and i shouldnt waste time on it

pg 7-8-9
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/l...28-olber-manifest-other-fables-fantasy-7.html
Jacob's signature has an X to the left of it. This was common then and even now when a person is incapable of signing their name to simply make a mark (usually an X) and have someone else write in their name. This is where the expression "make your mark" came from.

Even today when an individual, either through illness, disability or an inability to write this is common practice. A witnessed X is enough to satisfy the requirement for a signature on legal documents.

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacob's signature has an X to the left of it. This was common then and even now when a person is incapable of signing their name to simply make a mark (usually an X) and have someone else write in their name. This is where the expression "make your mark" came from.

Even today when an individual, either through illness, disability or an inability to write this is common practice. A witnessed X is enough to satisfy the requirement for a signature on legal documents.

The "X" was put there to bring you to the attention of Jacob Waltz signature on the document. Waltz did not need an "X" for he was very capable of writing his signature. There are about 10 examples of his signature on documents. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "X" was put there to bring you to the attention of Jacob Waltz signature on the document. Waltz did not need an "X" for he was very capable of writing his signature. There are about 10 examples of his signature on documents. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
I thought the same thing Greg as the original at the Sharlot Hall archives in Prescott does not have the X.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread