Walter Gassler May 3, 1902 - May 4, 1984

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thirty-two years ago today Walter Gassler, a noted Dutchman Mine hunter died while searching for the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona. Walter had searched for the mine for half a century and was sure he had found it and was going into the mountains to prove his mine was indeed the Dutchman. Walter was found dead on May 4, 1984 along the Peters Mesa trail just above Charleboise spring.

Walter Gassler believed the mine was on the Peters Mesa/Pistol Canyon area. He established a camp in a Laurel grove of trees on the west side of the North Peters Mesa dome. Walter left a wonderful manuscript of his life and searches in the Superstitions and he is missed today by all who knew him and Dutch hunters everywhere.

Walter Gassler 1934.jpg

Walter Gassler search area.jpg

Walter Gassler's mine area.JPG

Cinnabar (Mercury) Peters Mesa.JPG

Gold sample Peters Mesa x.JPG

Gold sample Peters Mesa xx.JPG

Walter Gassler mine.jpg

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Thirty-two years ago today Walter Gassler, a noted Dutchman Mine hunter died while searching for the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona. Walter had searched for the mine for half a century and was sure he had found it and was going into the mountains to prove his mine was indeed the Dutchman. Walter was found dead on May 4, 1984 along the Peters Mesa trail just above Charleboise spring.

Walter Gassler believed the mine was on the Peters Mesa/Pistol Canyon area. He established a camp in a Laurel grove of trees on the west side of the North Peters Mesa dome. Walter left a wonderful manuscript of his life and searches in the Superstitions and he is missed today by all who knew him and Dutch hunters everywhere.

View attachment 1308288

View attachment 1308291

View attachment 1308292

View attachment 1308295

View attachment 1308296

View attachment 1308297

View attachment 1308304

A great post Matthew Roberts.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Matthew. Glad to see you posting again!

Mike

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Matthew,

Peter's Mesa has been a popular search area for many years now. I would say, it's been searched from "pillar to post". There is an old trail that zig-zags up the east side of the mesa. Believe it started out as a game trail and got some, more recent, use by Native Americans. I believe there are still some folks searching up there to this day.

Some believe that could be where John Chunning's 7-mile trail ended up. Believe there are still traces of that trail to be seen today.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Matthew,

Peter's Mesa has been a popular search area for many years now. I would say, it's been searched from "pillar to post". There is an old trail that zig-zags up the east side of the mesa. Believe it started out as a game trail and got some, more recent, use by Native Americans. I believe there are still some folks searching up there to this day.

Some believe that could be where John Chunning's 7-mile trail ended up. Believe there are still traces of that trail to be seen today.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Have you been up there, Joe? Just wondering.

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder where Gollum is lately, haven't seen Mike post in a while?
Hope he's found the mother-lode and has been busy cashing in.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread