Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: Ted Cox and the Ridge Pit Mine

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1198 times
    Old Jesuits and Spainish Mines
    Joe, They New exactly how to get there and they did, Its when they left the trail they got confused, The Milkhouse is just added later, like known Dutchman's Ore being white, You know the earliest newspapers said it was Rose color, Julia was so sure of the directions were so easy to follow she sold everything.
    Thats pretty damm confident I'd say. You followed to many people that, in your favorite phrase.
    From Sources that are very good.

wrmickel1

us
    Dec 2008
    5392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wrmickel1 View Post
    Joe, They New exactly how to get there and they did, Its when they left the trail they got confused, The Milkhouse is just added later, like known Dutchman's Ore being white, You know the earliest newspapers said it was Rose color, Julia was so sure of the directions were so easy to follow she sold everything.
    Thats pretty damm confident I'd say. You followed to many people that, in your favorite phrase.
    From Sources that are very good.

wrmickel1
    mick..there has been many people that have sold everything they own to go on a fools errand and come up empty handed

us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1198 times
    Dave

Sure, But Julia supplied the information to the early newspaper reports and where they went and camped and backed up by the other two that went with her.
    But in the end she lost.

Wrmickel1
    azdave35 and Real of Tayopa like this.

Curious

Jul 2013
    MN
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusjumper View Post
    CG,

I believe I have told this story before, but it may be worthwhile to repeat.

A number of years ago, not really many, I invited a old friend up for a weekend. At the same time I invited an old friend of his for dinner. That person had been in my store and told me he was the one who took the pictures of the "Kochera Gold". He brought in his original 8x10 photos, later, for me to copy. He also told me he, along with two other people, had rode up to the Pit Mine. Along the way, one of those people pointed out two caches that had been emptied out. He named both of the people who were with him.
    One of those people was the man I had invited up for the weekend. As we sat in my living room, the trip up to the Pit Mine was brought up. The photographer said "You remember -------, you were with us on that trip. Since he had denied knowledge of the Pit Mine to me earlier, he somewhat sheepishly admitted that he did remember.
    The third person on that ride, according to the photographer, opined how-------was dying to open up the Pit Mine. At the time, it was still sealed. The "insiders" you mentioned will know who opened that mine.

At some time, I had asked the photographer if he thought the Kochera Ore might have come out of the Pit Mine, and he replied "I know it did". That may be a loose quote, but it's pretty close.

My sources are very good. For how good they are, you will have to ask the guy who opened up the mine. I believe every aspect of the above story.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
    I always enjoy your accounts, Joe, and would love more of them-- all the ones I've read have the ring of authenticity to them. Guess I can do a search of all your posts.

Ever played with the idea of writing a book? I'd volunteer to edit it, if you do.

BTW, I also offered to edit Jack's book through Frank A., as my experience has been that LDM books tend to have too, many, commas. Frank said Jack already had someone and, as I'm sure you've read his book, look how that turned out. Great book that IMO would have benefited from another pass by a new set of editing eyes.
    Last edited by Curious_George; Jan 09, 2019 at 07:39 AM.

us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1198 times
    CG

You'll find in this game, "A new set of eye's" will make you a Villain" to the establishment! Most of them have forged a Providence and twisted there very name into the ledgen, From forged affidavits to trinkets to a very piece of known Dutchman ore. Manuscripts that appear out of the blue with No known ties to anyone.

Wrmickel1
    Real of Tayopa likes this.

Curious

Jul 2013
    MN
    43 times
    CG

You'll find in this game, "A new set of eye's" will make you a Villain" to the establishment! Most of them have forged a Providence and twisted there very name into the ledgen, From forged affidavits to trinkets to a very piece of known Dutchman ore. Manuscripts that appear out of the blue with No known ties to anyone.

Wrmickel1
    Boy, and here all I wanted was a free copy of the book.

Guess I gotta remember there really is evil, and evil people in the world.

The LDM is not just an interesting puzzle, it's also a Rorschach test for character & clear thinking. Thanks for the heads up, wrmickel1.

It helps me understand why so many close to the Legend are suspicious, paranoid and not trusting. In that sense, I'm probably more like Dr. Glover than I thought. Here I thought he was the one with an overly rosy view of the old boys club, "we're just all good buddies here." I guess, since I'm at a remove of 1500 miles from the Supes, I can be a bit more objective/ dispassionate about it & talking with others about it.

It's an interesting experience. I am not used to not being trusted. In my world, I am used to being trusted. Makes sense to have a bit of a part of you that doesn't trust people you don't know well yet, for safety sake.

Look at Ted Cox & Bud Dunn.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    1471 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_George View Post
    Boy, and here all I wanted was a free copy of the book.

Guess I gotta remember there really is evil, and evil people in the world.

The LDM is not just an interesting puzzle, it's also a Rorschach test for character & clear thinking. Thanks for the heads up, wrmickel1.

It helps me understand why so many close to the Legend are suspicious, paranoid and not trusting. In that sense, I'm probably more like Dr. Glover than I thought. Here I thought he was the one with an overly rosy view of the old boys club, "we're just all good buddies here." I guess, since I'm at a remove of 1500 miles from the Supes, I can be a bit more objective/ dispassionate about it & talking with others about it.

It's an interesting experience. I am not used to not being trusted. In my world, I am used to being trusted. Makes sense to have a bit of a part of you that doesn't trust people you don't know well yet, for safety sake.

Look at Ted Cox & Bud Dunn.
    Well said. There are/were some real "characters" out there, jealously guarding what's most likely fake maps and clues. That's what happens when we close down insane asylums in this country...they're all free to buy a six-shooter and make their way to the Supes...

Don't pay too much mind to Mick...he gets loose from that tree his wife tied him to, he hits the sauce and goes off on a tear

Is your you-tube video still up Mick?

us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1198 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PotBelly Jim View Post
    Well said. There are/were some real "characters" out there, jealously guarding what's most likely fake maps and clues. That's what happens when we close down insane asylums in this country...they're all free to buy a six-shooter and make their way to the Supes...

Don't pay too much mind to Mick...he gets loose from that tree his wife tied him to, he hits the sauce and goes off on a tear

Is your you-tube video still up Mick?
    Which video, I have a lot of them, Ohh and I don't drink. All I'm saying is, if someone had solid proof of anything outside the established Dutchman's ledgen it would make a lot of guardians of the ledgen, frauds. And some walk out becoming very successful in life, But in the chatter, jealous hunters claim they found this or that to justify there success. It's a never ending viscous cycle.

Wrmickel1
    coazon de oro likes this.

us
    Dec 2008
    5392 times
    Which video, I have a lot of them, Ohh and I don't drink. All I'm saying is, if someone had solid proof of anything outside the established Dutchman's ledgen it would make a lot of guardians of the ledgen, frauds. And some walk out becoming very successful in life, But in the chatter, jealous hunters claim they found this or that to justify there success. It's a never ending viscous cycle.

Wrmickel1
    mick doesn't drink?

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    1471 times

Wrmickel1
    The video of "Tie my P*&6%$ to a tree", of course...

Hope all is well with you Mick, you don't seem to be your happy-go-lucky self...

"Never ending viscous cycle"...are you talking about a lava lamp?

Take care, amigo

Jim

us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1198 times
    That has over 8000 hits, a small success I'd think. Had a very successful year, looking forward to 19!

I'm still go happy lucky me, Just fishing

Wrmickel1
    coazon de oro likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    1471 times
    That has over 8000 hits, a small success I'd think. Had a very successful year, looking forward to 19!

I'm still go happy lucky me, Just fishing

Wrmickel1
    Glad to hear you're doing well, Mick, and best wishes for 2019!

Post some links to your new stuff...and also to that Golden Oldie about having appendages tied to a tree...too lazy to go back and look it up.
    coazon de oro and wrmickel1 like this.

gr
    Oct 2012
    4841 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old View Post
    Excellent recount Matthew.

Just to fill a couple of holes. Quintin (Ted) Cox was born March 3, 1920 and died April 8, 1983. He married Mamie Rose Billingslea originally of New Mexico on Sept. 17, 1943. This is possibly a second marriage for Mamie Rose. They were said to have had 2 children. One child (son) is thought to still be living, one child (daughter), Rose Marie, born Sept 2, 1944 having died October 15, 1997. Mamie Rose Cox died in Camp Verde, AZ in 2008.

During Ted Cox youth, as you tell us, the family lived in Globe, AZ. At the time of Ted's birth, Samuel, Ted's father was a machinist for a copper mine. Their next door neighbor was Arturo Salazar of Mexico and his family. Salazar also was a machinist for a copper mine.

Ted's father, Samuel, was born in Lexington, VA about 1870. Samuel was apparently orphaned as an early teenager. Samuel worked originally with the railroad as an engineer and later as a machinist. He was employed in Guadalajara, Mexico, for the railroad, where he met and married his first wife, Leticia in 1897. Ted Cox's older siblings were all born in Mexico. Samuel married second Bertha Drake originally of Kansas, but living in Mexico at the time of the marriage. Samuel and Bertha moved to Globe where Samuel continued to work for the Arizona Eastern Railroad Company.

Ted was born of the second marriage, Bertha Drake being his mother.

Just using all this background information as a spring board, I believe Ted was, from an early age, well versed in the Spanish language, Mexican history and legends. Its little wonder to me he spent a good portion of his life treasure hunting the mountains from Globe to Phoenix. He had opportunity and a rather unique perspective.

Matthew, having access as you apparently do to some (if not all of) Ted Cox's papers what's your opinion of his maps and diagrams of what he believed to be the Spanish diggings including his marked location for the Lost Dutchman? Although what we know as the "Pit mine" is roughly marked and in the area, its not (in my opinion) where Cox places the LDM. Thoughts?

Lynda
    Hi Lynda

Can you find so detailed info about Bud Dunn too?
    Than you in advance.
    Real of Tayopa likes this.
    Marius

If your true to your heart, you will never go wrong. The truth is the truth, no matter how you look at it, and in every treasure story and legend there is a grain of truth. It's up to your spirit and heart to know the difference. NP

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Sponsored Links