Ted Cox and the Ridge Pit Mine

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
That has over 8000 hits, a small success I'd think. Had a very successful year, looking forward to 19!

I'm still go happy lucky me, Just fishing

Wrmickel1

Glad to hear you're doing well, Mick, and best wishes for 2019! :goldpan: :goldbar:

Post some links to your new stuff...and also to that Golden Oldie about having appendages tied to a tree...too lazy to go back and look it up.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent recount Matthew.

Just to fill a couple of holes. Quintin (Ted) Cox was born March 3, 1920 and died April 8, 1983. He married Mamie Rose Billingslea originally of New Mexico on Sept. 17, 1943. This is possibly a second marriage for Mamie Rose. They were said to have had 2 children. One child (son) is thought to still be living, one child (daughter), Rose Marie, born Sept 2, 1944 having died October 15, 1997. Mamie Rose Cox died in Camp Verde, AZ in 2008.

During Ted Cox youth, as you tell us, the family lived in Globe, AZ. At the time of Ted's birth, Samuel, Ted's father was a machinist for a copper mine. Their next door neighbor was Arturo Salazar of Mexico and his family. Salazar also was a machinist for a copper mine.

Ted's father, Samuel, was born in Lexington, VA about 1870. Samuel was apparently orphaned as an early teenager. Samuel worked originally with the railroad as an engineer and later as a machinist. He was employed in Guadalajara, Mexico, for the railroad, where he met and married his first wife, Leticia in 1897. Ted Cox's older siblings were all born in Mexico. Samuel married second Bertha Drake originally of Kansas, but living in Mexico at the time of the marriage. Samuel and Bertha moved to Globe where Samuel continued to work for the Arizona Eastern Railroad Company.

Ted was born of the second marriage, Bertha Drake being his mother.

Just using all this background information as a spring board, I believe Ted was, from an early age, well versed in the Spanish language, Mexican history and legends. Its little wonder to me he spent a good portion of his life treasure hunting the mountains from Globe to Phoenix. He had opportunity and a rather unique perspective.

Matthew, having access as you apparently do to some (if not all of) Ted Cox's papers what's your opinion of his maps and diagrams of what he believed to be the Spanish diggings including his marked location for the Lost Dutchman? Although what we know as the "Pit mine" is roughly marked and in the area, its not (in my opinion) where Cox places the LDM. Thoughts????

Lynda

Hi Lynda

Can you find so detailed info about Bud Dunn too?
Than you in advance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread