To Others

TEGlover

Jan 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen,

Perhaps as the Thanksgiving-Christmas season approaches we could put aside any differences within the Dutchman community and give thanks to those who have made contributions--both personal and professional--to our small corner of the world. Among whom are (alphabetically by last name):

To Jack Carlson and Elizabeth Stewart for their tireless research and giving us the best guides to both Western and Eastern Superstitions.

To Greg Davis for his hospitality to so many, for shepherding the archives of the Superstition Mountain Historical Society, for digging into his personal pocket to secure items he now makes available to other researchers at no cost. And so much more.

To Ron Feldman, who not only helped get me started in the mountains, but has done so for countless others. And for his hospitality leading me to Monty Edwards and Don Shade. Most may not know that when Ron started he had a piece of ground, a very few horses and a post to tie them to. He and Bob Shoose truly cut form pioneer cloth.

To Joe Ribaudo who started the Dutchman Rendezvous and is a tireless researcher trying to separate fact from otherwise.

To Jack San Felice, not simply for his contributions to the Dutchman, but also for his efforts to document the ranchers and ranches of the Superstitions. Without Jack’s efforts so much would have been lost.

To Bob Schoose, I remember the first time I met Bob. He had a circular saw in one hand and lumber stretched between two saw horses. He was helping build Goldfield with his own hands, from the bare ground up. A true western dreamer, doing his own thing, building with his ownhands.

To Clay Worst to whom I owe special and private thank-yous. As does anyone who has had the privilege and pleasure of his company, integrity and intelligence.

And for me especially my partners Len Killen and Tom Burnett.

This list is deliberately short and intentionally leaves out many, so that others may fill in the blanks. All of us in the Community stand on the shoulders of others.

Via Con Dios,

Thomas

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
My Hats off to you gentlemen, And so many more that never made the list.

Wrmickel1

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to thank my grandfather, Col. James L. Miller, for telling me to stop wasting my time looking for the LDGM, and to just enjoy the beauty and experience of riding and hiking the Superstition Mountains. :occasion14:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Gentlemen,

Perhaps as the Thanksgiving-Christmas season approaches we could put aside any differences within the Dutchman community and give thanks to those who have made contributions--both personal and professional--to our small corner of the world. Among whom are (alphabetically by last name):

To Jack Carlson and Elizabeth Stewart for their tireless research and giving us the best guides to both Western and Eastern Superstitions.

To Greg Davis for his hospitality to so many, for shepherding the archives of the Superstition Mountain Historical Society, for digging into his personal pocket to secure items he now makes available to other researchers at no cost. And so much more.

To Ron Feldman, who not only helped get me started in the mountains, but has done so for countless others. And for his hospitality leading me to Monty Edwards and Don Shade. Most may not know that when Ron started he had a piece of ground, a very few horses and a post to tie them to. He and Bob Shoose truly cut form pioneer cloth.

To Joe Ribaudo who started the Dutchman Rendezvous and is a tireless researcher trying to separate fact from otherwise.

To Jack San Felice, not simply for his contributions to the Dutchman, but also for his efforts to document the ranchers and ranches of the Superstitions. Without Jack’s efforts so much would have been lost.

To Bob Schoose, I remember the first time I met Bob. He had a circular saw in one hand and lumber stretched between two saw horses. He was helping build Goldfield with his own hands, from the bare ground up. A true western dreamer, doing his own thing, building with his ownhands.

To Clay Worst to whom I owe special and private thank-yous. As does anyone who has had the privilege and pleasure of his company, integrity and intelligence.

And for me especially my partners Len Killen and Tom Burnett.

This list is deliberately short and intentionally leaves out many, so that others may fill in the blanks. All of us in the Community stand on the shoulders of others.

Via Con Dios,

Thomas

Great post Thomas, and have to agree 100%.

I would extend gratitude to some others too, like

Sims Ely and Jim Bark, for the classic book that really helped start the ball rolling, The Lost Dutchman Mine
Julia Thomas, Reinhard Petrasch, as well as his father and brother Peter, for preserving some of the clues and directions,
Dick Holmes and his son Brownie Holmes for the same reasons;
Adolph Ruth and his son, <did he really find the LDM?>, and for the maps;
Pierpont C. Bicknell, the author of the very first articles on the LDM,
Dr Thomas Glover, whose ground breaking research has opened our eyes,
Helen Corbin, especially for her first book on the LDM titled the Curse of the Dutchman's Gold
John D. Mitchell, for the stories we would not have from other sources,
and of course Jacob Waltz himself, the founding father of this legend.

I would also like to thank the many friends, some of whom have passed on and have found the LDM, whom have all contributed to getting at the truth behind this legend.
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All of those mentioned have had an important influence in my own interest in the legends of the Lost Dutchman and the various tales of the Superstition Mountains. It all started, for me, with my Uncle, Chuck Ribaudo. Many men have since led me down this adventurous trail, helping me in the rough spots and keeping my interest alive for over half a century.

My list of lesser known guides include my father, Tony Ribaudo, friends like Ernie Provence, Tracy Hawkins, Dale Howard and newer friends like Paul, Garry and Larry, Ralph Johnson, Patrick Lucy.

Others who have kept the legends alive for me are Roy and Beth Decker, Tom Kollenborn, Bob Corbin, Jack and Elizabeth, Jack San Felice, Ron Feldman and his wonderful son's and hardly last........
My friend, Thomas Glover.

I have walked those trails with many others (unnamed) and I hate it that so much has been lost for me. The memories and faces are all that are left. Still, I have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Our best to all our friends,

Joe & Carolyn

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to thank the fish in my profile picture for having a map to the previously Lost Dutchman Mine in his mouth. Although he sacrificed his mouth, and later his tasty self, the fish gave me enough treasure to buy a few more lures. Happy swimming to you, Sir Fish, wherever you are.:icon_king:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post Thomas, and have to agree 100%.

I would extend gratitude to some others too, like

Sims Ely and Jim Bark, for the classic book that really helped start the ball rolling, The Lost Dutchman Mine
Julia Thomas, Reinhard Petrasch, as well as his father and brother Peter, for preserving some of the clues and directions,
Dick Holmes and his son Brownie Holmes for the same reasons;
Adolph Ruth and his son, <did he really find the LDM?>, and for the maps;
Pierpont C. Bicknell, the author of the very first articles on the LDM,
Dr Thomas Glover, whose ground breaking research has opened our eyes,
Helen Corbin, especially for her first book on the LDM titled the Curse of the Dutchman's Gold
John D. Mitchell, for the stories we would not have from other sources,
and of course Jacob Waltz himself, the founding father of this legend.

I would also like to thank the many friends, some of whom have passed on and have found the LDM, whom have all contributed to getting at the truth behind this legend.
Oroblanco

I would like to sincerely thank the "company" that came up with the Stone Maps, and the person that introduced me to what they represent. This has unexpectedly turned out to be so much fun and a source of enjoyment, these past few years.

I furthermore am thankful that the Stone Maps have so much intricacy and multiple layers to them in that instead of being a quick and easy solution, they have been the equivalent of a fascinating thousand piece puzzle necessitating countless hours of fun detective work.

OP
OP
T

TEGlover

Jan 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning's visitors. I thank them for coming back!

And a thank you to the first time I met Tom Kollenborn. I had called him, more or less out of the blue. He said said he was recovering from the flu, but felt much better and said "come on over." I met him and we started to talk, and word that Tom was up to visitors. How the word spread I have no idea, but then that is the Dutchman community. By the end of the evening I had met not just Tom, bout also Bob Corbin, Greg Davis, Monte Edwards and ?? It was a full house. These men I all thank, especially Tom for his hospitality, then and now. As I was leaving I asked him about the Bark Notes, he opened a file cabinet and handed me my first set of the Bark Notes.

DeerOne.jpg

DeerTwo.jpg

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
This morning's visitors. I thank them for coming back!

And a thank you to the first time I met Tom Kollenborn. I had called him, more or less out of the blue. He said said he was recovering from the flu, but felt much better and said "come on over." I met him and we started to talk, and word that Tom was up to visitors. How the word spread I have no idea, but then that is the Dutchman community. By the end of the evening I had met not just Tom, bout also Bob Corbin, Greg Davis, Monte Edwards and ?? It was a full house. These men I all thank, especially Tom for his hospitality, then and now. As I was leaving I asked him about the Bark Notes, he opened a file cabinet and handed me my first set of the Bark Notes.

View attachment 1391680

View attachment 1391682

Great post Thomas, what a beautiful buck and a nice tribute.

Please do continue!
Oroblanco

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All of those mentioned have had an important influence in my own interest in the legends of the Lost Dutchman and the various tales of the Superstition Mountains. It all started, for me, with my Uncle, Chuck Ribaudo. Many men have since led me down this adventurous trail, helping me in the rough spots and keeping my interest alive for over half a century.

My list of lesser known guides include my father, Tony Ribaudo, friends like Ernie Provence, Tracy Hawkins, Dale Howard and newer friends like Paul, Garry and Larry, Ralph Johnson, Patrick Lucy.

Others who have kept the legends alive for me are Roy and Beth Decker, Tom Kollenborn, Bob Corbin, Jack and Elizabeth, Jack San Felice, Ron Feldman and his wonderful son's and hardly last........
My friend, Thomas Glover.

I have walked those trails with many others (unnamed) and I hate it that so much has been lost for me. The memories and faces are all that are left. Still, I have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Our best to all our friends,

Joe & Carolyn

Just reposted this old post on another site for any newbies who might find it of interest:

Postby Joe Ribaudo » Wed May 26, 2010 10:02 pm
Wayne,

Here is part of the story, which I posted back in 2004:

In March of 1966 I was wishing I was with my Uncle Chuck, and making the trip into the Superstitions as one of what would have been called the "seven guns" on Black Top Mountain by Glenn Magill. Uncle Sam just did not see it my way.

On March 28. 1966 Chuck wrote the following letter:

"Dear Joe,
Well I recieved your letter and was very glad to hear you are all right.
Yes we came back from Arizona, but are leaving to go back the 1st. of April.
The area has change to such an extent you wouldn't recognize it.
Upon ariving at Apache Junct. we continued our way to First Water Ranch
then straight east across West Boulder & East Boulder Canyon, until we came to Needle Canyon, than north for 3/8 mile.
We Camped under some real nice trees with running water 30 yds. away.
There is a cave to the left of our camp site and actual proof that Jacob Weiser & the dutchman were camped there, because we found square nails in the wall.
Well, the next morning we started looking for the elusive gold.
We went south towards Weavers Needle to a spot that would match where the cactus would be, but we couldn't find it. But on the way to this cactus we found a Spanish muleshoe. At this point I was pretty excited & not thinking to straight.

The next morning I & Dr. Phillips made our way up Black Top Mtn. to where the (petroglyphs) Spanish signs were. Well, they were there so I aligned myself to look S/East to the natural stone face marker & there she was.
Well, I told Tom that what we were looking for lay on that line to the stone face marker. But we had to have an idea of where the cactus with the stones would intersect this line.
In the meantime Manual (That would be Manual Salado) had made his way towards us, from way down canyon and just by fluke luck was on the same line that we were on.
Well, anyway he spoted this ridge & made for it, while we were coming down. So he says, hell! don't look anymore I found it. Tom checked it with the detectron and it went ape ****. But I still wanted to find that Cactus Marker, so I stood at the point where the reading was so high & calibrated my compass to find due east and it aligned up to a crevace on Bluff Springs Mtn.
Any how, we started moving rock away and ran smack into Caliche Cement, with no means of breaking through.
I dropped down about 4 feet to come up underneath it, and found a mule shoe carved into the rock. Manual had the torn shoe on his belt so I asked him for it, and layed it down on top of the carving, well it fit to a tee pointing directly to the opening we had made.

After this we left for home, and returned a week later with, what we thought would get in. But to no avail we were stoped. Well with nothing to do & time runing short, I decided to find that Cactus Marker. We went down to a fellow named Al Morrow who has been in there 12 years, digging in a hole, so I asked him. He was real nice & took me to where it used to be, it had been destroyed & in it's place was a rock with carved out circle & 4 lines. Well I layed my compass down and checked the alignment, it was perfect. The west line ran right through where we were working, so I knew that my figures were correct.
Now were going again but with dynamite & drills to pop it open.
Joe we checked the dirt away from the spot, along with the rocks & could get no reading, then we walked up to the spot & the needle went completely off scale on the low intensity scale.
Fisher Laboratories from Palo Alto checked everything we did & how we used the equipment, his finding's were that there was something very big underneath aprox. 6 feet down the size of a car body!!!!
So there you have it.
I checked my compass near the point in question to find if it was iron or possibly a meteorite. These would effect my compass.
Manual says he found it!
Well, I don't know. Maybe he did, but I do know he would never have known where to start or that it even existed. He says it isn't rough & he could find his way from any direction with no provlems. !Quen Sabe!

Well Joe it's time for me to go, so I will close wishing you the best."

That's pretty close to what he wrote with only a few lines missing, which have no bearing on the content.

That was Chuck's first meeting with Al Morrow, and they became close friends. Al told Chuck "never go into my claim when it's raining, it's to dangerous". Makes you wonder why Al was in there. Quien Sabe?

Even though I have Chucks drawing of how he figured out where he wanted to go from the Cactus Marker, I could never explain it to anyone. My uncle dropped out of grade school and went to work. Later on in his life, he got interested in math and self taught himself out of books. He was very good at it........all the way to advance trigonometry. Chuck was not your usual drop-out.

Hope you found the letter interesting.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread