Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
>>>>>>>>>Yes even the Great Ryan got whooped by GE

Wrmickel1 <<<<<<<<<<

Care to expand on this? I'm interested in that Ryan's modern tool kit doesn't run to Google Earth. He uses a different map set as his "go to" aid. I, on the other hand, do use GE as my go to reference. Just interested in what you are referring to.

His story about his hike to the bat cave, Said it looked like a nice hike till he got in there and found out the hard way. So carry more then you need cause you might need more.

Wrmickel1

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I recall, perhaps from posts he made at the time, Ryan planned his hike with the aid of GE. But in doing so, he didn't realize how rugged and physically exhausting the terrain down that canyon can be. Once at the bottom end of the canyon, he realized he didn't have the poop left to return the way he had come, so decided to hail/swim out to a passing boat on the river instead. Ergo.....trip planning via GE can get you "whooped".
I've done that hike and a couple of variations several times myself, in temps from 50 F up to 110 F. Even once via the upper trail along BCB all the way to the river and back. That time I got "whooped" when, with GE printouts in hand, I thought I'd take a shortcut on the way back, by following a wash down to the canyon....about 3/4 of a mile. It was steeper than I thought....no problem....but ended at a 100' + waterfall, and I only had 50' of rope. With the hike/climb back up, it was getting pretty dark by the time I got back to the car.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess its just semantics. I'll go along with whooped meaning challenged. I'd say that's very true. As I recall he made the climb to the Bat Cave from both directions. One an easier go than the other. Both challenging.

If I go out and make my way through the swamp avoiding cotton mouths, sink holes, and get water in my knee boots but make it there and back with footage am I whooped? Whooped as in tired and pooped, oh yeah. Whooped as in defeated, nah, don't think so.

Only a complete fool would take on any challenging environment without being as prepared as possible.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Linda:
Your unwavering defense of Ryan's claims and actions is admirable....to a point. But frankly, although I enjoy the discourse between all of us, none of us are infallible.
Perhaps you should read Ryan's account on the other site, which the mods will not allow to be named on this site ( works both ways I guess )
.....google " the peralta stones/search-for-truth "
Maybe you have another story(s) that you are going by, than I what I recall.....and his article attests to..... but we have seen how often the statements of "truth" have changed, and I expect will continue to change as this saga moves forward.

Last edited:

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In furtherance of my new leaf of speaking clearly..........Wayne, I see your point of view. Its unfortunate that you feel that way. From day one, all were advised that discovery was ongoing and what we knew, or thought we knew, was subject to change as the facts lead. And a merry chase it has been and continues to be. Some theory lives, some falls by the way side.

There is much afoot in AJ land and it has absolutely nothing to do with getting to the truth. Nor with providing insight or different perspectives. Some here, and those that influence those here, have no interest whatsoever in the truth of anything. The truth to them is an impediment to profit or personal ego. It has to do with protecting turf, profit, and/or a sense of entitlement. Some exercise it with a sharp lying tongue and some few by, shall we say...... more threatening ways. Its amazing to me the efforts that are being used to avoid new perspectives. I shouldn't be shocked, but I am. We aren't talking war or peace, we are talking about history, legends, and the people who were important players in that history and subsequent legend.

The truth is out there. Always was. One only had to go after it. Only problem is, that truth upsets a lot of apple carts. That's unfortunate.

Wayne, you are not the troublemaker here. But; I fear you may have been influenced by those that have that motivation. I hope not. And; I hope that you will be as excited as I am to explore all there is to explore. I will be the first to admit that some of the things I thought were rock solid turned out to be dust in the wind. Its definitely a new chapter and well worth the effort. Peace brother. Believe it or not, I think we are on the same page.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
In furtherance of my new leaf of speaking clearly..........Wayne, I see your point of view. Its unfortunate that you feel that way. From day one, all were advised that discovery was ongoing and what we knew, or thought we knew, was subject to change as the facts lead. And a merry chase it has been and continues to be. Some theory lives, some falls by the way side.

There is much afoot in AJ land and it has absolutely nothing to do with getting to the truth. Nor with providing insight or different perspectives. Some here, and those that influence those here, have no interest whatsoever in the truth of anything. The truth to them is an impediment to profit or personal ego. It has to do with protecting turf, profit, and/or a sense of entitlement. Some exercise it with a sharp lying tongue and some few by, shall we say...... more threatening ways. Its amazing to me the efforts that are being used to avoid new perspectives. I shouldn't be shocked, but I am. We aren't talking war or peace, we are talking about history, legends, and the people who were important players in that history and subsequent legend.

The truth is out there. Always was. One only had to go after it. Only problem is, that truth upsets a lot of apple carts. That's unfortunate.

Wayne, you are not the troublemaker here. But; I fear you may have been influenced by those that have that motivation. I hope not. And; I hope that you will be as excited as I am to explore all there is to explore. I will be the first to admit that some of the things I thought were rock solid turned out to be dust in the wind. Its definitely a new chapter and well worth the effort. Peace brother. Believe it or not, I think we are on the same page.

nothing wrong with sticking up for your pal's...it's an admirable quality seldom seen nowadays

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Linda:
Your unwavering defense of Ryan's claims and actions is admirable....to a point. But frankly, although I enjoy the discourse between all of us, none of us are infallible.
Perhaps you should read Ryan's account on the other site, which the mods will not allow to be named on this site ( works both ways I guess )
.....google " the peralta stones/search-for-truth "
Maybe you have another story(s) that you are going by, than I what I recall.....and his article attests to..... but we have seen how often the statements of "truth" have changed, and I expect will continue to change as this saga moves forward.

Truth has always been a marketable commodity and it varies with the motivations of its revealers. Been that way forever. We in the human race at large are in no position to verify any of it and are forced to accept the flavor provided by whichever guru we most identify with. If we like Ryan's story, we'll buy it. If not, we'll call it fake news.

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth stands on it's own, regardless of who agrees.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
oh yeah. Whooped as in defeated, nah, don't think so.

Only a complete fool would take on any challenging environment without being as prepared as possible.[/QUOTE]

And that's what Ryan did by self admission. It's not to hard to understand what he wrote, I've been a writer for 45 years. He came he got whooped he learned.

Lived to write about it that's what makes stories great.

Wrmickel1

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Old

I'll keep my eye out for this trouble maker. Must be some kind of lunatic, self absorbed with a heighten since of importance. If I gotta tear TN a new hole to find this joker I'll do it.

Wayne R. Mickelson

Just to be clear you did say Wayne is not the trouble maker here.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
oh yeah. Whooped as in defeated, nah, don't think so.

Only a complete fool would take on any challenging environment without being as prepared as possible.

And that's what Ryan did by self admission. It's not to hard to understand what he wrote, I've been a writer for 45 years. He came he got whooped he learned.

Lived to write about it that's what makes stories great.

Wrmickel1[/QUOTE]

Wrm.,

Have you written anything we can read?

Thanks,

Joe

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I write songs about 350 in my catalog,
My mom wrote a book called lonely Road to Hell. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483158366.625760.jpg

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
I also have a old pictures of my dads, He took pictures of interesting things. And traded some for others, I think what ever he traded for this one was a good trade, but I should ask Injunbro.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483158689.698545.jpg

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah, I remember seeing those down below as I drove from Canyon to Roosevelt Lake back in the mid to late 60's. Dirt road then, some of it was washboard and even doing 20-25 was a little exciting. ;)
1 &1/2 to 2 cars wide at the good spots.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's a good tool for finding trails, old two-tracks, wall outlines (ruins), possible disturbed ground and the like if the photos are high enough resolution. Choosing different photo dates helps verify results in some cases, although the older ones usually aren't as pixel rich. Except in a general sense, it's no better than quad sheets for determining the lay of the land. On the actual ground, all bets are off until you're standing on it.

Amen, Like was not strong enough for the areas that I was interested in. Even now I have not had a good view of the area I wanted to get to with GE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread