New to the forum

Big Dan

Dec 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this forum, but really want some advice from someone who has had boots on the ground. The clues keep taking me to this spot.
mine.png

OP
OP
B

Big Dan

Dec 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, nobody would think to look there. It might have been a little tougher in 1875.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hey, nobody would think to look there. It might have been a little tougher in 1875.

i dont think you will be able to sucker anyone into going down there to have a look for you...go have a look for yourself and you'll see why

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I am new to this forum, but really want some advice from someone who has had boots on the ground. The clues keep taking me to this spot.
View attachment 1395846

Hi Dan,

That place you marked with an arrow is at the bottom of Fish Creek Hill- a harrowing hair-raising drive to get there, and a drop of 1500'. Here are some "boots on the ground" pictures- no treasure to be found there, but it is a popular stopping place for tourists who make it down. The cave at bottom right in the picture is rumored to have been one of Geronimo's hideouts.
FCH.JPG FCH2.JPG

OP
OP
B

Big Dan

Dec 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. The arrow and line following the creek are actually a tracing I made from the stones. My area of interest is at the end of that white line I drew on the map further up the creek.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info. The arrow and line following the creek are actually a tracing I made from the stones. My area of interest is at the end of that white line I drew on the map further up the creek.

By stones, did you mean the Stone Maps?

That would be the Horse Mesa side of Fish Creek Canyon. Be very careful if you do go hiking there- it's a pretty steep drop to the canyon bottom. Pretty inhospitable territory as Dave said. Best way to explore Fish Creek is to start at the Apache Trail road bridge and work the tiny trail on the south side. It's not an easy hike by any means.

OP
OP
B

Big Dan

Dec 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I was referring to the stone maps. That area seems to fit closely. Hiking that area is out of the question for me, as I live in Mississippi. Thanks.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I was referring to the stone maps. That area seems to fit closely. Hiking that area is out of the question for me, as I live in Mississippi. Thanks.

No problem. And just so you know, using google maps to search for treasure has gotten plenty of people in trouble. It can be very deceptive- looks easy from above, but from the ground.. it's usually a completely different story, especially if you're trying to hike off-trail.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
No problem. And just so you know, using google maps to search for treasure has gotten plenty of people in trouble. It can be very deceptive- looks easy from above, but from the ground.. it's usually a completely different story, especially if you're trying to hike off-trail.

Yes even the Great Ryan got whooped by GE[emoji41]

Wrmickel1

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with you guys on the problems using Google Earth perspectives.
But at this particular spot, you can use the GE 'Street View' (actual photos) for a good feel of that portion along Apache Trail.

Welcome to TN Big Dan.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was young, my family regularly camped at apache lake. My dad would drive our camper inches from the edge to scare us. As a child it was fairly traumatic seeing all the automobiles smashed up at the bace of those cliffs. Beautiful hike though.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Excuse me gang - I noticed Big Dan is a new member. So, Welcome Aboard Big Dan! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Mississippi for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state. OK - now back to the question! :laughing7:

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>>>>>>>>>Yes even the Great Ryan got whooped by GE

Wrmickel1 <<<<<<<<<<

Care to expand on this? I'm interested in that Ryan's modern tool kit doesn't run to Google Earth. He uses a different map set as his "go to" aid. I, on the other hand, do use GE as my go to reference. Just interested in what you are referring to.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Linda:
Could be he's thinking of something different, but I'd bet mick is referring to RG's only real pre-drone hiking attempt.....aka the 2 1/2 mile one-way hike he did to the Bat Cave area.
You might be able to find his video on YouTube.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

It's a good tool for finding trails, old two-tracks, wall outlines (ruins), possible disturbed ground and the like if the photos are high enough resolution. Choosing different photo dates helps verify results in some cases, although the older ones usually aren't as pixel rich. Except in a general sense, it's no better than quad sheets for determining the lay of the land. On the actual ground, all bets are off until you're standing on it.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Dan:

Well, it would have been a little tougher to get to your starting point back in 1875, especially with a few hostiles hanging around out there, but it's easy to get to now.
Since 1905, folks have been able to get there by horse and wagon or car, and on many days hundreds will kick up dust clouds as they drive along the lower section of your SM trail.
Many others will park along side that section of the road, as they enjoy the cooler temps down at the bottom on hot days. I've added a few labels to your GE view, based on the practical observation and knowledge that many of us share. It's a pretty famous and heavily trod place. The creek at that point usually has flowing water in it, and two deep depressions (aka tanks) on the east side of the bridge and below the cave are frequently used as a swimming hole by visitors.
If you were to visit yourself, you would be able to leave your car at the parking area shown about half-way along your SM trail. From there, it's only about 1/2 mile or so down the creek to where you would have to begin the short climb up the wash to where your trail ends. From that point you would be able to wave to anyone watching you from the popular observation point up above.
I'm assuming the " Heart " I've marked, is the basis for your conclusion.....

Fish Creek and Overlook.jpg

Regards:SH.

links to more....http://apachetrailarizona.com/apache-trail-history.html
https://books.google.ca/books?id=11...epage&q=fish creek lodge/apache trail&f=false .....old photos of the Apache Trail and Fish Creek Station/Lodge.

edit.....corrected location of Fish Creek Lodge

Fish Creek and Overlook.jpg

Last edited:

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Somehiker, It had been a long time since I first viewed Ryan's Journey to the Bat Cave. Man, that seems like forever ago.

Its good footage for anyone who wants a glance at the territory. Its beautiful but treacherous.

But; I fail to see where Ryan "got whooped by GE". I don't see where he got whooped at all. I know he uses a different map set as his "go to" but will often refer to GE for the general user (me included).

If anything his video re-enforces the general reader's need to use caution on any hike and particularly an off trail hike. Where's the problem? Other than to those who want to believe in the fake drama portrayed in some (???) venues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread