The loud booms

TEGlover

Jan 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

reale bill

Feb 8, 2007
it happens a lot off the Md./ Va. coast. Jets from Patuxent Naval Air Station flying out over the ocean breaking the sound barrier. are there any military air bases near where you are ?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sonic boom, rec. shooters using tannerite, etc.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard the "Thunder God"? three times while hiking out there. But not for a few years now.
Each time it was clear and hot.....a deep and very loud boom, followed by a period of echoes which sounded something like a long train crossing an iron bridge.
Another time, while hiking back to my car from Tortilla Ranch, I heard several similar-sounding booms. I had just started the drive back to town when I heard it again, but just down the road, and on a rise across from the corral/loading ramp was a group of shooters. One had a Barrett .50 set up on a table and let off a couple of rounds while I watched. Definitely what I had been hearing an hour or so earlier, but not as deep sounding or quite as loud as those I had heard on the other occasions....( lower frequency ?)....which were singular events.
As far as I know, the "booms" pre-date supersonic jets. Is that true Thomas ?

Regards:SH.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it happens a lot off the Md./ Va. coast. Jets from Patuxent Naval Air Station flying out over the ocean breaking the sound barrier. are there any military air bases near where you are ?

Most of the Superstition Wilderness lies within a Military Operations Area...... shown as "OUTLAW MOA" on the aviation charts.
But too close to a major population center for supersonic flight maneuvers to be authorized nowadays.

Regards:SH.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was up there and heard some good booms, later ran into a guy that had been shooting his Black Powder Sharp's 50. Williams AFB is also close by Chandler.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if those loud booms are the results of fault slips deep underneath the Supes.

The below quote concerned a similar incident in Texas but could probably apply to this phenomenon in the Supes.

"They're actually hearing the wave that traveled through the rock all the way to the Earth's surface," says William Ellsworth, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey. "When a fault slips suddenly underground, it radiates two different kinds of seismic waves."

One is a P wave, an acoustic wave that you can actually hear. The other is an S wave.
"It's the wave that carries most of the energy, and it's the one that we typically feel," Ellsworth says.

Last edited:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I wonder if those loud booms are the results of fault slips deep underneath the Supes.

The below quote concerned a similar incident in Texas but could probably apply to this phenomenon in the Supes.
If you can hear the slippage, you will also notice the shaking. IMO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread