The mysterious death of Adolph Ruth - Page 11
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree2235Likes

Thread: The mysterious death of Adolph Ruth

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2014
    3875 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azdave35 View Post
    according to this the morris filling station was located at florence junction...has anyone done research to find out where his filling station really was?,,,he might have had more than one station?
    Could the one at Florence Junction be this one?

Photograph of an automobile gas station in Florence Junction, Pinal County (Ariz.) :: Arizona State Archives Historic Photographs
    cw0909, larrywv and txtea like this.

us
    Dec 2008
    7279 times
    deducer...i have seen that pic before but i could not make out what it said on the sign....maybe someone has a good photoshop program and can use it to make out what it says...i'm pretty sure there has always been a gas station at florence junction....i just never knew the history of ownership...matter of fact there was still a gas station there up until they changed the course of the highway and bypassed the station a few years back
    Azquester likes this.

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    2274 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    deducer...i have seen that pic before but i could not make out what it said on the sign....maybe someone has a good photoshop program and can use it to make out what it says...i'm pretty sure there has always been a gas station at florence junction....i just never knew the history of ownership...matter of fact there was still a gas station there up until they changed the course of the highway and bypassed the station a few years back
    The round sign to the right of the service station says "Red Crown Gasoline" The main sign on the front of the building says "Sunkist Service Station" - there is also something above where the car is parked to the right but I can't make out what that says
    Last edited by Cubfan64; Jun 07, 2017 at 09:22 PM.
    cw0909, cactusjumper and EarnieP like this.
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

Dec 2006
    2580 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan64 View Post
    The round sign to the right of the service station says "Red Crown Gasoline"
    i think so too
    https://www.google.com/search?q=vint...iw=911&bih=452
    cactusjumper likes this.

Dec 2006
    2580 times
    or maybe this one,has a post office
    https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/...l-Bknd-40s.jpg
    cactusjumper and somehiker like this.

us
    Dec 2008
    7279 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cw0909 View Post
    there are still a couple houses at florence junction and people still living there..too bad its private property..it would be a great place to metal detect...
    cactusjumper and davin like this.

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5368 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan64 View Post
    The round sign to the right of the service station says "Red Crown Gasoline" The main sign on the front of the building says "Sunkist Service Station" - there is also something above where the car is parked to the right but I can't make out what that says
    Paul,

Good job. At first I thought it said SUNWEST, but I think Sunkist is more likely.

Hope all is well.

Take care,

Joe
    " Hell, I was there!" Elmer Keith
    "There is an ancient proverb that says a man can never forgive you for a wrong he has done you." From a wise friend.

us
    Dec 2008
    7279 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusjumper View Post
    Paul,

Good job. At first I thought it said SUNWEST, but I think Sunkist is more likely.

Hope all is well.

Take care,

Joe
    this is writing on the building and all i can read is service station,,,,the name of the station is there but i cant read it

ca
    May 2007
    5742 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cw0909 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Florence Junction 3.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	1460025

That one is probably the best shot, and someone should be able to take a run out there for a new photo from the same spot, with the same background/skyline.
    Any takers ?
    Otherwise, I'll do it next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Regards:SH.
    Last edited by somehiker; Jun 07, 2017 at 10:59 PM.
    deducer, txtea and HappyTrails55 like this.
    Hell,you ain't never too old to look!

us
    Dec 2008
    7279 times
    Quote Originally Posted by somehiker View Post
    That one is probably the best shot, and someone should be able to take a run out there for a new photo from the same spot, with the same background/skyline.
    Any takers ?
    Otherwise, I'll do it next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Regards:SH.
    that shot was taken from the west as your coming into florence junction..you can see mineral mountain just to the left of the texaco sign

ca
    May 2007
    5742 times
    that shot was taken from the west as your coming into florence junction..you can see mineral mountain just to the left of the texaco sign
    Yah....I was thinking from somewhere close to where I have the yellow dot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FJ 5.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	1460066
    Hell,you ain't never too old to look!

Jan 2014
    3875 times
    A question:

We have a Cal Morse and a Cal Morris. I assume both of those names refer to the same person? What's the correct spelling?

I have seen newspapers mention of Cal Morse, and the name Morse is used frequently on the other site, but no mention of Morris.
    Matthew Roberts likes this.

us
    Dec 2008
    7279 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deducer View Post
    A question:

We have a Cal Morse and a Cal Morris. I assume both of those names refer to the same person? What's the correct spelling?

I have seen newspapers mention of Cal Morse, and the name Morse is used frequently on the other site, but no mention of Morris.
    i noticed that too....morris is the name of one of the mormon pioneers that started mesa...there is a street named after him in downtown mesa...
    deducer likes this.

Jan 2014
    3875 times
    1931 June 26, Friday Morning, Arizona Republic – Page 1 and Page 8

Ruth’s wife wired to Morse yesterday an offer of $100 reward to anyone rescuing Ruth or
    bringing his body out of the mountains. Ruth had been receiving his mail through Morse

I think this establishes that Adolph Ruth was staying at the Morse ranch. If Ruth was staying at the Barkley ranch, he would have had mail delivered there, I'd think?

us
    Apr 2013
    Huntington Beach California
    3744 times
    TEGlover

Jim Bark on Adolph Ruth

Gentlemen,

As there has been some discussion as to just where Adolph Ruth stayed I thought the below might be of intrest.

I came across the six page document that Jim Bark wrote in 1931 about what he had discovered about Adolph Ruth from a trip(s) to Arizona. The start of the letter is below. I have posted it as it has new tid-bit or two, and it sheds light on just where Ruth was headed, and where it seems he stayed.

"Oct. 1931

This is the story of Ruth as far as I have dug the facts to date.

Ruth came to the Half Circle-U ranch situated on the south side of the Superstition Mts. in Pinal County, Arizona. On may 10th 1931. A man by the name of Mc Knight had driven the car with he and Ruth in it from Washington D. C. to the Cal Morris filling station at the junction of the Florence and Superior highways, about twenty miles south of the U Ranch. McKnight said that he could not go any further, as he did not know where the Superstition Mountains were. Much less where there was any camping place, or any roads leading from the main highway . Morris said he knew where the U ranch house was, and he thought Ruth could camp there. As all trails leading over into the Superstitions Mts. started from the Ranch. Ruth asked Morris if he would drive him to the house. Morris said he would and McKnight continued on his way to the state of Washington wither he was bound. It appeared that while Ruth owned the car, he could not drive it. ...."

TE Glover

The above is a perfect example of why the Adolph Ruth mystery is so confusing. While Jim Bark was surely a respected citizen of his day and TE Glover is considered by most to be an able researcher, sadly, the entire quote by Bark is untrue, based on rumors and hearsay and easily fact checked. That TE Glover did not look into the matter any deeper than the letter itself just compounds the rumors, misinformation and confusion.

First of all, the Ranch was well known in 1931 as the Quarter Circle U.

Jim Bark stated “all trails leading into the Superstition Mts. started from that ranch.”
    Not so, several other trails were available by way of First water, Tortilla and another route east of the QCU Ranch.

Bark states Ruth stopped at Cal Morris service Station. That is not true, The Arizona Republic Newspaper clearly reported it was Cal Morse service station. There is no confusion over this issue, no confusion over the name of the man, or who the AZ. Rep was talking about.

There never was a Cal Morris service station in Florence Jct. or Mesa. In fact there was no Cal Morris. There was a man who was known as Calvin Morris Phelps but he died in 1928, 3 years before Ruth arrived.

Finally, and incredibly the most glaring example of someone who got something completely wrong and repeated the false information is Jim Bark stating the name of the man who drove Ruth from Washington D.C. was “McKnight.”

Anyone who knew the Barkley family, or knew anything about the Barkley family knew exactly who “McKnight” was, and it wasn’t the alleged man who drove Adolph Ruth to Arizona.

“McKnight” was Wil McKnight, a close relative of Tex Barkley who was living in Mesa at that time in 1931. Tex Barkley’s mother was Betty McKnight-Barkley.

Tex’s mother, Betty (McKnight) Barkley was living in Mesa with other members of her “McKnight” family in 1931. Wil McKnight had worked for Tex Barkley on and off since coming to Arizona from Tennessee. He was known throughout Mesa and the Quarter Circle U Ranch. Brownie Holmes mentioned him on a tape recording once. How McKnight became the man who drove Ruth to Arizona, or how that false rumor began, is anyone's guess.

Betty McKnight-Barkley (Tex’s mother) died in the hospital in Glendale Arizona in 1945 and is buried in the Glendale City Cemetery. Below is a photograph of Betty (McKnight) and William T. Barkley, Tex’s parents. Also a photo of Betty’s grave in the Glendale, Arizona Cemetery.

Name:  Tex Barkley's mother Betty McKnight.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  14.3 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Betty McKnight-Barkley.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	1460669

The confusion over the mystery of Adolph Ruth’s death will never stop as long as the rumors and false information of the past continue to be spread.

Matthew

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links