OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64's recounting of his experience in late October just tends to drive home the point that a man in 100 degree heat in the middle of June needs to be in top physical condition to be able to hike, climb and navigate the obstacles of the Superstition Mountains in order to stay alive.

Adolph Ruth was not an invalid but he was 76 years old with one leg that gave him trouble. He was not a physically fit man by any definition. The limits he could reasonably hike from his camp at Willow spring would have been 1 mile at best. Ruth's skull and remains were found just over 6 miles from his camp at Willow Spring and those were 6 long hard miles over very demanding terrain.

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to conclude that Adolph Ruth didn't get to where his skull and remains were found, 6 miles away under his own power. He had to have had help.

That leads to the next obvious questions which are who helped him and why ? And where else did they help him go ?

There is overwhelming evidence Adolph Ruth met his end on the north west end of Peters Mesa. If indeed this is true he would have been a full 10 miles from his camp at Willow Spring.

One thing that always struck me as strange is that Weavers Needle (a tall pinnacle) was so important to Ruth's view of finding the mine. Yet from his camp at Willow Spring he could not even see Weaver's Needle or any other Pinnacle for that matter. But from where he is said to have been killed on Peters Mesa he had a magnificent view of Weavers Needle, and also Miners Needle to the South so prominent you can see the hole in it.

After many years of thinking the Ruth mystery over and over in my head I came to believe (my personal opinion) that Ruth's camp in Willow Spring was a camp of convenience. Close to water even in the summer, and close enough to First Water Ranch that he could receive supplies within a few hours. But his real objective was many miles away, and he knew he had help to allow him to come and go from that objective quietly and in secret. That secret became his demise and what followed was the attempt of some to cover up Ruth's real intentions, what he was really doing in the mountains and what eventually happened to him.

Matthew

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Cubfan64's recounting of his experience in late October just tends to drive home the point that a man in 100 degree heat in the middle of June needs to be in top physical condition to be able to hike, climb and navigate the obstacles of the Superstition Mountains in order to stay alive.

Adolph Ruth was not an invalid but he was 76 years old with one leg that gave him trouble. He was not a physically fit man by any definition. The limits he could reasonably hike from his camp at Willow spring would have been 1 mile at best. Ruth's skull and remains were found just over 6 miles from his camp at Willow Spring and those were 6 long hard miles over very demanding terrain.

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to conclude that Adolph Ruth didn't get to where his skull and remains were found, 6 miles away under his own power. He had to have had help.

That leads to the next obvious questions which are who helped him and why ? And where else did they help him go ?

There is overwhelming evidence Adolph Ruth met his end on the north west end of Peters Mesa. If indeed this is true he would have been a full 10 miles from his camp at Willow Spring.

One thing that always struck me as strange is that Weavers Needle (a tall pinnacle) was so important to Ruth's view of finding the mine. Yet from his camp at Willow Spring he could not even see Weaver's Needle or any other Pinnacle for that matter. But from where he is said to have been killed on Peters Mesa he had a magnificent view of Weavers Needle, and also Miners Needle to the South so prominent you can see the hole in it.

After many years of thinking the Ruth mystery over and over in my head I came to believe (my personal opinion) that Ruth's camp in Willow Spring was a camp of convenience. Close to water even in the summer, and close enough to First Water Ranch that he could receive supplies within a few hours. But his real objective was many miles away, and he knew he had help to allow him to come and go from that objective quietly and in secret. That secret became his demise and what followed was the attempt of some to cover up Ruth's real intentions, what he was really doing in the mountains and what eventually happened to him.

Matthew

Matthew,

Your qualified opinion is certainly better than most. What do you consider to be the best evidence that "Adolph Ruth met his end on the north west end of Peters Mesa." I still think Sims Ely's written statement is where Ruth was really killed. A place he was more than capable of reaching. Gene Reynolds told me that this is the view that Adolph Ruth was looking for:

This area matches Ely's description of where Ruth's body was found.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusjumper,

In my opinion, I believe Adolph Ruth met his demise on the north west end of Peters Mesa because of what Walter Gassler wrote in his memoirs, the part about Tex Barkley and Jeff Adams finding Ruth there, taking a map from him and following it to a cave designated on that map. Also because of things Walter told me and when he showed me the rock Tex told him Ruth had been sitting on when he was killed. I just can't bring myself to believe Walter made any of that up or that Tex Barkley would have tried to mislead him.

Also, and this is very critical for me, Jeff Adams made a public statement on July 16, 1931 that was printed in local papers where he and Tex Barkley and three friends found one of Ruth's maps and followed it to a cave on Peters Mesa for two days under hard labor in the roughest country he ever saw.

Six months later in January 1931, Adams told this exact same story about finding Ruth's map, following it to a cave on Peters mesa for two days under hard labor in the roughest country he ever saw. The difference between the two stories is the earlier story just described finding one of Ruth's maps and following it. The second story was told after Ruth's remains were discovered and Adams told the story in the context he and Barkley found the map in Ruth's remains and followed it.

Do you realize the implications of these two stories told at different times and changed only by the second story finally admitted the map was found on Ruth's body ?

Think about that for a minute, on July 16, 1931 when Adams first told the story, Ruth's remains would not be "officially" found for another 6 months. The only conclusion anyone can come to from this is that Adams and Barkley found Ruth's remains on July 16, 1931, not 6 months later on January 8, 1932 as everyone was led to believe.

This is not just my conclusion, it was the same conclusion the Maricopa County Sheriff's investigator noted concerning Adams two stories in the Adolph Ruth missing persons file.

Matthew

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
cactusjumper,

In my opinion, I believe Adolph Ruth met his demise on the north west end of Peters Mesa because of what Walter Gassler wrote in his memoirs, the part about Tex Barkley and Jeff Adams finding Ruth there, taking a map from him and following it to a cave designated on that map. Also because of things Walter told me and when he showed me the rock Tex told him Ruth had been sitting on when he was killed. I just can't bring myself to believe Walter made any of that up or that Tex Barkley would have tried to mislead him.

Also, and this is very critical for me, Jeff Adams made a public statement on July 16, 1931 that was printed in local papers where he and Tex Barkley and three friends found one of Ruth's maps and followed it to a cave on Peters Mesa for two days under hard labor in the roughest country he ever saw.

Six months later in January 1931, Adams told this exact same story about finding Ruth's map, following it to a cave on Peters mesa for two days under hard labor in the roughest country he ever saw. The difference between the two stories is the earlier story just described finding one of Ruth's maps and following it. The second story was told after Ruth's remains were discovered and Adams told the story in the context he and Barkley found the map in Ruth's remains and followed it.

Do you realize the implications of these two stories told at different times and changed only by the second story finally admitted the map was found on Ruth's body ?

Think about that for a minute, on July 16, 1931 when Adams first told the story, Ruth's remains would not be "officially" found for another 6 months. The only conclusion anyone can come to from this is that Adams and Barkley found Ruth's remains on July 16, 1931, not 6 months later on January 8, 1932 as everyone was led to believe.

This is not just my conclusion, it was the same conclusion the Maricopa County Sheriff's investigator noted concerning Adams two stories in the Adolph Ruth missing persons file.

Matthew

Matthew,

I personally believe that Tex did not "find" Ruth's body. I believe he was shown where Ruth's body was located and then moved it. Some things were stated after the fact that point to someone else initially finding the body. If true, it's a better explanation for Tex's actions and the cover up story and many of the lies that were told.

Good post,

Joe

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew,
Some distance from intended operations.

Attachments

• IMG_20170628_130944.jpg
    IMG_20170628_130944.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 249

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Cubfan64 did you get the feeling of be followed in 2008
or is that you, taking a remote controlled camera selfie
4th img in post #335

info on img
Screenshot 2017-06-28 at 4.52.24 PM.png

enlarged,contrast adj.
Screenshot 2017-06-28 at 4.48.47 PM.png

cropped b/w
Screenshot 2017-06-28 at 4.46.47 PM.png

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Between forty and fifty years ago, my Uncle Chuck, Brother Phil, myself and dog Juno camped in this site at Willow Spring.

It was shady, and water was just a few steps away. While Chuck set up our tent and built a fire ring, Phil, Juno and I climbed to the top of the ridge. We were caught after dark coming straight down above Willow Spring, guided by the fire Chuck had built. There are a number of spots around the spring where you could set up a tent and make a comfortable camp.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

starman 1

Jun 3, 2010
Ruth/Gassler

Hello Mr. Roberts

If Ruth`s remains were found 6 months before the official fake news report then several possibilities open up.

1. Things were in fact removed from the Superstitions by individuals, both locals and others. The 6 months would allow for all of the details to be taken care of in a secure setting. The issue of what was moved, where, and how is well another story. This would tie Ruth`s murder, and the other gentleman who belly flopped on a dark road in the middle of the night. It would also give credence to the notion that what was important was the early part of this mystery and the rest is just footnotes. Perhaps certain folks did not get paid because they became greedy.

2. Things were not found and the six months were used to search the range until it became clear there was no point in further exploration.

I would vote for option one and take into account the comment made by Tex to Walter regarding proving something was out there but because of Brownie`s appearance backed off of showing it. Perhaps a deeper understanding can also be garnered by understanding why Walter came to the
Superstitions after all of this happened and what was Walter focused on during his time in the south.

Thanks for posting and needless to say you have opened some gates for those willing to walk through.

Have a good day.

Starman

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mr. Roberts

If Ruth`s remains were found 6 months before the official fake news report then several possibilities open up.

1. Things were in fact removed from the Superstitions by individuals, both locals and others. The 6 months would allow for all of the details to be taken care of in a secure setting. The issue of what was moved, where, and how is well another story. This would tie Ruth`s murder, and the other gentleman who belly flopped on a dark road in the middle of the night. It would also give credence to the notion that what was important was the early part of this mystery and the rest is just footnotes. Perhaps certain folks did not get paid because they became greedy.

2. Things were not found and the six months were used to search the range until it became clear there was no point in further exploration.

I would vote for option one and take into account the comment made by Tex to Walter regarding proving something was out there but because of Brownie`s appearance backed off of showing it. Perhaps a deeper understanding can also be garnered by understanding why Walter came to the
Superstitions after all of this happened and what was Walter focused on during his time in the south.

Thanks for posting and needless to say you have opened some gates for those willing to walk through.

Have a good day.

Starman

Starman1,

Again you raise some questions that cannot be overlooked.

Jeff Adams did not know that his July 16, 1931 description of finding one of Ruth's maps, following it to a cave over two days of hard labor in the roughest country he ever saw, was picked up by a reporter and published on that July 16 date.
Later, on January 8, 1932 when Adolph Ruth's remains were "officially" found by Adams and Barkley, Adams told the exact same story, only this time he added the fact that the map had been found on Ruth's remains (allegedly) on January 8, 1932.

Incredibly this accounting was picked up by reporters and it didn't take Sheriff's investigators long to put two and two together and realize if Adams and Barkley had the map on July 16, 1931 they had gotten it off Ruth's remains on July 16th, not January 8, 1932. This is when as the old saying goes,...... "things really hit the fan."

Added to this was the unexplained death of Charles Knickerbocker who on that same July was to meet with Erwin Ruth and tell him where his father was looking for the Lost Dutchman mine in the Superstition Mountains. But the night before that meeting was to take place, Knickerbocker was found dead along a dark road near Claypool, Arizona.

This was too much for Sheriff's investigators and was the beginning of withholding and outright falsification of information going out to the press.

Everyone must first realize that Jeff Adams was NOT a Maricopa County Sheriff's Deputy. He had been brought out of retirement by Sheriff MacFadden because of his extensive knowledge of the Superstition Mountains and was put in charge of the search for Ruth in the Superstitions. Adams however was given no authority as a Maracopa County Deputy. His actions however reflected mightily on the Sheriff's Department and this is why the misinformation, deception and false stories began. Things seemed to grow and get out of hand from that point like a rock slide in the Superstitions.

Starman, I think you know Ruth was involved in something much bigger than the Lost Dutchman gold mine.

Matthew

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew,
Some distance from intended operations.
IMG_20170628_130944.jpg

nobodie,

Yes, you are absolutely correct, Adolph Ruth's intended operation was some distance from his camp in West Boulder Canyon.

Erwin Ruth's manuscript is exhibit A in the mystery that surrounds the death of his father.
What Erwin writes and what actually occurred are in direct contradiction to each other.
Erwin states Purnell and Keenan took his father in to West Boulder and left him there, making excuses as to why they had to get back to the ranch. Adolph Ruth had expected them to stay and help him.
Then Erwin states Purnell and Keenan went back in 5 days later to check on the old man.
In fact it was only Keenan who went in and not 5 days but 11 days later. 11 days in 100 degree plus heat and an old man alone and unable to travel any distance from his camp.
What were Purnell and Keenan thinking ?

And what about Tex Barkley ?
He was supposed to have come back from selling cattle 3 days after Ruth was taken in and immediately went in to check on the old man. Barkley found him gone and came back out and contacted the Sheriff.

But the true facts are that 11 days later Keenan found Ruth gone, came back out and told Cal Morse who called Sheriff MacFadden and then traveled into Phoenix to confer with him.

Tex Barkley didn't even know Adolph Ruth had gone into the mountains until Sheriff MacFadden contacted him and told him that Ruth was missing.

The big question is why did everyone, including Ruth's son Erwin confuse the facts with misleading and deceptive narratives?

Matthew

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Would you like to expand on that? It is the first time I have heard this ... Thank you in advance

Per,

Hope all is well with you.

The Ruth's were interested in more minerals than most folks know. By one of those strange coincidences that pop up all the time, this is an outcropping that they had some interest in:

It was found directly below this:

It's in the middle of this brush triangle:

You have to get down on your hands and knees to get to the outcropping.

All just coincidence's I'm sure.:dontknow:

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you like to expand on that? It is the first time I have heard this ... Thank you in advance

Loke,

So much of the old accepted "story" of Adolph Ruth coming to Arizona to search for the Dutchman mine has been found to be just that, a whimsical "story." Barely a third of that story having any basis in what actually transpired.

This thread was started to allow individuals who might be interested in the Ruth mystery to think about the contradictions of that old "story."

All one needs to do is to read that old tried and true story that has been printed over and over again in numerous Dutchman books and articles and hold it up against the light of newspaper articles, photos, and personal accounts of the day. One quickly realizes that something is seriously wrong with that whimsical old "story."

Almost 95% of everything that has been posted here in the form of newspaper articles, personal accounts, photos, letters and radio transcriptions have been available to anyone from day one of the disappearance of Adolph Ruth. These things were not hidden away in some secret vault where no one could find them or get to them, they were right out in the open for everyone to see and compare to that old tried and true, "story."

Yet every Dutchman author that wrote a book or an article about Adolph Ruth's death, every one of those authors right down the line like good little robots wrote the exact same whimsical "story."

When you say, ... "this is the first time I've heard this." I have to say, that doesn't surprise me.

There are those (and there are many) who believe (in spite of the mountain of evidence to the contrary) that Adolph Ruth was just a lovable old man, somewhat gullible and disabled who bought a brand new car and came out west to hunt a gold mine with a map his son gave him and he had a little trouble in the mountains in the heat of summer and sadly passed away from heat stroke or maybe dehydration. (Beginning-Middle-End of story).

Those people are entitled to their opinion and I love them to death and would never try to change their mind or burst their bubble for them.

But for those who are truly interested, those who have seen some of those contradictions and have a gut feeling themselves that something just isn't right with the whole Ruth "story," this thread is here for them to look at those contradictions and be their own detective. No one here is trying to change anyone's mind, all this thread is here for is to allow truly interested individuals to look at those contradictions and make up their own minds what they believe happened. It's not a contest, there are no winners or losers here.

Adolph Ruth was part of a bigger adventure than just looking for the a lost gold mine. He was not acting alone. He was involved in an endeavor in the Superstition Mountains with Collins Morse and Charles Knickerbocker. That association by necessity became dependent on a few other individuals, LeRoy Purnell, Jack Keenan, George Bashford,…… men who did not share that association’s loyalty, morals or goals.

Matthew

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please continue, Matthew. I have no dog in this fight. As I said earlier, I don't go into the Supes, and I have only an intellectual interest in the LDM and all surrounding it. I am very interested in what you have to say. This has been a fascinating thread, and, reading between the lines of some of the posts, it seems that others have known (or suspected) that the "accepted" version of the events was not correct.....

JB

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon Matthew: By all means keep up the good work and keep the new information coming to light. This is a really good new slant on the story which is independent of the usual "yellow Journalism" newspaper reporting. I have a copy of one of the early article's from when the story first broke where the reporter states that Ruth was a relative of Babe Ruth. Those reporters were really grasping at straws. It's really nice to hear what the investigators had to say from their reports. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew Roberts wrote " Adolph Ruth was part of a bigger adventure than just looking for the a lost gold mine. "

IMO , this big adventure began when the King of Spain gave the land grant to the Peraltas . There was something that the King wanted and for this he hired the Peraltas who were skilled miners and prospectors . Why the Peraltas didn't choose mountains south of Superstitions ? There were/are many rich mountains to the south of the Superstitions .

Of course the Peraltas found some rich gold placers in the Superstitions and opened few mines but they never found what they were looking for , and when they were very close and opened two of the ten old mines from that region ( another one of them is NP's - Not Peralta , Tnet member ), they just didn't had many time to do a detailed research . That year was the massacre event . They entered in a sacred and protected land .

So , if Adolph Ruth had some maps from the Peraltas , maybe he knew the reason they were there , and he was looking for the same thing .
When Gonzales said about " an old mine " this shows how that mine pre dated Peraltas .

Last edited:

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per,

Hope all is well with you.

All just coincidence's I'm sure.:dontknow:

Take care,

Joe
Thank you Joe - and yes we are doing well - getting older alas, but not much one can do to fight it. C'est la vie.

As for your coincidences and hunches, I could put a fair amount of money on those and come out on the plus-side!! :-)

You take care!

Per

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
So , if Adolph Ruth had some maps from the Peraltas , maybe he knew the reason they were there , and he was looking for the same thing .
When Gonzales said about " an old mine " this shows how that mine pre dated Peraltas .[/COLOR]

Can you share where Gonzales said that this was "an old mine"? I would be interested in knowing where that came from.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you share where Gonzales said that this was "an old mine"? I would be interested in knowing where that came from.

The quote was from the Emilio letter to Erwin Ruth , and goes like this :

My uncle said his father never wanted American to have the old mine but now he thinkgs (sic) your family deserve it if you can afford to work it praticly (sic).

My uncle beleive (sic) that much gold still therer and can be found if you could dig for enough to reach this old mine where they worked it years ago.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread