Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64,

Glad to see you back.

In the coroners report and the Sheriffs report it states the driver in question never saw Knickerbocker standing on the road and never struck him but must have run over him while he was laying there.
Several things never added up. Why was Knickerbocker where he was when he was struck-run over? He wasn't near his home car or anyplace he would have been going.
The man who actually reported finding him said he never hit Knickerbocker while either walking or standing by the road but did run over him which is not uncommon when a person is lying on or along the hi-way in the dark.
The man was Mexican and it may have served to close the case quickly for the investigators.

What really happened is not shown in either the newspapers or the death certificate. Nothing about the accident or the reporting of it makes sense.

Just the incredible coincidence of the timing of the incident is stunning. The Phoenix gazette article of July 13, 1931 about Knickerbocker is just a scratch of the surface of what was going on between Ruth and Knickerbocker.

Also Cubfan, thanks for posting the death certificate I had not yet found that anywhere.

Matthew

Last edited:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64,

Glad to see you back.

In the coroners report and the Sheriffs report it states the driver in question never saw Knickerbocker standing on the road and never struck him but must have run over him while he was laying there.
Several things never added up. Why was Knickerbocker where he was when he was struck-run over? He wasn't near his home car or anyplace he would have been going.
The man who actually reported finding him said he never hit Knickerbocker while either walking or standing by the road but did run over him which is not uncommon when a person is lying on or along the hi-way in the dark.
The man was Mexican and it may have served to close the case quickly for the investigators.

What really happened is not shown in either the newspapers or the death certificate. Nothing about the accident or the reporting of it makes sense.

Just the incredible coincidence of the timing of the incident is stunning. The Phoenix gazette article of July 13, 1931 about Knickerbocker is just a scratch of the surface of what was going on between Ruth and Knickerbocker.

Also Cubfan, thanks for posting the death certificate I had not yet found that anywhere.

Matthew

The newspaper article also reports that his car was left in a grocery store parking lot while he went to Claypool with friends and left his bulldog in the car to wait - that strikes me as a little odd too.

Would you be able to post the sheriff or coroner's report? I would think at the very least someone investigating the case would have contact these "friends" he went to Claypool with to find out when and where they picked him up, where they went and when they last saw him - unless the newspaper story had that part incorrect.

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newspaper article also reports that his car was left in a grocery store parking lot while he went to Claypool with friends and left his bulldog in the car to wait - that strikes me as a little odd too.

Would you be able to post the sheriff or coroner's report? I would think at the very least someone investigating the case would have contact these "friends" he went to Claypool with to find out when and where they picked him up, where they went and when they last saw him - unless the newspaper story had that part incorrect.

Cubfan64,

This is what I mean by NOTHING makes sense about the "accident" or the reporting of it.

The article states that Knickerbocker leaving his car in the parking lot and going to Claypool with friends IS "EVIDENTLY WHAT HAPPENED".
It doesnt say that is what happened it is what they say they guess happened.
So there are no friends to ask what happened.
And there in fact weren't any friends he went with. No one came forward to give any testimony of where Knickerbocker was.
What is known is there was no reason for him to have left his car and ended up where he was found.
Something was VERY wrong about the whole thing. And this is just the beginning, it doesn't get any better as things progress.

The copies of the Sheriff's reports you ask about is a copy I made from someone else's personal file. I will ask that person if it is all right if I post the actual page(s).

Matthew

Last edited:

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Matthew: Sounds like Knickerbacker is another mystery in a long line of mysteries surrounding the Adolph Ruth Murder in the Superstition Mountains. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Matthew: How old was Knickerbacker when he died and what was his occupation and his residence? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Matthew: How old was Knickerbacker when he died and what was his occupation and his residence? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Hello Gregory,

Charles Knickerbocker was 65 years old when he died July 12, 1931. His chosen occupation was painter. He did both house painting and also auto painting. He had lived in both Phoenix and Mesa and for the last several years of his life he ran a private auto painting business in the Globe-Miami area. He was well known in the Mesa-Globe areas and not only for painting. Knickerbocker was a well known prospector and frequented the Superstition Mountains.

Knickerbocker was not married and apparently had no family. His wife had died several years earlier. He was originally from the State of Massachusetts but had lived in Arizona for the better part of his life.
It is beyond coincidence that Charles Knickerbocker died the evening before he was to meet with Erwin Ruth concerning information on where Ruth's father might be found.
The fact that Ray Howland showed up at Erwin Ruth's place unannounced and uninvited the day of that meeting and offered to talk with Erwin Ruth about that very same subject, is frankly astounding.
Ray Howland brought a map with him that day he talked to Erwin Ruth. It was a copy of the same map Adolph Ruth had taken in the mountains with him.

But Collins Morse who was also present recognized Howland's map as the same one that belonged to Charles Knickerbocker and noted the map had blood on it.

Matthew

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hello Gregory,

Charles Knickerbocker was 65 years old when he died July 12, 1931. His chosen occupation was painter. He did both house painting and also auto painting. He had lived in both Phoenix and Mesa and for the last several years of his life he ran a private auto painting business in the Globe-Miami area. He was well known in the Mesa-Globe areas and not only for painting. Knickerbocker was a well known prospector and frequented the Superstition Mountains.

Knickerbocker was not married and apparently had no family. His wife had died several years earlier. He was originally from the State of Massachusetts but had lived in Arizona for the better part of his life.
It is beyond coincidence that Charles Knickerbocker died the evening before he was to meet with Erwin Ruth concerning information on where Ruth's father might be found.
The fact that Ray Howland showed up at Erwin Ruth's place unannounced and uninvited the day of that meeting and offered to talk with Erwin Ruth about that very same subject, is frankly astounding.
Ray Howland brought a map with him that day he talked to Erwin Ruth. It was a copy of the same map Adolph Ruth had taken in the mountains with him.

But Collins Morse who was also present recognized Howland's map as the same one that belonged to Charles Knickerbocker and noted the map had blood on it.

Matthew

it would appear that the early dutch hunters were a crew of scoundrels:BangHead:

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One must remember that 1930,1931, 1932 the United States was in the depth of the depression and jobs and money have been lost by a lot of people and was hard to come by. What do you think that one would do when faced with a picture of making lots of money in that era? Just a question to ponder. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
One must remember that 1930,1931, 1932 the United States was in the depth of the depression and jobs and money have been lost by a lot of people and was hard to come by. What do you think that one would do when faced with a picture of making lots of money in that era? Just a question to ponder. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Greg,

Unless you have suffered through such rough times, it's difficult to understand living in those days.

Good posts!

Take care,

Joe

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greed can do strange things to people - It did in the 1930's and still does today.

There's a reason 1 Timothy 6:10 says "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs." Whether you're a believer or not, that statement still holds true.

Matthew - in an earlier post you implied that the authorities never questioned one person who it seemed should have been questioned - was that Ray Howland?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

greg...i totally agree....desperate people do desperate things ..starving people do things they would never think about doing when their bellies are full

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greed can do strange things to people - It did in the 1930's and still does today.

There's a reason 1 Timothy 6:10 says "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs." Whether you're a believer or not, that statement still holds true.

Matthew - in an earlier post you implied that the authorities never questioned one person who it seemed should have been questioned - was that Ray Howland?

Cubfan64,

Nobody really knew what to make of Ray Howland. Howland had been a lost mine hunter in the Superstitions since the 1920's. He had made many claims of finds in the mountains including Spanish artifacts, gold, a Spanish graveyard and even the Lost Dutchman. He and Charles Knickerbocker knew each other but there seemed to be some bad blood between them. On July 13, 1931, the day after Knickerbocker was killed, Ray Howland went to Erwin Ruth and joined the search for Erwin's father.

In February 1931 Charles Knickerbocker had made what he and his partner Collins Morse believed was a "significant discovery" in the Superstitions. Word of this discovery leaked out and area newspapers commented on it. This discovery was the catalyst that brought Adolph Ruth to Arizona. The discovery seemed to have been made using a map/directions/information Adolph Ruth had left with Collins Morse some 4 years earlier. Morse had grub staked Knickerbocker in his searches in the Superstition Mountains. Morse and Knickerbocker believed Adolph Ruth had withheld information that would lead to an even more valuable discovery.

Ray Howland was allegedly "upset" at someone else claiming to find something in the mountains and may have believed Knickerbocker indeed had found a rich discovery. This may have been the bad blood between the two. It is more than coincidence that both Knickerbocker and Howland were painters and automobile painters at that. Howland had owned his own auto paint shop in Mesa and he lost it because he was always running off in the Superstitions. I have heard rumors but never able to confirm them that Knickerbocker at one time worked for/with Howland.

You asked about the one man who authorities should have questioned but never did. Ray Howland was front and center on the Sheriff's radar, they questioned him several times but they never seriously considered him as suspect. He had several alibis that seemed to hold water. Howland even made statements to the Sheriff that he was the last man to see Ruth alive and also that he had tracked Ruth all the way to the Salt River. ( Tex Barkley is believed to have been the man who said he tracked Ruth to the Salt but in fact it was Ray Howland).

The man that was never questioned is the person I have come to believe killed Adolph Ruth and may have killed Charles Knickerbocker too. He flew right under the authorities radar even though he was in plain sight all the time. He was involved with everyone from the very beginning. You should be able to figure out his name. He was very close to Jack Keenan and his wife, and it wasn't LeRoy Purnell.

Matthew

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Cubfan64,

Nobody really knew what to make of Ray Howland. Howland had been a lost mine hunter in the Superstitions since the 1920's. He had made many claims of finds in the mountains including Spanish artifacts, gold, a Spanish graveyard and even the Lost Dutchman. He and Charles Knickerbocker knew each other but there seemed to be some bad blood between them. On July 13, 1931, the day after Knickerbocker was killed, Ray Howland went to Erwin Ruth and joined the search for Erwin's father.

In February 1931 Charles Knickerbocker had made what he and his partner Collins Morse believed was a "significant discovery" in the Superstitions. Word of this discovery leaked out and area newspapers commented on it. This discovery was the catalyst that brought Adolph Ruth to Arizona. The discovery seemed to have been made using a map/directions/information Adolph Ruth had left with Collins Morse some 4 years earlier. Morse had grub staked Knickerbocker in his searches in the Superstition Mountains. Morse and Knickerbocker believed Adolph Ruth had withheld information that would lead to an even more valuable discovery.

Ray Howland was allegedly "upset" at someone else claiming to find something in the mountains and may have believed Knickerbocker indeed had found a rich discovery. This may have been the bad blood between the two. It is more than coincidence that both Knickerbocker and Howland were painters and automobile painters at that. Howland had owned his own auto paint shop in Mesa and he lost it because he was always running off in the Superstitions. I have heard rumors but never able to confirm them that Knickerbocker at one time worked for/with Howland.

You asked about the one man who authorities should have questioned but never did. Ray Howland was front and center on the Sheriff's radar, they questioned him several times but they never seriously considered him as suspect. He had several alibis that seemed to hold water. Howland even made statements to the Sheriff that he was the last man to see Ruth alive and also that he had tracked Ruth all the way to the Salt River. ( Tex Barkley is believed to have been the man who said he tracked Ruth to the Salt but in fact it was Ray Howland).

The man that was never questioned is the person I have come to believe killed Adolph Ruth and may have killed Charles Knickerbocker too. He flew right under the authorities radar even though he was in plain sight all the time. He was involved with everyone from the very beginning. You should be able to figure out his name. He was very close to Jack Keenan and his wife, and it wasn't LeRoy Purnell.

Matthew

Matthew,

I believe I know the answer, but can you tell us what kind of tracks were followed, and how they knew they were Ruth's?

Thank you,

Joe

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusjumper,

I don't completely discount the story of Ray Howland (or Tex Barkley/someone else) tracking Adolph Ruth all the way to the Salt River but I think it was VERY unlikely in my personal opinion. Supposedly Ruth's cane imprints were followed and that's how they knew they were following Ruth. Also scraps of things Ruth may have used were found along the way.

Matthew

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what information exists out there on George Bashford?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
cactusjumper,

I don't completely discount the story of Ray Howland (or Tex Barkley/someone else) tracking Adolph Ruth all the way to the Salt River but I think it was VERY unlikely in my personal opinion. Supposedly Ruth's cane imprints were followed and that's how they knew they were following Ruth. Also scraps of things Ruth may have used were found along the way.

Matthew

Matthew,

That's the story I heard also. Personally, I don't believe a word of it. I would say "very unlikely" is a massive understatement.

Good luck,

Joe

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning all: Any comments on the events that lead up to Ruth coming to Arizona? I.E. the Gold discovery/strike by Ray Howland, Milton Rose, V.S. Irwin and E.M. Lynn in April 1931 in the area of Government Well? They declared that they had found the Lost Dutchman Mine and it made headlines for months. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Good morning all: Any comments on the events that lead up to Ruth coming to Arizona? I.E. the Gold discovery/strike by Ray Howland, Milton Rose, V.S. Irwin and E.M. Lynn in April 1931 in the area of Government Well? They declared that they had found the Lost Dutchman Mine and it made headlines for months. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Greg,

Is there some documentation (letter) that connects those events to Ruth deciding to come to Arizona? There was a lot of communication, after Ruth's death, with Erwin that could have mentioned those events as the catalyst for Ruth's fateful trip. Speculation?:dontknow:

Good luck,

Joe

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what information exists out there on George Bashford?

Cubfan64,

Several years ago I was having a conversation with a couple of well known Dutchman book/article writers and we were discussing the Adolph Ruth death. I happened to mention that I thought the man Bashford would be one of the chief suspects.
Both men who had written and published books containing the Ruth disappearance laughed and told me I had confused the man with Roy Bradford.
I replied that no I wasn't confusing the two men that Bashford was a long time dutch hunter in the Superstitions and had been close with many of the people that surrounded Ruth at the time of his death.
Neither man believed me and continued to laugh and tell me I didn't know what I was talking about, that the man's name was Bradford not Bashford.

The fact of the matter is yes, the man's name was indeed Bashford, George Bashford, and he was deeply involved with all the principle characters in the Adolph Ruth mystery including Collins Morse, LeRoy Purnell, Jack Keenan, Charles Knickerbocker, Ray Howland and even Ruth himself.

There is a lot known of George Bashford Cubfan64, and it seems he slipped under almost everybody's radar.

Matthew

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg,

Is there some documentation (letter) that connects those events to Ruth deciding to come to Arizona? There was a lot of communication, after Ruth's death, with Erwin that could have mentioned those events as the catalyst for Ruth's fateful trip. Speculation?:dontknow:

Good luck,

Joe

cactusjumper,

At the time of Adolph Ruth coming to Arizona in May 1931 his son's Erwin and Earl were not living in Washington D.C. where their father lived.
Adolph lived in D.C. with his wife and daughter.
I know we tend to ASSUME a lot of things about the Ruth mystery but it is extremely likely that Erwin Ruth didn't even know his father planned to go to Arizona and in fact there is no letter or statement or account given by Erwin that he in fact knew.
Adolph Ruth came to Arizona soon after he was contacted by Collins Morse. We know this from Morse statements to Sheriff's deputies.
We do know Ruth's wife protested his going to Arizona but Ruth left anyway. His wife's statement of not wanting him to go is the only thing on record from the entire Ruth family about his leaving.

There are newspaper articles that tell of Charles Knickerbockers discovery in the Superstitions in February 1931 which is consistent with statements given by Morse and Keenan.
Also there are newspaper articles that tell of Erwin Ruth and Knickerbocker and Ruth's lamenting the death of Knickerbocker because he had hoped the information Knickerbocker possessed would lead to his father.

One of the hard truths of the Ruth mystery is that every single event concerning Ruth was not meticulously recorded and documented somewhere. And because that official recording and documentation does not exist does not mean we cannot get a good idea of what transpired from the things that do exist. One thing I learned from my involvement in the Ruth mystery is you cannot read a single article or statement and say that is what actually happened. You have to look at everything and then you begin to see events, patterns, time lines and relationships that you would never see in just one article.

Matthew

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread