The mysterious death of Adolph Ruth

starman 1

Jun 3, 2010
gassler/Ruth

Hello Mr. Roberts,

Your photo perhaps tells quite the story. Did Ruth and Gassler pass away in the same general location? Did Gassler have information that made its way to him indirectly or even more intriguing directly? Is the messenger Tex?

Given the closeness to Pistol Canyon, Arguably the most mineralized area in The Superstitions, were they on to the same deposit? Or perhaps on to something else.

Your posts raise a number of important issues.

Have a good day.

Starman

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
azdave35,

You bring up an excellent point. Prior to Adolph Ruth disappearance almost no one paid any attention to Ruth in Arizona other than the very tiny circle of people who were directly involved with him.
He was not a celebrity and there was no news or fanfare concerning his being in Arizona. It was AFTER he disappeared and later when his skull/bones were discovered that things exploded and the whole nation focused it's attention on his death.
No one, much less Tex, Morse, Purnell, Keenan, Brownie or the others could have guessed the disappearance or death of this old man would have generated the excitement and publicity it did.
Whoever was involved in Ruth's demise most likely thought there would be a short search, maybe a little newspaper blurb or two and the whole thing would be forgotten.
No one foresaw what was to come and things got out of hand for them like a rocket to the moon. (in my opinion).

Matthew
exactly....before ruth if someone died in the superstitions they were usually buried by the person that found them and if the finder felt like reporting the body to the sheriff he did..if not oh well...and then if the sheriff felt like going out to the scene he might go look around a bit or not...1931 was almost 100 years ago...there was substantial law enforcement in town but out in the hills you were pretty much on your own..at this point in time it would be hard to figure out who offed ruth..i do believe there is person or persons still alive that know what happened but it is unlikely they will ever come forth.....i think one thing we do know for sure is ruth's body was moved and it was done by tex ..and i doubt if he was in it by himself...he had help...and like i said before...if he had help their descendants may know what happened....there are some pretty good researchers on this forum...you might try checking into the ones that were with tex..i'm sure they still have family living in this area

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave

I believe nobody will talk . To know about a murder and to don't declare it to the Sheriff , they would be accomplices in the murder and they will get about the same time in jail with a murderer .

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exactly....before ruth if someone died in the superstitions they were usually buried by the person that found them and if the finder felt like reporting the body to the sheriff he did..if not oh well...and then if the sheriff felt like going out to the scene he might go look around a bit or not...1931 was almost 100 years ago...there was substantial law enforcement in town but out in the hills you were pretty much on your own..at this point in time it would be hard to figure out who offed ruth..i do believe there is person or persons still alive that know what happened but it is unlikely they will ever come forth.....i think one thing we do know for sure is ruth's body was moved and it was done by tex ..and i doubt if he was in it by himself...he had help...and like i said before...if he had help their descendants may know what happened....there are some pretty good researchers on this forum...you might try checking into the ones that were with tex..i'm sure they still have family living in this area

azdave35,

Adams Robles Cline Barkley.jpg

Left to Right, ..... Jeff Adams, Gabriel Robles, Hosea Cline, Wm. Augustus "Tex" Barkley.

These are the four men that after Tex Barkley found a map on Adolph Ruth's body, followed that map to a cave north of Peters Mesa but were unable to locate the mine.
Tex Barkley and these men were so sure they knew that cave, and where that map led that they all brought a sack with them to put the gold in.

One of the problems of learning the real truth of the Ruth mystery is that all of these men have family that are still alive and living in the area.
None of them have been willing to talk and it should be fairly noted that none of them are suspects in any wrongdoing.
Gertrude Barkley, the wife of Tex Barkley steadfastly refused to talk about Ruth's death.

Even though 86 years have passed, the subject of Adolph Ruth is still a sensitive and heated subject to some.

Matthew

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mr. Roberts,

Your photo perhaps tells quite the story. Did Ruth and Gassler pass away in the same general location? Did Gassler have information that made its way to him indirectly or even more intriguing directly? Is the messenger Tex?

Given the closeness to Pistol Canyon, Arguably the most mineralized area in The Superstitions, were they on to the same deposit? Or perhaps on to something else.

Your posts raise a number of important issues.

Have a good day.

Starman

Hello Starman1, so glad to hear from you again.

Walter Gassler died on Peters Mesa.
Tex Barkley told Walter that he had found Adolph Ruth's body on the Mesa and moved it down to where it was later "re-found" at the NE end of Black Top Mesa.

You ask if Gassler and Ruth died at the same location.
My answer and my opinion is it is possible because I do not believe Walter Gassler died sitting on the rock where he was found along the Peters Trail.

I believe (in my opinion) he was carried to that rock and perched on it so he would be found away from the scene of his death.
I believe that he was carried to that rock (my opinion) in part, because Walter died of a heart attack and was found sitting, and balanced perfectly upright on a small rock with no sides or back.
How a man could suffer a major heart attack and die while remaining perfectly upright, balanced perfectly on a small rock without even slumping over is impossible (in my opinion).
The presence of several men in the vicinity also weighs heavily in my belief.

I don't want to take this thread off in the direction of Walter's death, as the topic is the death of Adolph Ruth, but to answer your questions,.......
Whatever information Tex may have given Walter about a possible mine, Walter kept that confidence.
I know where Walter believed the mine to be and where he was going on his last trip into the mountains and yes, that place is in the same proximity.

Best to you starman1,

Matthew

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
azdave35,

View attachment 1458227

Left to Right, ..... Jeff Adams, Gabriel Robles, Hosea Cline, Wm. Augustus "Tex" Barkley.

These are the four men that after Tex Barkley found a map on Adolph Ruth's body, followed that map to a cave north of Peters Mesa but were unable to locate the mine.
Tex Barkley and these men were so sure they knew that cave, and where that map led that they all brought a sack with them to put the gold in.

One of the problems of learning the real truth of the Ruth mystery is that all of these men have family that are still alive and living in the area.
None of them have been willing to talk and it should be fairly noted that none of them are suspects in any wrongdoing.
Gertrude Barkley, the wife of Tex Barkley steadfastly refused to talk about Ruth's death.

Even though 86 years have passed, the subject of Adolph Ruth is still a sensitive and heated subject to some.

Matthew

matthew... `the clines and the robles were both prominent ranchers..clines in the 4 peaks area and robles in hewitt canyon...robles butte in hewitt canyon was named after him..(i'm sure you already know this but others here dont)...you have probably already researched the geneolgy of both families years ago...it might not hurt to check and see if they are still around...you never know...one of them might feel like talking now

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see the map that Tex had when was searching north of Peters Mesa .

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
azdave35 wrote ..... "matthew... `the clines and the robles were both prominent ranchers..clines in the 4 peaks area and robles in hewitt canyon...robles butte in hewitt canyon was named after him..(i'm sure you already know this but others here dont)...you have probably already researched the geneolgy of both families years ago...it might not hurt to check and see if they are still around...you never know...one of them might feel like talking now."

azdave,

You are exactly right about Cline, as Hosea Cline ranched in both the 4 Peaks and Tonto Basin areas on the fringe of the Superstitions.
Prior to Adolph Ruth, Cline bought the TT Ranch north of New River, Arizona and established his headquarters there. Later on Hosea Cline's TT ranch belonged to his nephew John Henry Cline.
Hosea moved to California for a few years.

I had a small ranch square in the middle of (Hosea) John Henry Cline's TT cattle range. My ranch house was 1 mile directly south of Cline's house on Table Mesa Road.
I bought some calves from Cline and ran them in with his TT cattle, as well as XS, NO and Joy Ranch cattle that all shared that range back then.

An old cowboy who had retired but once worked for Cline and also had worked for for the Clemens Cattle Company in the Superstitions years before. His name was Burl Lann and his father established the Butcher Hook Ranch in Tonto Basin.
Lann was my closest neighbor and would often come over and sit and talk with me in the bunkhouse. Burl had several theories about what happened to Adolph Ruth, none of them good.

Johnny Cline never talked much about the Adolph Ruth matter but his wife told me that Hosea Cline was a violent man who abused his wife badly, threatened others with a gun and was in jail for a time in California.
After he got out he came back to Arizona and that is when he got involved with his old friends Jeff Adams, Robles and Barkley and subsequently the Adolph Ruth death. Neither Johnny nor his wife painted a favorable picture of Hosea.

Matthew

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
azdave35 wrote ..... "matthew... `the clines and the robles were both prominent ranchers..clines in the 4 peaks area and robles in hewitt canyon...robles butte in hewitt canyon was named after him..(i'm sure you already know this but others here dont)...you have probably already researched the geneolgy of both families years ago...it might not hurt to check and see if they are still around...you never know...one of them might feel like talking now."

azdave,

You are exactly right about Cline, as Hosea Cline ranched in both the 4 Peaks and Tonto Basin areas on the fringe of the Superstitions.
Prior to Adolph Ruth, Cline bought the TT Ranch north of New River, Arizona and established his headquarters there. Later on Hosea Cline's TT ranch belonged to his nephew John Henry Cline.
Hosea moved to California for a few years.

I had a small ranch square in the middle of (Hosea) John Henry Cline's TT cattle range. My ranch house was 1 mile directly south of Cline's house on Table Mesa Road.
I bought some calves from Cline and ran them in with his TT cattle, as well as XS, NO and Joy Ranch cattle that all shared that range back then.

An old cowboy who had retired but once worked for Cline and also had worked for for the Clemens Cattle Company in the Superstitions years before. His name was Burl Lann and his father established the Butcher Hook Ranch in Tonto Basin.
Lann was my closest neighbor and would often come over and sit and talk with me in the bunkhouse. Burl had several theories about what happened to Adolph Ruth, none of them good.

Johnny Cline never talked much about the Adolph Ruth matter but his wife told me that Hosea Cline was a violent man who abused his wife badly, threatened others with a gun and was in jail for a time in California.
After he got out he came back to Arizona and that is when he got involved with his old friends Jeff Adams, Robles and Barkley and subsequently the Adolph Ruth death. Neither Johnny nor his wife painted a favorable picture of Hosea.

Matthew

matthew....generally speaking..good people usually dont hang around with crapweasels....if cline was a violent man with a temper..maybe barkley...robles and adams were a little on the unlawful side too...birds of a feather flock together....when four guys like that run across a man like ruth with supposed directions to the ldm.....who knows what their thoughts were

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see the map that Tex had when was searching north of Peters Mesa .

markmar,

Yes, so would I. But that map was not among the Sheriff's files on Adolph Ruth's disappearance and death.
Where that map/directions are today and who has them is anybody's guess. I have a good idea but I don't want to open that Pandora's box.

We know the rough directions to that map because both Jeff Adams and Jim Bark wrote letters describing those directions.

Here is part of what Jeff Adams wrote to Arizona Senator Carl Hayden:

"After finding and assembling these bones we followed the (map) directions given to reach the alleged Lost Dutchman mine. This trip took us two days of very hard labor and following these directions we came to the place pointed out in the instructions and found no evidence of any human being ever having been there at any time in the past.”

Jim Bark writes this to Sims Ely:

“After finding this map, the hunting party of five went into a huddle and then asked Tex Barkley if he knew of such a cave. Tex replied that he knew of a cave up there. Whether it was the right one or not he could not say for sure, so they gathered up the bones and belongings of Ruth and took them to camp. Each got an empty grain sack and returned to explore the cave, and incidentally to get a sack of gold ore or nuggets whichever it might be. Tex led them to a cave, and it certainly was a rough trip, but they found no mine or gold.”

The actual directions to the cave and mine went something like this:

Once on Peters Mesa take the first major canyon to the east and follow it north to the cave. The mine was to be a certain distance from the cave.

Jeff Adams wrote that it was one of the roughest places he had ever seen in the Superstitions.

I have followed the directions that came from Jeff Adams, Jim Bark and Tex Barkley and found the cave but like the search party in 1932, could not locate the mine.

Matthew

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
markmar,

Yes, so would I. But that map was not among the Sheriff's files on Adolph Ruth's disappearance and death.
Where that map/directions are today and who has them is anybody's guess. I have a good idea but I don't want to open that Pandora's box.

We know the rough directions to that map because both Jeff Adams and Jim Bark wrote letters describing those directions.

"After finding and assembling these bones we followed the (map) directions given to reach the alleged Lost Dutchman mine. This trip took us two days of very hard labor and following these directions we came to the place pointed out in the instructions and found no evidence of any human being ever having been there at any time in the past.”

“After finding this map, the hunting party of five went into a huddle and then asked Tex Barkley if he knew of such a cave. Tex replied that he knew of a cave up there. Whether it was the right one or not he could not say for sure, so they gathered up the bones and belongings of Ruth and took them to camp. Each got an empty grain sack and returned to explore the cave, and incidentally to get a sack of gold ore or nuggets whichever it might be. Tex led them to a cave, and it certainly was a rough trip, but they found no mine or gold.”

Once on Peters Mesa take the first major canyon to the east and follow it north to the cave. The mine was to be a certain distance from the cave.

Jeff Adams wrote that it was one of the roughest places he had ever seen in the Superstitions.

I have followed the directions that came from Jeff Adams, Jim Bark and Tex Barkley and found the cave but like the search party in 1932, could not locate the mine.

Matthew
a couple other things could have happened that day....barkley and the crew followed the map and found something and told the authorities they couldn't find the mine...or barkley took them to a bogus cave and came back later by himself....

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the letter Jim Bark wrote to Sims Ely in January 13,1932 describing what Jeff Adams had told him about the map that was found on Adolph Ruth's body.
Several things are clear from this letter.

Jeff Adams was evasive with Jim Bark concerning certain issues.
Jeff Adams didn't want Jim Bark to get involved in any way.
Gertrude Barkley did not want to talk to Jim Bark about Adolph Ruth and Tex Barkley was avoided him also.

Jeff Adams outright lied to Jim Bark because Erwin Ruth never received the map/directions that Jeff Adams said had been sent to him.

January 13, 1932
Dear Sims,

Here is what has taken place to date. I arrived here Monday morning and immediately struck out for Mesa to see the Barkley's (I am presuming that you have read the Sunday Arizona Republic containing the report of the Superstitions returned party). I found from Mrs. Barkley that Jeff Adams had returned with Tex Barkley to the First Water Ranch Sunday, she would not tell me what for, but told me to wait and see Tex as he would tell me something that she had no right to tell.

So I waited until 4 P.M. Monday and Tex and Jeff did not return, so I came back to the bunks with the positive promise from Mrs. Barkley that she would call me as soon as the two returned, which was expected anytime. I waited around until Tuesday morning and found that Jeff Adams had not returned, and waited until about 3 O'CIock P.M. went down to the Sheriff's office and found Jeff Adams had returned in the morning after I had called for him.

I congratulated Jeff Adams upon the finding of the remains and effects of Ruth, and that it had been a very difficult task well accomplished. I had already congratulated Sheriff McFadden, as I heard that he had been up there after they found the remains. Jeff introduced me to several of the sheriff's force, as the great Lost Dutchman hunter, took me into a side room and said Jim I am going to tell you, we did find a paper not a map. A paper with a few lines and considerable written instructions to go to the mine and we went right to it. Anybody could follow it.

Then he asked me for a lead pencil, grabbed an old piece of a ballot with other markings on it and told me that they found the body on the little flat just before you drop down into Marsh Valley coming from 1st water on the trail.

The map plainly described the Charleboise trail to the top of Peters Mesa then N. to the Black Mt. (Malapai Mountain) until you came to the first canyon, it was running East into Peters Canyon. Go down it almost to Peters Canyon, the roughest trail or country he ever was over, finally they came to a very large cave. There the map ended the trail and stated that right across the canyon about 250 ft. or yards was the mine.

The 5 of them, had each taken an empty sack to bring back ore. He insinuated they stayed there 3 hours and all the country looked like there was no mine there, so they came out and went back to camp, and found that Jeff's blood hound had not showed up, so the next morning they went back down the awful trail and there found the dog who had taken charge of the sack that Jeff had left there.

Jeff then said, “Jim don't you go in there, or don't you send anyone in there.” Jeff drew the map and I have it, although I do not need it. I left a call for Mrs. Barkley and received a reply from Central in Mesa that Mrs. Barkley was not at home.
I then instructed Central to ring the house every 20 min. and about 8 P.M. Central answered and left a message here, that Mrs. Barkley was not in but probably would be in Phoenix tomorrow. Here it is 1 P.M. still no Mrs. Barkley and I think Tex Barkley returned to First Water yesterday.

Now draw your own deductions. My own after thinking over it all is that they have found the Mine and they don't want Uncle Jim (Jim Bark) around or in it. What pressure they brought to bear on Tex Barkley to get him to throw me over I do not know.

I wired Northcutt (Sims Ely's son) last night that the map was in the box with the other effects, and did he think he could get it. Jeff Adams told me he put the map in the box with Adolph Ruth’s other effects that were shipped to Washington D.C.

I do not want the map, only to verify what Jeff told me. My idea is for Northcutt to get a power of attorney representing Mrs. Ruth's interest here, and if it comes to a show down, he may get something for her. I came here in a very great hurry, and it don't look as though I was going to accomplish very much, but it is very interesting.

Jim (Bark)

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Here is the letter Jim Bark wrote to Sims Ely in January 13,1932 describing what Jeff Adams had told him about the map that was found on Adolph Ruth's body.

Gertrude Barkley did not want to talk to Jim Bark about Adolph Ruth and Tex Barkley was avoided him also.

Jeff Adams outright lied to Jim Bark because Erwin Ruth never received the map/directions that Jeff Adams said had been sent to him.

January 13, 1932
Dear Sims,

Here is what has taken place to date. I arrived here Monday morning and immediately struck out for Mesa to see the Barkley's (I am presuming that you have read the Sunday Arizona Republic containing the report of the Superstitions returned party). I found from Mrs. Barkley that Jeff Adams had returned with Tex Barkley to the First Water Ranch Sunday, she would not tell me what for, but told me to wait and see Tex as he would tell me something that she had no right to tell.

So I waited until 4 P.M. Monday and Tex and Jeff did not return, so I came back to the bunks with the positive promise from Mrs. Barkley that she would call me as soon as the two returned, which was expected anytime. I waited around until Tuesday morning and found that Jeff Adams had not returned, and waited until about 3 O'CIock P.M. went down to the Sheriff's office and found Jeff Adams had returned in the morning after I had called for him.

I congratulated Jeff Adams upon the finding of the remains and effects of Ruth, and that it had been a very difficult task well accomplished. I had already congratulated Sheriff McFadden, as I heard that he had been up there after they found the remains. Jeff introduced me to several of the sheriff's force, as the great Lost Dutchman hunter, took me into a side room and said Jim I am going to tell you, we did find a paper not a map. A paper with a few lines and considerable written instructions to go to the mine and we went right to it. Anybody could follow it.

Then he asked me for a lead pencil, grabbed an old piece of a ballot with other markings on it and told me that they found the body on the little flat just before you drop down into Marsh Valley coming from 1st water on the trail.

The map plainly described the Charleboise trail to the top of Peters Mesa then N. to the Black Mt. (Malapai Mountain) until you came to the first canyon, it was running East into Peters Canyon. Go down it almost to Peters Canyon, the roughest trail or country he ever was over, finally they came to a very large cave. There the map ended the trail and stated that right across the canyon about 250 ft. or yards was the mine.

The 5 of them, had each taken an empty sack to bring back ore. He insinuated they stayed there 3 hours and all the country looked like there was no mine there, so they came out and went back to camp, and found that Jeff's blood hound had not showed up, so the next morning they went back down the awful trail and there found the dog who had taken charge of the sack that Jeff had left there.

Jeff then said, “Jim don't you go in there, or don't you send anyone in there.” Jeff drew the map and I have it, although I do not need it. I left a call for Mrs. Barkley and received a reply from Central in Mesa that Mrs. Barkley was not at home.
I then instructed Central to ring the house every 20 min. and about 8 P.M. Central answered and left a message here, that Mrs. Barkley was not in but probably would be in Phoenix tomorrow. Here it is 1 P.M. still no Mrs. Barkley and I think Tex Barkley returned to First Water yesterday.

Now draw your own deductions. My own after thinking over it all is that they have found the Mine and they don't want Uncle Jim (Jim Bark) around or in it. What pressure they brought to bear on Tex Barkley to get him to throw me over I do not know.

I wired Northcutt (Sims Ely's son) last night that the map was in the box with the other effects, and did he think he could get it. Jeff Adams told me he put the map in the box with Adolph Ruth’s other effects that were shipped to Washington D.C.

I do not want the map, only to verify what Jeff told me. My idea is for Northcutt to get a power of attorney representing Mrs. Ruth's interest here, and if it comes to a show down, he may get something for her. I came here in a very great hurry, and it don't look as though I was going to accomplish very much, but it is very interesting.

Jim (Bark)

matthew...the letter is a little confusing when he talks about malpais mountain and black mountain being the same...unless back then the current black mountain was just a no named part of peters mesa and malpais was called black mountain...if that is true the rough canyon must be pistol canyon.....sounds to me like barkley and his crew did find something in the canyon and kept it quiet

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - this is getting better and better! Even Agatha Christie could not have written a better 'whodunit'

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
markmar,

Matthew

Matthew

Is clear they followed the Peralta's " locator map " which was accompanied with Ruth's own opinions/descriptions of the map content .
The map contains two slides . the first is the upperr map and marked with the Latin #1 and the second is the lower map marked with the Latin #2 .
They followed first the map #2 to the supposed canyon and after they followed the ( wrong ) decryption of the map #1 which in Ruth's opinion described ( because the two Roman numerals " C " which is for hundred and other numeral symbols ) how the cave ( the cave symbol on the WN which could considered north of WN ) is about 200- 280 feet or yards from/across the mine .
Of course they found nothing , because IMO the map is for another place . I believe how after this wrong decryption of this map was born/adopted the false clue how the LDM is about 200 feet/yards from the cave .

p78281157-3.jpg

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

January 13, 1932
Dear Sims,

Jim (Bark)

unclejim.JPG

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
azdave 35 wrote:......... "matthew...the letter is a little confusing when he talks about malpais mountain and black mountain being the same...unless back then the current black mountain was just a no named part of peters mesa and malpais was called black mountain...if that is true the rough canyon must be pistol canyon.....sounds to me like barkley and his crew did find something in the canyon and kept it quiet."

dave,

What we know as "Black Mountain" today was a part of Peters Mesa until it became known as Charleboise (Charley-Boy) Mountain. It still is called Charley-Boy Mountain by most old timers.

Malapais was first called Black Top Mountain (not to be confused with Black Top Mesa) because of the black band of rock on it's top. Later it became known as Malapai Mountain because of the rough and unforgiving terrain.

Charley-Boy Mountain got it's name changed to Black Mountain when the Forest Service mis-named it on a topographic map and it has been that way ever since. Black Mountain is actually a mistake.

Also, ..... Hell's Hip Pocket is a place on the north side of the Salt River but at one time was also a place name on the south side. Today it is referred to as Hell's Hole by most old timers.
It is very easy to confuse these place names with other similar names, Hell's Hip Pocket, Hell's Hole, Hell's hole spring. All are Similar but all are in Different places.

One thing to remember when listening to anyone give directions in the Superstition Mountains, never assume, no matter who you are talking to that they write or say the correct name of a specific place. That would assume they are an expert or a walking, talking Atlas. MANY people even old timers sometime confuse places or have their own name or version of a name for a place.

And never, EVER, assume that what you read on a modern Topo map is the SAME place that old timers meant when they said or wrote something 80-100 years ago.

Matthew

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A. Ruth Death Certificate.JPG

The Death Certificate for Adolph Ruth.
He is listed as 65 years old. He was actually 76 years old.
The cause of death officially is UNKNOWN,.... even after the Phoenix/Maricopa Medical Examiner had ruled his death to be Natural Causes.
The UNKNOWN ruling left the cause of death open in the event new information became available.
There is no date of Ruth's death.
The Maricopa County Sheriff's office is the only source of information for the death certificate.

The timeline of Adolph Ruth's disappearance and death.

May 4, 1931 Adolph Ruth leaves Washington D.C. by automobile for Mesa, Arizona.

May 13,1931 Ten days later Ruth arrives at Cal Morse gas Station in east Mesa, Arizona.

June 13, 1931 One month later, Ruth is packed into the Superstition Mountains to a camp at Willow Spring in West Boulder Canyon.

June 14, 1931 Adolph Ruth writes his last entry in his personal journal.

June 24, 1931 Twelve days later (allegedly) Jack Keenan and Cal Morse become aware that Ruth is missing from his camp at Willow Spring.

June 25, 1931 Cal Morse phones the Maricopa County Sheriff James MacFadden and informs him Adolph Ruth is missing in the Superstition Mountains.

December 10, 1931 The skull of Adolph Ruth is found in a side canyon on the NE end of Black Top Mesa.

December 14, 1931 Odd Halseth sends Ruth's skull from Phoenix to Washington D.C. to be professionally examined by Ales Hrdlicka.

December 19, 1931 Ales Hrdlicka reports back to Halseth in Phoenix that he believes the holes in Ruth's skull are bullet holes.

January 8, 1932 The remains (bones, clothes and personal items) of Ruth are found near a trail about a half mile from where Ruth's skull was discovered.

January 13, 1932 The Phoenix Medical Examiner examines Ruth's bones and remains and says Adolph Ruth died of NATURAL CAUSES !

February 12, 1932 The Maricopa County Coroner signs Ruth's official Death Certificate. The cause of death is listed as, UNKNOWN !

February 13, 1932 All of Adolph Ruth's remains and personal effects are shipped from Phoenix to his family in Washington D.C.

Matthew

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread