STORIES........

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

I read a little more about the "King's 5th" by going on your website, and I find it fascinating. I hope you'll be sharing more. Was there any clue as to who buried it there?

Also just to clarify, I'm not interested in knowing how much there was, or where exactly it was buried. I know better than to ask for that.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I read a little more about the "King's 5th" by going on your website, and I find it fascinating. I hope you'll be sharing more. Was there any clue as to who buried it there?

Also just to clarify, I'm not interested in knowing how much there was, or where exactly it was buried. I know better than to ask for that.

deducer....that story had been kept pretty quiet until the first rendezvous when i told greg davis, joe ribaudo and a few others about it...carroll related the story to me about 30 years ago...in 1968 carroll and a few partners located a treasure in the goldfield area by following symbols carved in cactus and rocks...they located it on top of a hill that had many cryptic symbols on it...they spent years following the symbols and trying to interpret what they meant ..they finally triangulated in on it and found the spot....they all agreed to go home and get some sleep and meet back at the spot very early in the morning to dig it up...carroll did just that but when he got back to the hill the next morning he saw a freshly dug hole at the spot they were going to dig...he examined the hole and he could see the imprints of where the bars had been..at first he thought someone had been spying on them the day before and had dug the bars up after carroll and his partners left the night before...but then he realized his partners had not showed up at the site yet....he was there alone and then he figured out that his partners had never left the site and dug the hole after carroll left....he scoured the country looking for them but they were never heard from again....it didnt take long for word to get out that something was recovered on that hill and soon everyone in the area was digging on that hill hoping to find more treasure...they had heavy equipment and dynamite and pretty soon it looked like a war zone on that hill....carroll has the names of the pukes that robbed him in his notes but i only recognized one...apparently he made a habit of robbing his partners because i heard he did the same thing to his partners on another dig 10 years earlier

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
deducer....that story had been kept pretty quiet until the first rendezvous when i told greg davis, joe ribaudo and a few others about it...carroll related the story to me about 30 years ago...in 1968 carroll and a few partners located a treasure in the goldfield area by following symbols carved in cactus and rocks...they located it on top of a hill that had many cryptic symbols on it...they spent years following the symbols and trying to interpret what they meant ..they finally triangulated in on it and found the spot....they all agreed to go home and get some sleep and meet back at the spot very early in the morning to dig it up...carroll did just that but when he got back to the hill the next morning he saw a freshly dug hole at the spot they were going to dig...he examined the hole and he could see the imprints of where the bars had been..at first he thought someone had been spying on them the day before and had dug the bars up after carroll and his partners left the night before...but then he realized his partners had not showed up at the site yet....he was there alone and then he figured out that his partners had never left the site and dug the hole after carroll left....he scoured the country looking for them but they were never heard from again....it didnt take long for word to get out that something was recovered on that hill and soon everyone in the area was digging on that hill hoping to find more treasure...they had heavy equipment and dynamite and pretty soon it looked like a war zone on that hill....carroll has the names of the pukes that robbed him in his notes but i only recognized one...apparently he made a habit of robbing his partners because i heard he did the same thing to his partners on another dig 10 years earlier

Dave,

As I recall, I asked you if you would tell that story, as it was yours to tell. I had read or heard it from you before the 1st. Rendezvous. Seems, as I recall, that the hill was located just off the Second Water Rd., close to the trailhead. Memory changes after a few years and a number of near death episodes in life.

Take care,

Joe

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave,

As I recall, I asked you if you would tell that story, as it was yours to tell. I had read or heard it from you before the 1st. Rendezvous. Seems, as I recall, that the hill was located just off the Second Water Rd., close to the trailhead. Memory changes after a few years and a number of near death episodes in life.

Take care,

Joe

..joe..my memory is about shot too but maybe between the two of us we can get a few facts straight...lol....and yes..the hill isn't far from the trailhead

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
..joe..my memory is about shot too but maybe between the two of us we can get a few facts straight...lol....and yes..the hill isn't far from the trailhead

you must have heard the story from someone because it has never been in a book until glover put it in his latest book

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
you must have heard the story from someone because it has never been in a book until glover put it in his latest book

Dave,

I told Thomas that the story was yours, and he asked me to get your permission to put it in his book. You kindly agreed and made some minor factual changes.

Take care,

Joe

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave,

I told Thomas that the story was yours, and he asked me to get your permission to put it in his book. You kindly agreed and made some minor factual changes.

Take care,

Joe

yep..thats how i remember it....but to my knowledge glover was the first to ever put it in print...carroll didn't even tell his son about that one...carroll jr. found out about it when he was going through dad's papers last year...it was a tender subject for carroll sr....he didn't really like talking about it and when he did you could see by the look on his face he was thinking bad thoughts about the scoundrels that betrayed him...at the time he told me the story of being cheated by his partners i felt very bad for carroll but it wasn't until quite a few years later that i would really know how he felt as i had the same thing happen to me..twice...no matter how careful you are when you are choosing a mining partner you never know how they will act until you actually find something

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Dave,

That's quite the story. Thanks for sharing, I feel so bad for Carroll. I have a feeling he wasn't the one who suggested they all "sleep on it."

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
AZDave, you mentioned that after this "King's Fifth" was recovered/stolen the area became a Park. Were those events related to one another ?

Also, please discuss the other treasure discovered by Carroll Ingle, if you are able.

Thanks !

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
AZDave, you mentioned that after this "King's Fifth" was recovered/stolen the area became a Park. As in "cause/effect" or are you just stating that as matter of fact ?

there are two different treasures carroll found...the one we are talking about was not found in the state park...that is an entirely different story...it was found close to the trailhead ....carroll jr. and i will probably be at the rendezvous this october ..we could probably be talked into telling the story of both treasures if you are interested

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Dave, thanks for the invite. Not this year but 2018 is gonna be my Lewis and Clark year to Go West and see the country. Apache Junction and Superstition is definitely a destination.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl Boderick with silver bar.jpg

Carl Boderick with silver bar from just north of Government Well.
Silver bar weighed between 8 - 10 lbs.
Steve Barrik told Carl the silver bars were stolen from a shipment of silver from the Silver King mine and hidden/buried north of Government Well.
According to Carl the silver bar was the only one he found. There may have been others found earlier and this one was overlooked or buried nearby.
I have heard three different versions of silver bars found at Government Well over the years.
Would like to hear someone else's story the way it was told to them.

Matthew

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1467731

Carl Boderick with silver bar from just north of Government Well.
Silver bar weighed between 8 - 10 lbs.
Steve Barrik told Carl the silver bars were stolen from a shipment of silver from the Silver King mine and hidden/buried north of Government Well.
According to Carl the silver bar was the only one he found. There may have been others found earlier and this one was overlooked or buried nearby.
I have heard three different versions of silver bars found at Government Well over the years.
Would like to hear someone else's story the way it was told to them.

Matthew

Matthew - on another forum Gollum posted about the "silver bar" find at Govt. Well. He saw a copy of the rubbing that Carl did on the bar he found and Gollum's research indicated that the bar was actually not silver, but rather Nickel.

This is what Gollum posted...

"I know this is an old thread, but I had been going through a bunch of old stories, seeing what interested me enough to maybe spend some time on. This was one of those stories. The casting had that old "Style" look to it. The rubbing is great...exceeeept for one thing (actually two):

When Mr Broderick did the rubbing, he left off two words (one at each end of the ingot). That word is "NICKEL". The bar he is holding is a Nickel Babbit Ingot:

The Great Western Smelting & Refining Co. didn't produce precious metal ingots. They made Nickel Babbit Ingots for bearings. Each end should read; XXXX and NICKEL. They are currently going for around $20 for a 48 ounce (Broderick's weighed between 4-5 pounds on a bathroom scale) ingot on ebay."

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Matthew - on another forum Gollum posted about the "silver bar" find at Govt. Well. He saw a copy of the rubbing that Carl did on the bar he found and Gollum's research indicated that the bar was actually not silver, but rather Nickel.

This is what Gollum posted...

"I know this is an old thread, but I had been going through a bunch of old stories, seeing what interested me enough to maybe spend some time on. This was one of those stories. The casting had that old "Style" look to it. The rubbing is great...exceeeept for one thing (actually two):

When Mr Broderick did the rubbing, he left off two words (one at each end of the ingot). That word is "NICKEL". The bar he is holding is a Nickel Babbit Ingot:

The Great Western Smelting & Refining Co. didn't produce precious metal ingots. They made Nickel Babbit Ingots for bearings. Each end should read; XXXX and NICKEL. They are currently going for around $20 for a 48 ounce (Broderick's weighed between 4-5 pounds on a bathroom scale) ingot on ebay."

gee thanks..we were all perfectly content to think old carl found a silver bar....ya just had to bust our bubble:dontknow:

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening Cubfan64: I interviewed Carl Boderick several years before he passed away. He let me photograph his photo album plus him holding the bar and a close up of the so called Silver Bar. The four X's are there at each end of the bar however, after careful examining the bar under a loop, I find that there is no word, "Nickle" at ether end of the bar. Now, I only photographed the front of the bar. I did not photograph any of the sides or back. I do not know if his bar is Silver or Nickle. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Good evening Cubfan64: I interviewed Carl Boderick several years before he passed away. He let me photograph his photo album plus him holding the bar and a close up of the so called Silver Bar. The four X's are there at each end of the bar however, after careful examining the bar under a loop, I find that there is no word, "Nickle" at ether end of the bar. Now, I only photographed the front of the bar. I did not photograph any of the sides or back. I do not know if his bar is Silver or Nickle. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

greg...i talked to a local guy that also knew carl and he was told by carl that the bar was definitely silver ...this is the first i've ever heard of it being nickle

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a dog in the fight - just relaying the information Gollum dug up. I always figured it was a silver bar (I would have assumed Carl tested it), but Gollum's information seemed relevant to the discussion. I know he's out in the "bush" these days, but maybe someone who knows how can contact him and ask him to check in here - maybe he has other information. I gotta wonder whatever happened to that bar that Carl found?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread