azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read? ???

OK, who are you and what have you done with the real azdave?

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i stopped by the bluebird gift shop the other day...louie sure has a nice little museum with a ton of old newspaper clippings and info on the goldfield area..if you haven't been in a while you should drop by and check it out....take some time to read some of the stuff he has on the walls and tables

That place is a landmark!!! I don't know when they shut the mine tours down?
I've been going there since the 60's & i'm sure many of you have been there way before that!!
It would be cool if people would post their earliest pictures of Bluebird & a big plus for pictures of the mine tour!!

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know the history of the Ruiz family with respect to the mine and store ?......Greg ?

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the jukebox out front with "rocky robin" & Tom T Hall's "I Love" constantly playing!!

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, but in 21 years of exploring those mountains, and driving past the Bluebird so many times, I've never stopped in for a look.
Still on my list though.

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, but in 21 years of exploring those mountains, and driving past the Bluebird so many times, I've never stopped in for a look.
Still on my list though.

on weekends we would head out 3am, fill the 900 gal water tank a couple miles from the claims. set up the core drill & be done about 10:30-11.
Go to the Bluebird & eat while my dad talked to John Wilburn & others.
That place is about the only place miners & prospectors would hang out, a piece of history in itself!

View attachment 1474309

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Still on my list though.

you definitely need to stop in and have a look..he has **** all over the walls from the goldfield area...also look at the tables on the front porch...the top has a bunch of articles and is laminated with resin...around back is old equipment from the bluebird mine..the old arrestra is still there

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Still on my list though.

dont forget to get a buffalo burger...pretty tasty

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a side note, it was a gentleman by the name of Francisco Ruiz who spurred my interest in the stone maps.
An engineer for the company I work for at the time, and born and raised on his family's farm in Cholula, Puebla Mex., he noticed something in one of the photos of the range which I was showing another guy in his office. Been having fun with that ever since then. He left for a job with the Blackberry outfit shortly after, but I'll have to see if I can't get in touch with him again, cause I'm sure he would find some of my latest shots to be even more interesting.

Regards:Wayne

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
on weekends we would head out 3am, fill the 900 gal water tank a couple miles from the claims. set up the core drill & be done about 10:30-11.
Go to the Bluebird & eat while my dad talked to John Wilburn & others.
That place is about the only place miners & prospectors would hang out, a piece of history in itself!

View attachment 1474309

the place is definitely a landmark..it was a hangout for all the big time ldm hunters...it was the only thing out there back then...i always stop in when i'm in the area

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay Worst and I would go down to Ruiz place and have a hamburger and chocolate malt (Clay's favorite) and sit out on the front porch and talk dutch talk with Ray, Louie, John Wilburn or whoever dropped by. Wilburn and Clay always disagreed on where the mine was. John thought it was Goldfield and Clay thought back in the mountains. John Wilburn taught me a lot about geology and gold bearing rock there at the Bluebird. Some great discussions were had there, great times and great memories.

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Clay Worst and I would go down to Ruiz place and have a hamburger and chocolate malt (Clay's favorite) and sit out on the front porch and talk dutch talk with Ray, Louie, John Wilburn or whoever dropped by. Wilburn and Clay always disagreed on where the mine was. John thought it was Goldfield and Clay thought back in the mountains. John Wilburn taught me a lot about geology and gold bearing rock there at the Bluebird. Some great discussions were had there, great times and great memories.

same here matthew...john wilburn taught me a bunch about geology and mining..john was a great geologist ..especially good on the geology of the goldfield area...he found most of the richer veins in the black queen and wasp mines

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no one has any pictures of the Bluebird???????????????

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scene is with John Goodman and another actor. The other actor is in the Bluebird and robs it they forget the baby on the car and drive away.

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrol,
A screen shot of John Goodman in front of the Bluebird in RAISING ARIZONA.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-21-11-22-04.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-21-11-22-04.png
    298.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scene is with John Goodman and another actor. The other actor is in the Bluebird and robs it they forget the baby on the car and drive away.

i'll have to watch the movie! thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions