for matthew and greg..howlands govt well claim

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
it would seem howland didnt want his name on the govt well claim...i found the claim under his partner's names...wesley gary and ivan davis....

looks like it was about 1/4 mile south of govt well....this was one of a few claims in there under the same name....probably on lewis's property now

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
azdave35,

Yes this is the claim Howland and the others filed April 4, 1931.

The one you posted looks as if it's an extention (#6) of the Scotsman Dream Claim.

The claim you posted is Scotsman Dream #6 and if you read the location it says it lays on the east side line of the Scotsman Dream Claim.

The Scotsman Dream most likely being the major discovery location.

I know you know but some here may not that if a lode ledge goes beyond the maximum allowable size of a single lode claim you can file extensions to the claim around it. But you are only allowed to file so many of these extensions. That is probably why only Gray and Davis names appear on the #6.

The four men involved were Howland, Wes Gray, Ivan Davis and Dr. Earnest Crandall.

Since we know there are at least 6 Scotsman Dream claims there could be even more. I would guess all 4 men were involved with the original claim and may have divided up the 6+ extensions.

Here is the newspaper clip of the find showing the locators.

Howland Apr. 6, 1931.jpg

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
azdave35,

Yes this is the claim Howland and the others filed April 4, 1931.

The one you posted looks as if it's an extention (#6) of the Scotsman Dream Claim.

The claim you posted is Scotsman Dream #6 and if you read the location it says it lays on the east side line of the Scotsman Dream Claim.

The Scotsman Dream most likely being the major discovery location.

I know you know but some here may not that if a lode ledge goes beyond the maximum allowable size of a single lode claim you can file extensions to the claim around it. But you are only allowed to file so many of these extensions. That is probably why only Gray and Davis names appear on the #6.

The four men involved were Howland, Wes Gray, Ivan Davis and Dr. Earnest Crandall.

Since we know there are at least 6 Scotsman Dream claims there could be even more. I would guess all 4 men were involved with the original claim and may have divided up the 6+ extensions.

Here is the newspaper clip of the find showing the locators.

View attachment 1476400

matthew...i saw a few more scotsman claims on record but none with howlands name in maricopa county.....he did have some in the estrella mountains around 1918 though..my guess is he had reasons for not putting his name on the claim...ex wife..alimony..IRS...judicial judements..etc...its a common practice in mining to leave one of the partners name off the claim..especially if he is a scoundrel and the other partners dont want to be hooked to him in case he gets in trouble

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job of running down the claim papers. When the weather cools it would be nice to go out and see if we can locate the site of the strike and photograph it. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Nice job of running down the claim papers. When the weather cools it would be nice to go out and see if we can locate the site of the strike and photograph it. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

greg...according to the claim papers the claims are located about 1/4 mile south of govt well...if that is true then it might be on lewis's property....he has (or had) quite a few claims in the area...at one time he had 40 claims...he also has some patented ground there too...i know a guy that is partners on claims with lewis...if you want to go check them out when it cools off i might be able to get permission to poke around up there...until then we can continue research and see what else we can find

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dave: I will take you up on the offer. Maybe we can discuss it at Rendezvous this year. Cordially, Greg Davis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread