IF YOU FIND LDM WHERE DO YOU GO FROM THERE?

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy,

As I understand it, there were MANY people involved with exploiting the Pit Mine. One person could not have done it.

Mike

One person would have been lonely, more than four a crowd. ;)

(Few people will scuba dive below 60' when alone at night 25 miles from shore, but two guys together will have no problem. The only thing different; people are often 'stupider' (more inclined to take risks) when in the company of others.

Of course when the reward is great enough, the 'stupidity' of one person can raise to the level of two or more. ;) )
Large respect to all those Pit 'divers'.

Last edited:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
hooch is totally correct...you are not going to be able to work a hardrock mine on the wilderness...unless the ore has hunks of gold hanging off it..then you might be able to knock off a few pieces and pack it out....but sooner or later you will get far enough into the vein that you can no longer knock samples off with a pick

Well, I not sure about that with the LDM. He wouldn't have used powder after knowing that Indians would come into the area. His partner was killed by them, remember. Would it be a Hard Rock mine? Or a ledge in soft rock? If you believe his story about it being an 8 inch vein, you could do a lot with a pick. If it is Wilderness, you can't use motorized equipment. That doesn't mean you can't use a pick. Now if it is in a National Park, that is a whole different thing. National Park, Don't go off the trail. National Forest, go anywhere you want. National Forest Wilderness, go anywhere you are dumb enough to climb/hike/ride a horse to. Now the Forest Rangers will lie to you about prospecting in the National Forest, like you can't dig without a "Business Plan and a Bond", but "Recreational Mining" states that you can dig down one foot without a Plan or Bond. Read the rules and the laws yourself, don't trust Hearsay from those that don't want you out there looking. Just my 2 cents about Forest Ranges. Yes, I am a little bigoted on the subject. Had a few talks with rangers in the offices and the field. Never had a problem when they knew, I knew the rules.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Buddy,

As I understand it, there were MANY people involved with exploiting the Pit Mine. One person could not have done it.

Mike

Mike,

I suspect that the "Pit Mine" was simply a cache when it was worked in 1999. Don't really know, but believe that is more than possible.

Take care,

Joe

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

I suspect that the "Pit Mine" was simply a cache when it was worked in 1999. Don't really know, but believe that is more than possible.

Take care,

Joe

How did it go again ?
A number of men (4?) uncovered and worked that pit mine for three seasons, leaving a very large and deep open hole in the ground, along with tools, equipment, and lots of litter scattered around the site. Doesn't sound like they were simply looking for a "cache".

Regards:Wayne

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
About the LDM. He rode to it from Phoenix. Horse not walking. He would have to had a place with water enough for him and the horse and were there was feed for the horse. Remember he knew where he was going. So if you were to go loking, look for places that could have had water and grazing, it will not be far from there. It would have been close enough that he could move his horse to it to keep an eye on it while working "his mine". Now way back where was the water availible? That is the starting clue for his mine, IMO That should cut down on a lot of places "that might be it". Again IMO. Water location was the key to living out there and still is. Talk to old ranches about water holes and pools. Take a good map of the areas (7.5's or even Country Plat maps if possible), circle the areas on the maps and then eliminate the ones that would not make sense. Horses need lots of water, more than a man in that area. Water locations are the key to finding where he went.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

Take care,

Joe

Once again as I understand it, it was worked the Summer Months of 1997-98-99. If I recall correctly, the original pit was 90 feet deep, and was mined down to 300 feet. Doesn't sound like a cache to me? Don't think 1999 was the only year, as Chuck Kenworthy could not have bought that ore after he died. Now, The HEAT Dig at Roger's Spring could have been a cache?

Mike

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Once again as I understand it, it was worked the Summer Months of 1997-98-99. If I recall correctly, the original pit was 90 feet deep, and was mined down to 300 feet. Doesn't sound like a cache to me? Don't think 1999 was the only year, as Chuck Kenworthy could not have bought that ore after he died. Now, The HEAT Dig at Roger's Spring could have been a cache?

Mike

Mike,

Believe the Pit Mine started out as a real mine and pinched out fairly quickly.......like many Arizona mines. Super rich near the surface and pinches out at a relatively short distance. Believe this may be where the goodies were cached:

Photo by (Dave Leach)

No facts, just a guess.

Take care,

Joe

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT DOSE ONE DO ONCE HE FINDS THE MINE?? WHAT WOULD YOU DO? WHO WOULD YOU TELL AND WOULD YOU REPORT IT???

Already done.......

Who doesn't know where the mines lead to afterwards?....MONETA VA is one dot.....the other one is Bedford, VA

2stones.gif

They lead to the Omega right?

DPeraltaTrail.png

Yup that's in VA too......

Beale Omega MapStone Line.jpg

now that pesky code at the bottom

what could that mean?

BealePeraltaDates.jpg

Geez thats the same times that the Beale Hunting Party were mining gold and silver.....

Whole lotta that in the Supes I guess.....

8nP Brand.jpg

Cowboys have such an incredible system of coding dont they...their brands......so creative....

DragoonTJBZoom.jpg

TJB it looks like......would that be the 8 Bar n Bar P or the initials Thomas Jefferson Beale?

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could say that the Eye of the Needle is one source of conjecture....to find the mines that Waltz talked about.....

But most eyes are almond shaped, whereas the weaver's needle is really more like a finger in the air......

eye of the needle crop.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are all safe. I don't "do" wilderness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread