Alfred Lewis Discovery at the old Mammoth Mine 1949 - 1950

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In January of 1949 Alfred Strong Lewis a mining engineer discovered an old previously unknown Spanish / Mexican excavation on the grounds of the old Mammoth Mine at Goldfield.

With partners, Hugh Nickols, Charles Waterbury, Tom Russell and Ted Sliger they formed Goldfield Mines Inc. and took $50,000 in gold from the discovery before breaking into a tunnel of the Charles Hall section of the Mammoth Mine. At that point the vein was lost and all mining came to a halt.

A detailed examination of the Lewis discovery was done by Charles H. Dunning, the Director of the Arizona State Department of Mineral Resources on February 4, 1949.

His official report and findings are among the most astounding and fascinating facts of early mining in the area of the Superstition Mountains.

Posted here is Dunning's 3 page report. I have a copy of that report given to me by Lewis's wife's family. The scanning of that report to upload is blurry so it is transcribed below.

For anyone who is a serious enthusiast of Spanish / Mexican mining in Arizona and the LDM this report is unparalleled.

Lewis Dunning Report 1.jpg
Dunning Report page 1

Lewis Dunning Report 2.jpg
Dunning Report page 2

Lewis Dunning Report 3.jpg
Dunning Report page 3

Transcript Of Dunning's 3 page report.

STATEMENT OF CHAS. H. DUNNING, DIRECTOR OF THE ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF MINERAL RESOUNCES, REGARDING THE DISCOVERY OF AN OLD MINE WORKING AT GOLDFIELD.

I have inspected the working on two occasions at the request of Mr. Alfred Lewis and Mr. Tom Russell and it appears to be a true “Antigua” or mine opening that antecedes recorded history. The discovery was made within a stone’s throw of the old Goldfield Mine workings which are reported to have produced over a million dollars in gold, but it apparently is not connected with those workings and seemingly was entirely unknown to the operators of the Goldfield.

One must visualize a vein formation or mineralized zone somewhat over 100 feet in width running parallel to a prominent wash and extending partly into or under the wash and partly along its bank. At one point, a small promontory of the rather hard quartzose vein material just cut into the wash and forms a steep bank. In the wash, close to this cliff, Lewis discovered an ancient cribbed shaft dipping out under the wash at an angle of about 70 degrees.

The working was discovered accidentally but not without sensible reason. The little promontory of vein matter carried quartz stringers showing only low values on the surface. Lewis felt that these stringers might become higher grade with a little depth, so he planned to sink down in the wash a short distance and then crosscut back into the hard wall. About two feet below the wash level he began to encounter old ironwood logs, and a little deeper these took shape as a cribbed (like a log cabin) chute or shaft, completely filled with wash material.

The state of the opening inside of the timbering was only about 18 x 36 inches – too small to work in – so Lewis had to tear out the cribbing on the lower side to make room to excavate further. The fill on the underside of the cribbing extended a short distance to a wall which approximately followed the dip of the shaft. By excavating out to the wall, Lewis gave himself enough room to work while still leaving three sides of the cribbing intact.

It soon became evident that the wall had been the limit of an old mining excavation, and the area in the vicinity of the shaft was a mined out and filled area. Tool marks on the wall show that it had been sealed off, and remnants of quartz sampled by Tom Russell assayed $40.00 per ton in gold.

The fill on the outside of the cribbing had been carefully placed by hand even to rocks being chinked in between the logs. This fill material is such as might have come from a mine working waste dump after the high-grade had been extracted, and was not wash material. Inside the cribbing the fill is entirely wash material such as would fill any opening if a cover over the opening had given way and a flood had taken place.

All crib timbering was done with heavy ironwood logs – some of them 10” in diameter. Occasional pieces of completely rotted mesquite are encountered in the inside fill, indicating that a cover or bulkhead of this material had been used, and later had rotted away permitting a flood to fill the shaft.

At the present writing, Lewis has excavated about 25 feet and the timbering and fill is continuing.

It is impossible to accurately estimate the age of the timbering but it is no doubt very old. All bark and an outer layer of the ironwood has disintegrated, and even mesquite will last a long time in a mine. A section of one of the ironwood logs was taken to the tree ring laboratory at the University of Arizona but they advised that it was impossible to determine its age.

If the work was done with the idea of concealment, one could scarcely imagine a more thorough job. The timbering was done for permanency and at a great expenditure of labor. And it must have been done from the bottom up, precluding any idea of a “prospect” shaft. It then stopped abruptly a couple of feet below the wash level where a log cover could be overlain with wash gravel, some brush dragged over it, and the first rain would obliterate all traces. Its relation to the promontory is such that floods down the creek would tend to pile more gravel on top of it instead of exposing it. If one planned to come back in a reasonable time there would be no use making the cover of ironwood, but if one planned to have the shaft itself intact, indefinitely, the ironwood cribbing would be ideal.

The formation is one in which it is reasonable to expect high grade gold pockets and if the Spaniards, or the Dutchman, or whoever it was, found such an outcrop, mined it down from the surface, and then wished to leave it for a while but conceal it, there could be no more perfect way than to put in such a cribbed opening for access, fill in around it and cover it over.

The answer to most high-grade gold pockets and lost mines is that they were small and worked out, and that may be the answer in this case. But the nature of the work indicates that it is a true “Antigua” and that it was cleverly arranged for concealment.

Signed
February 4, 1949 Chas. H. Dunning, Director Dept. of Mineral Resources

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
In January of 1949 Alfred Strong Lewis a mining engineer discovered an old previously unknown Spanish / Mexican excavation on the grounds of the old Mammoth Mine at Goldfield.

With partners, Hugh Nickols, Charles Waterbury, Tom Russell and Ted Sliger they formed Goldfield Mines Inc. and took $50,000 in gold from the discovery before breaking into a tunnel of the Charles Hall section of the Mammoth Mine. At that point the vein was lost and all mining came to a halt.

A detailed examination of the Lewis discovery was done by Charles H. Dunning, the Director of the Arizona State Department of Mineral Resources on February 4, 1949.

His official report and findings are among the most astounding and fascinating facts of early mining in the area of the Superstition Mountains.

Posted here is Dunning's 3 page report. I have a copy of that report given to me by Lewis's wife's family. The scanning of that report to upload is blurry so it is transcribed below.

For anyone who is a serious enthusiast of Spanish / Mexican mining in Arizona and the LDM this report is unparalleled.

View attachment 1550737
Dunning Report page 1

View attachment 1550738
Dunning Report page 2

View attachment 1550739
Dunning Report page 3

Transcript Of Dunning's 3 page report.

STATEMENT OF CHAS. H. DUNNING, DIRECTOR OF THE ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF MINERAL RESOUNCES, REGARDING THE DISCOVERY OF AN OLD MINE WORKING AT GOLDFIELD.

I have inspected the working on two occasions at the request of Mr. Alfred Lewis and Mr. Tom Russell and it appears to be a true “Antigua” or mine opening that antecedes recorded history. The discovery was made within a stone’s throw of the old Goldfield Mine workings which are reported to have produced over a million dollars in gold, but it apparently is not connected with those workings and seemingly was entirely unknown to the operators of the Goldfield.

One must visualize a vein formation or mineralized zone somewhat over 100 feet in width running parallel to a prominent wash and extending partly into or under the wash and partly along its bank. At one point, a small promontory of the rather hard quartzose vein material just cut into the wash and forms a steep bank. In the wash, close to this cliff, Lewis discovered an ancient cribbed shaft dipping out under the wash at an angle of about 70 degrees.

The working was discovered accidentally but not without sensible reason. The little promontory of vein matter carried quartz stringers showing only low values on the surface. Lewis felt that these stringers might become higher grade with a little depth, so he planned to sink down in the wash a short distance and then crosscut back into the hard wall. About two feet below the wash level he began to encounter old ironwood logs, and a little deeper these took shape as a cribbed (like a log cabin) chute or shaft, completely filled with wash material.

The state of the opening inside of the timbering was only about 18 x 36 inches – too small to work in – so Lewis had to tear out the cribbing on the lower side to make room to excavate further. The fill on the underside of the cribbing extended a short distance to a wall which approximately followed the dip of the shaft. By excavating out to the wall, Lewis gave himself enough room to work while still leaving three sides of the cribbing intact.

It soon became evident that the wall had been the limit of an old mining excavation, and the area in the vicinity of the shaft was a mined out and filled area. Tool marks on the wall show that it had been sealed off, and remnants of quartz sampled by Tom Russell assayed $40.00 per ton in gold.

The fill on the outside of the cribbing had been carefully placed by hand even to rocks being chinked in between the logs. This fill material is such as might have come from a mine working waste dump after the high-grade had been extracted, and was not wash material. Inside the cribbing the fill is entirely wash material such as would fill any opening if a cover over the opening had given way and a flood had taken place.

All crib timbering was done with heavy ironwood logs – some of them 10” in diameter. Occasional pieces of completely rotted mesquite are encountered in the inside fill, indicating that a cover or bulkhead of this material had been used, and later had rotted away permitting a flood to fill the shaft.

At the present writing, Lewis has excavated about 25 feet and the timbering and fill is continuing.

It is impossible to accurately estimate the age of the timbering but it is no doubt very old. All bark and an outer layer of the ironwood has disintegrated, and even mesquite will last a long time in a mine. A section of one of the ironwood logs was taken to the tree ring laboratory at the University of Arizona but they advised that it was impossible to determine its age.

If the work was done with the idea of concealment, one could scarcely imagine a more thorough job. The timbering was done for permanency and at a great expenditure of labor. And it must have been done from the bottom up, precluding any idea of a “prospect” shaft. It then stopped abruptly a couple of feet below the wash level where a log cover could be overlain with wash gravel, some brush dragged over it, and the first rain would obliterate all traces. Its relation to the promontory is such that floods down the creek would tend to pile more gravel on top of it instead of exposing it. If one planned to come back in a reasonable time there would be no use making the cover of ironwood, but if one planned to have the shaft itself intact, indefinitely, the ironwood cribbing would be ideal.

The formation is one in which it is reasonable to expect high grade gold pockets and if the Spaniards, or the Dutchman, or whoever it was, found such an outcrop, mined it down from the surface, and then wished to leave it for a while but conceal it, there could be no more perfect way than to put in such a cribbed opening for access, fill in around it and cover it over.

The answer to most high-grade gold pockets and lost mines is that they were small and worked out, and that may be the answer in this case. But the nature of the work indicates that it is a true “Antigua” and that it was cleverly arranged for concealment.

Signed
February 4, 1949 Chas. H. Dunning, Director Dept. of Mineral Resources
nice post matthew

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first date might be off? Or did he really accomplish all that in a month?

You need to carefully read the Dunning Report again.

Lewis makes the discovery in January 1949.

Dunning views the site in February 1949. At this point Lewis has just begun to excavate the first few feet of the tunnel.

After the Dunning Report was written is when Lewis and his partners formed their Mining Company and took out the gold ore.

Everything ended sometime in the late summer of 1950 when Lewis broke into an old tunnel of the Mammoth Mine.

Lewis then himself died in the fall of 1950.

Nowhere in the post or Dunning's report does it indicate everything occurred between January and February of 1949. That is your misinterpretation of the events.

Best,

Matthew

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
that entire area along apache trail has produced many pounds of gold...a couple mines are still producing

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Thanks for the clarification. Didn't seem right so I asked! So the lost mine could be any of these holes assosiated with that area, and has been found!

Could be, after all the Lost Dutchman's mine has been found over 200 times already! So you can set your mind at ease.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
so what keeps you looking?

Who said I am looking? I merely ask for anyone that is claiming to have found the LDM to provide some scientific proof of having accomplished the fact, rather than just stories, Google Earth photos etc. An ore comparison (which I am sure many will take issue with) can provide this kind of scientific proof, but no one seems to bother to take that step. Can you tell me why that is?

Also, even if the LDM never existed at all, just by going out and searching, a good prospector or lucky man or woman might just happen upon a rich gold or silver mine, not perhaps the famous LDM they were seeking, but one rich enough to set you up for life financially. More than one good gold mine has been found over the years by people out searching for a famous lost mine, which unfortunately was not the famous lost mine but rich enough in gold anyway. Yet for nearly all of our over 200 people that have claimed to have found the LDM in over 200 different places, it seems much more important to get everyone to believe that they found the LDM than to get the gold which would make them wealthy enough. To me that makes no sense, and in my opinion it would not matter what name the mine is called, if it has plenty of gold, I could not care less if it was the LDM or the lost Adams or the Pink Bunny Slippers mine, since it is the gold I am after anyway. I hope I have answered your question.

So what keeps you trying to discourage everyone from looking?

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Everything ended sometime in the late summer of 1950 when Lewis broke into an old tunnel of the Mammoth Mine.

That reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me. He picked up a hitchhiker back in the 90's that had been working in a silver mine in Colorado. The guy had nothing left as he had rented an apartment, rented funishings while working the mine.
"What Happened?" "We were digging the shaft and put the pick right through the wall into another mine." "No more silver, no more money so I am going back home".
That happened more than once even to Tombstone, The mines were so interconnected that when they hit the underground river, it flooded the entire mining in the mountain. It has been tried to puimp it out twice that I heard of, but the water flow was so strong that even newer more power pumps could not expose the bottom of the shafts to allow mining the silver again.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Who said I am looking? I merely ask for anyone that is claiming to have found the LDM to provide some scientific proof of having accomplished the fact, rather than just stories, Google Earth photos etc. An ore comparison (which I am sure many will take issue with) can provide this kind of scientific proof, but no one seems to bother to take that step. Can you tell me why that is?

Also, even if the LDM never existed at all, just by going out and searching, a good prospector or lucky man or woman might just happen upon a rich gold or silver mine, not perhaps the famous LDM they were seeking, but one rich enough to set you up for life financially. More than one good gold mine has been found over the years by people out searching for a famous lost mine, which unfortunately was not the famous lost mine but rich enough in gold anyway. Yet for nearly all of our over 200 people that have claimed to have found the LDM in over 200 different places, it seems much more important to get everyone to believe that they found the LDM than to get the gold which would make them wealthy enough. To me that makes no sense, and in my opinion it would not matter what name the mine is called, if it has plenty of gold, I could not care less if it was the LDM or the lost Adams or the Pink Bunny Slippers mine, since it is the gold I am after anyway. I hope I have answered your question.

I'll start thinking about an ore comparison just as soon as you provide the standard to which such compariaon is to be made.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
I'll start thinking about an ore comparison just as soon as you provide the standard to which such compariaon is to be made.

I see that you neglected to answer my rather simple and straightforward question for you, an oversight perhaps? I will repeat the question, and will be happy to answer your question as soon as you answer mine. It is only common courtesy after all.

Thank you in advance,

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that you neglected to answer my rather simple and straightforward question for you, an oversight perhaps? I will repeat the question, and will be happy to answer your question as soon as you answer mine. It is only common courtesy after all.

Thank you in advance,

Your question is based on a false premise therefore not worthy of answer.

Your turn amigo

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other

Well here you go Oroblanco, but you woun't believe it and ask the same question again next month.

IMG_1868.JPG

This come from the same ore I posted, That paper it's on is a standard size 8.5x 11 copy paper.
12.4 oz just got back 10 days ago with about 600 pounds of ore to bust up yet.

Here's to not believing I guess. And it's not in California white Quarts.

babymick1

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Well here you go Oroblanco, but you woun't believe it and ask the same question again next month.

View attachment 1562356

This come from the same ore I posted, That paper it's on is a standard size 8.5x 11 copy paper.

babymick1

Looks like it came out of a dredge to me...where u been Mick, I missed you...come on brother, show us a pic of that pretty rose quartz!

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

View attachment 1562356

babymick1
Well a lot of it looks like 10K and below, but the bigger nuggets look more like 14K to 18K. Not bad though. Good work.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

View attachment 1562356

babymick1
:icon_scratch:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Your question is based on a false premise therefore not worthy of answer.

Your turn amigo

Poor attempt to dodge a simple question, so since you can't be bothered to give an honest answer, I can't be bothered to tell you where to look for the ore comparison. Find it yourself.

Babymick congratulations on your great gold mine, hope you are making millions. I don't understand why you bother trying to get me to believe that you have the LDM, when you have no respect for my word on anything anyway. Besides, the only opinion that matters is your own right? And since you are rolling in gold, does it even matter what name your mine is called?

My word doesn't carry that much weight Mick, it won't even get you a cold beer at Captain's in AJ. And even if I stared at your photos under a microscope and compared them to the photos of the famous matchbox, the cuff links etc, I am not a geologist - I could be fooled. Oh I have learned some of geology over the years but am still very much a student, you would be better off to get a real geologist to do an ore comparison, if you were really serious about wanting to PROVE that you have found the Lost Dutchman's gold mine. If you can convince guys like Tom Kollenborn, Clay Wurst and Bob Corbin that your mine is the LDM, that will carry a LOT of weight. But you are wasting your time on me. My blessing won't get you anywhere.

I will tell you this - check your own assays, if they are coming out similar to the one done by Joe Porterie, you are possibly in the ballpark. That won't seal the deal but it would help your case. Look for a high gold to silver ratio - if there is a LOT of silver to the amount of gold, then chances are your gold is not coming from the Lost Dutchman mine. It should be in the range of 300 to 1, that is at least 300 ounces of gold to 1 ounce of silver. Not specifically 300 oz per ton AU, that RATIO is important to keep in mind. More silver than that is pointing to a different type of gold deposit entirely.

Good luck and good hunting to you all, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Poor attempt to dodge a simple question, so since you can't be bothered to give an honest answer, I can't be bothered to tell you where to look for the ore comparison. Find it yourself.

Babymick congratulations on your great gold mine, hope you are making millions. I don't understand why you bother trying to get me to believe that you have the LDM, when you have no respect for my word on anything anyway. Besides, the only opinion that matters is your own right? And since you are rolling in gold, does it even matter what name your mine is called?

My word doesn't carry that much weight Mick, it won't even get you a cold beer at Captain's in AJ. And even if I stared at your photos under a microscope and compared them to the photos of the famous matchbox, the cuff links etc, I am not a geologist - I could be fooled. Oh I have learned some of geology over the years but am still very much a student, you would be better off to get a real geologist to do an ore comparison, if you were really serious about wanting to PROVE that you have found the Lost Dutchman's gold mine. If you can convince guys like Tom Kollenborn, Clay Wurst and Bob Corbin that your mine is the LDM, that will carry a LOT of weight. But you are wasting your time on me. My blessing won't get you anywhere.

I will tell you this - check your own assays, if they are coming out similar to the one done by Joe Porterie, you are possibly in the ballpark. That won't seal the deal but it would help your case. Look for a high gold to silver ratio - if there is a LOT of silver to the amount of gold, then chances are your gold is not coming from the Lost Dutchman mine. It should be in the range of 300 to 1, that is at least 300 ounces of gold to 1 ounce of silver. Not specifically 300 oz per ton AU, that RATIO is important to keep in mind. More silver than that is pointing to a different type of gold deposit entirely.

Good luck and good hunting to you all, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

i'd say the first lesson mick needs to learn is how to tell the difference between lode gold and placer gold..the pic he posted is definitely placer gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread