Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sims Ely's "The Lost Dutchman Mine"...

Started reading a 1954 copy of Ely's book on the LDM and as I run into questions/comments, I thought I'd post here for answers or discussion.

1. Ely comments that Adolph Ruth went to the Bark Ranch in an attempt to find someone(s) to pack him into the mountains. Up until this point, I think every story I've read (admittedly not that many) says that 2 cowhands took him into the mountains, but Ely says 2 other prospectors (no names) that happened to be there at the time packed him in.

Any evidence of who these 2 guys were?

I would think that if it's a possibility that Ruth was killed by whoever packed him in (for whatever maps and information he may have had), 2 prospectors would have alot more motive than 2 cowhands.

Was a police report ever made/discovered regarding Ruth's disappearance with questions to the people that packed him in?

2. Ely mentions that an Arizona newspaper sent a group in which eventually found Ruth's skull. I thought I had read in numerous places that Brownie Holmes was a part of that group, but he's not listed in Ely's story here - what's up with that?

3. Contrary to other reports in other stories again, Ely says that the skull was sent to a branch of the Smithsonian Institute to be examined by a staff anthropoligist who firmly believed the holes in the skull were the results of bullets - likely .44 or .45 caliber. I've seen reports that say nothing was ever sent anywhere - that only the skeletal remains were sent and the investigator believed the death was from natural causes (seems odd to me that you could determine that without seeing the skull if in fact there were holes which - whether from bullet holes or head trauma - might be the cause of death), etc... what story seems to be the true one?

4. I'm really confused on something else Ely wrote in regards to Jim Bark and an investment banker named Devereaux. It has little to do with the LDM, but I just don't "get" the gist of one of Ely's comments.

Without typing in the whole quote, basically at one point Bark took Devereaux out to a potential prospecting site he knew about and was showing the guy how to pan for gold. The story goes that he crushed enough rock to allow the guy to pan, but at one point slipped a $5 gold coin into the gravel. He goes on to say that Devereaux continued panning, discovered the coin and slipped it into his pocket without saying a word. Neither men spoke about it on their return trip either, but Ely says here... "but thenceforth it was evident that Devereaux had won Jim's respect."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how in the world does taking the gold coin and not saying anything about it win the respect of the person who put it in there? Either Devereaux was an idiot and when he saw the coin, believed that he had actually panned it from the rocks (in which case his slipping it into his pocket and not saying anything was pretty selfish and slimey), or he guessed Bark had put it in there right away, but still pocketed it and didn't say anything which to me would also be a very odd response. Why would anything he did have earned great respect from Bark?

On to chapter 3 tonight - thanks, and I don't expect anyone to give me direct answers to the above questions if they are things that people have spent exhaustive research time and money on answering themselves. They're just things that strike me as I'm reading is all.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Re: Sims Ely's "The Lost Dutchman Mine"...

Cubfan,

Not much action on your questions, so I will try to answer them as best I can.

1. L.F. Purnell and Jack Keenan were both. They were part time cowboys and part time prospectors, depending on their moods......I suppose. Both men were questioned by the police.

2. Ely's book was written with the help of Jim Bark's notes or possibly his manuscript. Not everyone knows that he had notes, for his personal use, and also had a manuscript that was going to be used for a book. What most of us get, is the manuscript.

Jim Bark believed that Dick Holmes stole the box of ore from under Waltz's deathbed. That ore, rightfully, should have gone to Julia Thomas. Bark would not even speak the Holmes name after that, because of the shame he associated with the theft. Bark was not alone in that belief.

3. The skull was sent to Dr. Ales Hrdlicka by Odd Halseth, who was the archaeologist in the party that found Ruth's skull. In his sworn statement dated January, 1932, Dr. Hrdlicka stated "with reasonable certainty" that the skull he examined "is that of Adolph Ruth". He also stated in that same document: "....indicate a strong probability that the man was shot to death by a high powered gun.....".

4. I suppose you need to be a certain breed of man, or from the Southwest to understand the humor and respect that came out of that whole episode. Bark was playing a joke on Devereaux, a city slicker, and Devereaux reversed it by pocketing the coin, and not saying a word. Both men appreciated the humor of the entire byplay.

All of this information can be found in Dr. Glover's first book, and in "Superstition Mountain:
A ride through Time" by, Tom Kollenborn. Read.....read....read. :)

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

djui5 said:
Bit of info on Ruth can be found in this article I wrote. First article on this page ;) :

http://www.thelostdutchman.net/searcherscluesmaps.html

Thanks DJ - pretty neat experience to follow in the footsteps of something you've spent alot of time researching. I've always enjoyed contemplating the history behind places I visit and the people who were there first.

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CJ - thanks for answering my questions! I knew there were some who believed the ore under Waltz's bed was stolen, but I didn't know Bark was one that was adamant enough about it that he wouldn't even comment on the name Holmes - so Brownie was definitely present when they found Ruth's skull (which explains the picture of course :P).

Thanks also for clarifying the "respect for Devereaux" question I had. Looking at it the way you described, I can see where it had it's own touch of humor and how the 2 men might develop respect for one another out of it. I knew it was Bark playing a joke on Devereaux, but I sorta thought Devereaux would "turn it around on Bark" by making some comment like "well looky here, the gold even comes out of the ground already minted" as he put it in his pocket and then wink at Bark or something. Just a different sense of humor I guess :)

I'm doing my best to read all I can - I actually need to take more notes as I read though. I think what I'll do is just read a few things to get a good basic story and then go back through reading them again more carefully and take notes to compare and contrast stories.

One thing that struck me regarding Ruth's death is this quote I found from Tom Kollenborn:

"Ruth’s skull was found on December 10, 1931, and Dr. Ales Hrdlicka examined it on December 19, 1931. Dr. Hrdlicka said on that day that he could not be positive the skull had bullet holes in it.

Irwin Ruth, Adolph’s son, was convinced his father had been murdered in the mountains. Hrdlicka listened to Irwin Ruth talk about possible foul play. Hrdlicka then changed his original statement and said murder was possible, but he never signed the original statement drawn up by Olive S. Taylor stating the possibility of foul play.

Dr. Hrdlicka was a physical anthropologist and not a forensic pathologist. He very much lacked the professional training to determine if the holes in Ruth’s skull were bullet holes.

The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Department had the skeletal remains examined by two doctors in Phoenix. Both doctors reported there were no signs of foul play. They did not examine the skull, but the doctors were convinced Ruth died from the extreme conditions he tried to endure in the desert.
"

I guess I can understand the skepticism regarding Dr. Hrdlicka's ability to distinguish between a bullet hole and head trauma (or even damage done by animals after he had been dead for awhile). What strikes me though is how on earth 2 doctors could examine the skeletal remains MINUS THE SKULL and come to the conclusion that Ruth died of natural causes. I'm obviously not a forensic expert either, but if you see a hole in a skull, wouldn't that be the obvious skeletal part you would want checked by experts for foul play?

Ok - back to reading - you guys keep giving me more fricking books and manuscripts to read!!! ;)

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI loosing team fan: I certainly do not know, in fact, i haven't even read the entire available data on the LDM, but, being an onry Irishman, I will stick my big nose into the thread a give my a few of my impressions any way. etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I suppose you need to be a certain breed of man, or from the Southwest to understand the humor and respect that came out of that whole episode. Bark was playing a joke on Devereaux, a city slicker, and Devereaux reversed it by pocketing the coin, and not saying a word. Both men appreciated the humor of the entire byplay
~~~~~~~~~~~
I can understand this bit of humor perfectly, in fact I have done it myself as probably many in here have. Each knew that the other was playing. hehehe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He also stated in that same document: "....indicate a strong probability that the man was shot to death by a high powered gun....."
~~~~~~~~~~~
Even an amateur can tell the difference between a high powered projectile and a low powered one penetrating a skull.. In the 30's a typical lead pistol projectile at around 800 fps may or may not exit, and the fracturing /fragmentation would be far different than for say for a 30 30 @ 2400 fps, which was popular then.

As for the skull being separated from the body, animals often do this. I once had a coyote carry my gasoline stove off. I had to track him for over 400 meters to get my stove back and cook my breakfast.

In so far as a simple hole in the skull, that would depend upon several factors, ex. were the edges of the hole partially grown over or healed, or were they newly formed? This is apart from any fragmentation. This can be fun.

Whatever DJUI is for, I am against! VIVA VILLA!

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi loosing team fan

Hey there - I'm a long suffering fan from the 1960's - cut me some slack :) My blood runs Cubbie blue - it runs way too often from deep wounds, but I refuse to quit until they finally win one!!

Thanks for the responses - just got back from a 3 day weekend up north hiking, kayaking and white water rafting. I decided next year I need to spend a few weeks getting into shape before my younger brother comes to visit - he's gonna get me killed one of these years :)

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Cubfan,

"Ruth’s skull was found on December 10, 1931, and Dr. Ales Hrdlicka examined it on December 19, 1931. Dr. Hrdlicka said on that day that he could not be positive the skull had bullet holes in it."

Can you tell me where you found this quote?

Thanks,

Joe

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Started on Curt Gentry's "The Killer Mountains." It's fascinating to really start getting in depth on a "lost treasure story" - there are SO many differences - some small, some large in the many different stories.

My goal right now is just to read 2-3 stories and then re-read them taking notes as I go along to cross reference information and see where it all leads - I'm reinventing the wheel I know that since I'm sure all of this has been done hundreds of times by other folks, but it's part of the fun of researching it.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Cubfan,

As you travel down this dusty trail, you will find many of the stories having subtle lines of connection. Often, it seems like the person telling the story just finished reading someone Else's.

Many a late night is in your future. ;)

This years Rendezvous seems to be shaping up as the biggest and best yet. If I were someone just starting out, I would definitely find a way to attend.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cactusjumper said:
Cubfan,

As you travel down this dusty trail, you will find many of the stories having subtle lines of connection. Often, it seems like the person telling the story just finished reading someone Else's.

Many a late night is in your future. ;)

This years Rendezvous seems to be shaping up as the biggest and best yet. If I were someone just starting out, I would definitely find a way to attend.

Take care,

Joe

From the little I've read so far, I believe what you say. I'm seriously looking into seeing if I can attend the get together - it would be pretty cool to be near some of the places I'm reading about.

Gotta see if I can talk to wife into it.

Back to reading :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread