chuck in jail

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
During 1978 there was an incident between Chuck Crawford and his wife Dorothy. For legal reasons Chuck gave his version in a tape recorded statement. According to him the incident resulted from Dorothy writing bad checks. She had written numerous bad checks at different places around town. When Chuck found out he sold a gun and used some of the money to cover a bad check. The same evening his wife wrote another bad check at the restaurant where they had dinner. Chuck and Dorothy got into a dispute about the bad checks at the restaurant and again at home. Dorothy hit Chuck with things like plates, cups, and ash trays; some of them striking Chuck in the head. Chuck slapped Dorothy around. Who started it depends on which one of them your asking. Dorothy’s young daughter called the Sheriff’s Department from a neighbor’s home. When Deputies arrived, Chuck and Dorothy were struggling over a gun. After speaking to Chuck and then Dorothy, the Deputies arrested Chuck and took him to jail, where he remained from December 15, 1978 until January 4, 1979
The following is a June 25, 1979 letter from Dr. Moczynski to Chuck's lawyer Mr. Susman about injuries Chuck received at the hands of the jailers while Chuck was incarcerated, and about Chuck selling jewelry.
Attention: Alan H. Susman
RE: CRAWFORD , Charles M.

Dear Mr. Susman:
I first saw Mr. Crawford in my office on February 26, 1979, At that tine, he presented with a history of having sustained an injury to his thoracolumbar spine on December 19, 1978. At that time, he was an inmate at the Pinal County Jail and was experiencing difficulties with black-outs as a result of being hit on the side of the head. He stated that he apparently blacked out and was being carried from the jail on a stretcher and was apparently dropped several times from the stretcher. He was then placed in the back of a car and taken to the Pinal County Hospital. He had complaints both of back pain and blacking-out at that time. The patient did state that he had a previous history of back trouble in 1967., with a history of whiplash and pain in the low back and the thoracolumbar spine area. He also has had head aches and pain in that area since that injury.
His symptoms on February 26, 1979, were those of a constant pain, of a dull aching nature in the lower thoracic and upper lumbar spine area. He also complained of an occasional shooting pain, which was quite sharp, with radiation up the spine to the neck and into the head. He had difficulty sleeping and found no comfortable position in which to sleep. He stated that he was taking Tylenol for his discomfort with some relief. He also stated that he was a gold mine operator, and he had been unable to work in his gold mine because of the pain and was now selling jewelry. He stated that his pain would radiate to the right hip occasi0llally, but never any further than the right hip. He stated that prolonged sitting and standing did increase his pain, as did bending and lifting. He had no complaints, however, of numbness or weakness of the lower extremities. He noted no increase of his discomfort with coughing and sneezing, and his symptoms were not relieved by rest. He complained of only being able to sleep a few hours per night. He had no symptoms of bowel or bladder problems, but did give a history of an ulcer that was apparently aggravated during his recent discomfort.On physical examination, he walked without an apparent list or a limp, and could heel and toe walk without difficulty. He could attain a squat position without any apparent discomfort. On range of motion of the lumbar spine, he could touch his fingertips to the level of the tibial tubercle with flexion. He had good lateral flexion and good lateral rotation and extension. Straight leg raising was to 90-degrees in a sitting position bilaterally, but was limited to 70-degrees bilaterally in the supine position. There was no sensory or motor deficit noted in the lower extremities, and the deep tendon reflexes were bilaterally symmetrical at the knees, the ankles, and the posterior tibials.
X-ray examination revealed a mild scoliosis of the thoracic spine with no apparent evidence of fracture, dislocation or any other anatomic abnormalities.
It was my feeling at that tine that the patient was having symptoms of a thoracolumbar strain, but at that time had no evidence of adiculopathy and no evidence of any bony pathology, and that he would respond to conservative care, consisting of exercises and muscle relaxants.
He failed to keep his next appointment on March 21, 1979.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
The following is a letter dated November 21, 1979 from Chuck’s attorney Alan H. Susman to the Pinal County Board of Supervisors summarizing the events of Chuck incarceration and injuries.
Dear Mr. Mathiason:
As you are aware, this firm represents Charles Crawford in connection with a claim for damages he has against Pinal County. Under date of October 9, 1979, I sent you a letter requesting the name of your insurance carrier. I have received no response to that correspondence and am assuming you have no intention of providing the information.
In any event, Mr. Crawford was incarcerated on December 15, 1978, in the Pinal County Jail under Booking Number 37076. Mr. Crawford was charged with disorderly conduct and held in lieu of $1,120 bond which was set by Justice of the Peace Perry Davis. The arrest and incarceration occurred after a dispute in which Mr. Crawford was injured. At the time of his arrest Mr. Crawford was suffering from injuries to his head.
Upon his incarceration Mr. Crawford immediately notified the deputies and officers of the Pinal County 'Sheriff's Department of his medical problems. He requested that he receive medical assistance but his requests were denied. On or about December 18, 1978, Mr. Crawford suffered a partial black-out as a result of the injuries he previously sustained. At this time deputies of the Pinal County Sheriff's Department determined that they would transfer Mr. Crawford to the Pinal General Hospital. It is our understanding that when Mr. Crawford was transported from the County Jail he was dropped from the stretcher and suffered additional injuries.

Mr. Crawford was seen by Dr. Michael Monte at the Pinal General Hospital and treated for the injuries he sustained. After Mr. Crawford was released from incarceration on January 4, 1979, he was seen by additional physicians for treatment of the injuries he sustained and the lack of care that he received at the Pinal County Jail.
Dr. Gerald C. Moczynski after examining Mr. Crawford was of the opinion that he had suffered a thoracolumbar strain. Mr. Crawford had complaints of both back pain and the black-outs.
As a result of the negligence by the Sheriff's Department and the failure to provide timely medical care, Mr. Crawford suffered the above related injuries and continued to suffer from those injuries for a long period of time. As a direct and proximate result of the treatment at the Pinal County Jail, Mr. Crawford sustained medical bills from the various physicians and hospitals that he went to.
It is our further understanding that the negligent treatment by the Pinal County Sheriff's Department was witnesses by other individuals incarcerated along with Mr. Crawford. It should also be noted that the failure of the Pinal County Sheriff's Department to provide adequate medical care was a violation of Mr. Crawford's civil rights under Title 42, USCA §1983.
At the present time Mr. Crawford's injuries appear to have stabilized and we are in a position to discuss an ultimate settlement of his claim.
Accordingly, demand is hereby made upon you for the sum of $50,000.00 representing fair and reasonable compensation for the injuries sustained as a result of the negligence of the Pinal County Sheriff's Department.
This demand for payment and offer of settlement is not an admission by Mr. Crawford of the total damages he sustained.
This offer of settlement will remain open to you for a period of ten (10) days from receipt by you of this letter. If we have not had any response from you within that time period we will have no alternative but to proceed with civil litigation to recover for the injuries sustained by Mr. Crawford.
If additional information is needed you can obtain copies of the hospital records and medical reports from Dr. Monte at the Pinal County Hospital.
Additionally, you may feel free to contact me to discuss any additional information that I may have.
Very truly yours
Schwartz & Susman P.A.
Alan H. Susman

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing Pinal County didn't pay that settlement - did it ever go to trial of any sort?

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
i'm sure i have that info here somewhere..when i run across it i'll definitely post it

chuck was involved in a few lawsuits...he even sued the government to prove the existence of platinum in arizona..i should have the transcript of the trial

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
July 25, 1980
Alan H. Susman, Esq. Schwartz and Susman, P.A. 1580 Arizona Bank Building 101 North First Avenue Phoenix, Arizona 85003
Re:
Crawford v. Pinal County, et al
Dear Alan:
I presume that by now you have seen the Deposition of your client.
It is my impression from that Deposition that your client has no cause of action against any of the Defendants whom he sued. Thus, I respectfully request that you conference with client, and encourage him to dismiss his suit against these Defendants with prejudice.
In the event that your client is not willing to dismiss his suit, then we are faced with the reality of further preparation, at least from our point of view. This will involve going to Florence and deposing all of the people to whom your client made reference in his Deposition, regarding the facts leading up to his arrest, the people he spoke with or claims to have spoken with at the Pinal County Jail, and, of course, deposing the various doctors involved. Further, it would be my inclination at this point to go to Florence and take the Deposition of your client's wife or ex-wife, whichever the case may be.
If the Deposition costs themselves, the court reporter appearance fees and transcription fees, and the professional fees, and travel expenses and subsistence expenses are allowed to be run up in this matter, as the preparation of this case certainly would necessitate then at the end of it all we would be faced with a huge bill for our costs in this matter.
For your client's information, my client is unwilling to go through trial, obtain a defense verdict, and lay the matter to rest. Instead, it is my client's direction to me to obtain a defense verdict if this matter progresses any further, and to go after your client for all of our costs. Of course, I would so proceed.
Therefore, I have been instructed to make the following offer to you: that you and your client dismiss this lawsuit with prejudice against all Defendants, and that in return for same, we will absorb our costs to date, and no further action will be taken by us.
Would you please discuss these matters with your client and please advise me accordingly. Thank you very much for your kind attention hereto.
Very truly yours,
John Ellsworth

The following is a letter form Chuck’s lawyer to Chuck informing him of Mr. Ellsworth’s response and advising Chuck as what to do.
Mr. Charles Crawford
1251 North Miller Road Scottsdale, Arizona 85257

RE: Crawford vs. Pinal CountyDear Charles:
Enclosed please find a copy of a letter received from the attorney for Pinal County. As you can see, they are not too concerned with your case and it is their opinion that you will not be successful. Additionally, it is their intention to attempt to recover their costs from you. It is my feeling that their decision is based on the fact that you have little or no medical bills related to the injuries you sustained. Additionally, they probably do not believe you.
You would have the right at this time to dismiss the case if you wish, however, I am of the opinion that you should proceed.
As you are aware, there are absolutely no guarantees that you will be successful, however, it is my impression that your chances are better than 50/50. I would like you to review this letter and advise me of your decision.
It is my understanding that you had some question as to the last billing that was made. The charges were for all work done since the date of the previous billing and the actual services rendered are reflected in the bill. If there are some questions, I would be more than happy to discuss it with you when I return from my vacation.
Should you have any questions in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Very truly your,
SCHWARTZ & SUSMAN, P.A. Alan Susman

Through Chuck’s attorney private investigator Gary L. Bartlett was hired to investigate Chuck’s side of the story. He worked the case from June 1, 1981 through July 18, 1981, logging 66 and ¾ hours at $30.00 per hour (. On June 16, 1981 Bartlett interviewed one of the witnesses, Mr. Marsh, who was incarcerated with Chuck. The interview took place at Chuck Scottsdale apartment.
Marsh convicted of 2nd degree burglary (felony), 1963 and served time on first conviction. Also convicted on procession of payotie ,which was the charge of which he was serving at Pinal County Jail in Florence at the time Crawford was brought into the jail. Crawford was complaining of head injuries and stomach trouble at the time he was introduced into the population at Pinal County Jail. Marsh say that Crawford was in such pain that "he offered to pay for the medication himself" but that the jailers "ignored him". Marsh states that Crawford was not "faking" but appeared to really be "suffering". Marsh says that he particularly recalls the first morning after Crawford was admitted because "Crawford had a very bad night" and could not eat his "breakfast" but rather "traded his breakfast for my coffee". Marsh states that Crawford made "numerous" requests for medication especially pain killers, from jailers Dennis Cuff, a jailer named Kelvin? and at least two or three others. He said these requests were made "dozens of times". Marsh recalls that at the time of these incidents, "Crawford was physically very poor".
On 12/19/78 Marsh was in the "Day Room" and it was morning. Also present was a black ******ed guy by the name of Billy. A Chuck Williams was locked in a cell but was in a position to clearly see the events that were to occur. Crawford was sitting on a bench, "head lolling back and forth" and in a "Marsh says there was substantial time lapse before jailers Moore, Kelvin ? and Cuff" came in. The jailers physically picked Crawford off the bench and "manhandled him back off the bench". Marsh states that he heard Crawford’s head "thump" when it hit the floor as the jailers dropped him as they were trying to pick him up. I heard a "thud" he states.
Marsh says that following the first dropping of Crawford; jailers bodily picked Crawford up with "More picking him up with hands under the shoulders, Kelvin with the right leg and Cuff with the “left leg". Marsh says Melvin More was backing up and out of a very narrow doorway and "began to slip" and that all the rest seemed to just kind a let go. Marsh says '''I saw Crawford hit the"'floor and I heard him hit hard". Marsh says that he spoke out to the jailer because he was worried about the way that the jailers were handling him saying something to the effect that they should attempt to "slide" Crawford out of the cell way or "drag" him because the doorway was so small that they were manhandling him trying to get him through it. The jailers gave "no response" but just kelp on with what they were doing. I heard "them drop him twice and I clearly saw it once" says Marsh and the "jailers were laughing the whole time".
Marsh states that Crawford was very drowsy when he was returned the unit and continually complained "about his back". Marsh says that thereafter "Crawford requested medical assistance at least once or twice a day".
On 12/21/78 at about 10: 00 p.m., Marsh says that Crawford "complained about difficulty in breathing" and "of having trouble as Crawford described as a band tightening across his chest. There was another prisoner in the area by the name of Richard Hughes who Marsh said had himself had a heart attack. Marsh says that this Hughes began yelling "heart attack heart attack! " but no jailer response was made. Marsh says that he and several others began to bang for the jailer and it was "at least 45 minutes" before any jailer came back there.
Marsh states that he clearly recalls that once the jailers came back to where Crawford was; the jailers told him "If you want to go see a doctor ..walk out". Marsh says this was said several times and that eventually Crawford "staggered out". Following this incident; Marsh recalls that Crawford repeatedly "requested medication" and that he had great difficulty in obtaining it. The day following this illness, Marsh recalls that Crawford was not allowed to remain in his bed but rather was forced by the jailers to go to the day room. He also recalls that Crawford had to "lay on the cold concrete floor" for relief.
Private investigator Gary Bartlett interviewed Alan Danicourt about the case on July 4, 1981. The following is Bartlett’s report.
Danicourt receptive to interview. Offered to meet Personally. Was vaguely aware of pending litigation.
Danicourt states that he knew Crawford's ex-wife Dorothy and it "turned out that she had already had a husband and she never bothered to get a divorce".
Danicourt says that he "went to the deputies office the day after this happened" after being told " some stuff by her, (Dorothy Crawford's) daughter". This would have been on 12/16/78 as the altercation between Crawford and his ex-wife happened on 12/15/78.
Regarding Crawford, Danicourt said " I saw him later in the Pinal County Jail at Florence" and claimed to remember most of the incidents surrounding this matter "quite well".
Danicourt says that he talked with Crawford in the Pinal County Jail and "got his side of the slumped over" position. Marsh and the rest called for the jailers for assistance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Marsh says there was substantial time lapse before jailers Moore, Kelvin ? and Cuff" came in. The jailers physically picked Crawford off the bench and "manhandled him back off the bench". Marsh states that he heard Crawford’s head "thump" when it hit the floor as the jailers dropped him as they were trying to pick him up. I heard a "thud" he states.Marsh says that following the first dropping of Crawford; jailers bodily picked Crawford up with "More picking him up with hands under the shoulders, Kelvin with the right leg and Cuff with the “left leg". Marsh says Melvin More was backing up and out of a very narrow doorway and "began to slip" and that all the rest seemed to just kind a let go. Marsh says '''I saw Crawford hit the"'floor and I heard him hit hard". Marsh says that he spoke out to the jailer because he was worried about the way that the jailers were handling him saying something to the effect that they should attempt to "slide" Crawford out of the cell way or "drag" him because the doorway was so small that they were manhandling him trying to get him through it. The jailers gave "no response" but just kelp on with what they were doing. I heard "them drop him twice and I clearly saw it once" says Marsh and the "jailers were laughing the whole time".
Marsh states that Crawford was very drowsy when he was returned the unit and continually complained "about his back". Marsh says that thereafter "Crawford requested medical assistance at least once or twice a day".
On 12/21/78 at about 10: 00 p.m., Marsh says that Crawford "complained about difficulty in breathing" and "of having trouble as Crawford described as a band tightening across his chest. There was another prisoner in the area by the name of Richard Hughes who Marsh said had himself had a heart attack. Marsh says that this Hughes began yelling "heart attack heart attack! " but no jailer response was made. Marsh says that he and several others began to bang for the jailer and it was "at least 45 minutes" before any jailer came back there.
Marsh states that he clearly recalls that once the jailers came back to where Crawford was; the jailers told him "If you want to go see a doctor ..walk out". Marsh says this was said several times and that eventually Crawford "staggered out". Following this incident; Marsh recalls that Crawford repeatedly "requested medication" and that he had great difficulty in obtaining it. The day following this illness, Marsh recalls that Crawford was not allowed to remain in his bed but rather was forced by the jailers to go to the day room. He also recalls that Crawford had to "lay on the cold concrete floor" for relief.
Private investigator Gary Bartlett interviewed Alan Danicourt about the case on July 4, 1981. The following is Bartlett’s report.
Danicourt receptive to interview. Offered to meet Personally. Was vaguely aware of pending litigation.
Danicourt states that he knew Crawford's ex-wife Dorothy and it "turned out that she had already had a husband and she never bothered to get a divorce".
Danicourt says that he "went to the deputies office the day after this happened" after being told " some stuff by her, (Dorothy Crawford's) daughter". This would have been on 12/16/78 as the altercation between Crawford and his ex-wife happened on 12/15/78.
Regarding Crawford, Danicourt said " I saw him later in the Pinal County Jail at Florence" and claimed to remember most of the incidents surrounding this matter "quite well".
Danicourt says that he talked with Crawford in the Pinal County Jail and "got his side of the story". Following that, he and a George Lottridge traveled to the Crawford residence, a trailer in Apache Junction, and talked with Dorothy Crawford a couple of times. Danicourt says Dorothy Crawford " put on a very, very convincing story about what Pinal County has accused him of". He states that they accused him of "Aggravated 'Assault, three counts". Danicourt says that Dorothy Crawford, "showed bruises, very convincing bruises on her leg and a little on her face " but she said she wasn't going to show him (Danicourt) her cracked ribs"'. Danicourt believed Dorothy Crawford's report of the incident to be very convincing as he said that Crawford had charges before in 1972 for "something of an act of violence" in the Lucky Nugget Bar. He said it "just seemed to fit".
Danicourt told Dorothy Crawford that Charles Crawford had requested an attorney and Dorothy Crawford then advised Danicourt that a friend of Crawford's, a Jerry Boise, had already taken care of it. She also was said to have advised that Bob Corbin had been contacted.
Danicourt states that Crawford gave him and George Lottridge " a note (which he still believes he has) to get some stuff out of Crawford's "white van" which was parked at the residence trailer. When Danicourt and Lottridge arrived at the Crawford residence, " Dorothy Crawford's mother was there and became "practically violent" and threatened to shoot him (Crawford). Danicourt says that Crawford gave him the van keys from the jail and a note of what to get from the van. Danicourt says that when he went to the trailer, it was "open" and that the items Crawford had listed were not in the van. He further stated that during the whole period of his visit "to the Crawford home, Dorothy Crawford's mother was quite disruptive and was making alot of threatening statements, primarily she was claiming that everything in the van etc. belonged to her because she says that Crawford "owed her money". Danicourt recalls this meeting to have occurred on Saturday December 16, 1978.
Danicourt says that Dorothy Crawford demanded that he and Lottridge immediately remove the mules which belonged to Danicourt thru a business venture with Crawford. She also demanded that he also remove a watering tank and some porta stalls that were on the property.
Danicourt says that following the meeting with Dorothy Crawford he and Lottridge attempted to telephone Crawford in the Pinal County Jail (With Lottridge doing most of the talking) and when they were unable to talk with him personally, they talked with the person on duty there and was told that Crawford was charged with Aggravate Assault on several police officers and that his visitation would be very, very limited.
Danicourt states that he went to the jail the night of Crawford's arrest and was told by the deputy that no arraignment had been held but that Crawford's "bail was $1,120". Danicourt believed that the amount of bail indicated at least a felony charge and said "it became clear to me that he was guilty of what he was charged with".

Danicourt says that he went to the Pinal County Jail in Florence the day after Christmas 1978 and was told that Crawford "has an attorney" as that had been the reason of his visit. Danicourt says that George Lottridge was with him at the time and that the both of them was advised that Crawford's bail was "$1,120" and that he had "legal representation". Danicourt recalls that like statements "Were made to him and to Lottridge over the telephone on several " prior occasions before Christmas when they had together telephoned the Pinal County Jail for information on Crawford."Danicourt recalls that he and Lottridge telephoned the Pinal County Jail for information on Crawford and was told that Crawford had "been transferred to the hospital. Following failures to determine which hospital and why; Danicourt states that he and Lottridge telephoned several hospitals in Pinal and Maricopa counties in an effort to locate Crawford but all without success. They began to " question the safety and well being of Crawford and as a result of the refusal of the Pinal County officials to provided meaning information; Danicourt and Lottridge contacted the American Civil Liberties Union, the Arizona Attorney Generals Office and several investigative reporters including a David Page with channel 12 etc. Danicourt states that both he and Lottridge began to fear that Pinal County had disposed of Crawford as a result of previous incidents between Crawford and Pinal County in 1972.
Sometime later, Danicourt says, the ACLU wrote to Lottridge advising him that Crawford was charged with "three felony counts etc. etc." and "Aggravated assault".
Danicourt recalls one visit to Pinal County Jail to visit Crawford when such visitation was refused, Crawford was however able to sneak a note out to them. Danicourt states that Lottridge has recounted a story several times about a Lottridge attempt to locate Crawford in the Pinal County Jail after a 1972 incident. The story goes that Lottridge visited the jail facilities in Florence and when ask about Crawford, the Jailers denied that he was in the jail. Apparently this upset Lottridge's wife, Dana Lee Lottridge, and she became quite upset and was having words with the jailer when Lottridge himself went to the back of the room and yelled out Crawford's name. He states that Crawford answered his call.

Danicourt has known Crawford since approximately 1973 and has financed several mining ventures in which Crawford was involved.
Danicourt's opinion of Dorothy Crawford is "nothing but a bar broad" and seriously questions her ability at "truthfulness". His opinion is based, he says, upon close personal contacts including dinners at the Crawford home.
Danicourt states that on one occasion when he and Lottridge visited the Pinal County jail to see Crawford; " a short, stocky jailer, told them that Crawford didn't need an attorney" and following further conversation was advised by this jailer that " Crawford already has an attorney". Danicourt recalls that this was not the truth for Crawford had ask them to help him get one.
Regarding the note that Crawford passed to Damoourt for the removal of certain items from his van on December 16, 1978; Danicourt says that he at first, "'assumed that Crawford had removed his jewelry and guns into the house and had forgotten" when Danicourt and Lottridge were unable to locate them in the van as Crawford had said. Danicourt recalls that the note Crawford slipped out to him "specifically requested that he and Lottridge remove his jewelry case" from the van but that they found the van "open" and the case not there. Danicourt says that Dorothy Crawford went to the back of the trailer and came out with the case. It was unlocked and there was nothing in it except just a few cheap rings and such like. Danicourt is unsure but he thinks there might have been a small or little handgun found in the Crawford Van. Danicourt states that he saw no evidence of forced entry into the van.
Danicourt confirms the existence and possession of a "Squash Blossom'" jewelry piece and says that he has personally seen the appraisal of $7,500. This was the important piece of jewelry Crawford is said to have ask Danicourt and Lottridge to remove from his Van on Dec. 16, 1978. Danicourt further confirms that Crawford kept this piece of jewelry in the case that he kept in his van. He says Crawford was very protective of his property and always kept his van locked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread