Ghost Lights in the Superstition Mountains

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Just curious, have seen this odd thing mentioned in old newspaper articles along with other activities like huge boulders that supposedly swing out from rock walls, shadows that move etc; what I would like to know is if any of you have ever seen anything like "ghost lights" in the Superstition mountains in your experiences? Anywhere in the Superstitions would count, but especially around Superstition mountain itself and also Haunted Canyon as well, two sites where newspaper accounts specifically mentioned seeing them a century ago.

Thank you in advance,

Oroblanco

:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee:

alfonzo

Greenie
Mar 22, 2010
Meadview, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro ST, Gold Bug Pro, Garrett CSI 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and a buddy had hiked back to the trail head after dark, dog tired, just as we reached the car in the lot and i turned and looked back at the gate, a bright blue light rolled across the top of the entrance looked like about 15 feet. I hollered at my partner, "Hey did you see that?" He said yes, dont know if he really did, or trying to humor me. I asked if he thought maybe some kids were playing with us, as they sometimes have been hanging out at the trail heads in the past. He said, no, that was some weird happening... and it was right there not back in the distant sky.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember anything else ??

MIB green flash.jpg

Seriously though, the mountains themselves are the result of extreme subterranean geological pressures of tectonic and volcanic origin.
Some of that pressure remains, and the presence of various crystal deposits....quartz etc.....could, through piezoelectric effects, cause various colored flashes of light to be observed by people in the vicinity of any electrical discharge at the surface. During the day, while flashes of light might not be seen, strange sounds could be evident.

Of course, there are other explanations.....

61.png

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find Tom Kollenborn's story about the white stallion that roamed freely in the Soops. Read it. One night, back in the early 90's, I was back near Weavers Needle, sleeping in my tent. I swear I had an out of body experience. In a flash, I was standing next to my tent, in broad daylight, looking down the sloping grade, at the most beautiful white stallion I have ever seen. I could feel the sun on my face, a slight breeze, and I could hear this stallion pawing the ground as he reared his head, and stared at me. He stood there for what seemed like a few minutes, then he quickly turned and was gone, and so was I. I woke up the next morning and let out one of those HOLY $#!* expressions of disbelief, simply because it was as real as I am sitting here. I used to go in and stay a few days alone, so I heard every noise imaginable, but it never worried when I heard something walking next to my tent, I always had my .41 Mag pointed right up it's.... No lights however.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holyground

Your story reminded me a dream which I had when I was young . Was so clear that i remember it even today :
I was walking on a path in an unknown place with large hills . At one moment I saw on one hill two stallions , one white and the other black .
Were so beautiful that i was looking at them for a while . I believe a person , maybe the horses owner , whom the face i couldn't see , asked me if i wanted one of the two horses . I looked again at the horses and I said " yes , I want the white one " , and the person said " Ok . take him , is yours " .
I went then close and took him from the reins , and walking not riding , followed the path which i was walking on . After a short time walking with the horse , I encountered something like a barn and with my surprise there I saw a young woman who was my ex school classmate . Her name was Hogas Maria Magdalena and was sitting aground in the middle of that barn . I was happy to see her , but when I was going to get closer to her, she looked like was afraid and she was dragging herself backward . Made me impression her attitude because we were friends and I knew her long time before . After few moments as i was getting closer , she couldn't go backward anymore because she had reached and had stuck on the fence . I didn't know if she was afraid of me or of the horse , and the only thing I was thinking was to make her to don't be afraid and to trust me . I left the reins and sat down in front of her , I kept her hands in my hands and looking in her eyes , I gave her a hug .
This was the last thing I saw in that dream . I woke up and looked around expecting to see the same scene , so clear was the experience . This is one of few dreams which i can remember .

Last edited:

horsehunter

Greenie
Jul 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was several years ago( 15 ) when I went to the top of Picacho Butte with two other guys for a four day trek around the very top. It was a Saturday when the mesquitoes were real bad when we decided to light a fire to smoke em out of the cave we were sleeping in. It wasn't more than an ampatheater if a cave but it had four beds carved in the Rock floor with a fire pit centered in the middle. From this cave we could see the cars traveling on the highway at Florence Junction. We gathered what little wood we could find and lit the fire which illuminated the back wall of the cave quite nicely making for a large bright light on the top of the highest peak out there. When one of the guys from the Quarter circle U ranch went to eat breakfast Sunday morning at the old feedbag it was the talk at almost every table about the mysterious lights in the mountains last night. What were they from ? Some thought it was a UFO !!! But I know better, it was me and my two friends fending off mesquitoes is all. Next time I'll take some bug spray.

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was several years ago( 15 ) when I went to the top of Picacho Butte with two other guys for a four day trek around the very top. It was a Saturday when the mesquitoes were real bad when we decided to light a fire to smoke em out of the cave we were sleeping in. It wasn't more than an ampatheater if a cave but it had four beds carved in the Rock floor with a fire pit centered in the middle. From this cave we could see the cars traveling on the highway at Florence Junction. We gathered what little wood we could find and lit the fire which illuminated the back wall of the cave quite nicely making for a large bright light on the top of the highest peak out there. When one of the guys from the Quarter circle U ranch went to eat breakfast Sunday morning at the old feedbag it was the talk at almost every table about the mysterious lights in the mountains last night. What were they from ? Some thought it was a UFO !!! But I know better, it was me and my two friends fending off mesquitoes is all. Next time I'll take some bug spray.

Horsehunter, what route did you take to get up there? I am going to try to get up there myself.

Anon

Feb 1, 2024
Hello, I'm looking for information if has anyone has ever fully explored the mountains are there any caves with warning signs that say its restricted for any reason, sealed, etc, any caves with strange shapes, anything like a narrow cave or something that looks to you like an artificial mine shaft and the deeper you go in you start feeling some ventilation or warm air rushing coming from it, any strange symbols on the walls like a ouroboros or dragon with seven stars on the middle, anything like that?

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
When hiking out the Dutchman trail my son and I experienced strange flashing lights. I was like someone was taking a flash photo but always from behind you. The flash would light up the entire canyon.
Very strange phenomena.
Perhaps an electrical storm.
When I was a youngster, growing up in Phoenix, I remember some big ones. Lots of light shows, even strobe effects sometimes. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤“
Idahodutch

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember anything else ??

View attachment 1580788

Seriously though, the mountains themselves are the result of extreme subterranean geological pressures of tectonic and volcanic origin.
Some of that pressure remains, and the presence of various crystal deposits....quartz etc.....could, through piezoelectric effects, cause various colored flashes of light to be observed by people in the vicinity of any electrical discharge at the surface. During the day, while flashes of light might not be seen, strange sounds could be evident.

Of course, there are other explanations.....

View attachment 1580790
I had to look into that, very interesting phenomenon, thanks!

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Electrical discharges can happen for various reasons ā€¦. As somehiker was was touching on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread