Mine near squaw valley

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc4261

Can you be more specific when you say " squaw valley " ? In what region is your valley and what is your source for that mine ?

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc4261

Can you be more specific when you say " squaw valley " ? In what region is your valley and what is your source for that mine ?

Sorry , squaw canyon . Its where the cross map show a mine. Thought it was the LDM as the deathbed map can be seen close to that . Its not the mine im looking for but was interested if it was found and the story of it if it was. Im into the H/P map as I know they havent been found.here is a look at he horse ear and mine behind it without giving too much away. smiles. The stone maps lead to a big ass tree im guessing it was planted over that mine. View attachment 1582784

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Sorry , squaw canyon . Its where the cross map show a mine. Thought it was the LDM as the deathbed map can be seen close to that . Its not the mine im looking for but was interested if it was found and the story of it if it was. Im into the H/P map as I know they havent been found.here is a look at he horse ear and mine behind it without giving too much away. smiles. The stone maps lead to a big ass tree im guessing it was planted over that mine. View attachment 1582784
crazy jake and many other pros covered that area thoroughly..if there was a mine of any significance they would have found it

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seems you go by dowsing . Could be a gold vein which was not yet discovered .

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems you go by dowsing . Could be a gold vein which was not yet discovered .

No dowsing. lol Just a measurement on where the points I can prove on the H/p map to get a little closer to right spot and not miss it.

Really no one has found that mine over there? Id put it around here on the side of the ridge.
View attachment 1583055 My birthday present to yall.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
No dowsing. lol Just a measurement on where the points I can prove on the H/p map to get a little closer to right spot and not miss it.

Really no one has found that mine over there? Id put it around here on the side of the ridge.
View attachment 1583055 My birthday present to yall.
i didn't say nobody has found any mines there,,there are plenty of digs in that area...i said none of any significance has been found

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i didn't say nobody has found any mines there,,there are plenty of digs in that area...i said none of any significance has been found

That's why im not into that one. too much traffic. the others I have nto been trampled on. should make it easier to find and verify.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Squaw canyon.PNG

azdave35,

Something interesting about that area.

The area circled by Doc4261 is up at the top of Squaw Canyon, actually the correct name is New Squaw Canyon. The real Squaw Canyon, or Old Squaw Canyon, is one canyon to the south. When the Forest Service gave information for the updated topo maps someone who didn’t know which canyon was which marked the wrong one and today everyone recognizes it as Squaw Canyon. Old timers however still refer to the canyon to the South as Squaw Canyon and it causes confusion with the younger crowd. There are numerous errors of misnamed canyons and sites by the Forest Service on today’s topo maps all over the Superstitions.

There was an old trail coming up out of LaBarge Canyon at Marsh Valley that followed up (New) Squaw Canyon. That trail is impassable today due to erosion and Crazy Jake using dynamite on it. If you followed that trail all the way to the top you would be standing at the northwest end of the area Doc4261 circled. That circled area is a fault, the north side being the hanging wall and the south side the footwall. I’ve been in that area many times. Walter Gassler’s camp in the grove of Laural trees was just to the east of that circled area about 1000 feet away and John and Joe Kochera found their rotted leather sack of gold ore just to the southeast of the circled area.

Walter Gassler showed me an old mine / hole in the ground over by that circled area. He was afraid to go down in it and when I saw it I could see why. The entrance was a down shaft in solid rock. You could stand on a small ledge about 6-7 feet down but the ledge was slanted and not very big and was dangerous. From that ledge you could look down but couldn’t see the bottom because the shaft angled off to the north a little. It was hard to judge how deep the shaft was from the ledge but it was between 70-90 feet.

Ropes would be a must for going down and it would be a three man endeavor at the very least. Two men above and one going down. After Walter died I forgot about it until one day I was on Peters Mesa with a friend from San Carlos and we got to talking and I told him about Walter’s mine / hole in the ground over there and asked if he knew anything about it. He did know about it and warned me about going in and then proceeded to tell me a pretty hair raising story about it.
The next day we went over to the hole and I let him lead the way to make sure we were talking about the same place. He made a bee line right for it and never wavered or seemed not to know where he was going.

Years later Greg Davis was with me and I showed it to him. Greg said one day he would like to go down and explore it. I gave Greg the same warning my friend gave me and said it was best to just leave it alone. Sometime after that I learned Greg and Jack Carlson were out there and Jack attempted to go down but got only as far as the ledge. With a light he could not see the bottom and bees had made a home down in the shaft somewhere. I was relieved Greg and Jack had not attempted to go in. According to my friend from San Carlos, whoever goes in, never comes back out and there is something terrifying at the bottom.

Matthew

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
View attachment 1583154

azdave35,

The area circled by Doc4261 is up at the top of Squaw Canyon, actually the correct name is New Squaw Canyon. The real Squaw Canyon, or Old Squaw Canyon, is one canyon to the south. When the Forest Service gave information for the updated topo maps someone who didn’t know which canyon was which marked the wrong one and today everyone recognizes it as Squaw Canyon. Old timers however still refer to the canyon to the South as Squaw Canyon and it causes confusion with the younger crowd. There are numerous errors of misnamed canyons and sites by the Forest Service on today’s topo maps all over the Superstitions.

There was an old trail coming up out of LaBarge Canyon at Marsh Valley that followed up (New) Squaw Canyon. That trail is impassable today due to erosion and Crazy Jake using dynamite on it. If you followed that trail all the way to the top you would be standing at the northwest end of the area Doc4261 circled. That circled area is a fault, the north side being the hanging wall and the south side the footwall. I’ve been in that area many times. Walter Gassler’s camp in the grove of Laural trees was just to the east of that circled area about 1000 feet away and John and Joe Kochera found their rotted leather sack of gold ore just to the southeast of the circled area.

Walter Gassler showed me an old mine / hole in the ground over by that circled area. He was afraid to go down in it and when I saw it I could see why. The entrance was a down shaft in solid rock. You could stand on a small ledge about 6-7 feet down but the ledge was slanted and not very big and was dangerous. From that ledge you could look down but couldn’t see the bottom because the shaft angled off to the north a little. It was hard to judge how deep the shaft was from the ledge but it was between 70-90 feet.

Ropes would be a must for going down and it would be a three man endeavor at the very least. Two men above and one going down. After Walter died I forgot about it until one day I was on Peters Mesa with a friend from San Carlos and we got to talking and I told him about Walter’s mine / hole in the ground over there and asked if he knew anything about it. He did know about it and warned me about going in and then proceeded to tell me a pretty hair raising story about it.
The next day we went over to the hole and I let him lead the way to make sure we were talking about the same place. He made a bee line right for it and never wavered or seemed not to know where he was going.

Years later Greg Davis was with me and I showed it to him. Greg said one day he would like to go down and explore it. I gave Greg the same warning my friend gave me and said it was best to just leave it alone. Sometime after that I learned Greg and Jack Carlson were out there and Jack attempted to go down but got only as far as the ledge. With a light he could not see the bottom and bees had made a home down in the shaft somewhere. I was relieved Greg and Jack had not attempted to go in. According to my friend from San Carlos, whoever goes in, never comes back out and there is something terrifying at the bottom.

Matthew
might be a good place to send politicians :headbang:

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1583154

azdave35,

Matthew

Not the Dutchman then huh. Nice info to know. That's a cool story. Love hearing about what people know about the area . So the stone maps are mines then, was always what I thought but always hoped it was treasure. lol. IM sure one of the mines on the maps are the Dutchman. 2 fit the deathbed scribble. cross that one off makes me feel better about the one I am looking for on the H/P.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Not the Dutchman then huh. Nice info to know. That's a cool story. Love hearing about what people know about the area . So the stone maps are mines then, was always what I thought but always hoped it was treasure. lol. IM sure one of the mines on the maps are the Dutchman. 2 fit the deathbed scribble. cross that one off makes me feel better about the one I am looking for on the H/P.

you must be pretty new on the forum...if you are following the stone maps they wont take you anywhere but to the poor house...travis tumlinson carved those maps to throw people off track...hundreds of locals around here have all solved the maps and they all have different ideas on how to interpret them and where they lead...every one of those people are broke ..divorced and living in squalor...

oldpueblo

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Roberts,

Very interesting. Can you share the rest of the story that your friend from San Carlos told you? Can you tell us what is so terrifying at the bottom?
Thanks in advance,
oldpueblo

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
you must be pretty new on the forum...if you are following the stone maps they wont take you anywhere but to the poor house...travis tumlinson carved those maps to throw people off track...hundreds of locals around here have all solved the maps and they all have different ideas on how to interpret them and where they lead...every one of those people are broke ..divorced and living in squalor...

Dave,

Hope all is well with you.

You are mistaken.

Take care,

Joe

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Roberts,

Very interesting. Can you share the rest of the story that your friend from San Carlos told you? Can you tell us what is so terrifying at the bottom?
Thanks in advance,
oldpueblo

oldpueblo,

I don’t want to take Doc4261’s thread too far off track but this “mine” Walter showed me is there at his circled area. I don’t know what Doc4261 found or was talking about in that circled area, he was very vague and I was trying to be specific. There may be something else in that circled area, I’ve never been so vain as to believe that just because I’ve been thru an area once, twice even a dozen times that I know everything that’s in that area.

You have to understand my friend is a traditional not a government Indian like most are at San Carlos. There is a huge difference between the two. Not only culturally but the two are at odds with each other sometimes violently.
Also one must understand how an Apache tells something. It could be told as agodzaahi, a true and historical event. But also as godiyihgo nagoldie, a myth; or again as nlt eego nagoldie, a story passed down through generations; or even as chidu, gossip or a rumor. It is very important to understand how something is being told to you because it makes a BIG difference and an Apache will not tell you, you have to pick up on what he is saying by his words and the way he tells it.

The night my friend told me the story he began it as a true historical event and ended it as a story passed down through generations. As a traditional he believed in everything he told me. The story is long but to be brief here he told that the “hole,” is a place of chidn tuh yo, a spirit place or a ghost place. That long ago men were tortured and killed there and thrown down in that hole where their bones still rest today. That what they were taking from those holes belonged to Kuterastan, (also called Yossen, the one who lives above, the Apache supreme god). He said the hole is, chiin biyi golinihi, possessed by an evil power, a chidn ilkasn, a terrible spirit, and that spirit lives in the hole and will kill all who enter it.

Now I don’t fully believe everything my friend tells me because his traditional way includes spirits and witches and superstitions but I do not discount out of hand anything he tells me.

Matthew

oldpueblo

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mr Roberts,

Thank you for your enlightening response. I believe those mountains hold more secrets than what has been revealed. In your opinion, do you think that there could be another entrance to that hole in the ground?

Thanks,
oldpueblo

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder what it would take to put together a battery powered light/fiber optic camera to look around in some of those old holes - even ones that are 50-100 feet deep? I imagine snaking something around rocks and angles would be tough, but where there's a will, there's a way.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Wonder what it would take to put together a battery powered light/fiber optic camera to look around in some of those old holes - even ones that are 50-100 feet deep? I imagine snaking something around rocks and angles would be tough, but where there's a will, there's a way.
go to home depot and get a day laborer and send him down...if he starts yelling you know something bad is down there:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread