Our these what you would call dory bars ??

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Example of a dry washer/rocker box ......

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/202172755284_/Antique-Vintage-Wooden-Dry-Washer-Gold-Sluce-Box.jpg

Antique-Vintage-Wooden-Dry-Washer-Gold-Sluce-Box.jpg

Air from the bellows would be used to "wash" the material, where water wasn't available.
Pumping the handle would rock the box, as well as operate the bellows to blow air through and over the riffles and screens.

He probably used it more than once, and in more than one place IMO.
Might even had it with his kit when he found the mine, but left it behind so he could haul more gold ore back instead.
Wouldn't have needed it after that.

Last edited:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Even in the eraly 60's while I was still in H.S. in Florence after the "Monsoons" people would go to the washes on the South side of the Supes and pan flakes from the washes. No one bother or tried (that I know of) to find where they were coming from. Also on the Florence/Ray road before the "Big Wash" they would work "Glory Holes" for the 20's to the early 60's. One family friend Robert Walsh ( who was a little wierd,LOL) told me about people that spent all the gold they got from a Glory Holes trying to find a vein. There was none, just pockets that collected gold over the centuries.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I have one lol I know there out there

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even in the eraly 60's while I was still in H.S. in Florence after the "Monsoons" people would go to the washes on the South side of the Supes and pan flakes from the washes. No one bother or tried (that I know of) to find where they were coming from. Also on the Florence/Ray road before the "Big Wash" they would work "Glory Holes" for the 20's to the early 60's. One family friend Robert Walsh ( who was a little wierd,LOL) told me about people that spent all the gold they got from a Glory Holes trying to find a vein. There was none, just pockets that collected gold over the centuries.

This sounds to me like the modern wash is reworking an ancient gold-bearing channel. If it was me, I'd take a metal detector to any patches of rounded river gravel I found in the banks of the wash.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First: Yes, they could be dore bars. Dore are just unrefined mine pour bars. They are bubbly and crappy specifically because they are unrefined, still have bits of matrix. They are easier to pack out than a bunch of vein ore with attached matrix rock.

Ink,

You must have never known a real PROSPECTOR! HAHAHA There is a huge difference between a miner and a prospector. I have a buddy up here (near Prescott, AZ). Even if he found a ledge of silver or gold, he would probably just sell it to someone, and keep looking. The thrill is in the hunt. After sealing the mine, he would never have just quit hunting. He knew he could reopen the mine any time. Just get a rocker box and check out some creeks. Unless I had to, I wouldnt want to keep climbing down a little with a hammer every day, if I could sit in the great outdoors and play with a rocker box.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is Mike these days? Still selling cars?

DW

No more cars (at least for now). Twenty-Five years was long enough. I enjoy having weekends off now. I also live in Arizona. No more Crapifornia. How'bout yourself?

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near Prescott. Dewey

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
From Davis library

Attachments

• 1537915947357.jpg
    1537915947357.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 210

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
Still living in western Colorado. Been back in the oil patch for a wee bit over a year.
Been trying to force myself outside on days of to rekindle the hobby.
Have something interesting out by the UT/CO state line.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Davis library

Frank,

I showed a long time ago that the bar Carl Broderick had was a bar of Nickel Babbitt (bearing metal). Not silver. Someone scratched off each side where nickel babbitt and four "X"'s was cast. The company named on the bar NEVER made or cast any silver or gold bars. 99% nickel babbit.

Doug,

Hey buddy. Glad to hear they have you busy. Lots better than sitting on your hands! HAHAHA

Mike

OP
OP
I

ink

Mar 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a strange comment. BLESS

OP
OP
I

ink

Mar 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mr. or Mrs. Kray ?? for your expert opinion.

OP
OP
I

ink

Mar 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the gold looks rugged its lode if the gold is smooth its placer thanks for your expert opinion.

OP
OP
I

ink

Mar 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the hell is a quintana bar just asking bless

OP
OP
I

ink

Mar 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 6 foot 9 inch Mr. Gollum. & that tough Chicago cop & that local Superior bad ass. Please do not try too intimidate or threaten an old combat vet. Bless your hearts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread