Our these what you would call dory bars ??

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dave,

Either that or someone is off their meds..........or maybe they are really someone else bringing some angst from an argument with me under another username. It happens a lot. I make someone look stupid, then they come back under a different username and come after me for what seems like no reason.

Ink,

Not certain what your problem is, but its 6'4" (not 6'9"), but if you want to speak face to face, I will be at the Rendezvous the first weekend this November.

Mike

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hey Dave,

Either that or someone is off their meds..........or maybe they are really someone else bringing some angst from an argument with me under another username. It happens a lot. I make someone look stupid, then they come back under a different username and come after me for what seems like no reason.

Ink,

Not certain what your problem is, but its 6'4" (not 6'9"), but if you want to speak face to face, I will be at the Rendezvous the first weekend this November.

Mike
maybe you grew 5 inches in the last year?...lol:dontknow:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pics it looks like possible dory gold to me. The voids, concentric dimples, striations, and edges all look like primitive cast metal that closely resembles what I used to get from melting down old type metal and pouring ingots. Impurities in the metal will cause surface fracturing a separation causing voids to appear. I know that Doc Ness is reported to have removed dory gold bars from his treasure cave after he found out what they were after previously assuming from their appearance that they were ingots of lead.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
From the pics it looks like possible dory gold to me. The voids, concentric dimples, striations, and edges all look like primitive cast metal that closely resembles what I used to get from melting down old type metal and pouring ingots. Impurities in the metal will cause surface fracturing a separation causing voids to appear. I know that Doc Ness is reported to have removed dory gold bars from his treasure cave after he found out what they were after previously assuming from their appearance that they were ingots of lead.

From a published assay report in Book 1 of the Gold House series, we know Noss's 40-pound bars were about 80% copper with a couple ounces of gold and some silver in them. This mix was nearly identical to the early ores recovered from the Santa Rita del Cobre mine about 50 miles west of the Caballos. Their appearance was a dark patina due to the weathering of the copper.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank,

That was actually some ore from under Victorio Peak Doc had. Not bars. If you look at the Assay, it shows ounces per ton. If the assay had been for ingots, it would have shown the percentage. The bars from Victorio Peak Lower Chambers were dore from both Doc and Ova's descriptions. Doc said they looked like ricks (stacks) of pig iron.

Doc also had a cave in the Caballo Mountains that contained refined gold bars. At some point, Willie Douthit showed Doc his cave (talk about trust). Supposedly, Doc's Cave in the Caballos was very close to Willie's. After what happened to the Noss's at Victorio Peak, Doc kept his cave in the Caballos a secret.

Mike

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank,

That was actually some ore from under Victorio Peak Doc had. Not bars. If you look at the Assay, it shows ounces per ton. If the assay had been for ingots, it would have shown the percentage. The bars from Victorio Peak Lower Chambers were dore from both Doc and Ova's descriptions. Doc said they looked like ricks (stacks) of pig iron.

Doc also had a cave in the Caballo Mountains that contained refined gold bars. At some point, Willie Douthit showed Doc his cave (talk about trust). Supposedly, Doc's Cave in the Caballos was very close to Willie's. After what happened to the Noss's at Victorio Peak, Doc kept his cave in the Caballos a secret.

Mike

I'm Steve, not Frank.

You're correct that assay reports generally are prepared for ore samples, not bullion. Chapter 11 makes it clear that in the late 30s Noss was attempting to refine copper bars (which he originally believed to be "pig iron" due to their dark copper patina), recovering the gold in them in order to create high-carat gold bullion. He then attempted to sell the gold bars to the Denver Mint without success, due to the ban on owning gold bullion at the time.

I don't recall that Noss was ever reported having "mined gold ore" during his crime spree, although the writer Clarence does make an apparent error on page 132 when he states that the assayer, Hawley & Hawley in Douglas AZ, "purchased the crude bars and ore" from Noss. All the material I've seen re Noss discuss his recoveries of either "bars" or "gold", ie, bullion - never "ore". Even though Noss was accused at times of trying to sell "fake gold bars" by various parties, there was, in fact, some gold in the copper bars he was peddling - about 0.5 percent. These bars are clearly valuable, but they're not gold bars.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Steve, not Frank.

You're correct that assay reports generally are prepared for ore samples, not bullion. Chapter 11 makes it clear that in the late 30s Noss was attempting to refine copper bars (which he originally believed to be "pig iron" due to their dark copper patina), recovering the gold in them in order to create high-carat gold bullion. He then attempted to sell the gold bars to the Denver Mint without success, due to the ban on owning gold bullion at the time.

I don't recall that Noss was ever reported having "mined gold ore" during his crime spree, although the writer Clarence does make an apparent error on page 132 when he states that the assayer, Hawley & Hawley in Douglas AZ, "purchased the crude bars and ore" from Noss. All the material I've seen re Noss discuss his recoveries of either "bars" or "gold", ie, bullion - never "ore". Even though Noss was accused at times of trying to sell "fake gold bars" by various parties, there was, in fact, some gold in the copper bars he was peddling - about 0.5 percent. These bars are clearly valuable, but they're not gold bars.

I know who you are Steve. LOL I was either answering a post from Frank on another thread or Frank removed his post about the assay(thats why I usually quote the post I answer so I dont look crazy when they are deleted).

I also know that Doc was known to have sold refined gold bars as early as 1935. Two years before he found the entrance to VP. Those were from Caballos Cave.

On another subject, I was going to ask you if you remembered several years ago, someone told a story about finding a big spoon. I think it was on Granite or somewhere else on Holden Ranch. Do you remember that story?

Mike

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I know who you are Steve. LOL I was either answering a post from Frank on another thread or Frank removed his post about the assay(thats why I usually quote the post I answer so I dont look crazy when they are deleted).

I also know that Doc was known to have sold refined gold bars as early as 1935. Two years before he found the entrance to VP. Those were from Caballos Cave.

On another subject, I was going to ask you if you remembered several years ago, someone told a story about finding a big spoon. I think it was on Granite or somewhere else on Holden Ranch. Do you remember that story?

Mike

No, none of that rings a bell with me - Holden Ranch/Granite or big spoon.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike

Clean some PMes from you inbox to can receive some new .

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, none of that rings a bell with me - Holden Ranch/Granite or big spoon.

It was several years ago. Somebody had told a story about finding a big spoon somewhere on Granite Peak or the Holden Ranch (basically the same place in the Caballos near Drolte Hole). I heard something else about a spoon in the area, and was wondering if they had anything to do with each other. No big deal. Just trying to connect some dots. LOL

Mike

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It was several years ago. Somebody had told a story about finding a big spoon somewhere on Granite Peak or the Holden Ranch (basically the same place in the Caballos near Drolte Hole). I heard something else about a spoon in the area, and was wondering if they had anything to do with each other. No big deal. Just trying to connect some dots. LOL

Mike

OK, Caballos' Granite Peak. Nope, didn't hear that story.

Big spoon. I found a big silver spoon once near a treasure-related spot. Right next to an "omega" shaped piece of wire and some sort of cutting tool. This spoon turned out to be a quarter mile up canyon from a 1930s coin melt smelter hidden in an old mine drift that had a short vertical shaft leading to the surface, making a perfect chimney, drawing air into the fire pit and venting gases out the top.

Artifacts metal.JPG

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Big spoon. I found a big silver spoon once near a treasure-related spot. Right next to an "omega" shaped piece of wire and some sort of cutting tool. This spoon turned out to be a quarter mile up canyon from a 1930s coin melt smelter hidden in an old mine drift that had a short vertical shaft leading to the surface, making a perfect chimney, drawing air into the fire pit and venting gases out the top.

View attachment 1640210

Spoons are one thing that can be dated fairly easy. That one looks to be an officers military issue. I've found two like that. One was for "Volunteer Soldiers" (Buffalo) the other Officers.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1640210

Probably Military Trail..these are the finds from two different places. Both Military trinkets. The bullet on the top left is the oldest I've found. It was an early french rifle I believe with the packing of gunpowder made as the rear of the bullet. I thought it was a newer arrow tip but it has the packing and matches one of the earliest guns ever brought out west.
The standing Eagles were 1917-1918. The smaller steel only spoon is Buffalo volunteer issue and the suspenders buckle was probably from there as are the buttons. The silver medal was probably a Horse harness ornament. You can see the silver on the Officers Spoon.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]I found those Buffalo Soldier trinkets where Captain Frederick H.L. “Blondy” Ryder [FONT=&quot]and 30 men of [/FONT]Troop E engaged in the last Indian fight in history in early 1918. I believe the standing eagle to be from the pocket of old Blondy himself but it probably was a weeks pay for one of those guys. [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

https://patrickmurfin.blogspot.com/2014/01/bear-valleythe-real-last-battle-of.html

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Finds Steve and Bill...I think both the silver spoons are identical...Steve, that wire loop looks like am improvised handle for warming a cup or mold in a fire...nice work Gents.

Edit: Forgot to add...the blade looks like a spokeshave blade. Maybe the wire loop is for warming a can of Old-Timey Dinty Moore?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread