James Addison Reavis would be proud

OP
OP
Lucky Baldwin

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stumbled across this today. Is from the Sunday, March 5, 1978 edition of the Arizona Republic, Phoenix, Arizona.

PeraltaDocs1.png
PeraltaDocs2.png
PeraltaDocs3.png
PeraltaDocs4.png

Very Interesting. Reavis did place forged documents in the archives in Mexico City. That was Reavis' "ace-in-the-hole." This leads me to believe that Reavis had nothing to do with the "Peralta" stones. He had something MUCH better planned. But a clerical error (misfiling), derailed his gravy train. Bet he wasn't too proud of that one...

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that he DID align his claim to what he called a "monumento inicial"......hmmm :icon_thumright:
Any idea that a so-called "Witch" would sway a decision for his claim didn't make sense to me, anyhow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lucky Baldwin

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice article, Lucky...I wonder if Fr. Polzer destroyed those documents?

For anyone who hasn't gotten a copy of Royal Johnson's "Adverse Report of the Surveyor General", it can be downloaded at: www.archive.org/details/adversereportofs00arizrich

Good find, Jim. I've read several newspaper articles that quoted it, but I've never seen the actual report.

I'm thinking Fr. Polzer probably turned the documents over to the Mexican authorities. What happened to them after that is anybody's guess...

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

That was something he was skilled at. His official position was one of goodwill and general skeptic of buried Jesuit treasure, of which he wrote about, often. His unofficial position was one of redaction, as far as the history of the company in its first incarnation.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For anyone who hasn't gotten a copy of Royal Johnson's "Adverse Report of the Surveyor General", it can be downloaded at: www.archive.org/details/adversereportofs00arizrich

I can't see any reason why he would have, since the documents didn't point any fingers toward or claim Jesuit malfeasance . Besides, he obviously reported the find as per the article. I doubt the Order had the final say in land grants of that type anyway. Weren't such titles, at least for original grants, legitimized by Royal or later, by Mexican Government Decree ?
The best thing for him to have done, and likely did, was to see that it was transferred to a file under it's own header within the archives.....making it easier for other researchers to locate in the future.

OP
OP
Lucky Baldwin

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was something he was skilled at. His official position was one of goodwill and general skeptic of buried Jesuit treasure, of which he wrote about, often. His unofficial position was one of redaction, as far as the history of the company in its first incarnation.

Am I understanding you correctly? Are you saying Fr. Polzer intentionally distroyed historical documents that painted the Jesuits in a bad light? Are you calling Fr. Polzer a liar?

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Am I understanding you correctly? Are you saying Fr. Polzer intentionally distroyed historical documents that painted the Jesuits in a bad light? Are you calling Fr. Polzer a liar?

Never said he destroyed anything.

As to his duplicity, or dual-purpose, I will let you judge from this story: while he loudly denied any existence of buried Jesuit treasure, there is the story that when a newspaper article in Mexico proclaimed that Tayopa had been discovered (it turned out otherwise), Polzer flew down with a companion to claim it on behalf of the church. He was so insistent the government ran him out of the country and he lost his luggage in the process. Polzer himself does write about losing the luggage in the appropriate time frame of that article, but claims he was down there on a "tree-ringing history chronology project" despite having never before talked about the subject of "tree-ringing" or professing any sort of expertise in that field.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I wasn't paying attention...had to go back and re-read the article...for some reason I had thought the forgeries Fr. Polzer found were in records owned by the Church...

The reason I asked was that Marius posted earlier that the forgeries from the court case had been destroyed...was just wondering what happens to forged documents when they are found...in any case, it would be interesting to see these documents if they still exist.

OP
OP
Lucky Baldwin

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never said he destroyed anything.

As to his duplicity, or dual-purpose, I will let you judge from this story: while he loudly denied any existence of buried Jesuit treasure, there is the story that when a newspaper article in Mexico proclaimed that Tayopa had been discovered (it turned out otherwise), Polzer flew down with a companion to claim it on behalf of the church. He was so insistent the government ran him out of the country and he lost his luggage in the process. Polzer himself does write about losing the luggage in the appropriate time frame of that article, but claims he was down there on a "tree-ringing history chronology project" despite having never before talked about the subject of "tree-ringing" or professing any sort of expertise in that field.

Thanks Mr. deducer for the clarification. The reason I asked was because Jim asked " I wonder if Fr. Polzer destroyed those documents." And your reply was "That was something he was skilled at."

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Mr. deducer for the clarification. The reason I asked was because Jim asked " I wonder if Fr. Polzer destroyed those documents." And your reply was "That was something he was skilled at."

You're right, I should have worded it better. To me, removing documents or research from the public eye under the guise of "safekeeping" is effectively equivalent to destroying them.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fATHER P OLZER AND i WERE FRIENDS, i HAVE EARLY POSTED ON THIS. HE ALWAYS SAID THAT THE jESUITS DID NO MINING, BUT BETWEEN ORO WE GOT HIM TO GRUDGINGLY ADMIT TH AT THERE WERE FEW ROGUE PRIESTS THAT DID. hE BECAME A PERSONAL FRIEND THEY SENT ME AN EMAIL. TELLING ME THAT HE HAD DIED THE AFTERNOON THAT HE WAS DUE FOR RECONSTURCTIVE SURGERY, AT SANTA BARBARA.
E HAS UNDERGONE HIS PRESURGERY AND RETIRED TO HIS ROOM TO WAIT. WHEN THEY WENT TO HIS ROOM, THEY FOUND HIM DEAD, SPAIN HONORED HIM FOR HIS EFFORTS TO CANONIZE fRi KINO. NEVER DID FIND OUT IF HE PERSONALLY BELIEVED THAT.TAYOPA WAS WORKED BY THE JESUITS .
A
A NONCOMMITTAL REMARK THAT I'LL DANCE AT ITS OPENING, .WAS AS NEAR AS HE EVER CAME ,OTHER THAN JUST KEEPING QUIET.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions