JESSIE CAPEN.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt very much that there are any rules to hiding treasure

Rules exist for everything .
For every treasure separately exist its own rules in regards to find it . In the stone maps set , the Priest " tells " the rules . If you don't follow the rules , you will never find the treasure .
Other treasure rules are based in poems , crypted words ( in numbers or metaphors ) or signs , which should to follow .
Treasure without hiding rules is just a lost forever treasure .

Last edited:

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That cliff that Jesse fell from is the same cliff with the cave that Bilbrey and Farr attempted to rappel down into.
Matthew

Well that begs the question , what is in this cave ? Surely one of :notworthy:you guys:notworthy: has rappelled down and taken a peek... am I right ?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it, there's only one rule to hiding treasure: "Make sure nobody else sees you hide it."

This is the second rule . The first is " Find a place for hiding which would be in a place out of every suspicion and will not provoke the curiosity of future seekers .
The first rule don't match with the region of the cave where Jesse fell .

Last edited:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rules exist for everything .
For every treasure separately exist its own rules in regards to find it . In the stone maps set , the Priest " tells " the rules . If you don't follow the rules , you will never find the treasure .
Other treasure rules are based in poems , crypted words ( in numbers or metaphors ) or signs , which should to follow .
Treasure without hiding rules is just a lost forever treasure .

I think I originally misunderstood your use of the word rules. I thought you were implying that there was some sort of general "steps" to be followed if you are going to hide a treasure - as though there is a book out there with specific rules you have to follow. I see how that you're using the word more like the word "clues." My mistake.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I originally misunderstood your use of the word rules. I thought you were implying that there was some sort of general "steps" to be followed if you are going to hide a treasure - as though there is a book out there with specific rules you have to follow. I see how that you're using the word more like the word "clues." My mistake.

It's Ok . Was free for any interpretation . I was talking about rules .

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to add a note here, for some clarification. Jesse had a library of books and maps, literally, taller than I am. The map that he brought with him, for where he intended to travel was not at home, it is now in my possession. It was not the area to which is being referred to by most folks. Jesse had changed his mind of where he thought it was, and contacted an expert on 2 separate occasions to get the "feel of the land" of that area. As a last note, I'm not all that sure that we are talking about the same person who spent the night at the motel with Jesse. And he is alive and well.

Mrs.O

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to add a note here, for some clarification. Jesse had a library of books and maps, literally, taller than I am. The map that he brought with him, for where he intended to travel was not at home, it is now in my possession. It was not the area to which is being referred to by most folks. Jesse had changed his mind of where he thought it was, and contacted an expert on 2 separate occasions to get the "feel of the land" of that area. As a last note, I'm not all that sure that we are talking about the same person who spent the night at the motel with Jesse. And he is alive and well.

Mrs.O

That's a good thing, is it not ?

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mrs.O

Mrs ORO, Good Day, May I politely ask how you ended up with Jessie Capen's map or maps? In the beginning I thought his disappearance it was a stunt. Then later we all found out he attempted a short cut after dark and fell off a cliff. I was shocked and felt sorry for his mother. He became part of the Legend in a bad way like so many others. Sad!

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Mrs ORO, Good Day, May I politely ask how you ended up with Jessie Capen's map or maps? In the beginning I thought his disappearance it was a stunt. Then later we all found out he attempted a short cut after dark and fell off a cliff. I was shocked and felt sorry for his mother. He became part of the Legend in a bad way like so many others. Sad!
fell off a cliff or pushed?:dontknow:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
If you weren't there, it all depends on what you might want to believe happened.....
People DO die from falls out there.....often.
lol..old people die from falls..in their bathrooms...i know dozens of people (including me) that have been hiking in the supers and many other mountain ranges for years and never fell to their death...just saying..

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol..old people die from falls..in their bathrooms...i know dozens of people (including me) that have been hiking in the supers and many other mountain ranges for years and never fell to their death...just saying..

In all the years I've been hiking I've never fell off anything. Shattered both legs once from to heavy a backpack load but never fell even when my legs went rubbery from carrying it!

That was the day before I found out from an MRI my shins were both filled with hairline fractures! It took about two months to heal the bones back to normal. I think I attempted hiking the Superstitions during that time with Randy Wright and couldn't make it very far because of the leg pain.

You think he was pushed?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's a risk we all take though, if we have enough confidence in our abilities to climb up or down to where we want to go.
I've been doing it myself for over 50 years, without any serious mishaps. But that doesn't mean that it can't happen if I screw up for some reason. So I weigh the risks continually. I don't do near the end of the day, what I will do earlier, for example. Especially on the first day out or in the dark, which is where he may have gone wrong IMO. If he was off his planned route, and in an area unfamiliar to himself, that also would increase the risk of such an accident.

DSCF1322 Apr 2017.jpg DSCF1332 Apr 2017.jpg

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a risk we all take though, if we have enough confidence in our abilities to climb up or down to where we want to go.
I've been doing it myself for over 50 years, without any serious mishaps. But that doesn't mean that it can't happen if I screw up for some reason. So I weigh the risks continually. I don't do near the end of the day, what I will do earlier, for example. Especially on the first day out or in the dark, which is where he may have gone wrong IMO. If he was off his planned route, and in an area unfamiliar to himself, that also would increase the risk of such an accident.

View attachment 1621520 View attachment 1621521

Is that where he fell from? It looks pretty obvious it's a cliff I don't see how anyone could walk off that on purpose. Unless he was suicidal. I know what you mean starting before sunrise to get to a certain spot before the heat hits. Or to get back out before dusk. Is the first photo of the cliff from the bottom and the second the top?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first is the area near where Bilbrey had his claims, and where he said he found the Stone Crosses.
The second is looking north towards Tortilla Ranch and trailhead, with Indian Spring down to the right of the photo.
Not sure exactly where Capen fell, but I've hiked along that cliff in the distance, left to right and in the dark with a flashlight. It's possible to get down to the bottom from the end. but without light, it would be suicidal to try at either location. High winds and rain would make it doubly so.....even with a flashlight.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Is that where he fell from? It looks pretty obvious it's a cliff I don't see how anyone could walk off that on purpose. Unless he was suicidal. I know what you mean starting before sunrise to get to a certain spot before the heat hits. Or to get back out before dusk. Is the first photo of the cliff from the bottom and the second the top?
most sane people don't look for treasure on the edge of a cliff (because nobody hides treasure on a cliff)

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
most sane people don't look for treasure on the edge of a cliff (because nobody hides treasure on a cliff)

A while back you asked Wayne (somehiker) if I was for real. Looks like you missed the easter egg he gifted you in one of them pics.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sane people don't look for treasure anyway, do they ?

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
deducer..i miss alot of things..are you talking about the guy with the hat in the pic?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread