JESSIE CAPEN.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave that guy with the hat is a ventriloquist as he's got a Jerry Mahoney doll on his back.

Damn those things give me the creeps!

Just a backpack with a Keffiyeh tied on top of it. Good for dipping in water and wrapping around your neck or head to cool off, or to wipe the sweat off. :icon_thumright:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am friends with Jesse's mom. On our first outing to help in the search for Jesse, we went to his mom's house and she gave me some things that he had out in the Supes (she had brought them back, along with his Jeep). It gave us an opportunity to get some idea of where he was headed, what info he took with him etc. I also shared this info with Search and Rescue, and others who were at the Lost Dutchman Rendezvous that year. We had the opportunity to view his books etc., so we could see some things he highlighted, and that sort of thing.

Mrs.O

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Mrs ORO, Good Day, May I politely ask how you ended up with Jessie Capen's map or maps? In the beginning I thought his disappearance it was a stunt. Then later we all found out he attempted a short cut after dark and fell off a cliff. I was shocked and felt sorry for his mother. He became part of the Legend in a bad way like so many others. Sad!

Not to answer for the Mrs but the maps were given to her by Jesse's mother. Interesting that Jesse "Fell" off the cliff and his backpack was nearby but not on him. Did he take it off and throw it aside while falling, or toss it before falling, or...?

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Not to answer for the Mrs but the maps were given to her by Jesse's mother. Interesting that Jesse "Fell" off the cliff and his backpack was nearby but not on him. Did he take it off and throw it aside while falling, or toss it before falling, or...?

roy....the lad definitely had help falling off the cliff:dontknow:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
roy....the lad definitely had help falling off the cliff:dontknow:

Agreed. I noticed that several people made an assumption about who or whom was also there on Tortilla mountain that day, however there are two others whom were partners with that person at the time and also very likely present. Both are still alive and well. One of these fellows had actually shot a man before, whom was robbing his business with a toy gun. The robber had to beg him to stop shooting him after he was already down on the floor. Same fellow also posted a very odd post which has since been removed, in which he was begging God to "forgive us" for "what we have done" and when I asked him what he was talking about, he never answered and removed that post. Two items were found on Tortilla mountain that certainly suggest that something happened on that mountain before Jesse went off that cliff.

Quote from the movie Treasure of the Sierra Madre:
"We wouldn't have to shoot him necessarily, we could push him off one of these rocks and claim it as an accident." -> Fred C. Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart)

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Oro

I am looking for a motivation of someone who wanted Jesse dead , and I can't say there was any strong ones . Was he in a dispute with another person for the search region ? Is the only motivation that I can stand on for the moment with the info which we have about Jesse research .

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Agreed. I noticed that several people made an assumption about who or whom was also there on Tortilla mountain that day, however there are two others whom were partners with that person at the time and also very likely present. Both are still alive and well. One of these fellows had actually shot a man before, whom was robbing his business with a toy gun. The robber had to beg him to stop shooting him after he was already down on the floor. Same fellow also posted a very odd post which has since been removed, in which he was begging God to "forgive us" for "what we have done" and when I asked him what he was talking about, he never answered and removed that post. Two items were found on Tortilla mountain that certainly suggest that something happened on that mountain before Jesse went off that cliff.

"We wouldn't have to shoot him necessarily, we could push him off one of these rocks and claim it as an accident." -> Fred C. Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart)

roy...i've seen this many time before...its usually the partner that does the foul deed...research the Hawaiians that were involved in a shooting up there in 1959

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Roy:

You and Beth should give a presentation at the Rendezvous this year. I'm sure many of us would find it very interesting, to say the least. Have you shared all this evidence and the names of those you believe were involved with the Sheriffs department ?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hi Roy:

You and Beth should give a presentation at the Rendezvous this year. I'm sure many of us would find it very interesting, to say the least. Have you shared all this evidence and the names of those you believe were involved with the Sheriffs department ?

Yes to the last part, don't expect that we are going to make it to the rendezvous however. Had a chat (informal) with a fairly large group a few years back at the rendezvous. Maybe the new sheriff will actually do something.

Thirsty44 wrote
Somehiker: Excellent question. I hope we get an answer at some point.

Sorry but I don't get on T-net every day or night. Life has been too busy this summer.

Markmar wrote
Hi Oro

I am looking for a motivation of someone who wanted Jesse dead , and I can't say there was any strong ones . Was he in a dispute with another person for the search region ? Is the only motivation that I can stand on for the moment with the info which we have about Jesse research .

You are using logic to try to figure out what someone did, when they were apparently not thinking things through. There have been some real whackadoos in the Superstitions and some were downright dangerous, might hurt you just to try to 'scare you off' from "their" spot or camp, when they are convinced they are on to the LDM. You or I might not have any reason to harm someone that wandered too close to our camp, but there are people that get pretty crazy. I have had a loaded gun waved in my face when I was trying to prevent someone from falling into a mine shaft for example. I hope you do not run into this kind of person.

:coffee2: :coffee2:

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like someone rifled through the pack looking for something they knew was in there then threw the pack over after he was pushed. Just like Adolf Ruth's murder! Someone was after his maps! He must've been onto some real evidence of a possible site. Poor guy. Did he have a fire arm on him out there?

Never turn your back on anyone when your out in the range Treasure Hunting. Even supposed friends can turn against you. Gold fever can turn a man dirty. Many have murdered for gold. You can't trust anyone anymore. The legends tell that even the Dutchman himself turned heathen and murdered for the mine.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of years ago, I was talking to a member of Search & Rescue at the Rendezvous. He said that many of Jesse's front teeth were broken in a way that didn't look like it was from the fall. He said that he wanted to look on top of the cliff for pieces of broken teeth. I haven't spoken to him since.

Mike

WallyF

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2013
Gilbert
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how many have actually been to the location. I've attached some good images of the exact location. The first three were taken about a week after SSAR found Jesse. The Google Earth image was downloaded February 2013 but the satellite image is from June 2012 so before the actual discovery. The area is pretty rough so the day pack could have been missed from ten feet away.

img_1492.jpg img_1493.jpg img_1498.jpg JC found2.jpg

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Wally,

Thanks for the photos.

Does the Google Earth picture with the center of the red ellipse indicate the location of the site where Jesse’s remains were found? Do you have the GPS coordinates of the exact location?

Why don’t Jesse’s remains show up in the 2012 photo?

Does the photo with the pink ribbon indicate where the lumbar pack was found?

Can you provide a description of the significance or the other two photos?

Thanks for any details you can share!

I’m sure I’m probably confused and misinterpreting something.

Garry

Last edited:

WallyF

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2013
Gilbert
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garry,

The pink ribbon was left by SSAR. There were several ribbons but that one is below the crevice where the remains were located. The other two photos with the water stains are a front view of the same area. The crevice is above the water stain. I backed away to get a better overview but as you can see in the third picture the terrain slopes down quick. The area in the red circle is the view from above. You can see the top of the crevice but Jesse is below the surface. The day pack was located below the cliff in front of the water stain. 33.475783N, 111.317916W

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions