Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Did dick Holmes father ever help search for the ldm?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2008
    4883 times
    looks typical of the 400,000 or so mine tunnels in arizona
    PotBelly Jim likes this.

us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1098 times
    Old Jesuits and Spainish Mines
    Quote Originally Posted by azdave35 View Post
    looks typical of the 400,000 or so mine tunnels in arizona
    These are in the Supers, that would cut the 400,000 down at least by a few.

Babymick1

us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1098 times
    Where is Peters Mesa, after the three Red hills or before.

Babymick1
    PotBelly Jim likes this.

us
    Dec 2008
    4883 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wrmickel1 View Post
    These are in the Supers, that would cut the 400,000 down at least by a few.

Babymick1
    mick...despite what the govt says about no minerals worth mining in the supers there are hundreds of tunnels and shafts in there
    wrmickel1 and autofull like this.

us
    Sep 2018
    Cave Creek, Az
    60 times
    Relic Hunting
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Roberts View Post
    Steve Jenkins, ..... You are correct, the RJ Holmes Sr. Onyx mine is past Seven Springs on that Forest road. Also, exactly 13 miles from Seven Springs on that Forest road you come to the 51 ranch, the old Matt and Tom Cavaness cattle ranch. The original stone ranch house stands alongside the road on the right hand side. Just down the road at the bottom of the hill is Holmes Creek and Holmes canyon. If you follow the creek to the west for 1 mile you come to the foundation of the Holmes cabin where Dick Holmes learned the dutchman story from John Phipps.
    I am amazed at your knowledge Mathew. It is ironic, I was waiting to pick up some clients at Harolds just a few weeks back and I was approached by a guy in a very muddy late model Ford pickup. He was looking for a place to wash it as it was a rental. While there is a car wash literally next door, he was looking for a place where he could wash it himself.

I asked where he had been and he said he had traveled from Bloody Basin during a snow storm and he came across a lost dog with contact info on the collar. He had a cell signal and the dog belonged to someone that was staying at the 51 ranch.

Presumably Phipps was telling this story before the death of JW?
    Last edited by Steve Jenkins; Mar 12, 2019 at 09:06 AM.
    autofull likes this.

us
    Apr 2013
    Huntington Beach California
    3171 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I

I am amazed at your knowledge Mathew. It is ironic, I was waiting to pick up some clients at Harolds just a few weeks back and I was approached by a guy in a very muddy late model Ford pickup. He was looking for a place to wash it as it was a rental. While there is a car wash literally next door, he was looking for a place where he could wash it himself.

I asked where he had been and he said he had traveled from Bloody Basin during a snow storm and he came across a lost dog with contact info on the collar. He had a cell signal and the dog belonged to someone that was staying at the 51 ranch.

Presumably Phipps was telling this story before the death of JW?

Steve Jenkins, .... Yes, Dick Holmes heard the story that Jacob Waltz had a goldmine in the Superstitions and that John Phipps had followed Waltz at one time. Phipps told Holmes this account at Holmes ranch in Bloody Basin sometime around 1885.

Some 6 years later Dick Holmes was at Waltz's bedside in Phoenix the night Waltz died in October 1891.

Matthew
    markmar and coazon de oro like this.

us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1098 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Roberts View Post
    Steve Jenkins, .... Yes, Dick Holmes heard the story that Jacob Waltz had a goldmine in the Superstitions and that John Phipps had followed Waltz at one time. Phipps told Holmes this account at Holmes ranch in Bloody Basin sometime around 1885.

Some 6 years later Dick Holmes was at Waltz's bedside in Phoenix the night Waltz died in October 1891.

Matthew
    Yeah, I’m not sold on this Story, I’ve been in the supers a lot in the last ten years. All one has to do is perch on hi ground and there’s no problem seeing where people go. I’m going with the (I was there story )after the fact Waltz had passed. Like back in those days how many people ventured in there, Not a lot I bet, there’s a lot of soft ground to cover I’d exspect Waltz and his mule would not be hard to track, It just don’t add up no one could track him. I could,

Babymick1

us
    Dec 2008
    4883 times
    Yeah, I’m not sold on this Story, I’ve been in the supers a lot in the last ten years. All one has to do is perch on hi ground and there’s no problem seeing where people go. I’m going with the (I was there story )after the fact Waltz had passed. Like back in those days how many people ventured in there, Not a lot I bet, there’s a lot of soft ground to cover I’d exspect Waltz and his mule would not be hard to track, It just don’t add up no one could track him. I could,

Babymick1
    mick..you have been reading to many books..waltz didnt make a million trips into the supers..truth be told he was probably only in there a handfull of times

Windrider

Mar 2014
    708 times
    Dave do you think Mick could follow Mary's (donkey) tracks across Elephant Butte? Maybe along the stream in Whitlow Canyon to the flowing spring, but across the ridge where it is solid rock?
    Last edited by sailaway; Mar 12, 2019 at 11:48 PM.
    PotBelly Jim likes this.

us
    Dec 2008
    4883 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
    Dave do you think Mick could follow Mary's tracks across Elephant Butte?
    i dont think mick could track anyone in the supers...if he really thinks he can then he has never been in there...i also think if anyone tried to track someone as nuts as waltz up there...that person would end up dead

Oct 2007
    122 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Here is a pic of Bob Corbins ring said to contain gold from waltz death bed box of rocksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-02-14-19-57-011.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	313.8 KB 
ID:	1690278
    PotBelly Jim likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    1170 times

Babymick1
    Mick, you must be an experienced tracker. Might want to volunteer your services to the rescue folks...anyway, if you had ever followed Waltz, while you were looking down at Waltz's tracks, at some point you would have "become one" with a load of buckshot and showed up at St. Pete's gate with a confused look on your face about how you got there. Or if he was in a good mood, he would have just smiled and traveled on to somewhere else, leaving you convinced you now knew where the mine was...I think that's happened before?

Take care, Jim
    larrywv, markmar and coazon de oro like this.

Jan 2014
    3058 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PotBelly Jim View Post
    Mick, you must be an experienced tracker. Might want to volunteer your services to the rescue folks...anyway, if you had ever followed Waltz, while you were looking down at Waltz's tracks, at some point you would have "become one" with a load of buckshot and showed up at St. Pete's gate with a confused look on your face about how you got there. Or if he was in a good mood, he would have just smiled and traveled on to somewhere else, leaving you convinced you now knew where the mine was...I think that's happened before?

Take care, Jim
    Back in the day when tracking was much more of a skill and a lot more necessary, Waltz was able to elude them all. I'm pretty sure he had himself a big bag of tricks- areas where he could loop back and cut his own track, or shake his tails. Alternatively (and as I read) he could just lull you to sleep by plodding, then suddenly altering his routine or travel speed.

The place Waltz caught Holmes trailing him, just past Tortilla Flat is pretty exposed because you had to cross the creek to get to the other side to keep following him, and that is where Waltz had sprung his trap, sitting on a boulder and waiting for Holmes to unknowingly step out into the open.
    PotBelly Jim and autofull like this.

gr
    Oct 2012
    4735 times
    Where is Peters Mesa, after the three Red hills or before.

Babymick1
    Traveling east to west or west to east ?
    PotBelly Jim likes this.
    Marius

There are many doors in and out of the mnts,but none so hidden as the ones in front of you.
    Do you possess the knowledge of the spirit to let you enter them? NP

If your true to your heart,you will never go wrong.The truth is the truth,no matter how you look at it,and in every treasure story and legend there is a grain of truth . It's up to your spirit and heart to know the difference. NP

gr
    Oct 2012
    4735 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Here is a pic of Bob Corbins ring said to contain gold from waltz death bed box of rocksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-02-14-19-57-011.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	313.8 KB 
ID:	1690278
    Hi Dan

Few believe is Waltz's candlebox ore and others believe is like Waltz ore from a different mine. Only Matthew Roberts can shed little light in this case.
    PotBelly Jim and autofull like this.
    Marius

There are many doors in and out of the mnts,but none so hidden as the ones in front of you.
    Do you possess the knowledge of the spirit to let you enter them? NP

If your true to your heart,you will never go wrong.The truth is the truth,no matter how you look at it,and in every treasure story and legend there is a grain of truth . It's up to your spirit and heart to know the difference. NP

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links