Did dick Holmes father ever help search for the ldm?

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I

I am amazed at your knowledge Mathew. It is ironic, I was waiting to pick up some clients at Harolds just a few weeks back and I was approached by a guy in a very muddy late model Ford pickup. He was looking for a place to wash it as it was a rental. While there is a car wash literally next door, he was looking for a place where he could wash it himself.

I asked where he had been and he said he had traveled from Bloody Basin during a snow storm and he came across a lost dog with contact info on the collar. He had a cell signal and the dog belonged to someone that was staying at the 51 ranch.

Presumably Phipps was telling this story before the death of JW?

Steve Jenkins, .... Yes, Dick Holmes heard the story that Jacob Waltz had a goldmine in the Superstitions and that John Phipps had followed Waltz at one time. Phipps told Holmes this account at Holmes ranch in Bloody Basin sometime around 1885.

Some 6 years later Dick Holmes was at Waltz's bedside in Phoenix the night Waltz died in October 1891.

Matthew

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve Jenkins, .... Yes, Dick Holmes heard the story that Jacob Waltz had a goldmine in the Superstitions and that John Phipps had followed Waltz at one time. Phipps told Holmes this account at Holmes ranch in Bloody Basin sometime around 1885.

Some 6 years later Dick Holmes was at Waltz's bedside in Phoenix the night Waltz died in October 1891.

Matthew

Yeah, I’m not sold on this Story, I’ve been in the supers a lot in the last ten years. All one has to do is perch on hi ground and there’s no problem seeing where people go. I’m going with the (I was there story )after the fact Waltz had passed. Like back in those days how many people ventured in there, Not a lot I bet, there’s a lot of soft ground to cover I’d exspect Waltz and his mule would not be hard to track, It just don’t add up no one could track him. I could,

Babymick1

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Yeah, I’m not sold on this Story, I’ve been in the supers a lot in the last ten years. All one has to do is perch on hi ground and there’s no problem seeing where people go. I’m going with the (I was there story )after the fact Waltz had passed. Like back in those days how many people ventured in there, Not a lot I bet, there’s a lot of soft ground to cover I’d exspect Waltz and his mule would not be hard to track, It just don’t add up no one could track him. I could,

Babymick1
mick..you have been reading to many books..waltz didnt make a million trips into the supers..truth be told he was probably only in there a handfull of times

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave do you think Mick could follow Mary's (donkey) tracks across Elephant Butte? Maybe along the stream in Whitlow Canyon to the flowing spring, but across the ridge where it is solid rock?

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave do you think Mick could follow Mary's tracks across Elephant Butte?
i dont think mick could track anyone in the supers...if he really thinks he can then he has never been in there...i also think if anyone tried to track someone as nuts as waltz up there...that person would end up dead

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Here is a pic of Bob Corbins ring said to contain gold from waltz death bed box of rocks Screenshot_2019-02-14-19-57-011.jpg

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other

Babymick1

Mick, you must be an experienced tracker. Might want to volunteer your services to the rescue folks...anyway, if you had ever followed Waltz, while you were looking down at Waltz's tracks, at some point you would have "become one" with a load of buckshot and showed up at St. Pete's gate with a confused look on your face about how you got there. Or if he was in a good mood, he would have just smiled and traveled on to somewhere else, leaving you convinced you now knew where the mine was...I think that's happened before?

Take care, Jim

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Mick, you must be an experienced tracker. Might want to volunteer your services to the rescue folks...anyway, if you had ever followed Waltz, while you were looking down at Waltz's tracks, at some point you would have "become one" with a load of buckshot and showed up at St. Pete's gate with a confused look on your face about how you got there. Or if he was in a good mood, he would have just smiled and traveled on to somewhere else, leaving you convinced you now knew where the mine was...I think that's happened before?

Take care, Jim

Back in the day when tracking was much more of a skill and a lot more necessary, Waltz was able to elude them all. I'm pretty sure he had himself a big bag of tricks- areas where he could loop back and cut his own track, or shake his tails. Alternatively (and as I read) he could just lull you to sleep by plodding, then suddenly altering his routine or travel speed.

The place Waltz caught Holmes trailing him, just past Tortilla Flat is pretty exposed because you had to cross the creek to get to the other side to keep following him, and that is where Waltz had sprung his trap, sitting on a boulder and waiting for Holmes to unknowingly step out into the open.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of Bob Corbins ring said to contain gold from waltz death bed box of rocks View attachment 1690278

Hi Dan

Few believe is Waltz's candlebox ore and others believe is like Waltz ore from a different mine. Only Matthew Roberts can shed little light in this case.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hi Dan

Few believe is Waltz's candlebox ore and others believe is like Waltz ore from a different mine. Only Matthew Roberts can shed little light in this case.
the matchbox is bonafide dutch ore from under the bed...there has been enough testing to prove that...the ring on the other hand...alot of controversy over it

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the matchbox is bonafide dutch ore from under the bed...there has been enough testing to prove that...the ring on the other hand...alot of controversy over it

azdave35, ..... There is no controversy over the ore when you understand how and where the ring ore came from. The only controversy comes from persons who have made false statements about that ore without knowing anything about where and how that ore originated.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
azdave35, ..... There is no controversy over the ore when you understand how and where the ring ore came from. The only controversy comes from persons who have made false statements about that ore without knowing anything about where and how that ore originated.
you misunderstood me matthew..i didnt say the ring was bogus..i really dont know if it is or not..i just said there is some drama over it...

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you misunderstood me matthew..i didnt say the ring was bogus..i really dont know if it is or not..i just said there is some drama over it...

azdave35, ..... Yes I know that Dave. The drama and false statements have nothing to do with the actual ore, rather personal attacks not related to the ore.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other

Bonafide against What Dave,

I have no skin in the game, a friend of yours, a word of his is not Bonafide! I’ll tell you right now that Matchbox is made in three layers, The stock box, the banding and the Quarts Gold Inlays of thin layers, Now that’s Bonafide.

Prove me wrong anyone

Babymick1

Last edited:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other

Take care, Jim

Jim

I never carry a scatter gun, there’s no range to them, but I’m real sure I could drop your donkey while your on it at seven hundred yards,no problem.

And I’ve tracked my grandfathers cattle on his 18 square mile ranch/farm in the dakota’s At nine years old on up. In the sixties this was the Wild West, Now if any of you dubs can’t here a donkey clattering his shoes in those canyons why are you even looking for anything in there, Greenhorn

Babymick1

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other

Then say it Matthew
You got some truth put it out there.
Till then since I’m the only one with apparent balls on here, We be going with my word.

Wayne R Mickelson

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Bonafide against What Dave,

I have no skin in the game, a friend of yours, a word of his is not Bonafide! I’ll tell you right now that Matchbox is made in three layers, The stock box, the banding and the Quarts Gold Inlays of thin layers, Now that’s Bonafide.

Prove me wrong anyone

Babymick1
mick...it is an ancient form of lapidary called intarsia

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Jim

I never carry a scatter gun, there’s no range to them, but I’m real sure I could drop your donkey while your on it at seven hundred yards,no problem.

And I’ve tracked my grandfathers cattle on his 18 square mile ranch/farm in the dakota’s At nine years old on up. In the sixties this was the Wild West, Now if any of you dubs can’t here a donkey clattering his shoes in those canyons why are you even looking for anything in there, Greenhorn

Babymick1
no need for threats mick..its a friendly discussion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread