Did dick Holmes father ever help search for the ldm?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
R

rk85044

Aug 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dick...it seems a bit odd that a young man would not
share his tale and quest with his immediate family...
Since he had no siblings...

Unless there was an infirmary or death...

Thank you

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dick Holmes SR. came to Arizona while it still belonged to Mexico, and was born in 1833. Dick Holmes JR was born in 1865. Dick Holmes SR was 75 in the AZ Voter Registration in 1908. That makes him 58 in 1891 when Waltz died. He also listed his profession as MINING. He probably did hunt the LDM with Dick Jr. We know for sure Dick Jr hunted it with Brownie until he hurt his foot.

Mike

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Dick Holmes SR. came to Arizona while it still belonged to Mexico, and was born in 1833. Dick Holmes JR was born in 1865. Dick Holmes SR was 75 in the AZ Voter Registration in 1908. That makes him 58 in 1891 when Waltz died. He also listed his profession as MINING. He probably did hunt the LDM with Dick Jr. We know for sure Dick Jr hunted it with Brownie until he hurt his foot.

Mike

Excellent reasoning and logic, was about to post very much the same thing when I saw your post. We actually don't know though do we? It seems very illogical that Sr would NOT have gone with Dick Jr to hunt for the mine, but I have never heard anything to settle that question absolutely either. :dontknow:
Roy

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if Wayne can get Clay to the rendezvous this year, we can find out for sure.

Since Pops Holmes was a miner, I think it is likely he did.

Steve Jenkins

Sep 3, 2018
Cave Creek, Az
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe I located the area of the Onyx mine that Richard Holmes once owned that is beyond the Seven Springs location on Fr24.

I also believe Richard Holmes was involved in Ranching and had a good sized ranch located somewhere along the road to Bloody Basin which is not all that far from the location of the mine.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I located the area of the Onyx mine that Richard Holmes once owned that is beyond the Seven Springs location on Fr24.

I also believe Richard Holmes was involved in Ranching and had a good sized ranch located somewhere along the road to Bloody Basin which is not all that far from the location of the mine.
Steve Jenkins, ..... You are correct, the RJ Holmes Sr. Onyx mine is past Seven Springs on that Forest road. Also, exactly 13 miles from Seven Springs on that Forest road you come to the 51 ranch, the old Matt and Tom Cavaness cattle ranch. The original stone ranch house stands alongside the road on the right hand side. Just down the road at the bottom of the hill is Holmes Creek and Holmes canyon. If you follow the creek to the west for 1 mile you come to the foundation of the Holmes cabin where Dick Holmes learned the dutchman story from John Phipps.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey that last statement sure changes the Dick Holmes story from what the record states. May I ask or take a guess, I’m pretty sure your gonna say the gold ore from the Velinca Mine of the Peralta’s was Gold in white Quarts,

hummmm Babymick1

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that last statement sure changes the Dick Holmes story from what the record states. May I ask or take a guess, I’m pretty sure your gonna say the gold ore from the Velinca Mine of the Peralta’s was Gold in white Quarts,

hummmm Babymick1
I think you misunderstand. Dick Holmes first learned of Jacob Waltz and his mine from John Phipps at the Holmes ranch in Bloody Basin. When Waltz died some 8 years later Dick Holmes was at Waltz bedside and heard the mines story from Waltz himself. Two separate stories from two separate people some 8 years apart. I don't have any opinion of the Valencia ore so am not sure what you are talking about.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you misunderstand. Dick Holmes first learned of Jacob Waltz and his mine from John Phipps at the Holmes ranch in Bloody Basin. When Waltz died some 8 years later Dick Holmes was at Waltz bedside and heard the mines story from Waltz himself. Two separate stories from two separate people some 8 years apart. I don't have any opinion of the Valencia ore so am not sure what you are talking about.

No, I get it, It’s just an awkward coincidence that a guy named Peralta and Holmes both end up in the Dutchman’s lore.
Holmes follows the Dutchman around the supers in stead ask where are your mines from the Peralta Stones, Mr Peralta.
But all the Time Nothing is ever said by the Senior Holmes, Nor Jr, Then out of the blue near Brownie’s last days a Match Case, Manuscript, Affidavit, Know Dutchman Ore and a Old receipt from a essayer. plus a switch from gold in white Quarts.

Matthew, you seam to have read all things in your time. So I’d would have to assume you have read the early stories that clearly stated gold in Rose Quarts like the sample you posted. But anyway I think I might have found that mine you mentioned in the North last week.

Wrmickel1

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
No, I get it, It’s just an awkward coincidence that a guy named Peralta and Holmes both end up in the Dutchman’s lore.
Holmes follows the Dutchman around the supers in stead ask where are your mines from the Peralta Stones, Mr Peralta.
But all the Time Nothing is ever said by the Senior Holmes, Nor Jr, Then out of the blue near Brownie’s last days a Match Case, Manuscript, Affidavit, Know Dutchman Ore and a Old receipt from a essayer. plus a switch from gold in white Quarts.

Matthew, you seam to have read all things in your time. So I’d would have to assume you have read the early stories that clearly stated gold in Rose Quarts like the sample you posted. But anyway I think I might have found that mine you mentioned in the North last week.

Wrmickel1
you back on the sauce mick?

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Why no Dave, I’ve been in AZ for the last month, it was snowy and cold but not as much as home.
Just wondering why the Peralta Guy didn’t just go to the supers and dig the family stones up.

Found a few mines on the trail and a good match to Mr Hats doodle but in a total different place,

Babymick1

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Why no Dave, I’ve been in AZ for the last month, it was snowy and cold but not as much as home.
Just wondering why the Peralta Guy didn’t just go to the supers and dig the family stones up.

Found a few mines on the trail and a good match to Mr Hats doodle but in a total different place,

Babymick1
mick...the gold ore matthew posted a while back was probably from peters mesa...i dont ever remember him saying anything about finding gold in a mine north of the supers
to answer your question about peralta not going into the mountains to dig anything up...after the U.S. kicked the mexicans out in 1848 they were no longer welcome here...if they would have been caught in the mountains digging they would have been shot on site..either by the U.S. or the indians ..i'm sure peralta was aware of that

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is some of them

FC08DEA3-9587-4A77-9694-93F871DCD304.jpeg AF2B5DF3-6909-4397-B3EE-0ED4A5342F03.jpeg

1A63AA07-451D-4F47-97F2-E75E1F99DBF9.jpeg D3E14650-935F-4EE5-A429-E4725349ED3E.jpeg

62DC8223-500F-4A58-B99C-4CDF287E5466.jpeg AEB5EB66-D3C2-4B91-B2E4-6453921A3C58.jpg

0049B3FA-3055-40EF-AC8F-465F57B8F3A4.jpeg

Now witch one is the Priest

babymick1

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
These are in the Supers, that would cut the 400,000 down at least by a few.

Babymick1
mick...despite what the govt says about no minerals worth mining in the supers there are hundreds of tunnels and shafts in there

Steve Jenkins

Sep 3, 2018
Cave Creek, Az
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I
Steve Jenkins, ..... You are correct, the RJ Holmes Sr. Onyx mine is past Seven Springs on that Forest road. Also, exactly 13 miles from Seven Springs on that Forest road you come to the 51 ranch, the old Matt and Tom Cavaness cattle ranch. The original stone ranch house stands alongside the road on the right hand side. Just down the road at the bottom of the hill is Holmes Creek and Holmes canyon. If you follow the creek to the west for 1 mile you come to the foundation of the Holmes cabin where Dick Holmes learned the dutchman story from John Phipps.

I am amazed at your knowledge Mathew. It is ironic, I was waiting to pick up some clients at Harolds just a few weeks back and I was approached by a guy in a very muddy late model Ford pickup. He was looking for a place to wash it as it was a rental. While there is a car wash literally next door, he was looking for a place where he could wash it himself.

I asked where he had been and he said he had traveled from Bloody Basin during a snow storm and he came across a lost dog with contact info on the collar. He had a cell signal and the dog belonged to someone that was staying at the 51 ranch.

Presumably Phipps was telling this story before the death of JW?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread