Hdden water north of the river , whats the story?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Hdden water north of the river , whats the story?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Nov 2015
    206
    185 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Hdden water north of the river , whats the story?

    Have heard stiuf about Hidden water , Whats the stories about that place?
    Holyground likes this.

  2. #2
    us
    Executive Director of Nothing

    May 2014
    Not in the can
    Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
    514
    750 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Auga Escondido. It is in the Cottonwood Wash, just north of the Salt River, at the Mormon Crossing. It's where Jacob Waltz would hide out, regroup and where he had a major stash of his gold. A guy back in 1968, I believe it was, found a huge cache there. It's also where Jake supposedly killed his nephew and buried him in the soft sand along the rocky outcroppings. I don't believe that hog wash for a New York Second. Go in on Four Peaks road, at the big ATV parking lot, go south, or right for the directionally impaired, then you will come down into Cottonwood Camp. There is a big tank there that once held the spring water for cattle. The tank has been raped by the idiots we have to share Arizona with, spray painted with gang signs. Head South through the creek, (If you don't know witch way south is, it's thatta way +) stay in the creek a ways, and you will find some rocks and bushes that look like they're spring watered. It's on the left, or the east, for the directionally impaired.
    Last edited by Holyground; Sep 29, 2018 at 12:49 AM.

  3. #3
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,787
    6416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyground View Post
    Auga Escondido. It is in the Cottonwood Wash, just north of the Salt River, at the Mormon Crossing. It's where Jacob Waltz would hide out, regroup and where he had a major stash of his gold. A guy back in 1968, I believe it was, found a huge cache there. It's also where Jake supposedly killed his nephew and buried him in the soft sand along the rocky outcroppings. I don't believe that hog wash for a New York Second. Go in on Four Peaks road, at the big ATV parking lot, go south, or right for the directionally impaired, then you will come down into Cottonwood Camp. There is a big tank there that once held the spring water for cattle. The tank has been raped by the idiots we have to share Arizona with, spray painted with gang signs. Head South through the creek, (If you don't know witch way south is, it's thatta way +) stay in the creek a ways, and you will find some rocks and bushes that look like they're spring watered. It's on the left, or the east, for the directionally impaired.
    its disgusting what the idiots have done to cottonwood camp...when i was young there was a house there...when i first saw the house it was in good enough shape that you could have lived in it..over the years they have slowly destroyed it...there used to be a tall windmill also...the useless idiots knocked it down and stole the fan blades
    PotBelly Jim and Holyground like this.

  4. #4
    us
    digger indian

    Jul 2013
    spring texas
    fisher 1265
    676
    662 times
    Prospecting
    Great info, the (fan blades) on a windmill are known as sail's
    Holyground likes this.

  5. #5
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,787
    6416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGSCOTT View Post
    Great info, the (fan blades) on a windmill are known as sail's
    whatever they are called they are gone now....years ago i talked to the grandson of the man that built the house and everything there...if memory serves me his name was hughes..but i could be wrong...he seemed to think it was built around 1910
    PotBelly Jim and Holyground like this.

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    610
    1770 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by azdave35 View Post
    whatever they are called they are gone now....years ago i talked to the grandson of the man that built the house and everything there...if memory serves me his name was hughes..but i could be wrong...he seemed to think it was built around 1910
    Dave, I was looking at this area some time ago, and got sidetracked as usual...thanks for the lead on Hughes...from what I was able to find, Cottonwood camp was first used by rancher in the area, Steward/Stewart (not sure which spelling is correct). He had a place on the Salt, where "Stewart Mtn" and "Stewart Mtn Dam" are now...there used to be a road from his place on the north side of the Salt up to "Steward's Camp", where Cottonwood Camp is today...anyway that was before 1910, so it sounds like Hughes improved whatever was there...thanks for the lead, I'll check the recorder's office and see if I can find it...
    Holyground likes this.

  7. #7
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,787
    6416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PotBelly Jim View Post
    Dave, I was looking at this area some time ago, and got sidetracked as usual...thanks for the lead on Hughes...from what I was able to find, Cottonwood camp was first used by rancher in the area, Steward/Stewart (not sure which spelling is correct). He had a place on the Salt, where "Stewart Mtn" and "Stewart Mtn Dam" are now...there used to be a road from his place on the north side of the Salt up to "Steward's Camp", where Cottonwood Camp is today...anyway that was before 1910, so it sounds like Hughes improved whatever was there...thanks for the lead, I'll check the recorder's office and see if I can find it...
    i was researching this about 15 or so years ago...greg davis put me onto an arizona cattle ranchers museum (or something like that)..they put me onto the grandson...maybe greg will remember the name of the ranchers organization he told me about
    PotBelly Jim likes this.

  8. #8
    us
    Executive Director of Nothing

    May 2014
    Not in the can
    Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
    514
    750 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Cottonwood camp was a definite Spanish and Jesuit stopover. In their days, there were huge cottonwoods and a nice, big pool of water there. It was a beautiful desert oasis. There is a window rock to the north that when viewing through, looks down on cottonwood camp. Yes, I remeber how it was back in the 60s anyway. A lot of places that are further off the beaten path in Arizona have been destroyed by the idiots. That's why I moved to Idaho. I go for miles in the mountains here and never see one idiot. Makes for a good life.

  9. #9
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,787
    6416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyground View Post
    Cottonwood camp was a definite Spanish and Jesuit stopover. In their days, there were huge cottonwoods and a nice, big pool of water there. It was a beautiful desert oasis. There is a window rock to the north that when viewing through, looks down on cottonwood camp. Yes, I remeber how it was back in the 60s anyway. A lot of places that are further off the beaten path in Arizona have been destroyed by the idiots. That's why I moved to Idaho. I go for miles in the mountains here and never see one idiot. Makes for a good life.
    a place without idiots? ..
    Holyground likes this.

  10. #10
    us
    Executive Director of Nothing

    May 2014
    Not in the can
    Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
    514
    750 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    No, we have some idiots. They race around in their little racecars making more noise than forward motion. They don't do well in the very cold time of year, however. One was found that had slid into a snowbank last winter. He had been there all winter, frozen. He had a couple of cases of spray paint in the back seat. They all exploded from the freeze. It was a hell of a mess. The other idiots had a funeral procession in their little race cars. va-roooom, sputter, sputter, va-rooooom,sputter, sputter. One of them got stuck on a little drain dip at the intersection right in front of me. Being a good citizen, as I am, I tried to give him a little push in my Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, but I accidently went over the top of him, where he became stuck in my wheel well. It must have been a week until that thing finally came a-loose out on the highway and blew off into the bar ditch. That constant rubbing sound was getting to me, I must say. We have our idiots but they don't mess around too much in the mountains. When they pull off the road, they high center on a 3 inch rock.

  11. #11
    us
    Executive Director of Nothing

    May 2014
    Not in the can
    Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
    514
    750 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Has anyone here ever been out to the old Cottonwood Ranch? I got some history there. There's a dirt road that goes from Cottonwood Camp, east out through the hills, to the old ranch site. The Forrest Service has been trying to erase the begining of the road by running a blade past it and turning it into a cliff. When we go, we take shovels and open her up again so we can get our Rzrs through. The road out there is the only piece of ground that isn't Wilderness Area, as well as the ranch. There are two trail heads out there. I like the one that heads southeast to Long Canyon and Alder Creek. The old hunting cabin ruins are inbetween these two also. If you want to test how solid your Gonads are, hike in there in August, to Hell's Hip Pocket and stay a night. Hell's Hip Pocket looks just like Death Valley, only worse. You won't even find any Rattle Snakes there! If you want the most Supreme Backpack, head up Alder Creek Trail, which isn't a trail. It's a boulder strewn creek bottom that will, if there in the middle of summer, make you cry for your Mama! There is plenty of water and some really sweet swimming holes. I always took a little boat from Apache Lake Marina, dragged it into the bushes, then packed all over that place up there. If I was wanted by the FBI, that's where they wouldn't find me.
    PotBelly Jim likes this.

  12. #12
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,787
    6416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyground View Post
    No, we have some idiots. They race around in their little racecars making more noise than forward motion. They don't do well in the very cold time of year, however. One was found that had slid into a snowbank last winter. He had been there all winter, frozen. He had a couple of cases of spray paint in the back seat. They all exploded from the freeze. It was a hell of a mess. The other idiots had a funeral procession in their little race cars. va-roooom, sputter, sputter, va-rooooom,sputter, sputter. One of them got stuck on a little drain dip at the intersection right in front of me. Being a good citizen, as I am, I tried to give him a little push in my Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, but I accidently went over the top of him, where he became stuck in my wheel well. It must have been a week until that thing finally came a-loose out on the highway and blew off into the bar ditch. That constant rubbing sound was getting to me, I must say. We have our idiots but they don't mess around too much in the mountains. When they pull off the road, they high center on a 3 inch rock.
    lol...the spray paint was more than likely for graffiti ..moral of the story?....one less destructive idiot on the planet
    Holyground and PotBelly Jim like this.

  13. #13
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,787
    6416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyground View Post
    Has anyone here ever been out to the old Cottonwood Ranch? I got some history there. There's a dirt road that goes from Cottonwood Camp, east out through the hills, to the old ranch site. The Forrest Service has been trying to erase the begining of the road by running a blade past it and turning it into a cliff. When we go, we take shovels and open her up again so we can get our Rzrs through. The road out there is the only piece of ground that isn't Wilderness Area, as well as the ranch. There are two trail heads out there. I like the one that heads southeast to Long Canyon and Alder Creek. The old hunting cabin ruins are inbetween these two also. If you want to test how solid your Gonads are, hike in there in August, to Hell's Hip Pocket and stay a night. Hell's Hip Pocket looks just like Death Valley, only worse. You won't even find any Rattle Snakes there! If you want the most Supreme Backpack, head up Alder Creek Trail, which isn't a trail. It's a boulder strewn creek bottom that will, if there in the middle of summer, make you cry for your Mama! There is plenty of water and some really sweet swimming holes. I always took a little boat from Apache Lake Marina, dragged it into the bushes, then packed all over that place up there. If I was wanted by the FBI, that's where they wouldn't find me.
    i've been to the site many times years ago...last time was about 10 years ago and the road was pretty rough then...there used to be some tin shacks that romo lived in when he was mining there..i looked on google earth and they look like they are still there....in the late 70's you could still drive pretty close to long cabin and adams camp...about 2 mph...lol...something i found in that area 38 years ago changed the way i thought about the Spanish never being this far north
    Holyground and PotBelly Jim like this.

  14. #14
    us
    Executive Director of Nothing

    May 2014
    Not in the can
    Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
    514
    750 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've been to the old mine site there. Someone told me he got mostly copper? Yes, there was a lot of Spanish activity in that area. That's why I have spent so much time in there. If you look at the old Hunter's place, in between Lomg and Alder Canyon, you will find a round corral. I believe the Spanish built it first in 1600s, and those cowboys rebuilt it and used it. The Spanish had a base camp there from where they prospected all of the surrounding mountains. May have had something to do with the Superstions also. I have located a very old trail heading south out of there, crossing the river and around the cliffs. Only by boat for this one. I have explored all of those mountains below Four Peaks. There are some seriously amazing secrets up in there, no doubt. I will share someday. I have been down many dirt roads but I can honestly say that the dirt road to Cottonwood Ranch is the worst of them all. There is one spot where a sheet of rock, on a 45 degree angle is the road bed. I once ended up on two wheels and looking over the end of the world for about 6 seconds till God decided to give me more time. I know that road intimatly!
    Last edited by Holyground; Oct 02, 2018 at 04:15 PM.
    weekender and PotBelly Jim like this.

  15. #15
    ink
    ink is offline

    Mar 2018
    158
    49 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Wow I have hunted that area for years. There is a tremendous amount of Indian ruins & petroglyphs sampled hundreds of surface veins if you travel south X south west you will encounter a privatley owned chrysocolla /onyx mine which is only supplied by pack train.
    Holyground likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan 29, 2017, 01:09 AM
  2. Family Heirloom lost in shallow water/beach on North Topsail North Carolina
    By ncbeachfreak in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov 16, 2016, 04:19 PM
  3. Water level North Yuba River
    By 49erjohn in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 18, 2014, 03:24 PM
  4. Legalities of hunting water ways (fresh water)... any creek/river hunters here?
    By TreasurePirate69 in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Feb 02, 2013, 08:27 PM
  5. Water Detector - Whats the best for salt water
    By piggman1 in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul 23, 2007, 04:36 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0