Tom Kollenborn

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Wayne called me and told me. Sad thing, but he died at home surrounded by loved ones.

At least he finally found out the truth of the Lost Dutchman!

Mike

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Tom passed Thursday morning. He is a true legend in the Superstitions. We we're very close and I have a hard time dealing with his passing. Prayers for him and his family.

Attachments

• 1538166536675.jpg
    1538166536675.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 197

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sad news. My prayers and thoughts are with his family.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was a good man, and I always found him easy to talk to, even when there were differences in our opinions.
I'm sorry to hear that he's gone.

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really sad news...I talked to him at the last get together.....my condolences to his family

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He played a big part in the Lost Dutchman Legend, helped my of us fill in the blanks. My condolences as well, to his family and friends.

Homar

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read everything Tom ever wrote. It got to feel like I knew him even though I never met him. Rest In Peace Cowboy.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I just learned tonight, very sad news and a great loss to our community and for Arizona. I was lucky enough to have met Tom and became friends, we are going to miss him very much.
Roy

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heart has been broken - He was a man that will be sorely missed - his friendship was always special, as well as Sharon's. I will always treasure the time we spent together at the Rendezvous, and all the great conversations we had, and his vast knowledge and great photos of time and people past. Prayers for all of his family - and his friends - he had many. Godspeed, my friend. 50th anniversary waltz, Tom & Sharon Kollenborn.jpg Tom, Bob S., Bob C..jpg Tom K and Roy being foolish.jpg

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I just learned tonight, very sad news and a great loss to our community and for Arizona. I was lucky enough to have met Tom and became friends, we are going to miss him very much.
Roy

Hi Beth,

Hope you Roy and the pup's are all doing well.

We were also heartbroken to hear the news of Tom's passing. He will live on in the memories we have of our times together and the many picture we have him, Sharon and Bucky. The first two pictures are from their 50th. wedding anniversary. I took both of those pictures.

Take care,

Joe

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bunch of the pictures you took - I remember Tom saying he would love it if I could post some of them - which I did along with, I believe, some others that were taken by you. I cherish and keep all the photos that have come my way along with those I have taken, and, Thank you, Joe.

Hope you and Carolyn are doing well.

Beth

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God's speed Tom - you were a remarkable man. I am honored to have known you and spoken with you.

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen: I too am very much sadden by the passing of Tom Kollenborn. Dan Hopper and I were fortunate enough to have visited Tom in the hospital the day Sharon took him home. He passed the next day. I have know Tom since 1976 when we first started to correspond together and met him the next year at Lost Dutchman Days with my father and I drove to Apache Junction for the event. We have been friends ever since. I cannot count the number of horse trips he and I went on through the Superstition Mountains and also the many jeep trips. There were the camping trips where we would spend several days to a week in the mountains come sunny skies or those rainy days. We even did night horse back rides through the mountains to photograph thunder storms and lighting against Weavers Needle. Tom was instrumental in starting the Superstition Mountain Historical Society and museum. I have countless stories about our adventures but space does not allow there telling. Tom was my go-to man when I need an answer about an old timer or Dutch Hunter I have never heard of or needed addition information about their history. He was just a walking encyclopedia of history about the Superstition Mountain Region and surrounding areas. He will very much be missed. My most sincere condolences to his wife Sharon and the whole of Tom's family. Sincerely, Gregory E. Davis

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awfully sorry to hear of Tom's passing. His life history and larger than life persona are what I always envisioned a cowboy to be. Condolences to his family - he'll he missed by many.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions