What clue do you think will take you to the Dutchman?

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Any chance you can tell us where these samples came from? Did you get these pictures from the Internet, or maybe an anonymous searcher sent you the pics? Are you one of the guys on the TV show?

QE1,
I see you are a new member. Welcome to the forum.
Only been here a few months myself, but when posting a reply, if you click on "reply", and not "reply with quote", it can be difficult to figure out sometimes who, or which poster you are directing your post to.
Anyway, welcome to treasurenet.
Idahodutch

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Attachments

• BA808B3C-0412-493D-95CE-34948E0C9FC5.jpeg
    BA808B3C-0412-493D-95CE-34948E0C9FC5.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the dutchman.. the clue I like the most is ridge and the cave across from the mine. The house clue baffles me that the Mexicans were making was nearby also. Personally my search is Jesuit and the some maps. Particularly the h/p. Everone knows the end point for the post stones. Love the one clue everyone misses on the post stones. It's the reason the heart can't be figured out. It's a ah ha moment. Can't figure out why Doc Thorns vien hasn't been found seeing it is said to go from one side of the valley and showed itself on the other side. You would think that story would be the easiest to find..

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc,
Things that make you think. . .yeah got that right. Some of the expressions or sayings that we still have around today. . . it can be amusing to think about how some of them came to be.
Almost 2 years ago, my wife and I moved to a small town in Idaho. We put up a chicken coop and added chickens. this has been our first experience doing something like that. Anyway, I think that chickens are a big source for many. Perhaps even the saying "High tailing" as well. 100 - 150 years ago, lots of folk had chickens. Fun to watch and good eggs. better than TV IMHO :headbang:

So if you had to pick a favorite today, a year after starting this thread, what would it be for you?
Idaho

I think the clues I leaned on most were topographical . . easiest to eliminate big swaths of areas and hone in on what's left.
Once I felt I had the spot, I started looking at the other clues so see what lined up and what didn't.

Also. Like shotgun veiw map. I truely believe that pic has to show for the Dutchman to be found for real. Seeing it's one of the maps that were handed down from one of the original hunters. Atleast my belief anyways.

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now back to the thread's title .
I took a fragment from anather forum ( https://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=454 ) which describes some clues from Estee Conatser's book .
After I have done my research on the LDM and I formed an accurate image IMO , I made the corrections of the wrong clues on the text ( with red ) and I wrote beside , the correct clues ( with blue ) . These clues are for the mine with the tunnel below . I wish you good luck !

" CLUES FROM - THE STERLING LEGEND By: Estee (Shirley) Conatser 1972

Chapter 6 Page 30

The Mine, which Waltzer DESCRIBED as being a cone shaped pit, is supposedly situated in a ravine high on the side of a mountain with the mouth of the mine facing west.It is naturally hidden by the contours of the mountain making it impossible to see from below. Directly across the ravine and facing the east ( At the head/end of the ravine and facing north ) is a rock formation shaped like a face that looks down on the mine ( opposite the mine ) . It is a short climb up to the top of the mountain from which the tip of a tall sharp peak can be seen to the south.Also across the ravine from the mine there is a cave.

Chapter 6 Page 31

You must go to the head of a deep, narrow, north-south ( not at all , but only at the head portion which starts from the south ) trending canyon. The right canyon can be determined by the ruins of a stone house at its head ( mouth )... He further identifies it by stating that the old Military Trail runs along the bottom ( mouth ) of the canyon and can be seen from the mine... From this point you proceed down canyon until you find a cave near the base of a high bluff. The cave faces north and at the entrance are the remains of a stone house, minus the roof, in which Walzer and his partner lived while working the mine. With this cave located, you continue down the canyon, ( totally wrong because this clue is for if someone come down from the head of the canyon ) for a distance described as several ( few ) miles, carefully observing the east ( left , because the canyon changes directions ) side of the canyon. At an undetermined distance , you will see a rock formation in the shape of a face high on a ridge. This is the key. Directly across ( At the base and at the east end ) from ( of ) this stone face is the entrance to the mine. "

I know where the mine with the head above mine is. Got a pic of the head . But the doodle that Herman had cant be seen from there. It's a hard one to get to for sure. I actually can't see how they got up there. If it's the dutchman. Then makes sense about the one below.

EDN

Apr 17, 2016
Gilbert, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's any "one" clue that will lead you to the LD. Like other's, I think I may know where the mine is located. However, I have not been able to search the area enough to find it or convince my self it's not there. If the mine is not in this area, I have no idea where it is. A bunch of the clues have lead me to believe in the area I'm searching. If this is the spot, I think I know where these places are; First Water, Second Water, a portion of the Old Trail to San Carlos, the spot the trail turns south, the rock that looks like a man, the spot he left the military trail, the long ridge, the spot on the ridge the Waltz doodle was drawn (high on a ridge), the saddle with a significant landmark but (minis the round ruin of rocks), the ridge after going through the saddle that overlooks the mine, the location of one of the stone cabins, (I believe the second cabin closest of the two when your overlooking the mine), and the potholes where water was found. I think the mine is about 3/4 the way up on the side of a small ravine. All of these are in order to where I think the mine is located. I just had knee surgery and working on my heath so I can get to this area in the fall 2020 and spring 2021. If this isn't the area, oh well, I have enjoyed exploring the desert and reading about this mine. If I don't find it, I sure hope someone does. It would be great to see how the puzzle fits together.

EDN

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread