Why Did Crazy Jake Blow Up New Squaw Canyon?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the boobytrap confusion arises from a saying that's attributed to Jacob Waltz that's unverified- he is alleged to have said "You can't approach the mine from either above or below but must enter from the side" and that the mine was a "deathtrap with only one entrance and exit and that one could approach unseen." (Peck notes).

What he meant was that when he worked this mine, it became a deathtrap because anyone could approach it, unseen, and easily trap or ambush him.

It seems that some people interpreted that to mean that he booby-trapped the mine.

I believe Waltz made that statement for the inclined shaft mine . This was the reason he abandoned working the inclined shaft , and worked only the outcrop ( placer ) . To approach the " placer " mine is not a walking in the park endeavor . Someone have to know where the proper path ( a tricky narrow one and almost invisible ) begins .
Imagine Deer's father could never find it , even if he was aware about the tunnel .

Last edited:

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Waltz made that statement for the inclined shaft mine . This was the reason he abandoned working the inclined shaft , and worked only the outcrop ( placer ) . To approach the " placer " mine is not a walking in the park endeavor . Someone have to know where the proper path ( a tricky narrow one and almost invisible ) begins .
Imagine Deer's father could never find it , even if he was aware about the tunnel .

I Believe what Deducer has come to a conclusion. I believe it is spot on.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Believe what Deducer has come to a conclusion. I believe it is spot on.

That's Ok ! Every opinion is welcome . Also , Herman Petrasch , had a different opinion than you .

Herman's article.jpg

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
herman told what he knew only to a few people...everyone else just got a spew of doo-doo

That's right , from what Herman told in the article . But someone can understand the doo-doo if knows the region's details . The Quartz ( inclined shaft ) mine became dangerous to defense , after Wisner's death . Before , one of them was keeping a look out and the second was digging out the good stuff .
On the other hand , the Placer ( outcrop ) mine is hidden from sight and someone have to go through a narrow passage to approach it from the side . Also , this didn't make Waltz to feel safe , because the Apache knew the spot and the way to go there . So , after Wisner's death , both mines were in some way a " death trap " . Not because they had only a single entrance/exit , but because there don't exists a different way to run out in an opposite direction if an attack would occured . Like the mines had only one way to enter/exit , the same has and the region ( through the hole/ passage in the mountain ) in which those mines were/are situated . Maybe that was the reason Waltz took as much gold could carry , covered the Placer mine and left the region .

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inclined shafts are a typical Spanish De Re Metallica mining method. The first mine I laid claim on had an inclined backfilled shaft. I had only seen this method in action thanks to the diorama that used to be displayed at the Tumacacori Mission in the town named the same which I took pictures of. The Forest Service has since taken down the Spanish Mining Diorama as they now claim no mines of the Jesuits ever existed. Since Waltz claimed he stole the mine from Mexicans I'm sure it utilized the same method. Inclined shafts are very hard to see even if you're right on top of them. They are also very easy to back fill and hide. This I just found that out a few weeks ago while attempting to find the one I had my claim on for five years. I couldn't find it.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old blasting caps will take your hind leg off.

Maybe if I were a Horse. Humans have no hind legs.

We didn't know they were blasting caps just like we didn't know the old clifff dwelling was a home for Dynamite & Mountain Lions. Up above the dwelling was the mine tunnel. It was collapsed and filled in. It looked to be an old gold mine. But it was in an area no one had visited or even knew about for 60-70 years. We stumbled upon it by accident while exploring the area looking for gold.

OP
OP
OldManOfTheRiver

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the boobytrap confusion arises from a saying that's attributed to Jacob Waltz that's unverified- he is alleged to have said "You can't approach the mine from either above or below but must enter from the side" and that the mine was a "deathtrap with only one entrance and exit and that one could approach unseen." (Peck notes).

What he meant was that when he worked this mine, it became a deathtrap because anyone could approach it, unseen, and easily trap or ambush him.

It seems that some people interpreted that to mean that he booby-trapped the mine.

Judging from my limited experience, I think he meant it was loaded with mercury and/or arsenic! You may be correct as well though and likely all the above.

Personally for those I have pm'd that thing was loaded with either poison or Apache Ebola and either way it doesn't feel good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldManOfTheRiver

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I mean think about it. Why would Walz kill his nephew unless his nephew was crazed on Hg. Why would he himself suffer the obvious effects of Hg poisoning?

Deathtrap: High Hg content amalgam ore.

OP
OP
OldManOfTheRiver

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe that's why everyone was crazy up there. Damn. Now I am gonna be crazy too. :( Need to chelate! Does beer chelate? :occasion14:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe Waltz wanted to infect Julia or anyone he sent there with Hg . I don't believe also Waltz have ever used Hg for his ore .
But , how somewhere close to his mine could exist Hg vapors , could be true .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread