The Lost Dutchman and Peralta's tales are fiction, the my

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
alan m: I'm not sure that the answers to your three questions - if the answers are even available - have any significance, other than the apparent fact that Waltz spent at least some time in Adamsville AZ. The first thing I would check is whether any complete biography is available for Charles S. Adams. I suspect that would be a complete dead end, but the importance here is not the flour miller, but the name "Adams" and the recognition it carries for the Organization loosely referred to as the KGC. Named things, people, places - those are the identifiers in treasure tales, especially those allegedly associated with the KGC.

As an aside, Jacob Waltz spent a couple years (late 1840s) in Natchez MS, in that the incubator for the founding of the KGC under Gen. Quitman. Natchez is the county seat of Adams County MS. [name recognition] Was Waltz indoctrinated there? Maybe, because he and other budding operatives (including, of all people, members of Jesse James' family) relocated to Paso Robles County CA, during the CA gold rush. Paso Robles became quite a western center of Southern political support prior to and during the Civil War.

As another aside: does anyone know the exact coordinates for the Tempe Mystery Glyphs shown below? If so, I'd like to know, because with that information I can provide you with an interesting map of the western Superstition Range that you can play around with concerning the LDM/PSM lore.

View attachment 1654106

Oro: yes, the confusion, cross-pollination, disinformation, et al regarding these treasure tales is maddening. What else can you do except try to gather the earliest information available and try to reconcile it with later stuff? The problem then becomes in choosing which information is the most reliable.

rennes: to echo mdog, what is meant by your LUE comment?

Adams County, Mississippi is just north of Wilkinson County which was named after General James Wilkinson. Wilkinson built Fort Adams and was involved in a conspiracy to create a country on the west side of the Mississippi River. He was also a spy for the Spanish, as you already know. You have pointed out, many times, the Adams name as it relates to treasure legends and I think you might be onto something there. Even into modern times.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thank you, Roy!:icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft: I believe you just cracked the code on something I've been searching for, for a long, long time...I believe the 1865 date refers to their store, which is the earliest date (1865) I have ever seen (it says Sanford, but it was really at Adamsville as they went back and forth because of political shenanigans trying to rename the town)...the "Pioneer Flouring Mills" is what they called the steam mill they purchased/moved from Casa Blanca in 1868/9....Thank you again, Roy, this will help me in nailing down exactly when the Bichards opened their first store, I had nothing from 1865 yet!!!!!!!!!!! Best regards, Jim
According to my research, it was named Sanford after a post office was located there, it was Adamsville before that, so if the information says Sanford, it must have been after the town was founded, by at least a year.

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
According to my research, it was named Sanford after a post office was located there, it was Adamsville before that, so if the information says Sanford, itmust have been after the town was founded, by at least a year.

You are correct, Alan. The advertisement Roy found was from 1873, thus the Sanford reference...the advert itself says the Bichard store was "established in 1865". I don't know for sure at this point, but I believe the first store they had was at Casa Blanca...in 1867 (I think) they bought out C. S. Adams' remaining property at Adamsville and located a store and saloon there...then after the 1868 flood, they moved the steam mill to Adamsville as well...I know in 1870 that Wm Bichard was running the Casa Blanca store, and Stephen Bichard was running the Adamsville store...they also had depots in Phoenix and Prescott for sure...Adams ran the Prescott store for most of 1871...I believe there might have been others...

It appears to me at this point that the Bichards moved into the Gila territory with the specific intent of creating a mercantile "empire" in AZ. They bought into Ammi White's mill, and soon thereafter bought out Adams. White and Adams both worked in partnership with the Bichards, but White left after they bought his shares...Adams stayed on and continued working with/for the Bichards even after they bought him out, so he was technically an employee or agent of Bichard & Co...after Wm died, the Bichards lost interest in AZ and over time, just quit coming back to AZ...the properties were later sold off for a fraction of what they were worth, but I guess the Bichards just didn't care anymore.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Not to be argumentative, but since Charles Adams supposedly settled in what became Adamsville in 1864, it is not outside of the realm of possibility that Bichard set up a shop there the following year.

You probably already have this but it is a pretty good article on the history of grain mills in Arizona:

Redirect Notice

Donkey powered mills were apparently fairly common by the mid 1800s, so there could easily have been one set up and working there. One source claimed they could produce a half bushel of flour a day, so being forced to wait a day would not be a big surprise.

Charles Adams was running a saloon in Adamsville as the proprietor in 1870, at least he was advertising as such:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84024829/1870-01-22/ed-1/seq-2/

<The Weekly Arizonian, Jan. 22 1870 PG 2, Tucson>

Rowletts mill was open for business at least as early as 1859, as evidenced by their advertisement from that date:

image_681x648_from_660,2981_to_2199,4447.jpg
<The Weekly Arizonian, Nov 17th 1859 pg 3>

On whether there was a man named Weiser, or Wisner or Weisner or Weisse or Wesser, there are multiple candidates. A Jacob WESSER is listed in the 1867 territorial census as living in La Paz, for one example.

Please do continue, didn't want to derail the topic.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I address the Waltz/Weiser story, I will address this treads topic so that I don't derail all this nonsense.

Bob Brewer (whom I respect for his service), Warren Getler, and their team of professionals, failed to prove anything by confusing the PSM's symbols to those of the KGC. Bob claimed that the LDM did not exsist, when in fact there is plenty of evidence of it. Many knew that Jacob Waltz had a gold mine before he lay on his deathbed confessing it's location to Holmes, and Roberts. He left gold ore, not treasure, under his bed. Gold ore only comes out of a mine, and the ore he left can't be traced to any known mine. That is real evidence, there is no hope for those KGC diehards who fail to recognize it.

"It's my damn story, and if they don't believe it, I'm not gonna worry about it, damn it. Pardon my French."-----Bob Brewer

Bob claimed that the PSM's symbols lead to KGC treasure, how can this be if they were created, and buried (1847) before the KGC was even formed (1854)? Furthermore, the PSM's do not lead to treasure, they lead to a mine, and only one mine.

The Waltz/Weiser story is just that, a story told by Jacob Waltz himself when he had a secret mine's location to protect. While he was alive he told many stories mostly to Julia Thomas. He was not about to tell her that he had murdered to get, and keep his mine, the truth only came out in his death bed confession. At one point he did try to reveal the mine's location to Mrs. Thomas, and Petrash, but found out that it was impossible to show those who had never been in those mountains. After Waltz died, and Julia failed to find the mine, she related to Herman Petrash, and others a mixture of truth, and lies that were told to her by Waltz.

Homar

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to be argumentative, but since Charles Adams supposedly settled in what became Adamsville in 1864, it is not outside of the realm of possibility that Bichard set up a shop there the following year.

Charles Adams settling Adamsville "supposedly" in 1864 is right. I too, have seen such claims. But, the earliest official document I've found is from 1866. Not that I'm asking anyone to do my research for me, but would you back up Charles Adams settling Adamsville in 1864 with a source document? (EDIT: Please ignore this, I misunderstood your post. I see what you were saying now that I re-read it.) Not an “Old Timer” recollection, or a Hayden recollection, but an official document like a homestead claim or tax record?? And while I don’t doubt that the Bichard’s setting up shop in 1865 (or earlier) is outside the realm of possibility, I’m looking for verifiable records. I have not seen one. I do thank you for the newspaper advert, which I didn’t have. (EDIT: Again, pls ignore as I misunderstood your post...I happen to agree with those that think Adamsville may have been settled by Adams before Florence, but I'm leaning towards 1865. Just don't have any proof, maybe never will :wink: ).

You probably already have this but it is a pretty good article on the history of grain mills in Arizona:

Redirect Notice

I did, an excellent source, but I had mislaid it...thank you.
Donkey powered mills were apparently fairly common by the mid 1800s, so there could easily have been one set up and working there. One source claimed they could produce a half bushel of flour a day, so being forced to wait a day would not be a big surprise.
I agree, and I suspect that was the case. But I have no PROOF. As it stands now, I can only say it looks like FROM THE VERIFIABLE RECORDS I HAVE that Adams could not have supplied Waltz with flour…even though I know he probably did…so I personally leave it in the “unverified” category. Just like I know Waltz was in Phoenix prior to 1870, I can’t prove it…I have no documents to back me up in that claim. But I KNOW he was there. Nonetheless, the first verifiable record stands at Waltz being in Phoenix in 1870. I have no idea when he actually got there.
Charles Adams was running a saloon in Adamsville as the proprietor in 1870, at least he was advertising as such:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84024829/1870-01-22/ed-1/seq-2/

<The Weekly Arizonian, Jan. 22 1870 PG 2, Tucson>
I agree. What I’m looking for is Adams interacting with Waltz in Adamsville from 1866-1868. Do you have a reference for Adams running a saloon or mill in Adamsville prior to 1870, or more specifically during the years 1866-1868? I do appreciate the 1870 references, but in my opinion, that is too late. I’m sure Adams was there and probably provided Waltz with flour from a PRE-BICHARD MILL, but I’m looking for actual proof of that.
EDIT: To be clear, what I'm saying is I believe there is evidence to indicate Adams sold out and left Adamsville in 1868, then returned in 1870, bringing his family from SF, and re-opened his saloon...which he seems to have closed back down, or he sold/rented it, later that year. He sent his family back to SF and moved to Prescott.
On whether there was a man named Weiser, or Wisner or Weisner or Weisse or Wesser, there are multiple candidates. A Jacob WESSER is listed in the 1867 territorial census as living in La Paz, for one example.

Please do continue, didn't want to derail the topic.

C:\Users\Goob\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
C:\Users\Goob\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif
C:\Users\Goob\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
I’ve also found a few people with variations of the Wisner/Weiser name as well. Could be him. I don’t know.

The facts are that Jacob Waltz disappears in the official records between 1865 (his last mining claim) and 1870 (tax assessment in PHX). Ely says he split to San Fran via Pima Villages, to Tucson, to Sonora, to San Fran (to work on the docks). He further states Waltz did not come back until he homesteaded in PHX. This appears to jive with the records as we know them, although we have no record of him in San Fran. But it’s possible he went there after Weiser was killed.

Waltz, to my knowledge, never lived in San Fran. Why would he go there? One possible explanation is that Nicholas Bichard was a shipmaster in SF and could provide work on the docks in San Fran. Waltz seems to have frequented the Pima Villages, where there were two Bichard Bros. running stores in Casa Blanca, and Adamsville. William and Stephen Bichard.

This is all speculation, but I’m trying to go down that road and FIND ACTUAL VERIFIABLE SOURCES…it may have already been done, as everything else has…at the same time, I’m trying to be very conservative with my dates (only verified official documents). Like I’m going to find official documents in every case!! I know I can’t…but it is, what it is. I will try, and if I can't find the truth like most other LDM topics I've drilled down on, I will do the best that I can, then move on. Something will probably turn up at some point, but not always when we want it to.

Last edited:

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I address the Waltz/Weiser story, I will address this treads topic so that I don't derail all this nonsense.

Bob Brewer (whom I respect for his service), Warren Getter, and their team of professionals, failed to prove anything by confusing the PSM's symbols to those of the KGC. Bob claimed that the LDM did not exsist, when in fact there is plenty of evidence of it. Many knew that Jacob Waltz had a gold mine before he lay on his deathbed confessing it's location to Holmes, and Roberts. He left gold ore, not treasure, under his bed. Gold ore only comes out of a mine, and the ore he left can't be traced to any known mine. That is real evidence, there is no hope for those KGC diehards who fail to recognize it.

"It's my damn story, and if they don't believe it, I'm not gonna worry about it, damn it. Pardon my French."-----Bob Brewer

Bob claimed that the PSM's symbols lead to KGC treasure, how can this be if they were created, and buried (1847) before the KGC was even formed (1854)? Furthermore, the PSM's do not lead to treasure, they lead to a mine, and only one mine.

The Waltz/Weiser story is just that, a story told by Jacob Waltz himself when he had a secret mine's location to protect. While he was alive he told many stories mostly to Julia Thomas. He was not about to tell her that he had murdered to get, and keep his mine, the truth only came out in his death bed confession. At one point he did try to reveal the mine's location to Mrs. Thomas, and Petrash, but found out that it was impossible to show those who had never been in those mountains. After Waltz died, and Julia failed to find the mine, she related to Herman Petrash, and others a mixture of truth, and lies that were told to her by Waltz.

Homar

I will agree with what you say about the PSM's leading to a mine to a point...They actually lead to a real de minas Homar...There is more than one mine to be had IF one may solve the riddle of the stones...I had counted 13 mines on one of my ventures to the location...Of course I could be wrong...I was not at the location for very long due to some narcos...Oh well...Maybe one day I may try to return to the area...I wonder IF there may have been 18 mines in said real???

And then again...How much of the above is BS???lol...We may never know...hehehe

Ed T

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Bob Brewer (whom I respect for his service), Warren Getter, and their team of professionals, failed to prove anything by confusing the PSM's symbols to those of the KGC. Bob claimed that the LDM did not exsist, when in fact there is plenty of evidence of it. Many knew that Jacob Waltz had a gold mine before he lay on his deathbed confessing it's location to Holmes, and Roberts. He left gold ore, not treasure, under his bed. Gold ore only comes out of a mine, and the ore he left can't be traced to any known mine. That is real evidence, there is no hope for those KGC diehards who fail to recognize it.

Homar

It should be clear to all except the true believers that the PSMs are essentially fraudulent props used for the as yet unclear intentions of the criminally-tainted character named Travis Tumlinson. We may never know his true story - whether or not the whole thing was an intentional scam, whether or not he was hopelessly delusional, whether or not he believed in what he was doing, or whatever. That said, it's always been my contention that the real story here (if there is a real story) would be Pegleg Tumlinson, the alleged source of the material Travis used for his carved stones. A detailed investigation into Pegleg's history, his activities, associations, et al would be where I'd start if I had an abiding interest in the stone maps that continue to confuse so many hopefuls. I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if Brewer knew everything there was to know about Pegleg. Getler? A self-serving hack.

Regarding Waltz, what do we really know for certain about him? We have a reasonably reliable timeline of his life from the time he got off the boat until he died, as documented in various public records. We have testimony from a number of his contemporaries about his public persona in Phoenix for quite a few years. We know that he claimed to some folks he had a secret gold mine that would never be found. It's likely he died with a box of high-grade gold ore in his possession. Was Waltz a sane and rational man during his Phoenix years or a delusional old miner? His gold ore could have come from a hundred sources in the late 1800s. He may have accumulated it during his earlier mining ventures. He may have stolen it. Nobody knows where it came from. In my judgment, all Waltz material surfacing after his death is suspicious - human nature assures it will very likely be disinformation. One can cherry-pick whatever he wishes to build a LDM belief system on.

I think it's likely there is a cache(s) of great value somewhere in the Gila-Salt region but, although possibly related to the LDM/PSM in some way, is something completely different than people suspect. Of course, I could be wrong, and when somebody undisputedly solves the LDM or PSM puzzles, I'll obviously change my opinion.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Charles Adams settling Adamsville "supposedly" in 1864 is right. I too, have seen such claims. But, the earliest official document I've found is from 1866. Not that I'm asking anyone to do my research for me, but would you back up Charles Adams settling Adamsville in 1864 with a source document? (EDIT: Please ignore this, I misunderstood your post. I see what you were saying now that I re-read it.) Not an “Old Timer” recollection, or a Hayden recollection, but an official document like a homestead claim or tax record?? And while I don’t doubt that the Bichard’s setting up shop in 1865 (or earlier) is outside the realm of possibility, I’m looking for verifiable records. I have not seen one. I do thank you for the newspaper advert, which I didn’t have. (EDIT: Again, pls ignore as I misunderstood your post...I happen to agree with those that think Adamsville may have been settled by Adams before Florence, but I'm leaning towards 1865. Just don't have any proof, maybe never will :wink: ).
No I sure don't, never had looked for such a document. As you know we are hardly the first researchers to ever hunt for such documentation, and considering the time period it is largely a matter of luck to find any at all. For instance, unless Adams registered to vote or was caught in one of the territorial censuses, and likewise for Bichard, it is unlikely to find any records. I will keep looking, as time allows, unfortunately other tasks fill a lot of my time so my internet time is limited, and I don't live in Arizona so can't exactly run to the county courthouse. Even when I do get to AZ, the time is very limited so it is spent on the most important tasks. However others here do live in the area and probably could visit the various local sites with the kind of records you seek.

Potbelly Jim also wrote
I did, an excellent source, but I had mislaid it...thank you.

I agree, and I suspect that was the case. But I have no PROOF. As it stands now, I can only say it looks like FROM THE VERIFIABLE RECORDS I HAVE that Adams could not have supplied Waltz with flour…even though I know he probably did…so I personally leave it in the “unverified” category. Just like I know Waltz was in Phoenix prior to 1870, I can’t prove it…I have no documents to back me up in that claim. But I KNOW he was there. Nonetheless, the first verifiable record stands at Waltz being in Phoenix in 1870. I have no idea when he actually got there.

Well a number of authors have claimed to have seen the homestead application by Waltz in Phoenix dating to 1868, I never thought to question it as I had no reason to. Perhaps a visit to Phoenix might be very productive for your purposes?

Potbelly Jim also wrote
I agree. What I’m looking for is Adams interacting with Waltz in Adamsville from 1866-1868. Do you have a reference for Adams running a saloon or mill in Adamsville prior to 1870, or more specifically during the years 1866-1868? I do appreciate the 1870 references, but in my opinion, that is too late. I’m sure Adams was there and probably provided Waltz with flour from a PRE-BICHARD MILL, but I’m looking for actual proof of that.
EDIT: To be clear, what I'm saying is I believe there is evidence to indicate Adams sold out and left Adamsville in 1868, then returned in 1870, bringing his family from SF, and re-opened his saloon...which he seems to have closed back down, or he sold/rented it, later that year. He sent his family back to SF and moved to Prescott.

Hmm, I don't have documentation to help you there. I did a quick look on the sites I know of and only found anything from 1870. However it is rather intriguing, as it is a census page and might change how you view things concerning Adams and Bichard. There is another angle to this that we ought to consider as well.

To continue:
Potbelly Jim also wrote
I’ve also found a few people with variations of the Wisner/Weiser name as well. Could be him. I don’t know.

The facts are that Jacob Waltz disappears in the official records between 1865 (his last mining claim) and 1870 (tax assessment in PHX). Ely says he split to San Fran via Pima Villages, to Tucson, to Sonora, to San Fran (to work on the docks). He further states Waltz did not come back until he homesteaded in PHX. This appears to jive with the records as we know them, although we have no record of him in San Fran. But it’s possible he went there after Weiser was killed.

Waltz, to my knowledge, never lived in San Fran. Why would he go there? One possible explanation is that Nicholas Bichard was a shipmaster in SF and could provide work on the docks in San Fran. Waltz seems to have frequented the Pima Villages, where there were two Bichard Bros. running stores in Casa Blanca, and Adamsville. William and Stephen Bichard.

This is all speculation, but I’m trying to go down that road and FIND ACTUAL VERIFIABLE SOURCES…it may have already been done, as everything else has…at the same time, I’m trying to be very conservative with my dates (only verified official documents). Like I’m going to find official documents in every case!! I know I can’t…but it is, what it is. I will try, and if I can't find the truth like most other LDM topics I've drilled down on, I will do the best that I can, then move on. Something will probably turn up at some point, but not always when we want it to.

The 1867 territorial census has Jacob WALS (probably a misspelling) listed as a farmer living in Phoenix, which page for some reason would not allow me to copy and post. However if you go to Ancestry dot com and do a search on the 1867 AZ territorial census you will find it. Waltz also shows up on a number of other censuses, including 1864, 1870, 1874, 1880, 1882, and 1890. Oddly, the 1870 census only places his residence as "Salt River". ????

Now as to that other possible angle, a way in which Waltz could have gone to Adams to buy flour, even if Adams had NO mill of any kind. Adams is said to have begun his settlement by planting GRAIN. Most farmers including my own grandfather would grow their own grain, but would have it milled into flour at a mill as did many farmers, often paying for the service by a portion of the flour. Adams could easily have sold Waltz some of his own flour, milled at someone else's mill.

Almost forgot, this is not to argue anything and often times we find things that are quite contradictory when researching, but here is that page from the 1870 census:

Adamsville.jpg
NOTE - Adams is listed as being from Ohio, aged 36 and born in 1834, with his wife and children. Bichard is listed as being a SALESMAN, not a store owner or keeper. In between these two listings is the name ?ollbridge? and listed his employment as a MILLER. The name is blurred so I can't make it out perfectly but clearly enough someone is the miller in Adamsville in 1870 and it is neither Adams nor Bichard, and Bichard may not have owned his store or other business(es) as of that date of that particular census. Interesting, no?

One last bit here but the 1864 territorial census also has Jacob Waltz listed in Judicial District 3 (which includes the Prescott/Bradshaws area) and includes a question that throws many LDM source books into error, the column asking "how long a resident in AZ" has Waltz as living in AZ for two years as of that date in 1864. Most sources have Waltz coming into AZ in 1863 possibly with the Peeples expedition. By Waltz's own statement for the census, he was in AZ a year before the Peeples expedition and thus could not have been a member of that party.

Please do continue, sorry to disappoint on some of the documentation. I wish you good luck in finding it however and hope you will share your findings.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
No I sure don't, never had looked for such a document. As you know we are hardly the first researchers to ever hunt for such documentation, and considering the time period it is largely a matter of luck to find any at all. For instance, unless Adams registered to vote or was caught in one of the territorial censuses, and likewise for Bichard, it is unlikely to find any records. I will keep looking, as time allows, unfortunately other tasks fill a lot of my time so my internet time is limited, and I don't live in Arizona so can't exactly run to the county courthouse. Even when I do get to AZ, the time is very limited so it is spent on the most important tasks. However others here do live in the area and probably could visit the various local sites with the kind of records you seek.

Potbelly Jim also wrote

Well a number of authors have claimed to have seen the homestead application by Waltz in Phoenix dating to 1868, I never thought to question it as I had no reason to. Perhaps a visit to Phoenix might be very productive for your purposes?

Potbelly Jim also wrote

Hmm, I don't have documentation to help you there. I did a quick look on the sites I know of and only found anything from 1870. However it is rather intriguing, as it is a census page and might change how you view things concerning Adams and Bichard. There is another angle to this that we ought to consider as well.

To continue:
Potbelly Jim also wrote

The 1867 territorial census has Jacob WALS (probably a misspelling) listed as a farmer living in Phoenix, which page for some reason would not allow me to copy and post. However if you go to Ancestry dot com and do a search on the 1867 AZ territorial census you will find it. Waltz also shows up on a number of other censuses, including 1864, 1870, 1874, 1880, 1882, and 1890. Oddly, the 1870 census only places his residence as "Salt River". ????

Now as to that other possible angle, a way in which Waltz could have gone to Adams to buy flour, even if Adams had NO mill of any kind. Adams is said to have begun his settlement by planting GRAIN. Most farmers including my own grandfather would grow their own grain, but would have it milled into flour at a mill as did many farmers, often paying for the service by a portion of the flour. Adams could easily have sold Waltz some of his own flour, milled at someone else's mill.

Almost forgot, this is not to argue anything and often times we find things that are quite contradictory when researching, but here is that page from the 1870 census:

View attachment 1655242
NOTE - Adams is listed as being from Ohio, aged 36 and born in 1834, with his wife and children. Bichard is listed as being a SALESMAN, not a store owner or keeper. In between these two listings is the name ?ollbridge? and listed his employment as a MILLER. The name is blurred so I can't make it out perfectly but clearly enough someone is the miller in Adamsville in 1870 and it is neither Adams nor Bichard, and Bichard may not have owned his store or other business(es) as of that date of that particular census. Interesting, no?

One last bit here but the 1864 territorial census also has Jacob Waltz listed in Judicial District 3 (which includes the Prescott/Bradshaws area) and includes a question that throws many LDM source books into error, the column asking "how long a resident in AZ" has Waltz as living in AZ for two years as of that date in 1864. Most sources have Waltz coming into AZ in 1863 possibly with the Peeples expedition. By Waltz's own statement for the census, he was in AZ a year before the Peeples expedition and thus could not have been a member of that party.

Please do continue, sorry to disappoint on some of the documentation. I wish you good luck in finding it however and hope you will share your findings.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

I got a good look at the name of the fellow running the mill, it is S.B. WALBRIDGE. Also note that Bichard lists his origin as Germany, and that Adams lists his real estate at worth $1000, a considerable sum for that day, along with $400 in personal estate, while Bichard lists his own estate as worth $200 and ZERO real estate.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I have wondered about that 1870 Adamsville census as well. I’d seen it written that the Bichards were from Germany somewhere (can’t remember where), perhaps this particular census might be why. The AZ 1870 census is the only time I’ve seen a reference to Germany for the Bichards on an official document. Perhaps he was not actually physically present during the census, as often occurred, or it could be just a mistake for “Guernsey”.

Take a look at this census from Casa Blanca in the same year. It lists William from Germany as well!
View attachment 1655267

Then look at the following info from CA:

View attachment 1655268

I’m at a loss to explain why the 1870 AZ census states the Bichards are from Germany. I’m also at a loss to explain why Stephen is listed as a “salesman” with very little property. The steam mill was there at Adamsville then, it would just seem to me that it would be worth more? Errors by cenus taker perhaps? To date, I’ve found no explanation for it.

Various newspaper articles:

View attachment 1655269

Hope all these attachments make it through...

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, Looks like the attachments are all there...wanted to hit "post" before it timed out and I had to log in again and have to re-do it all...

Waltz, or "Walls" on 1867 census: I used to argue Waltz was in Phoenix in 1867 based on that document and also that I believed he was in the Swilling party that arrived there that year (no proof but it just makes too much sense with what was going on with the ditches). I still believe it is him, but am unsure enough at this point to put it back into the "unverified" category...that being said, it would be a heck of a coincidence if it WASN'T him! I believe this mystery of when Waltz got to Phoenix might be addressed and decisively settled very soon:notworthy: so I'm waiting for that...

I want to re-iterate that I'm being very conservative with my dates of Waltz being "missing" 1866-1870, using only verifiable records...but a verification of that 1867 census would be a biggie...I do know Waltz was there prior to 1870 because on that year's tax rolls, he's already fairly well established with workers and buildings...so it LOOKS to me like he was there prior to 1870...but I can't prove it!

Back to the Adamsville thing: I have no proof, but I think Adams intended to PROVE UP his homestead claim at Adamsville in 1870...I think that's why he temporarily moved his family there (as shown by the census) and re-opened his saloon there. He sent his family back to SF that same year and he seems to have once again abandoned the saloon, moving to Prescott...anyway, IF this is the case, and I'm saying IF because it's obvious speculation...it would mean Adams initially got there and claimed that land in 1865(if he was trying to PROVE UP in 1870).

Unfortunately, there is no homestead record or land entry for Adams in AZ (that I've been able to find). They say the digitization of AZ homestead records is complete, but as of now I haven't found one for Adams. It might be there somewhere, but I haven't found it. One of many possible explanations is that he was never issued a patent, for whatever reason...same thing happened to George Riley Roberts, I recall, as it was issued after he died to the person who legally held the rights to the land...same thing could have happened here, as Adams died in NOV of 1871 and the patent (or patents) could have been issued afterwards in someone else's name.

........................<SNIP>....................

...........................................<SNIP>.........................

An EXCELLENT point!!! and one that had never occurred to me! I do know that there are records indicating Adamsville grain was being carried by wagon for milling at Casa Blanca prior to 1869...so I was working the angle of Adams maybe having a little donkey mill...but as you point out, he may have just needed to go pick up his flour the next morning at someone else's mill...very good point!!!:notworthy:

EDIT: Forgot to add...I remember you were guiding/helping me with trying to get to the bottom of Waltz's 1868 homestead claim, on the "other channel" last year...as far as I know, it still stands as it was then...people claimed to have seen it and it was listed in several books...but nobody to date has actually gotten a copy of it. Thomas is adamant that Waltz was simply unable to file a legal homestead claim on school land, and I have to agree from everything I've seen, he is right about that...Waltz would have had possessory rights, but that's about it. I suspect there will be more to come on this in the near future.

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
My only question is this: Was that bread flour Gluten free?

lol...excellent question...I suspect it was actually "gluten fortified"...and if it was ground in a donkey mill, it had extra protein and fiber from the flies and stray "donkey-exhaust"...which made everyone's Johnny-cakes taste like...sour saddle blankets!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm ya never know when its a tale

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Guys some very nice work on the history!

Roy,

You wrote: The 1867 territorial census has Jacob WALS (probably a misspelling) listed as a farmer living in Phoenix, which page for some reason would not allow me to copy and post. However if you go to Ancestry dot com and do a search on the 1867 AZ territorial census you will find it.

I tried to duplicate your search on Jacob WALS and I can't find him in the 1867 Territorial census. I always thought Phoenix wasn't named until Duppa in 1870? Any help in clearing up my confusion will be apprecated.

Thanks, Garry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions