Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: GARRY CUNDIFFS SITE BACK ONLINE

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    2467 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by azdave35 View Post
    anyone that tries to get a treasure trove permit in the supers is in for years of red tape and b.s. ..in other words it ain't gonna happen..but you will go broke trying
    I know of one group that has done it. It took a lawyer and a lot of OPM's (other peoples money) to do it. The problem lies in what to do with any finds. The Forest Service Manual states any finds are to be sent to the GSA for one year so any other claims to the find can be adjudicated. After one year you need to petition the GSA for a share of the find. Feldman's Permit wasn't for trove from what I remember, but, it was for Archaeological and stated that the GSA took possession for one year to allow for legal claims. The government has no favoritism when it comes to any finds they protect the general public from an unscrupulous discoverer taking it all for themselves. Sort of a "Social Justice" for Treasure Finders if you will. That prevents a lot of potential investors from getting in the mix. It usually falls on the individual to motivate the people investing like old Crazy Jake. But if you make a discovery first it makes for even larger problems. Enough to make the group walk away from it and never reveal the location. Finding Treasures has more problems associated with the logistics than searching for treasure.

We should all have such problems.

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riley View Post
    I know of one group that has done it. It took a lawyer and a lot of OPM's (other peoples money) to do it. The problem lies in what to do with any finds. The Forest Service Manual states any finds are to be sent to the GSA for one year so any other claims to the find can be adjudicated. After one year you need to petition the GSA for a share of the find. Feldman's Permit wasn't for trove from what I remember, but, it was for Archaeological and stated that the GSA took possession for one year to allow for legal claims. The government has no favoritism when it comes to any finds they protect the general public from an unscrupulous discoverer taking it all for themselves. Sort of a "Social Justice" for Treasure Finders if you will. That prevents a lot of potential investors from getting in the mix. It usually falls on the individual to motivate the people investing like old Crazy Jake. But if you make a discovery first it makes for even larger problems. Enough to make the group walk away from it and never reveal the location. Finding Treasures has more problems associated with the logistics than searching for treasure.

We should all have such problems.
    Bill,

Thanks to Tom Kollenborn, I doubt they had much of a problem getting money.

Good luck,

Joe
    Last edited by cactusjumper; Feb 07, 2019 at 05:51 PM.
    davin and Bill Riley like this.
    " Hell, I was there!" Elmer Keith
    "There is an ancient proverb that says a man can never forgive you for a wrong he has done you." From a wise friend.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    2467 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusjumper View Post
    Bill,

Thanks to Tom Kollenborn, I doubt they had much of a problem getting money.

Good luck,

Joe
    Yes Tom was a good spokesperson for the Dutch Hunters. So were many others. When it comes to the Stone Maps it was Travis that started that fire.

Lets just say for arguments sake that when a Geologist, an Archaeologist, a rich investor, a geophysical company using advanced satellite void & gold detection technology all get together and locate a cache, they have no need for any research material or other investors. It's a sure thing at that point anyone would invest. It's the sharing of the find that creates the problem is all I was saying. It has nothing to do with the Stone Maps or the Lost Dutchman. Maybe it has a lot to do with the Jesuits but that is questionable. Tom was a good old boy and he knew a lot that's for sure. When technology surpasses the need for research people like old Tom become obsolete. That's not to say that any future discovery has anything to do with any known history. It may all be a new type of history that no one knows about. Technology has made leaps in the past few years. The Treasure Quest adventure showed a little of it in Bolivia with the Sacambaya Treasure. We'll be seeing more in the near future of that I'm sure.
    davin and weekender like this.

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riley View Post
    Yes Tom was a good spokesperson for the Dutch Hunters. So were many others. When it comes to the Stone Maps it was Travis that started that fire.

Lets just say for arguments sake that when a Geologist, an Archaeologist, a rich investor, a geophysical company using advanced satellite void & gold detection technology all get together and locate a cache, they have no need for any research material or other investors. It's a sure thing at that point anyone would invest. It's the sharing of the find that creates the problem is all I was saying. It has nothing to do with the Stone Maps or the Lost Dutchman. Maybe it has a lot to do with the Jesuits but that is questionable. Tom was a good old boy and he knew a lot that's for sure. When technology surpasses the need for research people like old Tom become obsolete. That's not to say that any future discovery has anything to do with any known history. It may all be a new type of history that no one knows about. Technology has made leaps in the past few years. The Treasure Quest adventure showed a little of it in Bolivia with the Sacambaya Treasure. We'll be seeing more in the near future of that I'm sure.
    Bill,

You are mistaken here. Tom Kollenborn never became "obsolete". Tom lived the history that other people wrote, read and talked about. His memories were a treasure house for many, like me, who used Tom as a primary source. Unless he told me otherwise, I was able to publish what he told me. Eventually he and Sharon became our close and trusted friends.

I did not say that Tom was involved in getting funding for the Pit Mine project. He found the mine and told his friends where it was. Without that, I don't believe that mine would have ever been reopened. IMHO, the Ted Cox story was just an opportunity for another interesting book.

Good luck,

Joe
    Bill Riley likes this.
    " Hell, I was there!" Elmer Keith
    "There is an ancient proverb that says a man can never forgive you for a wrong he has done you." From a wise friend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links