LiDAR surveys of the Superstitions?

jmandell42

Feb 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I visited the Superstitions last year and they've become one of my favorite places ever, and have been somewhat passively researching the Lost Dutchman legend and thinking out possible solutions. Does anyone know if there's ever been LiDAR scans of the area? I figure that might be the best method to track down the location of any possible manmade structures.

If the treasure is a true mine, there would likely be tailings, which I would imagine would be visible as a disturbance in elevation/morphology of the surrounding area on a LiDAR scan

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
So I visited the Superstitions last year and they've become one of my favorite places ever, and have been somewhat passively researching the Lost Dutchman legend and thinking out possible solutions. Does anyone know if there's ever been LiDAR scans of the area? I figure that might be the best method to track down the location of any possible manmade structures.

If the treasure is a true mine, there would likely be tailings, which I would imagine would be visible as a disturbance in elevation/morphology of the surrounding area on a LiDAR scan
according to the legends the indians covered all traces of the mines...probably dumped the tailings down the shaft ...alot of the mines i have seen in the supers have no tailings

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Howdy jmandell42, and welcome to T-Net & the LDM forum. I myself don't recall LiDAR being tried, and am not that familiar with it. I have suggested Infra-red images as a means to locate the portal, if one believes to be in right place. Those mountains are full of old diggings, and many hills have been blasted by past prospectors. That may interfere a LiDAR scan for finding the right ground disturbance you would be looking for, but that's just my 2 centavos. Look forward for more input.

Homar

OP
OP
J

jmandell42

Feb 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy jmandell42, and welcome to T-Net & the LDM forum. I myself don't recall LiDAR being tried, and am not that familiar with it. I have suggested Infra-red images as a means to locate the portal, if one believes to be in right place. Those mountains are full of old diggings, and many hills have been blasted by past prospectors. That may interfere a LiDAR scan for finding the right ground disturbance you would be looking for, but that's just my 2 centavos. Look forward for more input.

Homar

Thanks for the welcome, I look forward to hanging around here more! I appreciate the information about the work done in the area that may interfere with the arial search. During my years in school working on mesoamerican archeological sites we used LiDAR extensively, and figured it may be a viable option to help pin down a location if you have a general idea of where the mine may be

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions