Location of Valencia mine claim near Bumble Bee?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
azdave35,..... Some people may use rides on jeep tours to check out sites for theft or vandalism. But jeep tours are also a good way for people to learn about that theft and vandalism and what it is doing to Arizona. The two largest private collections of Arizona artifacts were owned by the CEO of APS and Barry Goldwater. Don't ask how they acquired those artifacts.
lol...dont have to ask....

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ed..dont show anyone and nobody will destroy it:icon_thumright:

I have no intentions to show said sites to anyone dave...lol...Heck...I won't even show my kids said sites...I have tried to convince them of their importance...Yet the are non believers...rofl

Go figure...

Ed T

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon Matthew: I am adding an epilogue to my last post. From what I saw on the site, it appeared to me that the owner of the mine was the one who bull dosed the site of the old stamp mill foundation. I would speculate that he was looking for gold that might have fallen thought the cracks of the mill. Just a guess on my part for I see no other reason for his dosing the site. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
S

Steve Jenkins

Sep 3, 2018
Cave Creek, Az
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No Dave. I worked for a company that has several very established tour routes that we stick to.

I explore on my own for my own amusement during the slow summer months and try to get off the beaten path during that type of thing.

Commercial tours have to be just a few hours in length from start to finish so there are a great many limitations in terms where that makes since.

The trip to Crown King would be for fun with friends.

Any trip to the Supers would be same lines.

I got a job as a tour guide because it allows be to be paid to enjoy the desert.

My interest in the LDM has more to do with my interest in history and solving puzzles.

OP
OP
S

Steve Jenkins

Sep 3, 2018
Cave Creek, Az
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am aware of a few interesting historical sights like this one that have been disassembled like described here, perhaps to keep folks from visiting.

The former Ghost town of Gillette is a perfect example. Other than the foundation of the Burfind Hotel, nothing is left except an open pit mine which was not originally part of the town. That location has as much history as any place I can imagine.

OP
OP
S

Steve Jenkins

Sep 3, 2018
Cave Creek, Az
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My interest in the mine in question in this post is related to the idea that JW might have had a Cache somewhere nortwest of Phoenix.

There seems to be a link between JW and Jack Swilling that goes back to employment at his Arastra if not longer. This mine and the Vulture mine were alleged to be among his best customers.

When the Vulture Mine received its first Stamp Mill, Swilling closed his arrastra and both him and JW sought employment at the Vulture Mine.

Pedro and Miguel Peralta not only had a connection to the Valencia mine, they operated a dry goods store out of Wockenburg during this time period. That would provide JW at least two opportunities to have met and developed a relationship with Miguel Peralta.

At some point the Valencia was claimed to have been attacked by Apache and a three day running gun battled is alleged to have occurred. I believe this event took place along the bloody basin area and perhaps along the area ranched by Richard Holmes and may have extended to as far as the location of his Onyx Mine near Seven Springs.

The story as I understand it involved the loss of all pack mules and the hiding of high grade ore that had been gathered up as the group fled.

I believe this event was first reported in a Prescott publication in 1892, the year after Jacob Waltz died in 1892.

My memory is hazy but I believe the name of the publication is the Prescott Prospector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steve Jenkins

Sep 3, 2018
Cave Creek, Az
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The company I work for operates out of Cave Creek. I could not imagine any way to keep our customers amused long enough to make any trip from there into the Bradshaw’s or the Supers to make any sense, but both areas are a fun place for me and close friends to elxplore when things get slow.

All of our tours are much closer to our home base and will stay that way.

For my personal trips I am much less limited but I prefer to explore areas with some historical significance. I have seen enough cactus and sand already but my interest in lost history seems to be far less limited.

Amazing how much knowledge there is on this forum.

Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My interest in the mine in question in this post is related to the idea that JW might have had a Cache somewhere nortwest of Phoenix.

There seems to be a link between JW and Jack Swilling that goes back to employment at his Arastra if not longer. This mine and the Vulture mine were alleged to be among his best customers.

When the Vulture Mine received its first Stamp Mill, Swilling closed his arrastra and both him and JW sought employment at the Vulture Mine.

Pedro and Miguel Peralta not only had a connection to the Valencia mine, they operated a dry goods store out of Wockenburg during this time period. That would provide JW at least two opportunities to have met and developed a relationship with Miguel Peralta.

At some point the Valencia was claimed to have been attacked by Apache and a three day running gun battled is alleged to have occurred. I believe this event took place along the bloody basin area and perhaps along the area ranched by Richard Holmes and may have extended to as far as the location of his Onyx Mine near Seven Springs.

The story as I understand it involved the loss of all pack mules and the hiding of high grade ore that had been gathered up as the group fled.

I believe this event was first reported in a Prescott publication in 1892, the year after Jacob Waltz died in 1892.

My memory is hazy but I believe the name of the publication is the Prescott Prospector.

Steve Jenkins,

Hard to believe in this day and age but Jack Swillings stone house built in 1870 is still standing along the Agua Fria River near the intersection of Mechling and Valley drive's in Black Canyon City, Arizona. Several people are buried just in front of the stone structure including at least one of Swillings children and Jacob Snively, a friend of Swilling's from Phoenix who was killed by Apache Indians.

The Swilling dwelling is on private land and I believe is a registered historic site. It can be viewed and photographed with the owners permission.

IMG_7734.JPG

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other

Hi Steve,

Which arrastra are you referring to? Could be wrong, but I don’t believe Swilling “worked” for the Vulture, for a few months in early 1866, he operated and then bought the Curtain-Chase mill that served the Vulture. Is this what you’re referring to?

If you’ve seen anything that links Waltz to Swilling during this timeframe, I think everyone here would be interested in hearing more about it. Take care, Jim

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Hi Steve,

Which arrastra are you referring to? Could be wrong, but I don’t believe Swilling “worked” for the Vulture, for a few months in early 1866, he operated and then bought the Curtain-Chase mill that served the Vulture. Is this what you’re referring to?

If you’ve seen anything that links Waltz to Swilling during this timeframe, I think everyone here would be interested in hearing more about it. Take care, Jim

Boy I have a lot of documents I would love to share with you guys but because of treasurenet user agreements I cant post it here.. I have jack swillings mining claim notices all signed and located as well as all total info on the Valencia mine on bumblebee rd...BLM removed both sets of the Peralta arastras along the black canyon and old stagecoach road. db
. Ps you will have to wait until I reveal in a national media source where I still retain my personal information rights...if I post on t.net they lay claim to all media posted .. I learned the hard way...as you all know I hardly ever post on t.net any more.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy I have a lot of documents I would love to share with you guys but because of treasurenet user agreements I cant post it here.. I have jack swillings mining claim notices all signed and located as well as all total info on the Valencia mine on bumblebee rd...BLM removed both sets of the Peralta arastras along the black canyon and old stagecoach road. db
. Ps you will have to wait until I reveal in a national media source where I still retain my personal information rights...if I post on t.net they lay claim to all media posted .. I learned the hard way...as you all know I hardly ever post on t.net any more.

Hi Dan,

I'm not sure I would expect any national media source to be any different than TNET...i.e. they would retain copyright to anything they published. Perhaps transcribing or taking pictures and posting it on your own website would be the cheapest and quickest way to retain copyright to yourself? I think as long as you have a copyright notice on your website, then that content is protected. Something to think about, anyway. Take care, Jim

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nowadays I post a lot of useless manure here on tnet...Oh well...They can have it all free of charge for what it is worth...lol

Ed T

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont feel bad..most of what is posted here is doo-doo

I don't feel bad dave...I had noticed long ago that which you stated...That is one of the main reasons I deleted my previous posts under my old screen name and filed a copyright case against tn...lol...That may be why they changed their posting rules...But IF a person really wanted to get technical...TN is in violation of copyright law trying to state that they hold copyright to any material posted on this site...According to copyright law the person who posts any material online is the copyright holder of any and all material one posts on any website...No matter what any website tries to claim...That is unless the material one posts has already been copyrighted somewhere else by someone else...

Ed T

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is some interesting info DanB...https://www.lawfirms.com/resources/...-intellectual-property/copyright-internet.htm

Heck...I have over one thousand poems posted on a poetry website even though I am not a published poet...I may not have published a book but I do have enough poems to fill a few books IF I ever do decide to publish...And I feel I hold the copyright to all of my works...Even IF it is a bunch of manure...I believe I know a thing or two about copyrighted material...lol

Ed T

Last edited:

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Ok here is one of the pages I have...this is a Peralta mine claim back in the day... Resized_Screenshot_2016-02-11-23-52-04.jpeg

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DanB, ..... Thanks Dan, the claim paper is the 1878 relocation of the original 1864 Peralta claim which was named the la Valencia. Your post proves the la Valencia and the Valenciana are indeed one and the same mine.

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
I have the Peralta paperwork that says where the arastras are located in relationship to the Valencia mine....as well have all geological reports core counts GPS locations and full assay values...they are quite impressive. Swilling was a co_ owner as well...at one time when the river behind his house flowed he would charge $10 to float a wagon across the river with his ferry....I have a boat load of info...sorry would love to share more...db

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread