Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree25Likes
  • 10 Post By PotBelly Jim
  • 3 Post By Carrol
  • 2 Post By azdave35
  • 2 Post By PotBelly Jim
  • 1 Post By azdave35
  • 1 Post By Loke
  • 3 Post By Cubfan64
  • 1 Post By Thirsty44
  • 2 Post By Rick K

Thread: Superstition Country Map

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    419
    1264 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Superstition Country Map

    Superstition Country Map

    Having become frustrated at constantly switching between USGS topo maps when doing LDM research, I decided to make one large map as a cure for tearing what little remains of my hair out.

    I stitched together around 10 or so 1:24,000 scale topo maps of the Supes and surrounding area, and posted it to my Google Drive. I had sent it around earlier to several people who in my opinion are subject matter experts, many thanks to those who provided feedback.

    I believe it has had sufficient “expert eyes on” at this point to be fairly confident in releasing it to everyone. Other than a few instances of lackluster map-stitching on my part, it should be fairly usable.

    Fair Warning: It’s an 80MB jpeg file. It was intended to be used on computer/phone screens vice printing it out. A few people had mentioned printing it, more fair warning: I had to compress the images to keep the file size down, and while it looks OK on a computer screen, I don’t think it would print very well, I.E. it might be a little fuzzy. Also, the actual size is about 10 feet square.

    I have tried downloading to both computers and phones and it works well. Others have also had good results using it that way. It should open in any old picture viewing software, but keep in mind it will probably open at a very large scale, and you have to “zoom in” on the map in order to get any detail.

    Here’s the download link:

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i3z...ew?usp=sharing

    If anyone finds any problems with the map please post here so I can fix it. I put a version number on it, so if/when it gets updated or changed, people can easily compare what version they have to what’s current.
    azdave35, davin, deducer and 7 others like this.

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Mr.

    Apr 2015
    AZ
    Old Compass, I have 3 of them!!
    589
    1187 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thank's Jim....It will certainly come in handy if I decide to highlight my dads claims & saguaro markers & other finds on it!

  3. #3
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,188
    4993 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PotBelly Jim View Post
    Superstition Country Map

    Having become frustrated at constantly switching between USGS topo maps when doing LDM research, I decided to make one large map as a cure for tearing what little remains of my hair out.

    I stitched together around 10 or so 1:24,000 scale topo maps of the Supes and surrounding area, and posted it to my Google Drive. I had sent it around earlier to several people who in my opinion are subject matter experts, many thanks to those who provided feedback.

    I believe it has had sufficient “expert eyes on” at this point to be fairly confident in releasing it to everyone. Other than a few instances of lackluster map-stitching on my part, it should be fairly usable.

    Fair Warning: It’s an 80MB jpeg file. It was intended to be used on computer/phone screens vice printing it out. A few people had mentioned printing it, more fair warning: I had to compress the images to keep the file size down, and while it looks OK on a computer screen, I don’t think it would print very well, I.E. it might be a little fuzzy. Also, the actual size is about 10 feet square.

    I have tried downloading to both computers and phones and it works well. Others have also had good results using it that way. It should open in any old picture viewing software, but keep in mind it will probably open at a very large scale, and you have to “zoom in” on the map in order to get any detail.

    Here’s the download link:

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i3z...ew?usp=sharing

    If anyone finds any problems with the map please post here so I can fix it. I put a version number on it, so if/when it gets updated or changed, people can easily compare what version they have to what’s current.
    thanks jim...this will definitely come in handy

  4. #4
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    419
    1264 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks, Gents. I also forgot to thank Deducer, who some time ago recommended I try Google Drive...I was complaining to him about not knowing how to post large files and he was the one that told me to try it...made life easier that's for sure...so thank you Deducer!
    coazon de oro and deducer like this.

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Mr.

    Apr 2015
    AZ
    Old Compass, I have 3 of them!!
    589
    1187 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Jim, in square 33 just above the word "country" there is a water tank. do you have any idea
    what that was for?
    Last edited by Carrol; Mar 17, 2019 at 09:52 PM.

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    419
    1264 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrol View Post
    Jim, in square 33 there is a water tank. do you have any idea
    what that was for?
    The one by King's Ranch? I think those little red numbers in the squares are township ranges, but I don't know for sure...anyway, no I'm not that familiar with the area, Dave might know.

  7. #7
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,188
    4993 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrol View Post
    Jim, in square 33 just above the word "country" there is a water tank. do you have any idea
    what that was for?
    carrol....it might have been water storage for the ranch
    Carrol likes this.

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    Mr.

    Apr 2015
    AZ
    Old Compass, I have 3 of them!!
    589
    1187 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Dave, i'm not seeing that special road on the map?

  9. #9
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,188
    4993 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrol View Post
    Dave, i'm not seeing that special road on the map?
    its a newer edition topo

  10. #10
    no
    Mar 2010
    Republic of Texas
    545
    1195 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thank you, Jim - that's awesome! At one point I tried to do the same myself - with rather limited success I am afraid ... :-(
    Yours is far superior! :-)
    PotBelly Jim likes this.
    A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine

  11. #11
    us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    2,810
    2180 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    My mind must be playing tricks on me. It looks like you (Potbelly Jim) are sharing something on TNet - I believe that goes against the rules here. What you should have said is "I have an extensive map of the Superstitions I've been working on that's easy to read and useful for making notes and picturing where things are, but I can't share it at this time"

    You obviously haven't gotten the memo that cooperation is frowned upon here.

    Loke, PotBelly Jim and gollum like this.
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

  12. #12
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    419
    1264 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan64 View Post
    My mind must be playing tricks on me. It looks like you (Potbelly Jim) are sharing something on TNet - I believe that goes against the rules here. What you should have said is "I have an extensive map of the Superstitions I've been working on that's easy to read and useful for making notes and picturing where things are, but I can't share it at this time"

    You obviously haven't gotten the memo that cooperation is frowned upon here.

    Perhaps... But I've been lucky in that so many knowledgeable people have freely shared information/data with me, one of the chief contributors well known on here who's initials are CubFan64...have a good week my friend, don't work too hard!

  13. #13
    us
    Apr 2009
    17
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PotBelly Jim View Post
    The one by King's Ranch? I think those little red numbers in the squares are township ranges, but I don't know for sure...anyway, no I'm not that familiar with the area, Dave might know.
    Thanks very much for sharing, this is a great map.

    BTW, in case anybody's wondering, the little red numbers are section numbers. Each section is a square mile, outlined in red on the map. There are 36 sections per township.
    PotBelly Jim likes this.

  14. #14
    us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    664
    576 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The water tank mark on the Topo is located where there is now a private residence with a couple of water features. Check it out on Google earth. There is no ranch at King Ranch, it has been a small resort since the 1950’s and now is a residential area.
    PotBelly Jim and Carrol like this.

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Superstition Mountains!!!
    By RequiemOfPhantom in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct 14, 2017, 01:41 PM
  2. Superstition Saguaro
    By John_Arizona in forum My Daily Snapshot
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb 09, 2015, 09:04 AM
  3. Superstition Mountain
    By John_Arizona in forum My Daily Snapshot
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb 03, 2015, 09:57 PM
  4. Foreign silver from another country, country #5
    By Yinzi50 in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep 20, 2014, 04:15 PM
  5. Hike into the Superstitions for X-mas
    By BenThereDoneThat in forum Arizona
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jan 19, 2010, 07:28 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0