Superstition Country Map

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Superstition Country Map

Having become frustrated at constantly switching between USGS topo maps when doing LDM research, I decided to make one large map as a cure for tearing what little remains of my hair out.

I stitched together around 10 or so 1:24,000 scale topo maps of the Supes and surrounding area, and posted it to my Google Drive. I had sent it around earlier to several people who in my opinion are subject matter experts, many thanks to those who provided feedback.

I believe it has had sufficient “expert eyes on” at this point to be fairly confident in releasing it to everyone. Other than a few instances of lackluster map-stitching on my part, it should be fairly usable.

Fair Warning: It’s an 80MB jpeg file. It was intended to be used on computer/phone screens vice printing it out. A few people had mentioned printing it, more fair warning: I had to compress the images to keep the file size down, and while it looks OK on a computer screen, I don’t think it would print very well, I.E. it might be a little fuzzy. Also, the actual size is about 10 feet square.

I have tried downloading to both computers and phones and it works well. Others have also had good results using it that way. It should open in any old picture viewing software, but keep in mind it will probably open at a very large scale, and you have to “zoom in” on the map in order to get any detail.

Here’s the download link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i3zoDRgMFDmzRH2vyTfjkzytyX1lVP8h/view?usp=sharing

If anyone finds any problems with the map please post here so I can fix it. I put a version number on it, so if/when it gets updated or changed, people can easily compare what version they have to what’s current.

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank's Jim....It will certainly come in handy if I decide to highlight my dads claims & saguaro markers & other finds on it!

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Superstition Country Map

Having become frustrated at constantly switching between USGS topo maps when doing LDM research, I decided to make one large map as a cure for tearing what little remains of my hair out.

I stitched together around 10 or so 1:24,000 scale topo maps of the Supes and surrounding area, and posted it to my Google Drive. I had sent it around earlier to several people who in my opinion are subject matter experts, many thanks to those who provided feedback.

I believe it has had sufficient “expert eyes on” at this point to be fairly confident in releasing it to everyone. Other than a few instances of lackluster map-stitching on my part, it should be fairly usable.

Fair Warning: It’s an 80MB jpeg file. It was intended to be used on computer/phone screens vice printing it out. A few people had mentioned printing it, more fair warning: I had to compress the images to keep the file size down, and while it looks OK on a computer screen, I don’t think it would print very well, I.E. it might be a little fuzzy. Also, the actual size is about 10 feet square.

I have tried downloading to both computers and phones and it works well. Others have also had good results using it that way. It should open in any old picture viewing software, but keep in mind it will probably open at a very large scale, and you have to “zoom in” on the map in order to get any detail.

Here’s the download link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i3zoDRgMFDmzRH2vyTfjkzytyX1lVP8h/view?usp=sharing

If anyone finds any problems with the map please post here so I can fix it. I put a version number on it, so if/when it gets updated or changed, people can easily compare what version they have to what’s current.
thanks jim...this will definitely come in handy

OP
OP
PotBelly Jim

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Gents. I also forgot to thank Deducer, who some time ago recommended I try Google Drive...I was complaining to him about not knowing how to post large files and he was the one that told me to try it...made life easier that's for sure...so thank you Deducer!

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, in square 33 just above the word "country" there is a water tank. do you have any idea
what that was for?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PotBelly Jim

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim, in square 33 there is a water tank. do you have any idea
what that was for?

The one by King's Ranch? I think those little red numbers in the squares are township ranges, but I don't know for sure...anyway, no I'm not that familiar with the area, Dave might know.

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, i'm not seeing that special road on the map?

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Jim - that's awesome! At one point I tried to do the same myself - with rather limited success I am afraid ... :-(
Yours is far superior! :-)

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mind must be playing tricks on me. It looks like you (Potbelly Jim) are sharing something on TNet - I believe that goes against the rules here. What you should have said is "I have an extensive map of the Superstitions I've been working on that's easy to read and useful for making notes and picturing where things are, but I can't share it at this time"

You obviously haven't gotten the memo that cooperation is frowned upon here.

:tongue3:

OP
OP
PotBelly Jim

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
My mind must be playing tricks on me. It looks like you (Potbelly Jim) are sharing something on TNet - I believe that goes against the rules here. What you should have said is "I have an extensive map of the Superstitions I've been working on that's easy to read and useful for making notes and picturing where things are, but I can't share it at this time"

You obviously haven't gotten the memo that cooperation is frowned upon here.

:tongue3:

Perhaps...:laughing7: But I've been lucky in that so many knowledgeable people have freely shared information/data with me, one of the chief contributors well known on here who's initials are CubFan64...have a good week my friend, don't work too hard!:icon_thumleft:

Thirsty44

Greenie
Apr 9, 2009
The one by King's Ranch? I think those little red numbers in the squares are township ranges, but I don't know for sure...anyway, no I'm not that familiar with the area, Dave might know.

Thanks very much for sharing, this is a great map.

BTW, in case anybody's wondering, the little red numbers are section numbers. Each section is a square mile, outlined in red on the map. There are 36 sections per township.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The water tank mark on the Topo is located where there is now a private residence with a couple of water features. Check it out on Google earth. There is no ranch at King Ranch, it has been a small resort since the 1950’s and now is a residential area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread